Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 07:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

David | Juan #4: ”Do you love me, brother?” – Juan, ” I would kill for you.” – Cesare

Welcome to the 4th David | Juan appreciation thread
"I will marry a king's daughter or nothing!" - Juan to Rodrigo

Supporters
1. Clockwork Angel
2. claire_bear2007
3. ~Phoenix~
4. sanna_o75
5. Chrissalaugha
6. Sweet Charity
7. sprezzatura
8. Nikki K
9. BL.Arinna_1982
10: Butterflygirl
11. Roon

Source: I sort of enjoy myself quite a lot.

Juan Borgia

Juan Borgia, 2nd duke of Gandía, was the son of Pope Alexander VI the second of the Pope's four children by Vanozza Cattanei. He born in Rome in 1476. He was made 2nd Duke of Gandia, Duke of Sessa, Grand Constable of Naples, Governor of St. Peter's, and Gonfalonier and Captain General of the Church and married Maria Enriquez de Luna, the Spanish betrothed of his deceased older half-brother, Pedro Luis, in September 1493. They had two children: Juan de Borja y Enriquez (known as Juan Borgia), who became the 3rd duke of Gandía, and Francisca de Jesus Borja, who became a nun at a convent in Valladolid. Juan is also the grandfather of Saint Francis Borgia.

On Borgia Maria Enriquez was portrayed by Colombian actress Monica Lopera.

He was murdered the night of 14 June 1497 near what later became the Piazza della Giudecca in the Ghetto of Rome. It has been speculated that either his brother Cesare or Joffre Borgia had him murdered, the former because of his ambitions to lead the papal armies in his stead, the latter because it was rumoured that Juan had an affair with his wife Sancia d'Aragón. Other suspects included the Orsini to whose estates Juan attacked in order to reclaim the fiefs for the pope and eventually himself. Juan's richly attired body was recovered from the Tiber River with 30 golden ducats untouched in the purse at his belt. To the immense grief of the pope, this act occasioned the heartless epigram by Sannazzaro on the pope as "fisher of men". Borgia's only attendant was also slain, so there were no known witnesses. Later when his brother Cesare was imprisoned in Spain, his wife Maria Enriquez tried to have him put on trial for Juan's murder.

Juan also is an essential part of many novels about the family and was portrayed in many movies and television series based on the Borgia's rise and fall. For instance most recently:

The Borgias (TV, 2011) played by David Oakes
Borgia (TV, 2011) played by Stanley Weber
Los Borgia (Movie, 2006) played by Sergio Muñiz
The Borgias (TV, 1981) played by George Camiller

David Oakes

David Oakes (born in 1983 in Fordingbridge, Hampshire) is an English film, television and theatre actor. He was head boy at Bishop Wordsworth's School, in Salisbury, Wiltshire, where he was also heavily involved with the Salisbury Playhouse and their youth theatre, Stage 65. He graduated with a first in English Literature from the University of Manchester. From 2005 to 2007, Oakes attended the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School. In 2008 he was part of a BBC 4 radio play A Dance to the Music of the Time where he spoke the part of "Charles Stringham". Between 2008 and 2011 he was part of several stage and television production. For instance, he played the villainous "William Hamleigh" in the television miniseries The Pillars of the Earth (2010), produced by Ridley Scott. In 2011 he was cast as "Juan Borgia" in the television Showtime series The Borgias. He was cast in the role of "Justin" for the movie Truth or Dare? which will be released in 2012.

Source: Gibbering on the settee

Filmography

- Bonekickers (Alfred Lord Tennyson) / 2008
- Walter's War (Private Oswald Hennessey) 2008
- Henry VIII: Mind of a Tyrant (George Cavendish ) 2009
- Trinity (Ross Bonham) / 2009
- The Pillars of the Earth (William Hamleigh ) / 2010
- The Borgias (Juan Borgia ) / 2011

Stage

- 2011: Three Farces ("Slasher and Crasher", "A Most Unwarrantable Intrusion" and "Grimshaw, Bagshaw and Bradshaw") by John Maddison Morton as Samson Slasher and John Bagshaw (Orange Tree Theatre, London)
- 2009: All The Little Things We Crushed (World Premiere) by Joel Horwood as Hugh (Almeida Theatre, London)
- 2008: Mary Stuart by Friedrich Schiller as Mortimer (Traverse Theatre, Edinburgh)
- 2008: Journey's End by R. C. Sherriff as Raleigh (Mercury Theatre, Colchester)
- 2008: Old Vic New Voices: The Twenty-four Hour Plays as Davide (Old Vic Theatre)
- 2007: We the People (World Premiere) by Eric Schlosser as Charles Pinckney and Gunning Bedford Jnr (Shakespeare's Globe)
- 2007: Love's Labour's Lost by William Shakespeare as Dumaine (Shakespeare's Globe & International Tour)

Source: http://****yeahborgia.tumblr.com/

Past Threads
{1} | {2}

Source: Je danse avec les Dieux

Last edited by BL.Arinna_1982; 09-24-2012 at 12:57 PM
Old 09-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Elite Fan

TFTNT!

I've been doing some looking around for when Ripper Street is going to air, and on IMDb it seems to say a couple of the eps will air in 2012 and the rest in 2013...but then the August ad spot for it wouldn't make sense, really. I hope it's wrong, I want it sooner

I've also just noticed David is particularly fond of period dramas (or the people that cast him are fond of putting him in them ) Pillars, the Borgias, Ripper street and this new Wars of the Roses drama that the BBC are doing.

Also I found out he played George Cavendish in David Starkey's 'Henry VIII: Mind of a Tyrant', which was a historical series with a bit of acting as well. I remember watching that to help with A level revision
Nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands.
Freddie♥Belicon by hauntes
Old 09-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Elite Fan

Tftnt!

Today at Heathrow I was almost tempted to buy that Philippa Gregory book but then I decided against it and bought myself some eye cream. Usually I like reading the book before I watch the show but I have never really read anything good by Gregory so I hope the screenwriters really gave it a once-over.

Oh I want for a lot of things to come on sooner. Perhaps I'll look for that Henry VIII drama but first I need to finish Henry V (and see Stanley make a brooding face before dying).

I love David. I guess I just kind of wish that we could see him in a role other than the villain (albeit I argue that Juan wasn't actually a villain) for once.

Source: Do you hear the people sing?

That scene was so intense and heartbreaking. It also kind of made me wish for a flashback episode or an episode with flashbacks not necessarily to when the children were that young but something about their family life before the papacay.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 09-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Elite Fan

Honestly, you did a good thing not buying it. I don't rate Gregory as an author at all, she's very...sensationalist in her writing. She picks and chooses her facts/changes them to suit. I love reading historical fiction but only when someone does their research. However, I can hopefully enjoy this BBC version of it as they may tidy things up.

It was a four or five part series, I believe. It coincided with Starkey's book of the same name. And you have to watch Stanely dying, Nina! He dies very well I wish he'd had more lines though.

I thought that scene was heartbreaking too. One of the better moments of the season. Maybe we'll get flashbacks in S3...as the family reflect on Juan's death perhaps?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Elite Fan

I know the feeling. I constantly want to pull out my hair and weep when people do that. A bit like giving poor Juan the syphilis and the siege of Forlì - a lose lose situation really.

I promise I will watch him die and search for that mini-series once I'm back from this horrible trip. Something to look forward to.

And you are right... one can only hope. I mean, I understand to a degree that both Lucrezia and Cesare were very agitated preceeding and shortly suceeding Juan's death but honestly I'd like to see some depth ... I'm not necessarily saying full blown overt admissions of guilt and penance but at least a few subtle hints about better times and how times have changed.

Source: beware the rose

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 09-05-2012, 02:26 AM
Part-Time Fan

That scene was a really highlight of the S3, they had a great idea on to show what the Pope was feeling about Juan's death.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

Nina, I think they wanted us to see him as a villain.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Part-Time Fan

Trailer for World Without End here
Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL.Arinna_1982 (View Post)
Nina, I think they wanted us to see him as a villain.
Well but they didn't in season 1 and then the transition to season 2 was way to harsh. One moment he goes for a stroll about town with his sister on his arm and the next he's a monster. So I refuse to see it that way and try to at least have some character development going on in my head which the show was clearly lacking. I mean okay, season 1, did he have violent tendencies? Yes. But who doesn't in this family.

Thanks for the trailer. When is it release?

Source: φιλοσοφία

Old 09-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'd like to know that as well.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Elite Fan

Ellie - Is THIS the Henry VIII mini series you saw David in? If so that's a tad bit hilarious because Assumpta Serna who plays Vanozza on 'Boriga' plays Catherine of Aragon in this one.

Source: ralphie, don't be boring
with Eleanor Tomlinson.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Elite Fan

Oh, no, I meant this one. It was a historical programme that had acting in it in places, if that makes sense. Unfortunately Channel 4 don't have it on their website any more for some reason.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Elite Fan

Yes that makes sense. I saw something similar about Giulia Farnese.
So you didn't watch that mini series. I wonder whether it is worth it.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Elite Fan

Hmm, I don't remember seeing it, no. I would have only been 10/11 at the time it aired though. The cast look quite good, so it could be worth watching?
Old 09-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Elite Fan

Yes, I'm wondering about it. Even though Henry VIII was done to death but I think as you said the cast looks good.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread