Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2019, 06:18 PM
Supreme Fan

I was sad when he died. This was done during the final reading ... and it's clear that he was unhappy with his character's ending as well.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 05-28-2019, 07:15 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)
I was sad when he died. This was done during the final reading ... and it's clear that he was unhappy with his character's ending as well.
I can't really blame him ... there was so much wasted potential with that character.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:07 AM
Master Fan

Well, he knows Varys wouldn't be so idiot to plot in plain sight as he did this season

Icon
Old 05-30-2019, 07:28 PM
Supreme Fan

Nice that Lena comforts him. She knows he's disappointed, as she probably is. I get the feeling that a lot of people around that table felt as Conleth did ... like they wanted to just toss the script away.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 06-02-2019, 11:58 AM
Extreme Fan

I watched the documentary and his reaction was what caught my attention the most. He's really upset. Then I read his interview to EW and he continued to be very devastated about Varys' death. He said he felt like he had failed at something. Took it very personally. But at the same time he did admit it was a bit selfish of him to feel that way considering he wasn't the only cast member that went through this and considering his character was on the show since season 1 and only died in the penultimate episode.

I think it's really beautiful how some actors get deeply connected to their characters especially if they're playing them for a long time and love them almost like they would love a real person.

I understand his frustration. I mean, I was watching that council meeting and I was wondering what was Bronn doing there being the master of coin and how it wasn't earned. And that's when I thought about Varys. That he deserved to be part of that council way more than Bronn. But we have Bronn there talking about brothels instead of Varys talking about the very few people who survived the King's Landing destruction and about how they're going to rebuild the city.

It's nice to see Lena comforting him and also Gwendoline (the gifs don't show it, but she does comfort him too).

About Lena... I read/see all her interviews and based on her interviews and reactions on her instagram, Lena is fine with how Cersei's story ended and she's good with how the overall story ended too. She loves Cersei and anyone who loves Cersei is good with the way she died. We just wanted more Cersei this season. Lena obviously expected to do more this season too, she wanted a scene with Arya and she admitted she wanted a more glorious death for Cersei with a big moment that would give her great stuff to do as an actress before Cersei dies and Cersei's death wasn't what she expected at all, she expected it to be gory and wanted Arya to kill Cersei because she loves Arya. It was only Arya and Tyrion that are allowed to kill Cersei, according to Lena. Tyrion is because of the prophecy and because she also loves Peter and wanted to have more scenes with him. And she wanted Cersei to fight with someone, but she's fine with Cersei's ending. Nikolaj had to convince Lena that Cersei's death was perfect though , so eventually she realized how poetic and perfect Cersei's death was. And Lena got something to act the hell out of it anyway. She wanted Sam on the throne because he would be "jolly". So she probably is okay with Bran being king, considering what Cersei did to him. It was Sam or Arya on the throne, for her. She loves Arya and she was cheering a lot at this table read when they are reading the moment in which Arya kills the Night King. Basically for Lena, Arya kills the Night King, then Arya kills Cersei, then Arya takes the throne and becomes queen with Sam as her hand.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:00 AM
Moderator Manager

Yeah, it's understandable that the actors get attached and since there is going to be an ending that it will be a big one
I wasn't disappointed by Varys' death, I think it was fitting that in the end he died really trying to do what he thought was best for Westeros and not just being blindly loyal.

And Lena is amazing! I love how she expressed her frustration but also was open minded to embrace how her character died (even not being what she wanted) after she gave it a better thought.

I would've loved to see a last showdown between Cersei and Arya, but I do get why Cersei's death was more calm.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonaild (View Post)
I can't really blame him ... there was so much wasted potential with that character.
I kind of agree. On the one hand, I feel like Varys is the character that benefitted the most from the T.V. adaptation. He's a lot more minor in the books since he's not a POV character. On the other hand, I did feel like he languished a bit in the last few seasons.

His death was "meh" for me. It looked kind of cool, but that was it. His writing the scroll reminded me of Ned and Joffrey's parentage, and Varys knows how that turned out. Plus, he's survived so many monarchs, so his death just didn't make sense for me. Unless he sacrificed himself as a warning to others. My favorite meme was a picture of him before his death with the caption saying "I guess we owe him an apology."

Personally, I would've liked an open ending for him. Maybe just have him disappear and nobody knows where he's gone to. Or just see him somewhere random in disguise (like he does in the books). Not every character needed a "THE END" attached to their story, and I feel he was one of those characters.