Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2016, 04:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

This episode felt like a turning point in the series. It was much more . . . cinematic in what it was trying to achieve, the tension and angst much more palpable. It’s unfortunate that the intense drama and intriguing moral ambiguities are dragged down just a bit by the teeny-bopper love triangle ****.

Random musing: I originally thought they were setting up some romance between Jaha and Abby. Seriously. I think they were. These early episodes . . . I think it was back in 1x03, the flashbacks, the way he looked at her when she came in and hugged and kissed her husband . . . they were setting it up. I'm glad it didn't go that route, though.

Quotes:

Raven's line about rocket fuel

“Can you wish on this type of shooting star? – Clarke … “I wouldn’t even know what to wish for.” –Bellamy

For some reason, I feel like this is one of the underrated Bellarke quotes. It’s a somber moment between the two of them, but sort of a . . . beautiful one? It’s like we’re seeing the ice between them beginning to thaw just ever so slightly. It’s one of their first exchanges where they’re not yelling at each other or grumbling at each other.

Plot/Storyline: A
One of the more daring episodes of the show so far, with much of the climactic action taking place on the Ark rather than on the ground. And even though the Ark scenes have tended to drag a little bit as opposed to the scenes with the delinquents, here it works. Because here we are presented with this huge moral ambiguity of sacrifice—and eventually self-sacrifice. The culling is a brutal, heart-wrenching moment, made even sadder by the fact that it could have been prevented.

Characters: A-
I originally was going to give this an A, but I’ll explain why I dropped it down just a notch.

Raven’s arrival on earth is a big freakin’ deal! I love how she immediately steps in and is able to take charge of the situation. The interaction between her and Clarke is surprisingly pleasant considering they both have feelings for douchebro Finn.

Finn actually finally gets a little bit of depth in this episode, in that we see that he’s at least apologetic towards Clarke, and Clarke points out that he must have had hope he’d see Raven again. Quite honestly . . . the chemistry between him and Raven feels much more natural to me, and I always enjoyed their relationship far more than the Flarke one. Although at this point, I do still find myself wondering what attracted Raven to him in the first place, and this is due ONCE AGAIN to the fact that the writers have given us virtually nothing on Finn. We know so little about his background, and his personality is so one-note that it’s hard for me to see the appeal sometimes.

I feel like I’m coming off as anti-Finn, and I’m not. I actually don’t have problem with the guy. I have a problem with the indifference I feel for the guy.

It’s almost odd to see Clarke so carefree and girlish at the beginning of this episode. It’s nice to see that. From a viewer standpoint, though, it’s much more interesting to see the Clarke who angrily confronts Bellamy about what he’s done by throwing away that radio. It’s a scene like that that gives us a glimpse of the fiery personality we know she has, rather than the crushed out girl personality she has with Finn at the beginning of the episode. Ideally, it’d be nice to see a blend of the two, but circumstances have not allowed for that yet.

By all accounts, Bellamy probably should have been the villain in this episode. And maybe he was, to some viewers. But the writers have done a good enough job building up the character at this point that it’s hard to dismiss him that way. Even though he is ultimately responsible for the culling, his motives are very in character.

Kane seems to have taken an abrupt shift in character in this episode, in my eyes. Suddenly he believes that Jaha is still the right man to be Chancellor? He’s been established as a character who would very much like that title and the power/authority that goes with it, so this change just felt . . . unearned to me.

The dad and his daughter are convenient to the plot, surely, but they are cute and offer an emotional anchor during the culling. I thought the man who played the father was very good in the role.

Acting: A
It’s a strong episode from everyone. Much of the emotional weight of the episode falls upon the cast members playing the adults, and they do a great job of portraying the turmoil of that devastating decision to sacrifice so many people. Lindsey Morgan gels with the younger cast members incredibly well right off the bat, which is fortunate. I love how she portrays Raven’s awe/amazement of being on the ground for the first time. Eliza does a good job of portraying Clarke’s hurt feelings when she sees Raven and Finn kissing—she totally has a “WTF” face in that moment. But her strongest scene is her last one with Bob, who once again just delivers as Bellamy and somehow—by bringing the very solid writing to life—keeps him from becoming a disposable villain.

Isaiah Washington’s might have to deliver some pretty lengthy monologues as Jaha, and sometimes they’re more interesting than others, but lord almighty, the man’s voice is like velvet pudding.

Directing: A+
A really stunning episode, visually. Standout shots to me include Raven setting foot on the ground for the first time, the last shot between Bellamy and Clarke, and of course, the culling, which is, in my mind, one of the saddest moments of the entire series.

Overall episode score: A
It’s the highest score I’ve given an episode so far . . . yet for some reason, it’s still not my favorite of the season. So I can’t even try to make sense of that. I think it was the episode that showcased what this show could be/would be as it went on, so that makes it important.
ICON
Old 07-19-2016, 06:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

This episode for me, is what kept me watching. I almost gave up twice before reaching this episode. This is the episode I always tell people to get to, and then say they'll never look back!

Old 07-20-2016, 08:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I remember you telling me that, Lisa! "Just get to the fifth episode, and then you'll be hooked!"
ICON
Old 07-20-2016, 11:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

LOVED this episode so much. Raven getting to the ground, Bellamy feeling guilt over what he's done, the ending scenes and music .

I see why Lisa said that because I think that ending scene really defined the show and showed that it wasnt afraid to take risks and do these horrible things just for sake of tv.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yep, most definitely. The ending scene established this show as . . . something different, something that was going to veer more towards the "adult" side of the "young adult" demographic the CW is known for targeting.
ICON
Old 07-21-2016, 02:29 AM
Elite Fan

April, as usual, your review is beyond awesome!!! You're eloquent, concise and on point in your analysis in my opinion!

If that teacher things doesn't work out for you in the long run, I see a future for you as a TV/ movie critic

Kate | art thread | tumblr | icon
Old 07-21-2016, 02:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't think I'd be a good critic. I just love to write.

But thanks! It's taking some time to do all these write-ups, but since I wasn't in the fandom at the time the episode aired, I figure . . . better late than never! I'm enjoying "grading" the episodes. Lord knows I have nothing else to grade right now.
ICON
Old 07-21-2016, 06:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Well I totally love it, April!

And yeah Alexa - that was it for me. As soon as I realized this show actually WENT there, I was like 'oh snap this is good'.

So many other shows would have saved those people at the very last second.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

april is too nice to be a movie critic. lol.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
april is too nice to be a movie critic. lol.

Actually, I don't like movies enough to be a movie critic. Now, TV, on the other hand . . . you guys have never seen me TRULY rant about a TV show. You've seen me rave, but not rant. It has happened before.
ICON
Old 07-22-2016, 03:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

true I'm more of a tv fan than movie fan as well.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

So am I, I think Either way, I'd read April's reviews

Old 07-22-2016, 09:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Bumping for the rewatch soon. Lisa, are you joining??

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit
Old 07-22-2016, 09:24 PM
Elite Fan

Cheeseburger

Old 07-22-2016, 09:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm still awake!