Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-20-2004, 01:39 PM
Total Fan

File association icon ... messed up?

I've had this problem for awhile but I thought "ehhh whatever, I'll just leave it cause I'm too lazy to fix it"...but now it's really starting to bother me.

My files that are mp3s, mp3 playlists (m3u), mpg's, avi's and I believe that's it, the icon they are usually associated with has now DISASSOCIATED with these file types! So it's hard to tell what type of file it is by just looking at it.

I tried to already play around with the properties (and "open with") but the icon still is the boring default one.

Visuals to see what I am talking about

But yet in the properties, the RIGHT icon shows up beside the "opens with"

**and I already tried to play around with the "file types" part of folder options... but it's still wacky

** I don't think reinstalling winamp will do anything cause it's not JUST winamp related files that have this icon association problem, it's also mpg files that are associated with Windows Media Player that have this problem as well.

Is there any way to fix this? I am not DESPARATE to get it fixed but if it can be fixed, that'd be great.

[ 03-20-2004: Message edited btvsrocks ]
Old 03-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Total Fan

Did you uninstall anything recently?

If I had to hazard a guess, it seems like the app that was associated with those files in the registry (even if that wasn't the program you used to run them) was dumped, and the system doesn't know enough to re-associate them with another app visually (icons).

It's a bad way to do it, but I end up going to the program I want (i.e. WinAmp for music) and constantly toggling the associations on and off until it latches onto the icons. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] It works for me, heh.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Total Fan

I didn't uninstall anything; HOWEVER, I did clean up my registry using Ace Utilities. After that, it seems to have been like this.

So I'm assuming now that the registry keys have been deleted, I can fix it if I reinstall Winamp and Windows Media Player (cause it appears only files associated with them are like this, though it's not ALL Windows Media Player associated files are like this...the .WMV files are fine)?

*EDIT* nevermind, I just reinstalled Winamp and it's still like that =\

[ 03-20-2004: Message edited btvsrocks ]
Old 03-20-2004, 07:32 PM
Total Fan

Check WinAmp to see if the files/file types without icons are actually associated with WinAmp right now.

Also, are you sure all the files are working properly?

If all else fails and you're on Windows XP, do a System Restore to a point before this happened. This is assuming that you haven't done any installations since that you want to preserve...
Old 03-21-2004, 01:24 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Headhunter:
<STRONG>Check WinAmp to see if the files/file types without icons are actually associated with WinAmp right now.

Also, are you sure all the files are working properly?

If all else fails and you're on Windows XP, do a System Restore to a point before this happened. This is assuming that you haven't done any installations since that you want to preserve...</STRONG>
Yep, they are all actually associated with Winamp right now.

Yes the files are working properly (when I double click on one, it adds to the Winamp queue of songs).

And unfortunately,I don't have have XP. I have ME...I know, pooey me. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Total Fan

Hmm, not sure what else you can do...is a System Restore an option, and if so, did you try it out?
Old 03-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Total Fan

I don't know if System Restore is an option, if it is, I don't know where to find it [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Cause I know in My Computer's properties, in the troubleshooting tab, you can disable/enable system restore. But there's no fancy Windows XP system restore to a certain time point option.

ohs wells... thanks anyway [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]