Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-01-2014, 03:08 AM
New Fan

Asexual/Aromantic Katniss?

One of the reasons I love the Hunger Games books so much is, that they were plot orientated and the romance was just a sideplot. Definitely an important part of the story but not the main topic. So I get really annoyed when all the media talks about is the (in my opinion nearly non-existent) lovetriangle between Kate, Peeta and Gale.
I started thinking about how the story would be if Katniss didn't want to have a romantic relationship at all, and realized, that it wouldn't really have to change much.
From the beginning she was more concentrated on surviving and especially in the first book she doesn't seem interested in having a relationship with EITHER Peeta OR Gale. Her feelings for Peeta starting in the second book could just as well be friendly or brotherly instead of romantic.
So I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I would like to hear you thoughts. Aromantic Katniss, could you imagine it? Would you like it?
I for one don't think it would have disrupted the story in any way and if anything would have made it more intersting and unique. It would have been a great step in representing a minority in our society and could have stopped the media from forever talking about love relationships, instead of the plot and character development (in my opinion much more interesting).

Last edited by Neloska; 08-01-2014 at 04:06 AM Reason: Tried to take the Asexual out of the title. Aromantic fits better.