Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-11-2016, 10:57 PM
Master Fan

Those future titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7739 (View Post)
Yeah, you're right, he hasn't changed too much.
So I think he's changed quite a bit. Murphy only really cared about himself early on in the show. He didn't care what happened to anybody else, IMO but we've seen that change over the seasons especially this season. Season 1 Murphy would have never stuck around Polis when Jaha showed up. I imagine that Murphy will always be a sarcastic dick (b/c let's face it, that's him) but it'll be interesting to see how he continues to grow and change if he's integrated into the group even more next season.
Amy | visit The 100 | Icon: Voldara
Old 06-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave princess (View Post)
So I think he's changed quite a bit. Murphy only really cared about himself early on in the show. He didn't care what happened to anybody else, IMO but we've seen that change over the seasons especially this season. Season 1 Murphy would have never stuck around Polis when Jaha showed up. I imagine that Murphy will always be a sarcastic dick (b/c let's face it, that's him) but it'll be interesting to see how he continues to grow and change if he's integrated into the group even more next season.
Oh, yes, I think he's changed, too, but not TOO much. What I mean is, he hasn't changed in a way that feels . . . disingenuous? He has evolved and developed in a way that feels natural and organic rather than feeling like the writers are trying to shove a character down our throats.

And I think that's one of the reasons why so many people like Murphy now. Because they've never tried to force him on us; they've just allowed us gravitate towards him on our own.
ICON
Old 06-12-2016, 01:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

i loved how caring he was of emori in season 3 as well. and when she kissed him on the cheek that was so sweet. Now I dont really ship them but it was great to see Murphy getting rewarded for his kindness and appreciated for it because he never has. (with good reason, but just saying)

I feel like hes the kind of guy that like, once you respect/trust/are kind to, he will give it back ten fold.

the second bellamy gave him that gun in season 2 i feel like that trust was immediately earned back and things were forgotten and from that point on he was there for bellamy. (not physically considering where the SL went but you know what i mean)
Old 06-12-2016, 07:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
I feel like hes the kind of guy that like, once you respect/trust/are kind to, he will give it back ten fold.
It's funny how some fans always whine about the writing on this show being supposedly horrendous, but when you have characters like Murphy I just can't deal with sentiments like that. Love him or hate him, I think he's extremely realistic - like alot of other characters on this show.

And agreed, Alexa. I think he's used to getting crapped on and when he sees that someone is giving him value, it ignites something inside his crusty self. I mean, not saying he's a wonderful angel - but there is someone in there that wants to be helpful and worthy.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacatia (View Post)
It's funny how some fans always whine about the writing on this show being supposedly horrendous, but when you have characters like Murphy I just can't deal with sentiments like that. Love him or hate him, I think he's extremely realistic - like alot of other characters on this show.
Yes, I totally agree, Lisa! Murphy's character is the perfect example of how good the writing can be/has been.

Quote:
And agreed, Alexa. I think he's used to getting crapped on and when he sees that someone is giving him value, it ignites something inside his crusty self. I mean, not saying he's a wonderful angel - but there is someone in there that wants to be helpful and worthy.
I love how you said "his crusty self." And of course I do agree with both of you guys on this, too.
ICON
Old 06-12-2016, 08:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hear hear Lisa! Obviously there's been some slip-ups but that happens with every show but when I look at the development of quite a few characters, notably Murphy and Kane, I think the writers are doing something right. They managed to grow these characters in a natural way and not have the development seem jarring unless you compare their characters from the first episode to the latest episode.
Actual Janet ~ Councillors Supporter #28 Let's call it hope
Old 06-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I feel like . . . how do I say this? Okay, don't get me wrong, I love the female characters on this show, too. I'm all for girl power, and I think the ladies in the cast have portrayed them wonderfully.

But in general, I feel like the males have been developed a little . . . better? I don't know if that's the right word. I just feel like, when I think about characters who have REALLY grown a lot, it's a lot of the males who come to mind. Characters like Murphy, obviously.
ICON
Old 06-12-2016, 11:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

well the girls were already awesome, where as i feel like the growth and development of the males has taken more time and such.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

A lot of the guys did start out as huge jerks (Murphy, Bellamy, Kane), so I guess they did have more ROOM to grow, too.
ICON
Old 06-12-2016, 11:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

kane just suddenly was nice though? like , i saw no growth there.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think Alexa has a bit of a point Clarke and Raven for example - started out awesome and just had a bunch of crap thrown their way, so we've mostly been seeing how they deal with constant crap.

Whereas alot of the guys (Bellamy, Murphy) came into the story kind of hard-done-by and resentful of alot of things, and we see how they attempt to overcome their internal struggles and become 'better' people (or at least attempt to, throughout various events).

Either way, this show has a wide array of characters with alot of really solid writing, IMO. Murphy is one of the standouts, no question.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh damn, I'm about to take over the Murphy thread with Kane talk. I guess in my mind He's always had this part of him that was caring but he shut it away because it would not be useful (it would be a hindrance, really) on the Ark. Look at when he really started allowing his feelings to show through- the culling.He tried his best but he saw that his best was not enough to prevent needless deaths. Of course I might very well be woobifying the guy.

I definitely think there's a bit of a difference in how the male and female characters were developed and handle terrible things that come their way.

Still, Murphy really does stand out.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Kane is such a fantastic character...why are we ignoring his thread

*runs away*

Old 06-13-2016, 10:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Damned if I know. I'm trying to figure out how to bring this back around to Murphy or Richard Harmon.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Sorry bb Murphy