Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-29-2015, 07:25 PM
Total Fan

A Land Divided [General Discussion] #3: "A spear explodes into Jasper's chest, killing him instantly" -original pilot script

WELCOME TO THE 2ND
[ This Is War : Pick Your Tribe]
A LAND DIVIDED
General Discussion
;03

xXx

P a s t T h r e a d s ;
001 ; 002 ; 003 ; 004 ; 005

T i t l e S u g g e s t i o n s ;
- "Let the wild rumpus start." - Original Pilot Script

Last edited by Fuzzy Dunlop; 03-30-2015 at 02:21 PM
Old 03-29-2015, 07:39 PM
Passionate Fan

TFTNT!

I'm intrigued by the pilot script, but I'm not sure I actually want to invest the time in reading all of it. But let's face it, I probably will. This show has become my life!

So glad they didn't kill Jasper though!
Old 03-29-2015, 07:41 PM
Total Fan

I wouldn't have minded them killing Jasper. Especially if it would have meant that we'd still have Wells.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:50 PM
Passionate Fan

I love Jasper! Sure he can be annoying at times, but so can pretty much everyone else on this show. As much I would have liked to see more development for Wells, especially pertaining to his friendship with Bellamy, I'm kind of glad they killed him. That raised the stakes in a very real way, more so than I think killing Jasper would have. And his death was the catalyst for some other very significant story lines.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I would take Wells over Jasper any day

Thanks for the new thread!

Old 03-29-2015, 11:25 PM
Extreme Fan

I kind of wish there was a way we could've had both. Though, Clarke seemed to mourn Wells death for all of what, 10 seconds tops?
Old 03-29-2015, 11:40 PM
Passionate Fan

Yeah, Clarke's mourning of Wells was kind of a joke. I attribute it to the show still being young and the writing still had some problems. I don't think we'd have something like that now.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop (View Post)
I wouldn't have minded them killing Jasper. Especially if it would have meant that we'd still have Wells.
This. Jasper is by far my least favourite character. WELLS. Still not over it. I'd rather Maya lived instead of Jasper TBH too.

Yeah I just poked my head in to say that. Carry on.

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit
Old 03-30-2015, 06:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah that's the only thing about Wells' death, is that they COULD have shown a bit more mourning from Clarke. But I get that this show moves quickly and they don't always have time for reflecting, etc. Maybe her jumping in the sack with Finn was a way to express her grief too, who knows

ETA I don't know why the title of this thread is funny to me. Also Fuzzy you forgot to change the number and previous pages. Do I have to put you on my list now??

ETA from the original script:

"Let the wild rumpus start." should have been a tagline

"CLARKE (CONT’D)
They dropped us on the wrong
goddamn mountain.
Finn looks back out. ****. A good view spoiled by the
realization that they are well and truly *****ed. "

"But there’s a more subtle segregation (that we’ll explore in
series), based on which of the Ark’s stations a person comes
from. Station rivalries will make cooperation difficult,
friendships rare, and romances potentially dangerous.
For now, the ongoing revelry blurs these fault-lines. "

It lists people's ages too. ie. Octavia is 16, Jasper and Monty 15, Murphy is 17, Finn is 17 and Bell is 23 as we knew. Jackson is 27.

Also, this is too weird:

"RAVEN (CONT’D)
My son, Finn Hawthorne, missed
message day today for the first
time in two years. Same day folks
saw a ship leave. One with seating
for a hundred. I got friends who
worked on it. A hundred. Same as
the number of cells in the Sky Box.
You see where I’m going with this? "

Also, we brought this up the other day during our rewatch:
"As Bellamy watches him go, the thinking behind his eyes is
clear: Wells is gonna be a problem.
INT. THE ARK - EARTH MONITORING STATION - SAME "

I had seen it more as Bellamy looking a bit reluctant with the way he was acting (himself), but that's clearly not what the script had in mind.

Also what's up with Abby's last name being Walters?

And this scene:
"KANE
You all think I’m the bad guy,
but I’m the only one willing to
do what it takes to save us.
Before she can respond, he pulls her in roughly, pressing his
mouth to hers. She SLAPS him across the face, holding his
wide-eyed stare for a moment, before kissing him back.
Raw, angry passion. Clearly, these two have secretly been
f u c k ing. This time, before it can get past a kiss, Cece’s
conscience wins out and she abruptly pushes away from him..."

Old 03-30-2015, 12:34 PM
Passionate Fan

That's it, I must read the script. I just don't know when I'll have the time. I still have 300 pages left in my novel for my book club tomorrow night. Gah!

Who is Cece?
Old 03-30-2015, 12:52 PM
Total Fan

MiniElky, sorry about not changing the numbers and links in the OP. It is certainly a grave offense and I wouldn't blame you if you added me to your ignore list. I've added people to mine for less.

Kenni, what's your book club book? Cece was the lady in the pilot who is played by Kelly Hu (China White in Arrow) who was best friends with Abby and "clearly f u c k ing" Kane.

Raven Hawthorne is such a clunky name. I don't like it. And of course Kane and Cece were involved. I guess they just decided that they didn't have room for another major adult character. Think of how much extra complication that would have added. What would the series look like now if Cece had been a main character this whole time?
Old 03-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ I'm sorry, did you say anything interesting? I couldn't see it JK JK JK

Yeah I think cutting Cece made sense, although it would have been nice to have that actress in the show.

Raven being Finn's mom is just too weird for words, and making her younger and his gf kind of fits in better with a CW show, I think. What would Raven as a mom have done in that pod? Also in this script, the pod is her idea and not Abby's.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:15 PM
Passionate Fan

Ah, China White, I remember her. Yeah, it's probably a good thing they didn't keep her around. As it is they don't always seem to know what to do with the adults. Plus, who then would have given Waller the excuse to drag Oliver to Hong Kong?

I am curious why they made that change for Raven, though I'm glad for it. Could have done without the Clarke/Finn/Raven love triangle though.

"Let the wild rumpus start" needs to be thread title at some point.

The book is Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. It's not long, only 322 pages. But I'm only 22 pages in. And that was read this morning before work. Unfortunately I'm reading a physical copy so I can't even sneak some reading in at work.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:33 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniElky (View Post)
^ I'm sorry, did you say anything interesting? I couldn't see it JK JK JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenni727 (View Post)
I am curious why they made that change for Raven, though I'm glad for it. Could have done without the Clarke/Finn/Raven love triangle though.
I have two theories about this. First, I think maybe that the original love triangle was supposed to be Wells/Clarke/Finn, but when they decided they wanted to keep Jasper alive, they realized they needed to kill somebody else to "set the tone" for the show and decided to sacrifice Wells. But then they didn't have a love triangle, so they changed Raven's character and switched it to Clarke/Finn/Raven.

The other theory is that somebody realized that having Raven come down in the pod would have created a totally bizarre dynamic if she was somebody's mom, so they changed her character. Because for real. How weird would that have been if in the fourth episode this Mom type shows up and there's 100 kids and this one older lady who is also Finn's mother?

Quote:
"Let the wild rumpus start" needs to be thread title at some point.
Should I start a list of suggested titles in the OP so we don't forget about it?
Old 03-30-2015, 01:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes please add that!

And exactly - Raven coming down as someone's mommy would be a total buzzkill for the wild kids, and I don't know what purpose she would serve other than to probably die. I mean it's hard to say how she would have been written if she remained his mom, but that's just too weird.

But your theory about the love triangle also makes sense!