Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

~ 3.14 “Hana I Wa ‘Ia” ~ Monday January 21 ~ Episode Discussion Thread!!

3.14 “Hana I Wa ‘Ia”

“Scandal”

“Hana I Wa ‘Ia*” – On the eve of an election, the Governor asks 5-0 to discreetly investigate the murder of a prostitute found in the bed of a missing Congressman. Meanwhile, Danny goes to court to determine if he will get partial custody of Grace on HAWAII FIVE-0, Monday, Jan. 21 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

(*Hana I Wa ‘Ia is Hawaiian for “Scandal”)

SERIES REGULARS:
Alex O’Loughlin (Steve McGarrett)
Scott Caan (Danny “Danno” Williams)
Daniel Dae Kim (Chin Ho Kelly)
Grace Park (Kono Kalakaua)
Masi Oka (Dr. Max Bergman)
Michelle Borth (Catherine Rollins)

RECURRING CAST:
Brian Yang (Charlie Fong)
Mark Dacascos (Wo Fat)
Richard T. Jones (Governor Sam Denning)

GUEST CAST:
Stephanie Jacobsen (Amy Davidson)
Robbie Jones (Josh Lowry)
Alicia Ziegler (Mollie Bennett)
Patrick Fischler (Ryan Webb)
Greg Wrangler (Brad Powers)
Wiley Pickett (Congressman Chris Freed)
Skyler Kamaka (Waitress)
Joy Minaai (Judge)
Percival D. Scott III (Attorney)
Melissa Puana-Martin (Assistant)
Keali-i Reichel (Hunter)

WRITTEN BY: Mike Schaub

DIRECTED BY: Larry Teng

Sneak Peek

Last edited by Immunity; 02-01-2013 at 11:05 PM
Immunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 AM
Master Fan

Stephanie Jacobsen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See! I told you someone’s been looking at my blog! LOL I was disappointed she didn’t use her Aussie accent though.

But damn! They killed off her character! UGH.

Also, why “shoot” her at the start of the ep and not explain what the hell happened after that? I get shock value, but that was just a dumb scene.
See! I told you someone’s been looking at my blog! LOL

But this ep was crap. It felt like the actors were robots and they were being directed by a cyborg. There was just something really wrong with the acting and the pacing and the execution.

And why bring back Wo Fat all of a sudden for a lame ep??

Robbie Jones. Whoa. Love him as Quinn in OTH and in Hellcats, but I wish he’d be in another TV show permanently and not just as a guest.

Bad episode. Yuck.

But yay for Danny!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 AM
Moderator Manager

I wasn't expecting much of this episode, and it turns out I was right. Not a strong episode with a lot of rushed resolutions and lame explanations.

Let me start with, what the hell was that beginning? Doing the dramatic where you see the guy pointing a gun to the girl's head, you see the gun going off as if you're looking at it throught the victim's POV... all good so far, or that is until by the middle of the episode the victim is not actually dead (fact confirmed by the clothes she was wearing in the first scene match to the picture Kono got of her and Wo-Fat).
I did love the casting of Stephanie Jacobsen though... it made me all BSG nostalgic, and she has a beautiful voice.
Another thing I liked was seeing Robbie Jones, Q from OTH again... it's not important for this review, I'm just stating a fact LOL
Back to the case, politics is always shady, and that's something Steve should already know. I found it weird and OOC for Steve to just abide to the Governor's wishes to not ask questions or really investigate things properly. We do remember old Steve that couldn't care less about what the Governor wants, and just want justice for the victim. Good continuity though mentioning that Lori was fired, but hey her job especifically was to babysit the team, so she did fail in it. The 5-0 task force's job is to solve crimes and put bad guys away. So, I definitely DIDN'T like the way this was written.
Speaking of continuity, just a reminder that this episode had its order changed, so I understand why Chin was all heal up after the ordeal he went the yesterday's episode.
Ok, I need to mention that in the scene where Chin and Kono are being tailled by the G-ride, the whole time that blue car between them was also following them?! I found it funny how Chin ONLY mentioned that SUV.

When the team found the picture of Amy with Wo-Fat they magically figured out the whole plan quite easily and fast... it was like everything came to them as in a magic ball.
Another thing that bother me is that Wo-Fat is like public enemy #1 in Hawaii, but when the team go to rescue the Congressman and take down Wo-Fat, only Steve and Danny are available?! What were Kono and Chin doing? It fells like they want to let Wo-Fat escape, so they don't even try hard enough to get him.

To be honest I couldn't care less about Governor Dennings... And that lame explanation that he wanted to hide serious information and the scandal by requesting the task force to investigate was ridiculous. They're suppose to be the best investigating team on the Island, so yeah trust them to overlook things and not make questions when his office orders to hold on results of evidence ....but by the end of the episode, he sort of grew on me a little.

The custody hearing thing was at first interesting. I loved that first scene where Steve shows up all dress up to be there for Danny, and that little tie thing was actually cute.
Kuddos to Scott for showing so much conficting emotions especially showing how nervous he was during the whole scene! That speech was perfect for him.
Now Steve's reaction on the court was a big "WTF? moment", I mean, in what courtroom is it allowed for a character witness to just stand up and start talking his mouth out?! That was a lousy moment... and bringing it up at the end by saying that he was great was just horrible.
I am happy thought that Danny won. I thought that it was going to be harder considering that this was the his big cliffhanger in last season's finale, but I think it was a wise choice to just get it over with. Danny is an awesome father and it would be a shame if that wasn't a part of the show anymore (we've already got so little cute Danny/Gracie scenes). Danny better get use to it, because Hawaii is indeed his home now.

Last edited by Si_Crazy; 01-22-2013 at 05:42 AM
Si_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

Actually this episode came too soon after a spectacular one on Sunday whenever CBS decides in the future to give us an episode on Sunday after a football game, they better shows a repeat on Monday! Now we are on a break till February 4

And Peter next season don’t screw up with the episodes again now I wonder if we will see in 3.15 Chin still lying in a hospital bed

There where part I liked in this episode and part I dislike!!

I Liked:

I absolutely loved seeing McG in his uniform Alex looked dam! HOT in it

Loved the McDanno scene’s Danny speech was cute in a way only Danny can say it and was nice to hear from Steve what a wonderful father Danny is and that Danny is his closest friend he has. The hug was adorable I am happy Danny won and Gracie stay on Hawaii and finally Danny hearing saying he happy to staying on Hawaii Cheers on Hawaii!!

Steve chat with the Governor was long overdue the talk he had over former Governor Pat Jameson should have take place in season 2 now finally the Governor sees why Five-O had Immunity and means would be nice if he had give that back to Five-O last night.

Sadly this was what I liked about the episode now my dislike:

I was very disappointed when the team finally find out that Wo-Fat is behind al this Steve didn’t show any concern about his mother.

The mention from Steve about Lori made me cringle UGH!! Still can’t watch season 2 because of her thank god Lauren has a new job at Chicago Fire where she does a better job then on H5O.

Where were Chin and Kono when Steve and Danny fly in the chopper to rescue Congressman Chris Freed haven’t they learn’t there lesson it’s Wo-Fat he knows how to escape from Steve he showed that a million times.
Danny is a terrible shooter how did Danny miss that many times? But Wo Fat was still able to shoot the Congressman while he was in the chopper Chin and Kono proofed many times how good they are when it comes to shoot someone from a distance.

I know I am in the minority here but I'm starting to get bored of Wo Fat is always that cat and mouse game between him and Steve catch this guy and throw him in jail for good. Now it looks if Five-O are a bunch of fools who are not able to find a men like Wo-Fat on a Island. He is a fugitive on the run and can hang out in a bar???? Come on!! this is ridiculous.

The lack of Cath is starting to annoy me one episode in two off why made her a regular same go’s for Max they had a dead body but not once we saw Max if TPTD would made the first few min of every episode a bit shorter we would have time to show these two serie regulars.

Last edited by Immunity; 01-22-2013 at 10:39 AM
Immunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immunity (View Post)
Steve chat with the Governor was long overdue the talk he had over former Governor Pat Jameson should have take place in season 2 now finally the Governor sees why Five-O had Immunity and means would be nice if he had give that back to Five-O last night.
I agree! It was about time that those two talked and set things straight. I liked that part. And was actually what made me like a little of the Governor (I didn't care about him at all until now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immunity
I know I am in the minority here but I'm starting to get bored of Wo Fat is always that cat and mouse game between him and Steve catch this guy and throw him in jail for good. Now it looks if Five-O are a bunch of fools who are not able to find a men like Wo-Fat on a Island. He is a fugitive on the run and can hang out in a bar???? Come on!! this is ridiculous.
Count me in on the minority! As I said in my review, TPTB are so intent on making Wo-Fat this big villain that they make the team look like idiots and don't try hard enough to catch him..... I'm so done with this SL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immunity
The lack of Cath is starting to annoy me one episode in two off why made her a regular same go’s for Max they had a dead body but not once we saw Max if TPTD would made the first few min of every episode a bit shorter we would have time to show these two serie regulars.
I don't want to have just pointless scenes of both Cath and Max just to say that we have them, but I agree, from the moment they were announced as regulars, they should at least have small scenes in most of the episodes. Even if it's just for Max to inform the COD or Cath to call Steve or something.
If they're just going to be around from time to time, it was a better choice to just leave them as recurring.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddleskittlesღ (View Post)
But this ep was crap. It felt like the actors were robots and they were being directed by a cyborg. There was just something really wrong with the acting and the pacing and the execution.
Larry Teng directed this episode and he always deliver IMO but maybe after sunday excellent episode nothing would have worked for 3.14 that why I rewatched it and the sceond time it was better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddleskittlesღ (View Post)
And why bring back Wo Fat all of a sudden for a lame ep??
My thoughts exactly TBH I am over Wo-Fat and his SL wrap it up and move one because Wo-Fat was in the first H5O for 9 season doesn't mean he has to be in this one for the same exact time.

Quote:
Count me in on the minority! As I said in my review, TPTB are so intent on making Wo-Fat this big villain that they make the team look like idiots and don't try hard enough to catch him..... I'm so done with this SL.
Thank God I am not alone in this how many times will the team let this man escape without looking like fools. Wo-Fat seems to live like a normal person on the island he can do whatever he wants without someone question him don't they have on Hawaii the most wanted man posters hanging on a bord or in HPD.

Quote:
I don't want to have just pointless scenes of both Cath and Max just to say that we have them, but I agree, from the moment they were announced as regulars, they should at least have small scenes in most of the episodes. Even if it's just for Max to inform the COD or Cath to call Steve or something.
If they're just going to be around from time to time, it was a better choice to just leave them as recurring.
Me either but for Max there is always a scene to write look at Ducky in NCIS for Cath maybe it's more difficult but I am still waiting for what all is said in several interviews
about her Storyline it's time to show something!!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Moderator Manager

I was disappointed with Larry's work in this episode. He is one of my favorite directors but in this one I just didn't like. Maybe the plot, the writing and the fact that Wo Fat was involved weighted a little, but the shots also felt weak. I'm still not over that initial scene with the misleading idea of Amy getting shot.... not good.

Now I agree, Ducky always has a participation on every episode. And since most of the cases H50 works on are related to a homicide, they could add Max's scenes easily to the mix.
I agree, Cath's situation is a little more difficult indeed, but even if it's a scene where she is just Steve's romantic interest is cool... a little phone call, maybe to set out a lunch date or just to tell her that he might be late for a date.... you know, a little screentime. I think the main problem is when they try to insert her in the cases, that just doesn't work too often.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

1-21-13 "To Hawaii" Danny finally said it at the end !!!
I was kind of confused at first when it looked like Amy Davidson Chief of Staff for Congressman Chris Freed was shot, then they had the lady of the evening Serena Andrews choked to death in a bed.Governor Sam Denning wanting to help Senator Chris Freed but blocking the DNA test. Then Steve going to see him about it was cool. Later the Gov, had his doubts.

The guy she actually had sex with Ryan Webb, Teacher, will we see him again? It didn't seem to me to end his involvement.
Danny in court, was good. Steve in dress blues and Danny fixing his tie, wonderful. Danny was stumbling over what to say, then getting the call to see the Gov.
Nice the Cop Car dashboard cam catching Amy and WoFat. Her sorry didn't add up and Steve and Danny found out she had a wire. WoFat's sniper took her out, and Steve and Danny took out the sniper and his Mercedes Benz. They need to find his identity too to track WoFat. And Steve wasn't worried about mom. They may also have to guard Chris Freed and His Daughter from now on.
Didn't seem like Chin Ho had any injuries left from the Prison stabbing.
I thought after Chris Freed had escaped,(must be military training is how he learned to pick his cuff lock?). The Guy on 4 wheeler WoFat came upon was a guard he had out. Then he shot him because he let Freed by.But then I thought, wait he said he was pig hunting. Was his body reportedly found later? Danno's shooting looked like the A-Team. Lots of flying bullets and hitting nothing. He even bounced them off the 4 Wheeler? Like it was said, Kono and Chin should have been there to, shooting. Or coming in behind Wofat with a 4 wheeler of their own. Steve should have moved in closer for one last shot by Danny. He was torn. Of course HPD couldn't find WoFat.
Finding out for sure it was Bradley Powers on WoFats pay role came quick at the end.
Steve and Danny in the chairs by the sea was nice. Steve deep in thought. Danny said we had to let him go, we will find him. Then the Governor bring out Long Board Island Lager Beer,Kona Brewing Company nice, I have a 6 pack in my kitchen. And I'm in NY! Danny finding out he won his case and Gracie is staying on the Island was so nice. Complimenting Steve on his help was good too. Good episode !

Last edited by webruce; 01-22-2013 at 04:16 PM Reason: added a line
webruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 AM
Extreme Fan

I can understand everyone's objections; I wasn't a horrible eppie but not nearly as good as Sunday's:

Random Thoughts:

I am not crazy about shows where politics are so involved. It was frustrating to see Steve and 5-0 get the runaround.

Gosh Steve looked good in his dress uniform And it was nice of him to lend his support to Danny when he needed him most.

I agree with Si_Crazy that SC did an excellent job in the courtroom scene!! And I am glad he won. Danny is a great father and there is obviously a lot of love between the Gracie and Danny.

I thought it was a waste of Wo Fat as well. I am surprised to catch Wo Fat that all hand weren't on deck (Navy term deliberate). Maybe time was a factor? THe positive aspect was AOL's wonderful acting job where Wo Fat was involved; his reaction when it was discovered Wo Fat was involved and the conflict between finishing off Wo Fat and getting Freed the help he needed and his disappointment at letting Wo Fat get away (by the way, how did Danny miss him anyway?!!)

Hearing Steve mention Lori while good continuity still made me want to puke.

I rather liked the ending. It made Gov. Denning look more human and he and Steve got a few things clear. I got a chuckle out of Danny's continual dislike for Hawaii although he knows it is his home now.

Quote:
I agree with this especially with Catherine. Max could be intergrated into most every eppie what with him as ME. THis was what I was afraid of with Catherine when Michelle came on as a regular. Outside of showing her with Steve and her doing him favors (which is getting old) what is she to do? IMO, just having her in these roles isn't the best use of Catherine or Michelle for that matter. Maybe it would have been better to have her as a recurring role. She and Steve could still be a couple and it still could take their relationship to the next level and they wouldn't scramble to find things for her to do. Just my opinion and for the record I do like Catherine.
Crazyfor5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyfor5-0 (View Post)

Gosh Steve looked good in his dress uniform And it was nice of him to lend his support to Danny when he needed him most.
That men can wear everything or nothing he always looks os DAMN! HANDSOME!

I loved that scene so much more than some pointless carguments!

Quote:
I thought it was a waste of Wo Fat as well. I am surprised to catch Wo Fat that all hand weren't on deck (Navy term deliberate). Maybe time was a factor? THe positive aspect was AOL's wonderful acting job where Wo Fat was involved; his reaction when it was discovered Wo Fat was involved and the conflict between finishing off Wo Fat and getting Freed the help he needed and his disappointment at letting Wo Fat get away (by the way, how did Danny miss him anyway?!!)
I agree Wo-Fat is the most wanted man in Hawaii I would go out looking for him with all the help I could get. I trully didn't understand why Wo-Fat was in this episode and that Danny missed so many times, but it is TV so I think only Steve may catch him.

I agree AOL did a wonderful job

Quote:
Hearing Steve mention Lori while good continuity still made me want to puke.
Same here!

Quote:
I rather liked the ending. It made Gov. Denning look more human and he and Steve got a few things clear. I got a chuckle out of Danny's continual dislike for Hawaii although he knows it is his home now.
I liked that scene was waiting for a long time for it Govenor Denning knows now that his Task Force will do everything to slove a case! he better prepare himself
Old 01-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Part-Time Fan

I started watching season 3 and was mostly disappointed except for one or two episodes, but a friend recommended episode 3.13 and I found myself really enjoying it and thought things had improved so I watched episode 3.14.. sigh!!

The episode had all the things that made me stop watching. Danny is still useless as a cop and the bromance moments are as forced as ever. No way would a highly decorated Military Navy Officer do his tie like that - just an excuse for a bromance moment. I would have no problem with bromance moments if there was any believable portrayal of their friendship but to me there is none. The custody was a joke. Custody is not about who loves the child the most, its about who can provide the best care for the child. Danny's fumbling 2 minute speech would never sway any judge. Where were the hard facts as to how Danny is going to take care of Grace while working in a dangerous job with long hours.

Where was Rachel, are we to believe she can't be bothered turning up for something so important. If Grace can't leave the Island, how can she visit her mother. Will she be expected to travel thousands of miles each week to spend equal time with both parents. Or is Rachel going to have to stay on the Island.
As usual no explanation.

Where is Doris. Where is Catherine, Where is Max. These characters come and go with no explantion and no development whatsoever. Why did the writers bring Catherine back for Steve to treat her so badly. Why bother if she's going to be a token girlfriend with Steve acting like a jerk.

The acting was off in this episode as well. I've always loved Steve's performance and think Alex is a great actor but it didn't come across here. The governors acting was far superior to Steve's imo. Steve just seems arrogant lately or far too one dementional for my liking.

Chin was brilliant in episode 3.13 and I didn't care if the plot was unrealistic because Chin was so good, but I can't say the same for Steve and Danny.

Danny brings nothing to the table except complaining. Steve acts all judgemental and is prepared to break any law he feels like it but happy to look the other way when its his own team. Poor Catherine is a door mat where Steve is concerned, but we can't have their relationship interfer with the bromance. There is no continuity between episodes, no character development with the exception of 3.13 and the odd other episode season 3 is just as bad as season 2 for me.
h50fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by h50fan (View Post)
I started watching season 3 and was mostly disappointed except for one or two episodes, but a friend recommended episode 3.13 and I found myself really enjoying it and thought things had improved so I watched episode 3.14.. sigh!!]\
This episode was IMO the weakest we've had this season. And the fact that it aired the next of the the best one (3.13) also didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h50fan
The custody was a joke. Custody is not about who loves the child the most, its about who can provide the best care for the child. Danny's fumbling 2 minute speech would never sway any judge. Where were the hard facts as to how Danny is going to take care of Grace while working in a dangerous job with long hours.

Where was Rachel, are we to believe she can't be bothered turning up for something so important. If Grace can't leave the Island, how can she visit her mother. Will she be expected to travel thousands of miles each week to spend equal time with both parents. Or is Rachel going to have to stay on the Island.
As usual no explanation.
I also found it weird that Rachel wasn't present... it was probably due to conflics in scheduling the actress or something. I thought it all got solved too quickly, but considering that if Grace went to live in Las Vegas, Danny wouldn't stay in Hawaii, that was pretty much the only alternative for this thing to play out.

Quote:
Where is Doris. Where is Catherine, Where is Max. These characters come and go with no explantion and no development whatsoever. Why did the writers bring Catherine back for Steve to treat her so badly. Why bother if she's going to be a token girlfriend with Steve acting like a jerk.
I agree that the writers really need to work on their fair screentime for all regulars. And although I really hope Doris shows up the LEAST as possible, Max and Cath are regulars so TPTB need to find a good way to write them in on the episodes.

Quote:
There is no continuity between episodes, no character development with the exception of 3.13 and the odd other episode season 3 is just as bad as season 2 for me.
The continuity thing that you mentioned I can only assume that it was the fact that Chin was already healed up and working, was due to the change in the orders of episodes. It was a fail with continuity but schedule got in the way.
I'm sad that you're thinking this season is going as bad as season 2.... I think there was an improvement, although not half as good as season 1.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:34 AM
Extreme Fan

I read that you guys think that the episode was weak and I pretty liked it.I mean there were weak parts and I will get to that.I liked the case or at least by the time Wo Fat showed up.It was so intense and in the episode I thought that the killed girl was that from the beginning of the episode.

I found it odd that Rachel wasnt there.If the actress wasnt available they could have waited.It turns out that she does not care what is going to happen with the case.I think that Grace cannot leave means that Rachel cannot as well and there will be consequences with her relationship with her husband and with her ex husband.

About the fact that Cath wasnt on the episode...I think that for now there is no good way to write her scenes along with the others because she is not a part of 5-0 and if we only see her in little scenes in bad with Steve we will get bored.Anyway I think there are some good episodes where everything is fine and we are amazed of what we see and then others where things just dont fit.It happens with all of the shows.

But now I am worried if so many people did not like the episode and some does not like the season...that things are going in a very wrong direction.

icon made by:Si_Crazy
somehowsundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread