Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

the epilogue was THE WORST I was in the camp of wanting Harry to die and stay dead tbh. Giving everyone a ~happilyeverafter was dumb and it would have been more beautiful and full circle for them to just remember Harry, etc.

I literally see that Witch Hunters ad every five seconds when I watch tv
Old 01-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heartstopper

I like HP! Not a super big fan but I enjoyed the books and movies.

I seriously LOVE how TV/Movie fandom obsessed we all are here! I don't feel so alone.

Movie marathons are always fun!

All my friends are so shocked that I like Horror movies.

I really want to see Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters. Too bad a lot of people are saying its not that good.
nick ♥ charlie
jordan ○ icon
Old 01-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
the epilogue was THE WORST I was in the camp of wanting Harry to die and stay dead tbh. Giving everyone a ~happilyeverafter was dumb and it would have been more beautiful and full circle for them to just remember Harry, etc.
Honestly, I'd been calling it since OotP that Harry would probably die and then come back to life again (because since Harry could either die or live, it makes sense to do both -- at least IMO ). But I could have lived with it all except for the epilogue. I did not like any of the ships that were endgame (especially Hermione/Ron, which I loathe with the power of a thousand suns; I'm not even a Harry/Hermione shipper, I just hate Hr/R). It was stupid to wrap it all up. She should have just left it where it ended before the epilogue and it would have been FINE. But no.

Quote:
I seriously LOVE how TV/Movie fandom obsessed we all are here! I don't feel so alone.
Welcome to my world.

Quote:
I really want to see Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters. Too bad a lot of people are saying its not that good.
It's a good popcorn movie, but that's really all it is. It's "fun", but there's no substance there at all.
S T A R D U S T
Old 01-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I did not like any of the ships that were endgame (especially Hermione/Ron, which I loathe with the power of a thousand suns; I'm not even a Harry/Hermione shipper, I just hate Hr/R).
omg same. I wasn't a big Ron fan in general, I thought he was rather childish throughout the whole series. I only liked him in the context of the golden trio. Plus I am a hugeeee h/hr shipper so

the only time I tolerated r/hr was when she was being tortured by bellatrix and he was yelling for her in the cellar. That was sweet. Otherwise, just no. But I do hate Harry/Ginny just as passionately
Old 01-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Moderator Support Team

I don't have any strong feelings either way towards H/Hr, but I thought that would be a more natural, mature relationship than either R/Hr or H/G, tbh. Honestly, young!me was holding out for the longest time for Hermione/Draco. I really wanted Hermione/Luna, but I knew JKR would never make it happen, so I wanted Hr/D.

I'm watching Dateline right now. Interesting murder case going on rn.
S T A R D U S T
Old 01-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Love all the HP talk

Never really bothered about Ron/Hermione, I can live with that, but Harry/Ginny was so forced it's not even real. I think everything about their relationship from the beginning sums up why they should NEVER have been together. She was his biggest fangirl, it's not healthy. I love them both, but no.

Hermione/Draco would have been perfect, and I kind of wish they'd explored Harry/Luna, mainly because I just loved Luna.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I can live with that, but Harry/Ginny was so forced it's not even real. I think everything about their relationship from the beginning sums up why they should NEVER have been together. She was his biggest fangirl, it's not healthy. I love them both, but no.
She was his biggest fangirl and also basically his mom 2.0. Just no.

Quote:
Hermione/Draco would have been perfect, and I kind of wish they'd explored Harry/Luna, mainly because I just loved Luna.
I could have lived with those pairings. They would have made more sense than what we actually got.
S T A R D U S T
Old 01-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

You'd think, considering he didn't really like all the attention he got and the reason he got it, that the one person he wouldn't want to marry is his biggest fangirl. It has to have been the mother issues. The only explanation for him overlooking his dislike of his fame to marry someone who loved him because of it, is because she reminded him of his mother, and that is gross on so many levels.

I think Hermione/Draco and Harry/Luna could have had build up, they wouldn't have come out of no where, or happened just because they're the heroes so they should. The way I saw Harry/Ron/Hermione was as this perfect friendship, and then it was turned into a kind of love triangle for a little bit and it kind of ruined it a little.

Leigh Tumblr
Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Moderator Support Team

Totally agreed with you Leigh. That stupid epilogue tainted the series, IMO. At least if it hadn't existed, everyone would have been happy, because then it wouldn't have been set in stone that X, Y, Z happened and people could just happily speculate forever. It was even worse when JKR had to be all 'WELL THIS IS MY EXTRA HEADCANON' like anyone even cared or wanted all of that. It's kind of how I feel about all the PLL books after Wanted. I have to grudgingly accept them as canon because they exist, but I wish they didn't, because IMO the extra books have kind of ruined the original 8, which were amazing.
S T A R D U S T
Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I think the only reason she put in that epilogue is to stop people from telling her to write more, but still, wasn't necessary, she could have left it after Voldemort was defeated. I thought this when I first finished the last book, and seeing the last movie made me wish she had even more. Harry, Ron and Hermione alone, at the end of the battle would have been the perfect ending.

I've actually considered not reading the PLL books after 8. I'm about half way through 8 now and it feels like it's pushing it to me. That, and I don't get SS' constant need to describe the characters. I love her for a lot of things in those books, but not that, that's annoying.

Anyways, it's like, 3am, and although I still suck at regulating my sleeping (which I will eventually do), if I get to sleep before 4 I do not suck at getting up by 10.30, so I have to go sleep.

Source
Plus I REALLY wanted to use this gif

Leigh Tumblr
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'll be over here in my Hr/R OTPing corner...

The epilogue was cheesy as hell, though.

ETA: I'm rereading OOTP, and I really would have liked Harry and Luna together, even though I adore Neville/Luna together and I am so glad that they made that canon in the movie.

amelia | icon: mel
Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I've actually considered not reading the PLL books after 8. I'm about half way through 8 now and it feels like it's pushing it to me. That, and I don't get SS' constant need to describe the characters. I love her for a lot of things in those books, but not that, that's annoying.
Ugh, SS's writing though. Sometimes she writes lovely things. And sometimes I'm just like FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP WE GET IT ALREADY. Like how many times do we need to be told that "Killer" was Ali's nickname for Emily.

And ugh, the problem with books 9-12 is that there are some REALLY good things in there. Like the idea of the Liars all slowly losing their minds due to paranoia and guilt, especially with Spencer in Ruthless (which aside from Wanted, is my personal favorite and IMO the best in the series, because of the amazing Lady Macbeth metaphor throughout). Plus Emily/Kelsey's storyline in Ruthless is a lot like Emily/Paige in S3a and Emily/Jordan is so presh in Burned. And for once we actually see the Liars being somewhat intelligent.

But there's so much I don't like. Like how there's a lot of retconning going on -- most of it subtle, but annoying as ****. My OTPs Aria/Noel and Hanna/Mike are still around, but have been run into the ground. She ruined Spencer/Andrew ~off-screen~, which was the worst. She gave Emily that dumbass pregnancy storyline (WHICH I WILL NEVER FORGIVE HER FOR) and made an even bigger mess of an already pretty bad portrayal of bisexuality.

So it's like a mixed bag, honestly. If only the good stuff could have existed in books 1-8 and then books 9-12 had never been written. That would have been perfect. Le sigh.
S T A R D U S T
Old 01-27-2013, 09:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, I'm kind of debating on whether I should read the books or not.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHForeverandAlways (View Post)
Yeah, I'm kind of debating on whether I should read the books or not.
Honestly, I really love them, just there are things I REALLY hate about them. Books 1-8 are great, especially book 8. I've re-read that one so many times, I don't even know. Especially the epilogue -- which is a great guide on how to write a ****ing GOOD epilogue. But books 9-12 plus the companion books, I kind of just pick and choose the ones I want to accept as canon.

Meanwhile, Lost Girl was ****ing EPIC tonight.
S T A R D U S T
Old 01-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I saw the scene in your icon, and now I must watch the show. Fingers crossed that I can actually get into it.