Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2018, 04:49 PM
Master Fan

I believe the casting for Danny is actually terrible. Don't get me wrong, I like Finn and I liked him in GOT but he wasn't right for Iron Fist.

Him and Luke share a few scenes in The Defenders and they're OK but mostly because of Luke and Claire (the nurse from DD)

Jessica has every right to be pissed, she suffers from PTSD and is an alcoholic, she only tolerates about 3-4 people and Luke happens to be one of them, she does change a lot throughout the season mostly in regards to Luke you can see she does care about him but at the end of the day her show and mostly S1 is about her trauma, about her trying to survive and about the one who caused that trauma coming back to haunt her. Is honestly my favorite Marvel season after Daredevil S2.

She is simply in a darker show while Matt does have his own demons and also Luke, nothing compares to be raped and obligated to do whatever the guy wanted including KILLING people for idk... months? maybe years? and have super powers but being unable to defend yourself, like her life is just harder than everyone else's and let's not even go there and talk about how her entire family died in a car accident and she was adopted by a terrible woman who didn't even love her own daughter
Old 08-16-2018, 06:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Wow, that all sounds horrible, May. That's probably why I have an issue with it, because they've made her storyline just way too depressing compared to Matt, Luke, and Danny. Even Frank's storyline isn't that pessimistic. I honestly don't like that the female character is the one carrying the most emotional scars.

I've heard that Iron Fist season 2 might be better, but I guess there's nothing we can do about the casting so far.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:25 AM
Master Fan

I believe in the last comics of Jessica Jones is probably even worse than on the show... I've heard some very tough stuff :/

I really love Jessica Jones S1, even tho is dark, is just better than the rest of the shows for a main reason and that's the acting. Jessica is terrific in both seasons, she so deserved to be nominated to something (I believe she was nominated for a golden globe for season 1) and David Tennant was great too, also Carrie A. Moss. In my opinion Luke comes out as boring but is best to watch Jessica Jones S1 before watching Luke Cage because the very first time you'll see Luke is in JJ ... then we saw his own show so you might need to watch it like the way you have to watch Daredevil S2 before watching the punisher kind of thing.

I think Frank's plot is freaking depressing AND very violent but it gets worse in his own show ... I love Frank SO MUCH tho? like soso much.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I saw Carrie Anne Moss' character on Iron Fist. I think she was on Daredevil, but I don't know for sure. I heard that many of the characters on Jessica Jones showed up on Daredevil and Iron Fist.

Well, my whole problem with the Netflix shows is that Danny and Luke really should be a duo in their own show. They were both featured in the comic series, Power Man and Iron Fist, and I wish that Netflix had done the same rather than giving them each their own individual shows. I haven't seen The Punisher yet, but I hope it comes out on Xfinity soon so I can watch it. Also The Defenders.

I do have Jessica Jones and Luke Cage's shows, so I'll see if I can catch those, although to be honest I really don't know much about Jessica. As a comic fan, she really wasn't all that important to the comics compared to other female superheroes. I'm actually surprised that Black Widow and Jessica Jones have been given such prominent roles in the MCU while more important female superheroes haven't even been seen yet. And don't get me started on what the MCU did to Janet Van Dyne.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:07 PM
Master Fan

To be fair I knew NOTHING of Jessica Jones until I watched the show, so I don't think is that important to know or not about her life but a friend did comment about the new comics and told me some stuff and I was like again this is for the new comics, I know in the oldies one she ends up married to Luke and they have a kid, etc. At the end of the day the important part is to know she is a private investigator, she's so GOOD at what she does, she's a good friend although she only has ONE friend and she can be really funny, actually I feel like they didn't know how to write Jessica in The Defenders she became the comedy relief in that show when well... she shouldn't have been that

Carrie was in Daredevil only one scene, bless her her character is great, she's a BITCH but you learn to love her eventually mostly S2. She was one of the only GREAT things about S2 actually.

I think eventually they'll try to hook Iron Fist and Luke, although Luke Cage is quite popular so I don't know if they can leave him completely out, maybe just feature Luke more in Iron Fist or the other way around I can tell you they have many scenes in the Defenders.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:57 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGSAFDMD (View Post)
Nina,

I haven't looked up anything in regards to SKAM Germany anymore so I don't know what happened all I know is that SKAM Austin was renewed.
I signed a petition for Skam Germany. I tried again with Skam Austin but it's unwatchable for me. I'll stick with France and Italia (and Germany if it is renewed *fingers crossed until they turn blue*).

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 08-17-2018, 05:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hi, Nina! I hope you had a good week! We missed you!

Hi, May! Well, I've had instances where I knew nothing of a character before watching a show or a movie, but over time it's gotten more and more difficult for me to separate the two considering that I can practically see in my head how good the movies and shows would be if they stuck to the source more. Plus, Hollywood does things for reasons that have nothing to do with storytelling, so that's another negative for me. But I really haven't watched Jessica Jones so I can't comment until I do. Luke and Jessica's relationship in the comics even seemed tacked on, because when I heard he was married I was like, "Jessica who?"

The reason the shows are trying to pair Luke and Danny up is because they're Power Man and Iron Fist. The shows aren't even calling Luke Power Man, but that's his title in the comics. I hope The Defenders and The Punisher come to Xfinity soon, so I can watch them.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:52 PM
Elite Fan

Luke Cage and Iron Fist were the worst parts of those Netflix shows. The worst thing about Danny is that he is so useless you wish Colleen was the fourth Defender. I heard that sentiment expressed exceedingly often in different places btw. The only things that may draw me back because I want to know is –*what is Joy up to with Madame Gao? Another thing I didn't mind was Ward's arc from trying to be the son his father expected him to be to growing up and getting over it and stopping to care. There is actually nothing I liked about Luke Cage apart from Misty and Claire. I expected the barbershop to play a bigger role but they blew that up pretty quickly. And then it was just whatever. Like plot development took forever and I was mostly bored, didn't find the main character charismatic tbh. Very much preferred Black Lightning.

No, my week was terrible. I may not be around much for the coming two. Anyway.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").

Last edited by Nikki K; 08-18-2018 at 02:52 PM
Old 08-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm sorry your week was bad, Nina. I hope you're okay. So do you think you'll be around for my vacation week? I'm on vacation starting the 23rd. I hope you're not gone for too long.

Well, I've often said that Danny and Luke should've been co-stars in their own show because in the comics they had their own title called Power Man and Iron Fist. I don't know why they split them up into two separate shows, but it probably would've been better to pair them off from the start. I have heard that a lot of people were disappointed by the first season of Iron Fist, but I have no idea if it was because of the writing or the actor, or both. Right now Arinna and I are only up to episode 3, so I have yet to get a good read on the show. I think it would've been better if he had gotten his yellow and green outfit, though. I haven't watched anything of Luke Cage, so I can't comment on that either.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't count on the other people's critics, because it often means that the show is good.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:17 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
but I have no idea if it was because of the writing or the actor
The actor that plays Danny is bloody awful, his character is really naïve to the point where you want to hit him and the story was way too simplistic compared to the other shows. Conversely I though the Luke Cage story was complicated in the sense that there was a plethora of villains and I guess the bottomline was "cut off one arm of the snake, two more grow in its place." – I also didn't think the actor was terribly charismatic. I understand why they didn't give him a suit though. I mean even Daredevil didn't have one until the end of his first season. I'm not sure if it's Luke or his actor who I find boring but I think, yeah, Claire (or Misty) are way too intelligent and interesting for him. I found for neither the backstory very interesting: Okay, you got experimented on in prison... *yawn*. Okay, you're a rich kid who survived your private plane's crash, grew up with warrior monks and now return to reclaim your parents empire *yawn*. Both Matt and Jessica had more character tbh. Ironically Luke Cage bored me throughout and I was a bit more interested in the beginning of Iron Fist but then it started dragging again and became too transparent.

As far as The Defenders is concerned... I mean comic-wise membership was always fluid, if Trish becomes Hellcat, then yeah –*Hellcat was a part of The Defenders team. It may be interesting to seeher and Jessica work things out and work together. I'd rather see that than anything with Danny and Luke. Would happily find substiutes for them. Of course it's hurdle that Dr. Strange was always so heavily involved and I don't think Benedict Cumberbatch wants to jump back to the small screen.

Well, Arinna, I don't count on criticism I read in certain magazines or I hear from certain people where I already know we do not have to same taste or I know what their shtick is. But generally when a friend tells me, wow that was bad and explains why I tend to believe them that at least it wasn't brilliant.

Alex - No, sorry that's unlikely. I may pop in when I have the chance. Have a good holiday.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
Alex - No, sorry that's unlikely. I may pop in when I have the chance. Have a good holiday.
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I guess your job is keeping you really busy. Well, I hope you can pop in whenever you have the chance, Nina. And thanks, although I'll miss you.

Yeah, I've been thinking that calling this team The Defenders is kind of off, since the lineup is actually more like Marvel Knights, to be honest. You're right in that the Defenders were more often than not the team of Doctor Strange, Hulk, Silver Surfer, and Sub-Mariner, along with Hellcat and Valkyrie, among others. They were considered a "non-team" because of their ever-shifting lineup and the fact that they weren't an organized team like the Fantastic Four, Avengers, or X-Men, but rather a group of heroes who just always seemed to get together. I'd actually call Matt, Jessica, Luke, and Danny... and perhaps Frank as well... the Knights of New York, since that's mostly where they operate.

Well, as I've said, I'd have preferred that Luke and Danny had been teamed up from the beginning like in the comics, which might've avoided the problems with their individual shows. But as for the casting of Danny, I guess we'll have to wait and see if he improves. Season 2 is coming and I've heard it looks better.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

I just want to make my own opinion.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Me too, Arinna. I'm okay with Danny so far, no problems. I'm not shipping him with anyone, though. These Netflix shows are tough to ship on.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

I have to agree.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread