Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Master Fan

4x09 Episode Discussion - "When A Tree Falls"

CAMERON AND MITCHELL GIVE TREE HUGGING A TRY -- BUT WILL THEY TAKE IT TOO FAR? -- ON ABC'S "MODERN FAMILY"

Quote:
Paul Scheer ("The League") Guest Stars
"When a Tree Falls" - With some urging, Mitch joins in on Cam's efforts to save an old tree in the park, but just how far will they go? Jay and Manny are each pushed beyond their comfort zones when they attend a kid's Olympics-themed birthday party, and Claire brings Gloria along on a Costco run -- but add in a "pregnancy brain" and it makes for quite an eventful trip -- on "Modern Family," WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 28 (9:00-9:31 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

"Modern Family" stars Ed O'Neill as Jay, Julie Bowen as Claire, Ty Burrell as Phil, Sofía Vergara as Gloria, Jesse Tyler Ferguson as Mitchell, Eric Stonestreet as Cameron, Sarah Hyland as Haley, Nolan Gould as Luke, Ariel Winter as Alex, Rico Rodriguez as Manny and Aubrey Anderson-Emmons as Lily.

Guest cast includes Paul Scheer as manager, Alex Fernandez as worker, Larry Herron as good cop, Drew Powell as Terry aka bad cop, Michael C. Alexander as security guard, Kevin High as Bill, Bob Wiltfong as Jerry, Nicholas Furu as Doug and Peter Douglas as fireman.

"When a Tree Falls" was written by Ben Karlin and directed by Steven Levitan.
Eric Stonestreet - Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series Emmy 2010/2012
Old 11-29-2012, 07:38 AM
Moderator Support Team

This episode was hilarious.. I laugh at almost everything, but the most part was Cam when he fell out of the tree..

And I can't believe that Phil actually really fight w/ Jay since I thought that he won't able to do that.. But poor him..

are you sleepy? wanna sleep?
is that what you want?

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 11-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'll probably need to rewatch this, as when I watched it I had family over so I was only half paying attention.

What I loved was Claire and Gloria spending time together, even Gloria using her brains to help them get out of there, and doing it for Claire. I loved seeing Haley and Alex back together again, Alex trying so hard to get her own back at Haley for taking embarassing photos only for it to backfire, seriously. And I love that Phil beat Jay up Finally!

"Growing old will suck, but as long as I have you, I will feel invincible."
Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I got a kick out of seeing Manny telling the same type of Phil stories that Jay was doing earlier- complete with Phil's "that's not how it happened" reaction.

I liked the little exchange between Mitchell and the cop about their spouses.

Luke, as always, was terrific. Loved the birth certificate line to Manny.

Ariel Winter did a very nice job with the physical humor, and I did laugh at much of that.

I didn't really enjoy the Clare/Gloria and Mitch/Cam plots all that much, though, so this isn't one of my favorites.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
Old 12-01-2012, 04:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah its not my favourite of this season, something felt off with the Mitch and Cam plot. I also agree, Ariel was very funny!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2000 (View Post)
I liked the little exchange between Mitchell and the cop about their spouses.
I like this part even the cop was trying to calm other because of his therapist said so..

is that what you want?

Old 12-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Rewatched this and I quite like how the cops were trying to coax Mitch down, since they realised Mitch was doing it for his partner.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Moderator Support Team

^ I like that part even other cop just want to get over it and moving on, but the one that try to talk to him and stuff before he realize what he was doing..

is that what you want?

Old 12-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah I think the cop was like why are you doing his dirty work, to Mitch

Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 AM
Moderator Manager

This was a very good episode. I always enjoy a Phil/Jay storyline and this one did not disappoint. I love the fact that Jay was trying to "fit in" and found a silver lining telling about his experiences with Phil. On the one hand, Manny wasn't doing good at this whole sports-themed event party and Luke was. I loved that he was wearing a tracksuit much like Jay was in S1.

Gloria/Claire was also hysterical. I love it when Gloria faked having a baby to get Claire out of that mess. In many ways, these two really look out for each other and I love that.

Mitch/Cam was so funny too. When Cam got that call to perform, all of a sudden he wanted out of that tree. But it's very classic M/C to show Lily how to stand up for your beliefs and that's the part that I like about their storyline. Absolutely hooted with laughter when I saw Eric wearing that Cats oufit. I swear!

And I miss Haley/Alex fighting and I'm so glad they're back at each other's throats again. I agree, Ariel falling into that puddle of mud was great physical comedy.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I always love your recaps Lindz. Its great to hear you enjoyed the episode so much. I never really thought about it but Phil pummeling Jay was kinda nice, after the hard time Jay has given him in the past.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:49 AM
Moderator Manager

I thought this was going to be a silly one (especially the M/C storyline). But I like it when an episode I start finding silly turns out to be one of my favorites. MF always does that to me.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes, I think from the synopsis the stories sounded a bit lackluster but once you get into them, they have a lot of truth to them, Mitch and Cam being to show Lily how to stand up for your beliefs and support one another, Phil with the resentment after all these years, and so on.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Moderator Manager

I think for me an episode is great when I start out not liking it but eventually liking it in the end. Or I have more laughs. And also when the storylines mesh well. This episode is probably my favorite from S4.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Its not my favourite episode, but there's a lot I like about it and I agree, when an episode surprises me in a way, that also makes it decent