Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

~ 3.15 “Hookman” ~ Monday February 4 ~ Episode Discussion Thread!!

3.15 “Hookman”

“HAWAII FIVE-0” UPDATES A FAVORITE EPISODE, “HOOKMAN,” FROM THE ORIGINAL SERIES

FIVE-0 INVESTIGATES WHEN A MYSTERIOUS MAN TARGETS SELECT POLICE OFFICERS FOR REVENGE AND McGARRETT IS NEXT ON HIS HIT LIST, ON “HAWAII FIVE-0,” MONDAY, FEB. 4

*****Locations From the Original To Be Used In This New Episode, Directed By and Guest Starring Peter Weller (“RoboCop”)

Max Weinberg (“E Street Band”) and Charlie Murphy (“The Dave Chappelle Show”) Also Guest Star

CHEAT TWEET: #H50 fans! Pay homage 2 the original series with this reboot of a beloved episode from 1973 2/4 10PM ET/PT

“Hookman” – Five-0 investigates when a mysterious man targets select police officers for revenge and McGarrett is the next on his hit list, on HAWAII FIVE-0, Monday, Feb. 4 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

“Hookman,” the original series’ season six Emmy Award-winning premiere episode (original airdate Sept. 11, 1973), centered around a double amputee out to avenge the loss of his hands by killing the police officers responsible, including McGarrett. In the updated version, McGarrett’s father was one of the officers responsible for his maiming.

Peter Weller (“RoboCop”) guest stars as the lead villain as well as directs this production. Jason Koger, a double upper amputee, will be stand in for Weller in close-ups of his prosthetic hands. In the original production, Jay J. Armes portrayed the lead villain and was a double amputee himself.

SERIES REGULARS:

Alex O’Loughlin (Steve McGarrett)
Scott Caan (Danny “Danno” Williams)
Daniel Dae Kim (Chin Ho Kelly)
Grace Park (Kono Kalakaua)
Masi Oka (Dr. Max Bergman)
Michelle Borth (Catherine Rollins)

RECURRING CAST:
Brian Fong (Charlie Fong)
Dennis Chun (Sgt. Duke Lukela)
Richard T. Jones (Governor Sam Denning)
William Sadler (John McGarrett)

GUEST CAST:

Peter Weller (Hookman/Curt Stoner)
Norman Compton (HPD Officer Troy Ookala)
Charlie Murphy (Don McKinney)
Max Weinberg (Norm)
Grant Patrick Moniz (Ben Keoki)
Terry Plunkett (Proprietor)

WRITTEN BY: Joe Halpin

DIRECTED BY: Bryan Spicer

Promo/Sneak Peek

Old 02-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm actually so looking forward to seeing the "Mighty Max" in an acting role!!!
50fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Finally new episode tonight !!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:07 AM
Extreme Fan

Spoiler:
Crazyfor5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 AM
Moderator Manager

New episode tonight! And I'm kind of curious to see how this is going to play out even though I haven't watched the original episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyfor5-0 (View Post)
Spoiler:
Me too!!!!
Si_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 PM
Part-Time Fan

I actually watched the original episode from 1973 on cbs.com and thought it was very good.

However, after watching the re-make tonight, I can only say, "WOW!" Peter Weller was the sniper and he also directed the episode. He did a fantastic job! The close-ups -- and there were a lot of them -- were spot-on and the car chase was cool. Even the cargument was bumped up a notch.

The last scene was very touching. This is by far, one of the best episodes I've every seen! This show is getting better and better.

I'm anxious to hear what everyone else thinks.
50fangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

I am downloading the episode now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After reading your comment 50fangirl I can't wait to watch it
Old 02-05-2013, 06:42 AM
Moderator Manager

Amazing episode!

To be completely honest, I wasn't really excited about this, granted I was curious to see how they would pull off the re-doing a classic episode. But even though I haven't watched the original one, I really enjoyed it.
The changing in the tittles and list of guest stars were pretty fitting and cool. And there was my first surprise, Petter Weller was not only the villain/sniper but also directed it.
The plot was interesting and had a great pace in the whole episode. And Weller's character Curt Stoner was clever, vengeful and just crazy enough to make a great bad guy for only one episode. And since we've already knew from the beginning that he was the bad guy I think the story had a better flow, without the misleading directions we usually get. Which made the fact that Stoner tried to frame that other dude or make set ups to get his victims all the more tricky and smart on his part.

Was it just me or did Alex's accent show up in like a couple of scenes of the episode? I need to watch it again to be sure, but last night I was pretty sure I heard it.
Anyways, Alex did an amazing job portraying all the emotions that the episode required, from sadness to anger and than relief... Kuddos to him!

I don't know if it's because I'm on my "I LOVE Danny" phase but his lines were perfect IMO. I think he made very valid points when arguing with Steve about Cover and Concealment after all they thought that the guy was the main suspect at killing a cop with an agenda to do it again, so very careless of Steve (not that I'm surprised of his crazy tactics). Also, he's totally right when he says that people driving when they see a police car with the sirens on, the first instinct is to pull to the right side (at least that's what happens to me), so it's a lot safer for them to pass on the left. Now since he is the trained police pursuit driver I'd LOVE to see him driving his car more... I'm sure there are more, but I only remember he driving in a pursuit in the NCIS LA crossover episode, with Sam yelling commands at him LOL.

Chin was a little on the background here... few lines, but nothing major.

Kono had great scenes, which I was not expecting. She pulled the smart/know your ammo stuff in the lab, and she was the one that took out Stoner, so BAMF. It was a smart move of Steve to ask her to take the shot, because I think he is clearly the best sniper, but since he was the target he passed the task to the next best shooter of the team (Kono has proven more than once that she is a skilled sniper). Can I just say that IMO her hair is amazing, and it gets prettier with every episode?!

Max also had his moments.

No Cath in the episode, but considering the fast pace and the way the SL was executed, I don't see how they could've had added her to it, so no hard feelings on my part. Like I've said before, as much as I love her, most of the way the writers are using her this season is not making me too happy, and I'd rather not see her in the episode than have her doing something that will only make me roll my eyes.

Ok, back on track, it's always a pleasure for me to see Fong and Duke. I was really happy that Fong had a good amount of screentime, all very reasonable since he is the lab guy. And Duke got shot! Poor guy! I just adore him, and I'm glad that they didn't decide to kill him.

It is no secret that I like William Saddler, so seeing him back, even for just a few scenes made me smile a lot. I like the flashbacks appearing with Steve sort of describing what had happened. Even though the end was emotional, the whole hallucinating thing does not appeal me.

Overall, this episode is definitely going to be on my top 5 of this season. Totally worth watching again and again

Last edited by Si_Crazy; 02-05-2013 at 07:14 AM
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

EXCELLENT!!!!!!! EPISODE!!!!! Absolutely loved it!!

The cast and crew did a super job paying homage to the original, loved that they used the retro credits.

Yes!!....Yes!!....Yes! Badass! Navy SuperSEAL breaking the rules, throwing tear gas, listen to nobody but follow his own gut is BACK!!

Nice seeing Steve and the Governor talking about the case..... And of course Governor!! Steve took it all personal we talk about Steve here remember!

The McDanno bantering especially in the final scene was great Steve’s smiling as he realizes just how much Danny worries about him was adorable and Danny’s flustered response was perfect. Only Danny tirade in the gun shop was over the top for me!

Girlpower!!! Kono loved her scene with Fong ....... Steve knowing after him Kono is the best sniper of the team so he let her take the shoot was the right call. Our Super Sniper Girl got the job done!

I freaked out when I realize that Robo Cop shot Duke I was relieved that he was okay by the end of the episode. I Love Duke

The ending was very touching Steve seeing Ben Keoki and Troy Ookala along with John McGarrett I hope it help Steve knowing now that his fater is proud of him.

Kudos to Peter Weller for directed this wonderful episode but also for playing a awesome creepy villain...............Many kudos and admiration go's to Jason Koger Koger is the double amputee and answered a casting call last fall and impressed the “Five-0” production team with the things he can do with his prosthetic hands

Last edited by Immunity; 02-05-2013 at 01:05 PM
Immunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immunity (View Post)
Only Danny tirade in the gun shop was over the top for me!
He overreacted a little, but I found his bickering with Norm, the guy from the gun store) so funny And as a police officer I get that he uses the gun as a part of his job, but thinks that it's a bad thing in the hands of civilians. He made a point about people carrying guns in Season 1, that episode where the football player had a gun and Steve just confiscated it and let the kid go with just a warning and Danny said that "kids with guns kill innocent people and cops" so he does have a point at being against guns
Old 02-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Extreme Fan

A very good eppie. It makes me want to find the original and watch it.

Random Thoughts:

I love Super Seal!! Steve is definitely a man of action and doesn't like to wait for things to develop. Steve also shone in the scenes dealing with the grieving cops. Kudos to Alex's acting.

The only scene I found a little over the top with Danny was in the gun shop. Danny's remarks to Steve although not followed needed to be said. Despite his comments to the contrary, we know Danny cares.

Kono girlfriend you are a BAD A@#!! Girl power is right!! Steve having Kono take the shot shows how much trust he has in her and she deliveried in spades!!

Chin's scenes weren't many but were quality.

Charlie Fong and Max had great scenes as well and C Fong should be in the field more.

Freaked a little when Duke was shot but glad to hear he is going to be okay. It was pretty cool to have the son of the original Kono in the remake!!

Thought the end was a little weird but touching. Having John McG say what he said was something Steve needed to hear. Glad William Sadler got more than one quick scene.

No Catherine but there really wasn't a place for her in this eppie.

Looking forward to next week.
Crazyfor5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread