Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^ And that's what kind of leaves the bitter taste in my mouth because he wasn't some 'nobody' character who didn't have much room for development. All the potential directions were just screaming from the television screen and yet the writers purposely decided to either completely strip those avenues away or completely ignore others all together. It's a darn shame, it really is.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrhmLz (View Post)
^ And that's what kind of leaves the bitter taste in my mouth because he wasn't some 'nobody' character who didn't have much room for development. All the potential directions were just screaming from the television screen and yet the writers purposely decided to either completely strip those avenues away or completely ignore others all together. It's a darn shame, it really is.
I know. This character could have made such a huge and lasting positive impact on the story, which makes it all the more sickening when you look back and once again realize that he did way more harm than good in the grand scheme of things. Honestly, the only good and worthwhile things Ryan did was to assist the resistance on a couple of missions and even that was basically nullified with the traitor storyline in the end. And now that I think about it, Valerie and Joe basically died at the same time. That, too, would have been the perfect opportunity for a nice and positive bonding scene between Ryan and Erica, but instead, we got to see the human characters blaming Ryan for Joe's demise and the similarity of the situation was never acknowledged.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgo1001 (View Post)
I know. This character could have made such a huge and lasting positive impact on the story, which makes it all the more sickening when you look back and once again realize that he did way more harm than good in the grand scheme of things. Honestly, the only good and worthwhile things Ryan did was to assist the resistance on a couple of missions and even that was basically nullified with the traitor storyline in the end. And now that I think about it, Valerie and Joe basically died at the same time. That, too, would have been the perfect opportunity for a nice and positive bonding scene between Ryan and Erica, but instead, we got to see the human characters blaming Ryan for Joe's demise and the similarity of the situation was never acknowledged.
Yes, it's true, between the deaths of Valerie/Joe and the similar circumstances regarding their children in Anna's evil clutches - you would think that the show would have drawn on these parallels to bring Erica and Ryan closer together in fighting this war. That's what doesn't make sense so I'm only left to assume that it was definitely deliberate on the writers part to ignore any positive dynamics shared between Ryan and the others in the group.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Yes, it's true, between the deaths of Valerie/Joe and the similar circumstances regarding their children in Anna's evil clutches - you would think that the show would have drawn on these parallels to bring Erica and Ryan closer together in fighting this war. That's what doesn't make sense so I'm only left to assume that it was definitely deliberate on the writers part to ignore any positive dynamics shared between Ryan and the others in the group.
Yup, and that was because he was a V. I'm sure. The anti-species feel to this show was so incredibly bad. The fact that Ryan was killed off immediately after he was revealed to be a traitor, making sure that no human resistance member was going to shed a tear over his fate, only served to underline this even further. No lasting human/V working relationships were allowed in SR's version of V. Let alone thriving human/V friendships or romances. Ryan was deeply integrated in the human story right from the very beginning, so I guess it only made a perverted kind of sense for the character to take the biggest hits once SR took over and turned the story on it's head.

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 06-08-2011 at 02:33 PM
Old 06-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yup, and that was because he was a V. I'm sure. The anti-species feel to this show was so incredibly bad. The fact that Ryan was killed off immediately after he was revealed to be a traitor, making sure that no human resistance member was going to shed a tear over his fate, only served to underline this even further. No lasting human/V working relationships were allowed in SR's version of V. Let alone thriving human/V friendships or romances. Ryan was deeply integrated in the human story right from the very beginning, so I guess it only made a perverted kind of sense for the character to take the biggest hits once SR took over and turned the story on it's head.
Sadly, I think that makes sense. Ryan was bound to take alot of 'Anti-V' hits when SR took over because he was definitely gearing this show in favor of humanity against all things V. To me it felt like he wanted to take the show in the direction of an 'Independence Day' type of scenario where all the V's were a living threat to Humanity's survival. While that may have worked for the movie, that's not the case for a TV series like V where we had an integration of characters from both species inside of a complicated dynamic. We are talking about Visitors, like Ryan, who had acquired the ability to feel human emotion which put this show in a completely different 'alien v. human' theme all together. SR backtracking like that obviously did more harm than good.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Sadly, I think that makes sense. Ryan was bound to take alot of 'Anti-V' hits when SR took over because he was definitely gearing this show in favor of humanity against all things V. To me it felt like he wanted to take the show in the direction of an 'Independence Day' type of scenario where all the V's were a living threat to Humanity's survival. While that may have worked for the movie, that's not the case for a TV series like V where we had an integration of characters from both species inside of a complicated dynamic. We are talking about Visitors, like Ryan, who had acquired the ability to feel human emotion which put this show in a completely different 'alien v. human' theme all together. SR backtracking like that obviously did more harm than good.
Yep. And do you know what Heather? A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled upon a new 'old' video of Liz, Scott and Morena from their European press tour last summer and they were talking about how there are good V's out there, that not all V's are bad and that things on the show aren't all black and white. You can probably already guess what I thought and felt when I saw that.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yep. And do you know what Heather? A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled upon a new 'old' video of Liz, Scott and Morena from their European press tour last summer and they were talking about how there are good V's out there, that not all V's are bad and that things on the show aren't all black and white. You can probably already guess what I thought and felt when I saw that.
Geez. More reminders of how screwed up and off course this show went. Even the actors were privy to a certain direction that obviously it got toppled right over for other nonsense that made no sense.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Geez. More reminders of how screwed up and off course this show went. Even the actors were privy to a certain direction that obviously it got toppled right over for other nonsense that made no sense.
Yup. Also, something I noticed just now by thinking back to last season, how did Ryan's eye heal as quickly as it did? Back in season 1, the show made it a point to show us that damage to the V's fake skin doesn't heal on it's own. The V's either need to apply some kind of gel to the wound or use one of their special healing tools to restore the damage to their skin. Ryan clearly doesn't possess either one of those things. Otherwise, he wouldn't have needed to go to Angelo to take care of his injured arm when the show first started out. So, how did his miraculous recovery happen last season?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yup. Also, something I noticed just now by thinking back to last season, how did Ryan's eye heal as quickly as it did? Back in season 1, the show made it a point to show us that damage to the V's fake skin doesn't heal on it's own. The V's either need to apply some kind of gel to the wound or use one of their special healing tools to restore the damage to their skin. Ryan clearly doesn't possess either one of those things. Otherwise, he wouldn't have needed to go to Angelo to take care of his injured arm when the show first started out. So, how did his miraculous recovery happen last season?
Maybe they were going to pull a 'double whammy' and reveal that it was really Ryan's evil twin all along?! Fake Lisa 2.0?! Our Lisa would have run into our real Ryan being held captive in the dungeon somewhere!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:48 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Maybe they were going to pull a 'double whammy' and reveal that it was really Ryan's evil twin all along?! Fake Lisa 2.0?! Our Lisa would have run into our real Ryan being held captive in the dungeon somewhere!
But in all seriousness, that was obviously just another case of SR ignoring prior established canon. He did it all the time. He even did it with Ryan's sucky traitor storyline because it was total nonsense that the character didn't have anyone to turn to. I know SR didn't want any of the human characters to have anything to do with the hybrid child storyline so they weren't an option on principle even if it rendered the whole storyline pointless, but Ryan could have easily tracked down one of his old Fifth Column V pals and asked them for help. Heck, he even could have asked Leah seeing that she was nice enough to help him with Val's pregnancy up to the point where she was risking her own life in the process. It's just that SR had Ryan deliberately forget all those past V connections when he wanted to push a square peg into a round hole with his new nonsensical 'black and white' story direction.

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 06-17-2011 at 09:54 AM
Old 06-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
But in all seriousness, that was obviously just another case of SR ignoring prior established canon. He did it all the time. He even did it with Ryan's sucky traitor storyline because it was total nonsense that the character didn't have anyone to turn to. I know SR didn't want any of the human characters to have anything to do with the hybrid child storyline so they weren't an option on principle even if it rendered the whole storyline pointless, but Ryan could have easily tracked down one of his old Fifth Column V pals and asked them for help. Heck, he even could have asked Leah seeing that she was nice enough to help him with Val's pregnancy up to the point where she was risking her own life in the process. It's just that SR had Ryan deliberately forget all those past V connections when he wanted to push a square peg into a round hole with his new nonsensical 'black and white' story direction.
I know! I mean, first off, let's be real unlike SR was being. Whenever you set up an interspecies war, with humanity as the underdog who's survival is threatened, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to have a hybrid child that has nothing to do with the 'underdogs' in the war. Dumb! Dumb! and Dumber! Secondly, to then take it a step further and cut off all V's as evil beings who can't be trusted by humanity; thus obliterating our Fifth Column segment, this isolates the hybrid child from the other race. So, in this sense, it only kind of makes some twisted sense that Ryan's daughter turned out to be like an 'evil V' instead of a true hybrid child caught in the middle of a complex war between two species that she is a part of: a war where there are no clear dividing lines on which humans/V's are good and which ones are bad. And in order to highlight just how bad V's were, they had to taint Ryan because of his V status. This inevitably lead to Amy becoming the same if he was no longer a V who was a resistance fighter against Anna and sympathetic to humanity.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Elite Fan

What's also kinda sad and ironic about it all is that after Valerie died, there seemed to be ample reason to believe that the trashing of Ryan's character would finally be over. I'm not saying that it was ever a good thing for Valerie to have gotten killed off, but back in season 1, it was just the Valerie storyline (and the John May revelation, which still felt and looked a lot like a potential fakeout) that was dragging his character down. He was still allowed to be a fun and kickass character whenever he was away from her and interacting with the other resistance characters, but of course, SR had to trash that too 1 season later. The Valerie mess was only the beginning.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, it's seems pretty apparent to me that SR didn't like Ryan. I think the only V he really cared for was Anna!

Old 07-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Elite Fan

Definitely. SR's hard-on for Anna was impossible to ignore. And it really underlines how badly Ryan was trashed by SR when even people, who had him as their favorite character in season 1, were so annoyed by him in season 2 that they were glad when he got killed off. This was a deliberate destruction of the character on part of the writers IMO. No doubt.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, that's just sad and wrong, that his own fans were deliberately turned against him. Anna was getting everything - even Ryan and Val's daughter. She had Tyler in her clutches. She was going to experience conflicting emotion. I know something was wrong when characters like Ryan were destroyed and killed and actresses like EM are now being nominated least favorite actress. C'mon, that's a joke - she doesn't deserve that. So what does that tell you what SR was even doing to ERica herself with this story! And she was supposed to be he main heroine in this war.