Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 AM
Moderator Manager

4x11 - "New Years Eve" Episode Discussion

Jay is so excited, having planned for the whole family to celebrate New Year’s together at this great hotel in Palm Springs. However, when the hotel turns out to be less than stellar, everyone starts to branch off to do their own thing, leaving Jay dejected — that is until he runs into the one and only Billy Dee Williams! Meanwhile back at home, Haley and Alex watch over the kids, which proves to be quite a challenge.

Directed by: Fred Goss
Written by: Abraham Higginbotham, Jeffrey Richman
Executive Producer: Steven Levitan, Christopher Lloyd

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

In the Manny plot, I went from feeling like the girl was very rude to him when their "date" first started to him acting like a jerk after he found out she just wanted to be friends. Odd plot.

Loved Alex and Haley babysitting Luke- and not babysitting Lily.

"Is anybody watching me?"

Haley's line about owing her mother an apology was also great.

Mitch and Cam trying to find a bar to go in was hilarious. Also enjoyed the Phil/Clare and Jay plots.

Billy Dee Williams a perfect cameo for a retro feel episode.

I liked how age and expectations of age tied all the plots together:

-Jay wanting to recapture the feel of his NYEs from the 70's.
-Phil and Clare worrying about becoming old because they hadn't had sex in a month.
-Cam and Mitch feeling that way because they can never make it awake to midnight.
-Haley both feeling left behind because of her dropping out of college and her never wanting to see Luke grow up. And even Luke and Manny wanting to grow up, by having those girls over to make out with.

Oh and speaking of Luke- another great moment with him when he shot himself in the head with the nerf gun and said I'm out when the girls showed up at the house.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
Old 01-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Moderator Support Team

^ Yeah, I feel the same way as you.. Even Manny plot even I felt like it was weird or something.. Oh well..

I really enjoy Mitch/Cam and Phil/Clarie so far.. Plus I love how Jay was trying to show his family about what's so special about that place.. But at least they all enjoy it at the end of the night..

are you sleepy? wanna sleep?
is that what you want?

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 01-12-2013, 04:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This was a great episode! The plots were all so different, which made it interesting and I agree with a lot of your post JustMe2000!

I agree particularly about the Manny plot. I thought it would make more sense that after Manny stood up to her for her to apologise, and then maybe they could bond over that, not Manny being surprised that she wanted to be friends. Maybe they tried too much with that story.

I was also surprised Luke wanted to "make out" with the girl since before then he hadn't shown any interest in girls. Seemed a little quick. But I love the girls being protective. Especially Haley finding herself in that mother role.

Phil/Claire was a great story. Can totally understand that they miss being around each other and we had some great romance moments, although typically the moment was ruined Mitch and Cam was also good. Showing that they miss the old days.

"Growing old will suck, but as long as I have you, I will feel invincible."
Old 01-13-2013, 04:42 AM
Moderator Manager

I loved the episode too! I like that the adults took a break and celebrated NYE "together" even if it wasn't what Jay would have wanted.

I agree about the Manny storyline too as well as Luke's. I think it's too soon for both, especially for Luke as we haven't seen him crush on girls. Also what is up with Gloria driving that car? She's not allowed to drive given that her tummy's too huge already.

I love how Phil & Claire wanted time together and Mitch & Cam want to really be up for NYD. I know I've been wishing for some P/C moments and this episode did not disappoint. That nude hot springs bit was hilarious! It was funny too with how Mitch & Cam celebrated theirs and being the very young ones in that pub with all those old people. I also love how Gloria was sleeping during their family dinner and Jay was able to spend time with one of his idols, Billy Dee Williams.

I love Haley & Alex too on this one. They're so overprotective of Luke that they forgot to babysit Lily. I love that the scene of Haley opening Luke's room was reminiscent of when Claire wanted her door open when Dylan was over.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Gloria is so heavily pregnant she shouldn't be doing stuff like that, I agree.

It was great that Haley saying to keep the door open was so familiar with the pilot. Like the tables were turned!

Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 AM
Moderator Manager

From the moment she was climbing the stairs with Alex, I had this feeling that it was Claire back in S1 wanting that door open at Haley's room.

I think I will re-watch this again later. I really loved the ending too where they all were together in the end talking about the crazy things that happened to them.

Oh and Haley & Alex toasting to a quiet New Year is really what me & my sisters should have one of these days. But as far as I can remember, I've never had a quiet new years eve/day here.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm glad that Haley stayed in this new years, and gave her a chance to reflect on how her mum felt when she first started dating And it reminded me of my new years, it was me and my brother drinking and enjoying each other's company!

Old 01-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Moderator Manager

Same here, the episode also reminded me of traditions we do. Much like Gloria with the grapes (and Rafa Nadal's tweet picture of him with the grapes on NYE, haha), we buy 12 fruits to represent every month of the calendar which means we'd have plenty of food to eat all year round. That's only a part of the many superstitious stuff we do on NYE.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That sounds like a nice tradition Lindz!