Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Makeover (4x03) - Episode Discussion

Makeover
4x03 - episode discussion

--"GLEE" - (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

IT'S ELECTION TIME AT MCKINLEY ON AN ALL-NEW "GLEE" THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 27 ON FOX

Sarah Jessica Parker ("Sex and the City") Guest-Stars

The campaign showdown begins when Brittany and Blaine go head-to-head for Student Council President. Meanwhile, Kurt gets the internship of his dreams on an all-new "Makeover" episode of GLEE airing Thursday, Sept. 27 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GLE-403) (TV-14 L)

Cast: Matthew Morrison as Will Schuester; Jane Lynch as Sue Sylvester; Lea Michele as Rachel Berry; Cory Monteith as Finn Hudson; Chris Colfer as Kurt; Kevin McHale as Artie; Amber Riley as Mercedes; Mark Salling as Puck; Jenna Ushkowitz as Tina; Naya Rivera as Santana Lopez; Heather Morris as Brittany; Darren Criss as Blaine Anderson; Chord Overstreet as Sam Evans; Jayma Mays as Emma Pillsbury; Mike O'Malley as Burt Hummel.

Guest Cast: Sarah Jessica Parker as Isabelle Klempt; Vanessa Lengies as Sugar Motta; Samuel Larsen as Joe Hart; Jacob Artist as Jake Puckerman; Melissa Benoist as Marley Rose; Dean Geyer as Brody Weston; Becca Tobin as Kitty; Iqbal Theba as Principal Figgins; and Alex Newell as Wade Adams.

Based on previous heated debates, we (moderators) have decided to list some guidelines and rules that need to be followed on all episode discussions here.

1. Do not bash any of the cast members or writers. Discussion should be about characters. Substituting an actors name for a character when discussing the character is not okay. They're not the same person. Respectfully critiquing someone's performance or a writer's contribution is fine, however, bashing and being rude about them is not. Offensive nicknames for the writers and cast-members are also not to be used here. This is against Fan Forum policy and is an insult to real people.

2. Feel free to visit the general discussion threads or the previous episode discussion threads here to continue talking about episodes that have already aired.

3. Be respectful to each other, moderators, and to every fandom despite your personal beliefs. Previous episode discussions presented us with problems and we'd like to prevent this from happening. We encourage a good debate, but let's keep it respectful. Personal attacks are not needed, nor allowed here. Targeting another poster on who they support or why their argument is invalid is also unnecessary. Please refer back to Fan Forum's rules regarding this. No matter who you support or ship, we are all fans and people, too.

4. This is a Glee Appreciation board. And as such, it is great to critique, debate and interact respectfully with the fans. But we cannot emphasize enough that calling the show, its cast and crew, etc. 'racist', 'homophobic' or 'sexist' is extremely offensive and will not be tolerated. This board isn't the place for these remarks. Please take it off site or keep it to yourself.
Thank you, everyone!

Happy Hunger Games Glee Discussion!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Can't wait for tonight!
(HTGAWM) Connor&Oliver, (OITNB) John&Daya, (B99) Jake&Amy, (NCIS: LA) Deeks&Kensi, (Castle) Castle&Beckett, (Nashville) Deacon&Rayna, (Chicago Fire) Casey&Dawson, (GMW) Cory&Topanga
Old 09-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Fan Forum Legend

thanks for the new thread Noelle
Old 09-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Moderator of ...
Graphics Team

Thanks love YAY NEW EPISODE
Old 09-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Dedicated Fan

Glee's most problematic weakness has been one common throughout the work of Ryan Murphy. If many tv creators know the grand possibilities of building a storyline and depicting the complexities of their characters using a 22 episode season - or for that matter even a 10 to 12 episode season as found on many cable shows - Murphy's tendency is not to let storylines build steadily or keep his characterizations sharply detailed. So what is commonly left is a rush from event to event that leaves Glee feeling hurried and audiences quizzically trying to figure out which version of their favorite characters will show up each week.

After all, we are only 3 episodes into a new season and yet Rachel has fallen for a new guy we barely know, Brittany is cuddling with Sam - who apparently is now a complete moron who doesn't know what debate means, and Kurt is a burgeoning fashion star who is ignoring Blaine. It is not that such developments couldn't occur - though to be fair they come across as tired conceptually. However due to the hurried nature expressed, none of it feels organic.

It feels rather dishonest and this is coming from a person who dislikes shipping.

There is also a double standard problem and again it involves the presentation of homosexuality in comparison to heterosexuality. Brody and Rachel's physicality is more intimacy than the show has ever been given to Brittany and Santana or Blaine and Kurt. Sam and Brittany's cuddling, which on Brittany's side is at least supposed to be about friendship while clearly playing on preteen straight girl fantasies and setting up Santana jealousy at some point, is more shown physical intimacy than the show has given to Brittany and Santana or Blaine and Kurt. These problems exist on other shows which depict same sex romance - most infamously the double standard when it comes to kissing on Modern Family. However Glee appears unwilling to resolve this long fermenting problem.

As for other characters, Tina continues to be in the background and Artie and Sugar are considered so minor they are not even given the scene where Sugar asks him out. After all that would take away from Brody time and the bland retread of a plotline given to Kurt. Chris Colfer deserves so much better.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Part-Time Fan

While I agree a great many things about this episode felt forced and random, Kurt in fashion was not one of them. His desire to go to NYADA and Broadway while believable were not nearly to Ravhel levels of singlemindedness. His interest in fashion is possibly stronger. What was bizarre was SJ Parker's character and the fact Kurt was nearly doing her job for her. I thought she was to be his mentor not his BFF. I can't say it bothers me because Kurt deserves some happiness. It just seemed like they were going a little too far making his boss distinct from Cassandra July.

Other notes:
Not sure but I think there were less songs than usual. If so good. It often feels like there is nothing but commercials between them. If not, i guess it means they finally learned to make them more organic to the plot.

Still not very concerned about possible Brittany and Sam. My only wish is that Brittany doesn't cheat. Same for Santana.

Not sure why, but I suspect Brittany purposely threw that debate. The writers are doing better with making her actions interpretable in multiple ways but it sucks that casual fans are still going to find her as dumb as a box of rocks.

Yay for Will realizing his shortcomings and searching for a better way to try to make a difference. I'm happy for him. My reserves of Schue-hate are rapidly decreasing.

I loved Rachel and Brody, but it still felt too soon even without Finn's lurking. This is not the rehabilitation of Rachel Berry I was hoping for.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Elite Fan

This one was alright. The second half was definitely better than the first.

I'm no big fan of Blaine, and his friendship with Sam does nothing for me, but he did fine with Everybody Wants To Rule The World. I've heard like two better versions though. He needs to learn how to not enunciate so clearly and loosen up vocally. Maybe the lack of bowties will help.

The song with Brittany/Sam was a lot of fun, though Heather's voice paled in comparison to Chord's.

I thought Sue's reaction to Artie's speech was hilarious. I guess I'll give up my Artina dream and ship Artie/Sugar. I like Sugar a lot so okay.

Same with Brody/Rachel. I thought their duet towards the end was really fun and flirtatious. Finn arriving in NY complicates things. I'm not sure who to root for yet.

Kurt's more fun Blaine-free. I loved his little song and dance with SJP and Rachel, who's unfortunately becoming too Lea for my liking. It's just too much too soon. The wardrobe, the sexy dancing, the highlights...I still want my neurotic Rachel once in awhile. And no, I don't think Finn has to be around in order for her to be that.

Becky! I loved that she didn't feel like doing the xylophone and Sue was somewhat disappointed. Nice to see Will doing something with his life but half the kids are new to the club so this is NOT the best time to chase a dream if he wants to win another National championship. I don't get this plot, except if MM needs time off for other work.

I'm not sure where Brittany/Sam is going but I expect Santana to be jealous.

The fashion storyline kinda dragged, but when SJP started having fun, so did I. But still want Kurt at NYADA.

I haven't been driven to buy a song or a season 4 soundtrack. Impress me, peeps!

A so-so ep with the occasional nice moment.

icon
Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakenbake (View Post)
While I agree a great many things about this episode felt forced and random, Kurt in fashion was not one of them. His desire to go to NYADA and Broadway while believable were not nearly to Ravhel levels of singlemindedness. His interest in fashion is possibly stronger.
Quakenbake, I don't think it is forced or random for Kurt's interest in fashion to be a plotline. What I think is forced and nonsensical is that Kurt is a burgeoning fashion star within one episode. With one episode, he applies for a job, gets hired - when there would be a ton of candidates with more experience, and turns out to be this genius who is being indirectly praised by Anna Wintour. This is my problem. This is a plotline that should take time to develop. Instead it is hurried to a ridiculous extreme. He is one person away Wintour in one episode? It would be like Finn coming to NY to act and being cast in a prominent role in a David Fincher film with his first audition - all in one episode.

Same with Sam and Brittany. Neither has shown any interest in each other for the last two seasons - unless someone thinks a Spin the Bottle game is destiny. Then all of a sudden, Sam gets really stupid and they are BFF's? Brittany goes from missing Santana on skype to cuddling with Sam in one episode. They can't build that need for intimacy over a few episodes? I get that there is a girlfriend problem. Too many male characters - not enough romantic partners to go around. So the easiest way is to have a Santana/Brittany breakup and then hook up Brittany with one of the guys - Joe, Sam, Artie - which was taken care of tonight off screen. So they have a few scenes to show them being intimate - in a way they never show for the same sex couples. Then force a contrived breakup - which also gets rid of the same sex couple Brittany/Santana that Murphy clearly has no real interest in.

The problem is it feels forced and seems designed to pander to a portion of it's audience - the sort that goes he's so dreamy about guys no matter how dull their personality - than tell a story. It feels like the writers aren't trying. We already have this tired Rachel/Finn/Quinn redux in Marley/Jake/Kitty. At this point, it is getting difficult to want to continue watching.

Last edited by Inesal; 09-27-2012 at 10:37 PM
Old 09-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

This episode was kinda boring for me,not much really happening
felt a bit sorry for blaine

enjoyed brody/rach duet,it was flirty, they are cute,im i kinda torn on who i ship her with,wasnt expecting ginn to show up things are gonna get complicated

I love you
it's ruining my life
{}
Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Master Fan

Can Blaine disappear forever please? I am so sick of his gelled hair and eyebrows and just his whiny ass in general. Darren Criss can’t act to save his life IMHO and I just am so tired of him on the show. I think my eyes fell into the back of my head when he won. Of course Saint Blaine won, OF COURSE. Also he’s still upset about the hair gel incident from prom? Get over it already. Brittany eventually let you use your gel when she saw what a disaster you looked like without it. Plus I can’t with his whiny ass being mopey that Kurt like ignored one call, when he was at WORK. Lord.

Now onto Rachel, and all I have to say is… Good for you girl. You purse Brody and forget Finn. Maybe it’s too soon and I would love to see a single Rachel tbh, but it’s so refreshing to me to see a guy who is really into her and wants her and is interested in what she says instead of vice versa. One of the issues I had with Finn and Rachel is that it always seemed like it was Rachel pining for Finn and her being the loser in love with the hero athlete and sometimes they’d want us to think he was into her too but I was never fully sold on it. So go Rachel. Good for you. Also honesty? Finn pushed her to go to NY and he hasn’t kept in contact with her for 2 months, at some point Rachel has to say **** it and move on. Maybe she should have ended things with Finn first, but hey it’s not like he was around to ever answer her calls if she did. So again good for Rachel. I much prefer Brody over Finn.

Um I really hope they don’t go the Sam/Brittany route although it looks to be that way, le sigh. Even though Britney is bi-curious [according to the show], it still irks the hell out of me when Glee has all these men that are gay and yet only one lesbian. So of effing course they make the one involved with a girl a possible love interest for a male. Would they ever do this for a dude? Nope, of course not. Blaine/Rachel don’t even count since that never went anywhere and he knew he liked guys after the 2nd kiss with Rachel, etc. If Brittany and Santana break up for this I will have no words.

I did really enjoy Kurt’s storyline as unrealistic as it was, I mean lbr even Lauren Conrad started off at Teen Vogue. I also enjoyed SJP more than I thought. The mash up was so fun and cute and while I always side eye the writers making fun of Rachel for her style, the number was enough to keep my eyes from fully rolling. Plus I kinda like Rachel’s look, even if it’s basically Lea’s.

Will who?

ICON CREDIT // TUMBLR
Old 09-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Dedicated Fan

I find Brody off-putting. He comes across like your typical college player who looks for the most vulnerable women and says the right things and, when it comes down to it, is only concerned with a conquest. Maybe it is the writing or the acting or maybe it is on purpose but he seems creepy to me.

So does Sam though. And that pisses me off. If they had had Brittany and Santana break up and then started bringing Sam into the picture it would be one thing. But Sam knows Brittany is with Santana and extremely vulnerable. He seems to be acting on that vulnerability. What kind of person sees someone who is sad and lonely because she is missing her lover who is at college and starts trying to get close to that person. One would hope it is someone who means to stay a friend only but given Sam's looks at her - it just seems creepy. I don't like creepy Sam. Could you imagine if he swoops in now if there is a breakup. He would be the equivalent of a vulture. They have taken a nice character and they are beginning to make him look like scum. Now I am aware that he was coming on hard to Mercedes when she had a boyfriend. But in that case, there was a prior romance with Mercedes that had not broken up cleanly. It reminded me of Santana's behavior when Brittany was with Artie. In both cases, I was bothered by how Sam and Santana acted and felt bad for the boyfriends of Mercedes and Brittany. I called Sam and Santana on their behavior (and Brittany for that matter - Mercedes seemed actually torn). But Sam is taking it to a different level. He is coming across like a world class creep and that terrible talk with Blaine did not help things. It had a "gay guys are cool as long as they aren't too gay" feel. How patronizing!

Last edited by Inesal; 09-27-2012 at 11:32 PM
Old 09-28-2012, 12:29 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by breath we drew (View Post)
One of the issues I had with Finn and Rachel is that it always seemed like it was Rachel pining for Finn and her being the loser in love with the hero athlete and sometimes they’d want us to think he was into her too but I was never fully sold on it.
I've never doubted how much Finn came to love Rachel. And as demonstrated in 3x22, Rachel was the only good thing in his life, but he sent her off to NYC because he knew that she belonged there and couldn't stay for him.

"You don't wanna marry me?"
"I want to marry you so badly that I can't. That's how much I love you."

Finn's face when he saw Brody.. that was hearbreaking.

I get that Rachel is lonely, but she has a makeover and all of a sudden she's all over the new guy? I don't know, this is all just a bit disappointing to me. I wish they'd have let Finn and Rachel work out their status together before having them kissing other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inesal (View Post)
I find Brody off-putting.
Yeah, same.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:26 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inesal (View Post)
Quakenbake, I don't think it is forced or random for Kurt's interest in fashion to be a plotline. What I think is forced and nonsensical is that Kurt is a burgeoning fashion star within one episode. With one episode, he applies for a job, gets hired - when there would be a ton of candidates with more experience, and turns out to be this genius who is being indirectly praised by Anna Wintour.
Now this is 100% correct but if if I were going to be upset every time something unbelievable happened I'd be complaining each episode. IMHO this is no different than Rachel getting into NYADA with just one school play under her belt, or Quinn at Yale, or Finn in the Army despite no PT program and no mention of taking the ASVAB . Also let's be real Mercedes getting a record deal from one YouTube video? When in the glee universe she can't even beat Rachel for a solo? Umm...sure.

When glee decides to do something it does it, reality be damned. So if it's at least in character, I let it go.

I'm still not going to worry about Brittany/Sam until it happens. Thats because it would be OOC for them to get together. Brittany should take a much longer time to get over SantNa if they break up. Also I don't think Sam would date her. He seems like the type to find dating his exes ex weird. Maybe this is fanon speaking but I also think his friendship with Santana would make it an issue with the bro code in his mind.

What I did see in this episode was a "no homo" moment for Sam. They pretty much neutralized him as a bisexual even though he was originally brought on as an interest for Kurt and many still see him as secretly bisexual. (see his moments with Puck) I just assume that glance with Marley means something even if that is a lame Sam/Marley/Jake situation.

I know that I am very likely to be proven wrong and won't be terribly surprised if I am. But until that comes I won't be preemptively angry over something that should be improbable. It still won't be enough to make me stop watching like some Brittana fans are saying. I've learned to accept glee for the terribly flawed show that it is.

It would be better if Brittany got with a female character though and Santana got a new love interest because a. There is a. disparity between lesbians and gays and b. having Brittana as single or with men would probably result in fan erasure of their sexualities.

Finally, I will be mad as hell if they try to portray Brochel as Rachel cheating. Apparently R. Murph didn't see that dramatic separation as a break up. Meh. But I'm tired of the woman always being wrong and I don't think I can stomach another season of Rachel apologizing and trying to get Finn back. We'll see how it pans out though.

Last edited by quakenbake; 09-28-2012 at 02:32 AM
Old 09-28-2012, 03:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Loved the episode until Brody/Rachel got on my screen.

Finally a little focus on Blaine that didn't mean singing too much, I love that he is getting more involved with the school and I love his friendship with Sam.

Kurt is totally in his world and I love how easy he goes along with Isabelle!

Brittany and Sam, something is going to happen there.

Can Brody disappear already? Seriously," we're just friends" and a second later he kisses her, okay dude whatever you say

Will going after is dream is paving the way for someone else taking over Glee club.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:06 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakenbake (View Post)
Now this is 100% correct but if if I were going to be upset every time something unbelievable happened I'd be complaining each episode. IMHO this is no different than Rachel getting into NYADA with just one school play under her belt, or Quinn at Yale, or Finn in the Army despite no PT program and no mention of taking the ASVAB . Also let's be real Mercedes getting a record deal from one YouTube video? When in the glee universe she can't even beat Rachel for a solo? Umm...sure.

When glee decides to do something it does it, reality be damned. So if it's at least in character, I let it go.
Good point. I hated those plot turns to but it is keeping with Glee's tendencies.

Quote:
What I did see in this episode was a "no homo" moment for Sam. They pretty much neutralized him as a bisexual even though he was originally brought on as an interest for Kurt and many still see him as secretly bisexual. (see his moments with Puck) I just assume that glance with Marley means something even if that is a lame Sam/Marley/Jake situation.
I was cringing throughout that scene with Blaine and Sam. It was patronizing to all viewers.

Quote:
It would be better if Brittany got with a female character though and Santana got a new love interest because a. There is a. disparity between lesbians and gays and b. having Brittana as single or with men would probably result in fan erasure of their sexualities.
I totally agree.

Last edited by Inesal; 09-28-2012 at 06:16 AM