Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Elite Fan

#202 "The Awakening Conscience" Episode Discussion

"The Awakening Conscience"
Air Date: January 14, 2013
Synopsis: Bay enrolls in an experimental program at Carlton for siblings of deaf students. Elsewhere, Toby embarks on a romance with Nikki, but then he pulls back after he finds a distasteful picture of her on the Internet; and Regina learns about Angelo's baby.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new thread, Alyssya.

Ugh, I hate how the synopsis is already referring to it as Angelo's baby.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Master Fan

He did ask for a DNA test, so it still might not be Angelo's baby. But I hope it is.

I want Bay to have a half-sibling. Babies are wonderful. Family is wonderful. Plus, I like the idea that seeing the baby might give Emmett & Bay the idea of having a baby of their own.

My mom became pregnant with me, and five months later my brother and his wife announced they were having a baby. And two years later my sister and her husband announced they were having a baby. Even though, my brother and sister are 20 and 18 years older than me, they really love me and I am so blessed to have them in my life.

Plus, now, I have two nephews close to my age. I love it!

So younger siblings can be a good thing (at least, I like to think they can!).
Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
He did ask for a DNA test, so it still might not be Angelo's baby. But I hope it is.

I want Bay to have a half-sibling. Babies are wonderful. Family is wonderful. Plus, I like the idea that seeing the baby might give Emmett & Bay the idea of having a baby of their own.

My mom became pregnant with me, and five months later my brother and his wife announced they were having a baby. And two years later my sister and her husband announced they were having a baby. Even though, my brother and sister are 20 and 18 years older than me, they really love me and I am so blessed to have them in my life.

Younger siblings can be a pain in the ass. I have a younger brother and he LOVES to get on my nerves just because he can.. I love him but man. I'd love to shove a sock in his mouth
Old 01-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Thanks for the new thread, Alyssa.
Welcome!

Quote:

Aw. Amy, you're so optimistic. I love that. Growing up I felt different because I am the product of my dad's second marriage, so technically my siblings are my half siblings and they are 10 and 12 years older than me respectively. I didn't know many people who had half siblings, you know? But now it's more common.

I always wanted to be the older sibling, but I've accepted being the youngest. I know we get bad raps as being the spoiled ones, but I swear younger siblings are not always that bad. I think I felt more pressure to be "good" actually as my sibs could be wild children. But that being said, it's always endearing to hear my brother and sister say how great it was watching me grow up. So, I wouldn't mind Bay being an older sister, but I'd rather it be to a baby from Angelo AND Regina.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)
But that being said, it's always endearing to hear my brother and sister say how great it was watching me grow up. So, I wouldn't mind Bay being an older sister, but I'd rather it be to a baby from Angelo AND Regina.
When there is a big age difference, I do believe older siblings get joy from watching younger ones. That's sweet, Alyssa!

It would be nice if Angelo & Regina could raise a baby together. It's sad to think of all they missed out on, and this new baby will make Regina even more aware of what they lost.

I really hope, though, that she can get past all of that and focus on what she has. Because no matter what you lose, there are blessings to be appreciated.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Addicted Fan

i liked the episode. the bay at carlton stuff should be interesting and provide some good plots.

daphne's plot didn't really interest me this episode though.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 PM
Addicted Fan

I loved the Emmett and Bay scenes.. They shine with their chemistry. A side note.. Emmett won't be able to play the "friend" for long.. He'll have to shut the friendship door for good before he does end up friend zoned like Daphne.

Bay - I feel for her and the bullying.. Natalie needs to pull the stick out of her rear end.. She's acting incredibly selfish and just downright mean.. Sorry but she had the volleyball coming to her from Bay. Nice touch on her working at the car wash to work off the money she stole. She really didn't think this whole Carlton thing through.. It would of been a better solution if she only went to Carlton for part of the day and rest of the day could be at Buckner. Cute scenes with her and Teo

Natalie- Does she have a thing for Emmett?

Emmett- He is completely clueless about Bay being bullied.

Daphne - She is clearly floundering about what to do next.

Toby/Nikki-They're cute and also, surprising Toby wanted to sleep with her and him being not knowing if he could trust her.

The band - nice as ever and Emmett's classic drum thing lol.

Regina/Angelo - They never stop the crap with them do they?

Lana-Regina - The insecurity spoke volumes on Regina's part.

Regina/Bay - Nice little scene.

Kathryn/John - Ehh. I'm not so overly impressed with them.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This was a good episode. I enjoyed all the characters and the different aspects to relationships being explored.

Daphne - I feel for her, she's kind of in a rut right now, trying to figure out what to do next to move on. I admired what she wanted to do, though, which was give something back to her old community and I respect that she wanted to do it on her own terms. I understood John's point of view but overall, I like the bit of John/Daphne bonding we got out of this episode. In the end, he chose to help and support her decision. But that guy from the old neighborhood was being a class A resentful jerk! He needed to pull the resentful stick out of his arse and stop acting so discriminatory just because he's really latino from the community while Daphne isn't really latino. At least, not genetically speaking, but if we want to get into culture and being raised within the environment for most of her life, I think an argument can be made that that's not entirely true. It was just as much her neighborhood, she grew up with what is likely a similar set of circumstances (if not more additional challenges with going deaf at such a young age), and if she wants to give something back to it, it's her right. Cutting the line from her truck was over the top and just plain childish.

With that said, interesting parallel though this episode for Daphne and Bay. Daphne had to deal with this bias coming from her old neighborhood (virtually feeling kicked out and not accepted since her biological origins of affluence have been revealed) and Bay had to deal with the reverse bias coming from Natalie at Carlton.

Daphne|Bay|Toby: Lol - I loved their three-way interaction at the beginning of the episode when Kathryn and John pulled them together to let them know he was running for office. They really came across like real siblings, it was refreshing to see that.

Bay: I felt bad for her at Carlton, she was really just trying to be herself, and it wasn't working. I'm not sure what Natalie's own experiences are with hearing people, I can maybe give her a small benefit of the doubt if she's used to similar treatment from the hearing community, like Travis - but come on now. That hasn't even been revealed yet and alot of her treatment towards Bay was just over the top. Signing what a 'yaya' she is and making fun of another person who is trying to accomodate themselves into your environment and be open to it, well, let's be blunt. It's just distasteful, disrespectful, and discriminatory. Reverse discrimination is not cool and it's not okay to mistreat someone 'on the other side of the fence' just because other members of 'said group' have been guilty of bias in the past. The entire hearing community is not bad and I think the pilot program is a good idea so that the two cultures can meet, learn how to respect each other and each other's differences, and finally, to integrate into co-existing peacefully. No offense, lol, but right now - Natalie looks like she's in need of joining her own 'pilot program' right out of Carlton and straight into a hearing school environment. I think she needs a good reminder that this kind of treatment does not feel good, and it's not okay. I think her isolation inside of a completely non-hearing environment has gone straight to her head.

Bay's interactions with that new guy, Teo??!, were funny, though. LOL.

Bay|Emmett: We got some real cute moments shared between them which was good. I'm glad that Emmett was so supportive of Bay coming to the school and that's he's been around to check up and see how things are. I do wonder if he knows more about Natalie that we don't - in order for him to try and convince Bay that she's really not that bad.

And Bay's student ID?! LOL - that was freaking hilarious and then Emmett disposing it for her so she could take a new one.

Regina: I do feel really bad for her here. She is stuck inside of a new set of circumstances she in no way is responsible for creating: a new baby by another woman. Whether or not this child resulted out of cheating, I don't think is really the issue in this episode (since it's not really clear that Regina|Angelo were still together back when they first met up again). I think this is more about how a significant other's past mistakes can be resurrected and then come back to impact everyone. Regina could claim all she wants that she only married Angelo for immigration purposes but I think there was always this part of her, deep down, that wanted this marriage for real. She hides behind this non-chalant attitude with Angelo and the marriage, tried to pretend that his relations with other women in the past didn't phase her, but I do think this has hit her hard emotionally and she feels insecure about this new pregnant woman suddenly being in the picture. Completely understandable. Plus, it's got to hurt to consider the possibility of having to watch Angelo stick by a one-night stand and her baby, in order to help raise the child, while constantly being reminded that they had a history and he still walked out on her and Daphne.

Bay|Regina: I was happy to see we got a scene with them. I think they were slowly start to open up more to each other but I like that Regina attempted to reach out and relate to Bay regarding her issues with being at Carlton compared to her experiences when Daphne went deaf and she first entered the non-hearing community herself.

Toby|Nikki: I'm glad that Toby had a turn about by the end of the episode because I got to say, I was pretty much on Nikki's side regarding her reformed life and the lifestyle choices she was trying to hold to in the present time. Plus, it was a bit hypocritical to get mad over that photo, which she coped to being a mistake of her past when she was going through a rough period (she wasn't even really condoning it) yet he wasn't really onboard with her decision not to have sex?! Not cool. But, I think his small chat with Kathryn helped him to see things from a different perspective, which was good, and he did the right thing in trying to make amends.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.

Last edited by GrhmLz; 01-15-2013 at 12:10 PM
Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Elite Fan

Heather, I love your critique.

I am just so beat tonight that I really can't articulate a good thought out response, so I'll have to come back, but while I agree that Bay at Carlton should yield some good stories, I'm confused as to how Carlton is going about with this. I think they need to explain it more, I mean the logistics of the program. Bay fortunately has signing experience with Daphne and her relationship with Emmett and even Travis, but Teo was lost, and frankly, Bay was too.

I understand that immersing yourself into a language is a good way to learn it, but I wouldn't have just walked into an AP Spanish class in high school without taking beginner's Spanish. I get that Bay has experience, but Bay aside, if these kids are going to be lost the whole time it won't help. This isn't one ASL class; this is an entire program. It seemed odd to just throw them in there without any help.

I don't know. Somehow I'm not too sure an actual program would run that way, or at least they should have made them take some sort of test to see how well they signed (or if they signed).

I'll come back tomorrow when I can think of more

Oh, except I wasn't happy with Toby being THAT guy. Glad he came around at the end.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerfan714 (View Post)
Heather, I love your critique.

I am just so beat tonight that I really can't articulate a good thought out response, so I'll have to come back, but while I agree that Bay at Carlton should yield some good stories, I'm confused as to how Carlton is going about with this. I think they need to explain it more, I mean the logistics of the program. Bay fortunately has signing experience with Daphne and her relationship with Emmett and even Travis, but Teo was lost, and frankly, Bay was too.

I understand that immersing yourself into a language is a good way to learn it, but I wouldn't have just walked into an AP Spanish class in high school without taking beginner's Spanish. I get that Bay has experience, but Bay aside, if these kids are going to be lost the whole time it won't help. This isn't one ASL class; this is an entire program. It seemed odd to just throw them in there without any help.

I don't know. Somehow I'm not too sure an actual program would run that way, or at least they should have made them take some sort of test to see how well they signed (or if they signed).

I'll come back tomorrow when I can think of more

Oh, except I wasn't happy with Toby being THAT guy. Glad he came around at the end.

Thanks.

Lol, yeah, I took some Spanish in high school. But then i went to community college for 2 years before going to a University, so I was way out of touch with it. At the University, I had to take a language as an elective in order to graduate. I related to what was going on at Carleton because pretty much what was going on there in that classroom, resembled a beginner's Spanish course even in college. Trust me, you feel completely lost, because you literally do 'immerse' and the professors teach the entire class in the foreign language. Fluently too. It takes awhile to break apart some of what they are saying because some do talk faster than others. I think it's all in the teacher you get.

The only difference at Carleton is that obviously students like Bay and Teo in the pilot program, probably feel even more isolated because they are not as 'fluent' as the rest of the classroom. At least in my experience, the entire class was learning from scratch so you didn't feel as embarrassed to make mistakes or not understand something.

That ... and they have to experience every class that way.

Agreed --> with the Toby thing.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah. It would be one thing if it was one class, but a whole program and it's like "well, here you go."

Just a bit strange. I mean, it seems like Teo has no signing experience whatsoever. I guess I don't get how they want them do get along.

So. Some thoughts.

John/Kathryn: Sadly, I am bored with this story already. I don't know. And then all the references to Bill and Hilary...well, I don't know. Just no more affairs or cheating or some ridiculous revelation someone digs up while John is campaigning.

Poor Regina That scene with her and Lana in the elevator? Aw. Here comes this beautiful woman who is carrying Angelo's kid and is younger and successful and she feels like a loser.

Daphne: I like that she's not thinking about Jeff and is onto the food truck business, and I liked her talk with John. I hope she is successful with it. But shrimp tacos? Not something I'd go for.

Bay: Glad that she's excited about school, but I feel bad for her and this Natalie chick. Hopefully her and Teo will look out for each other. Also, nice scene with Bay and Emmett
Old 01-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah. It would be one thing if it was one class, but a whole program and it's like "well, here you go."

Just a bit strange. I mean, it seems like Teo has no signing experience whatsoever. I guess I don't get how they want them do get along.

So. Some thoughts.

John/Kathryn: Sadly, I am bored with this story already. I don't know. And then all the references to Bill and Hilary...well, I don't know. Just no more affairs or cheating or some ridiculous revelation someone digs up while John is campaigning.

Poor Regina That scene with her and Lana in the elevator? Aw. Here comes this beautiful woman who is carrying Angelo's kid and is younger and successful and she feels like a loser.

Daphne: I like that she's not thinking about Jeff and is onto the food truck business, and I liked her talk with John. I hope she is successful with it. But shrimp tacos? Not something I'd go for.

Bay: Glad that she's excited about school, but I feel bad for her and this Natalie chick. Hopefully her and Teo will look out for each other. Also, nice scene with Bay and Emmett
Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Shrimp tacos aren't something I'd really go for either but that's because I'm allergic.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrhmLz (View Post)
Shrimp tacos aren't something I'd really go for either but that's because I'm allergic.
I love shrimp tacos (well, any kind of tacos really).

Did anyone notice how Toby called John the "boss" man when they were discussing prices for the tacos? It seems sort of strange, because it is Daphne's truck. Maybe it is because it was parked at the car wash?

I did love how Toby called Daphne "Taco Girl". I thought that was some sweet brother/sister bonding!