Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-19-2004, 10:23 AM
Master Fan

Anti Virus...

ok...well I've been using McAfee since I bought my computer, but now all of a sudden it says that my subscription has expired or something though I've been using this computer only for one year and a half.

1) Was this supposed to happen?

2) I'm thinking of switching to Norton Anti Virus because I've heard its better? and ok... I just checked the site and it says that the price is $69+ (tax included). should I take this step or... cause I'm confused about the whole switching thing but I don't like McAfee so..... but maybe there's some other way to do this stuff or something I don't know [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] and ok I'm currently looking at this thing:
here. What one am I supposed to buy and are they all the same? Like what's the difference between the "buy download" and "buy pack"? I don't get it...

ok yeah I really need help because I have no Anti Virus on my computer right now and yeah...
Old 03-19-2004, 11:54 AM
Total Fan

1) Not that I know of; a license for antiviral software should last forever...

2) Personally, Norton is far superior, though it's a matter of personal preference in most cases. You're a fellow Toronto resident, right? If so, you can get it for cheaper. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Buying a download means the site will allow you to directly download a valid, working version of the software. Buying a package means they'll ship you an actual box with software and manual. Personally, the package is always the way to go.

Are you currently infected with something and therefore rushing, or just looking to protect yourself ASAP?
Old 03-19-2004, 12:31 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Headhunter:
<STRONG>1) Not that I know of; a license for antiviral software should last forever...

</STRONG>
well not really...with Norton, I don't know about McAfee, their retail program only allows for liveupdates for 1 year. After that, you gotta renew the subscription.

BTW, I am also from Toronto heh.

[ 03-19-2004: Message edited btvsrocks ]
Old 03-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Master Fan

yeah I thought I'd have it forever too... I don't know what happened. so ok if I can still have that for free, I'd keep it... but how? the icon thingie.. is black... when it should be red usually, right? so I don't understand what's going on.. *shrug*

and well I live in Ontario...not Toronto... but yeah where can I get it cheaper? cause the one I'm looking at is like in US $'s... and stuff...and my computer isn't infected or anything but yeah I just want it for protection.

I'm thinking of calling HP or something and ask them what's up with my anti virus...
Old 03-19-2004, 06:49 PM
Total Fan

The LiveUpdate restriction I was aware of, but the software itself shouldn't stop working. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

T-Dot represent! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Hmm, if you're in in Toronto, I can't recommend a store. Check a local computer store for a free computer paper; use the store listings and check their websites/call them up to get local pricing.

Sorry, there aren't many good deals online for software; have to know your way around local stores...
Old 03-19-2004, 09:32 PM
Master Fan

Ledi, are you sure the software isn't working at all? It sounds like your subscription expired, which just means you can't download new updates without renewing your subscription. The virus protection you already have should still be working, although you will want to renew and continue updating because there's new threats all the time.

If you go to mcafee.com you can find information on renewing. You'll have to keep paying every year whether you go with McAfee or Norton.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:48 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm thinking of switching to Norton Anti Virus because I've heard its better? and ok... I just checked the site and it says that the price is $69+ (tax included).

I paid 30 dollars for mine. Maybe you should check around. I bought it at a college bookstore, though.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:42 PM
Total Fan

A lot of smaller computer retailers will offer huge discounts over chain (i.e. Best Buy) pricing.