Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ale-la-pazza1 (View Post)
Unique is definitely a better friend for Marley than Kitty.
Matt Rutherford is a better friend for Marley than Kitty. lol
Old 11-24-2012, 07:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakenbake (View Post)
Matt Rutherford is a better friend for Marley than Kitty. lol
Yeah
Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Word. In an ideal world Marley wouldn't be so freaking naive. But here's hoping Unique will see what's going on and dole out some home truths pretty soon.

I'm not sure if this is my new favorite friendship or if Inesal has incepted me into just shipping Unique with the girls.
Instead of having a really intriguing romance between Unique and one of the girls or Unique and one of the boys, sadly I have a feeling Unique is going to play the same role Kurt did in season 1. Parent/child drama, a crush on a boy, and friend to the outcast girl.

While I have said it would be fascinating if Brittany or Marley ended up with Unique (and I will throw Kitty in there), it would be great if one of the new boys had shown romantic interest. Ryder may be bland but it would have still be intriguing if Unique turns around to see Ryder fixated on her. Ryder quickly turns away. It happens again. The handsome, bland guy is hung up on Unique. While I would still hold reservations with Ryder due to how badly the character is acted, at least it would show Glee was trying.

I just feel like this show, maybe in an attempt to build ratings, seems to be really focusing on the most mundane possible romances. The love triangle (which to be fair has an interracial element). Artie and Sugar (which granted we rarely see). Rachel and Brody. Meanwhile they have broken up both same sex couples and Mercedes/Sam. Not only that but a person that was in an interracial romance and a person that was in a same sex romance seem likely to get together to form the most boring straight coupling in Glee's history.

It isn't as if they are all out degaying the show. I know that. But the reality is that it appears the queer characters will all be staying single for awhile (with the exception of the queer character who will enter a straight romance) while we focus on straight romances. I have to wonder if this is on purpose. It just seems way too straight focused. I feel like we are back in season 1 of Glee (where I sat there annoyed that Kurt was the only character who got no romance while it was all straight romances).

And the love triangle, in particular, really makes me feel contempt. Because it seems the height of cynical. As if the writers think they can plug in two hot guys (and tired archetypes at that), give them each some traits to register empathy, not even worry about the acting, and know that a significant segment of the audience will be going I want Ryder with Marley and another segment will be going I want Jake with Marley. It's like choosing between two pieces of driftwood. There is nothing there. I think the show should value it's audience more than that. It used to.

Last edited by Inesal; 11-24-2012 at 09:57 AM
Old 11-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inesal (View Post)
Instead of having a really intriguing romance between Unique and one of the girls or Unique and one of the boys, sadly I have a feeling Unique is going to play the same role Kurt did in season 1. Parent/child drama, a crush on a boy, and friend to the outcast girl.

While I have said it would be fascinating if Brittany or Marley ended up with Unique (and I will throw Kitty in there), it would be great if one of the new boys had shown romantic interest. Ryder may be bland but it would have still be intriguing if Unique turns around to see Ryder fixated on her. Ryder quickly turns away. It happens again. The handsome, bland guy is hung up on Unique. While I would still hold reservations with Ryder due to how badly the character is acted, at least it would show Glee was trying.

I just feel like this show, maybe in an attempt to build ratings, seems to be really focusing on the most mundane possible romances. The love triangle (which to be fair has an interracial element). Artie and Sugar (which granted we rarely see). Rachel and Brody. Meanwhile they have broken up both same sex couples and Mercedes/Sam. Not only that but a person that was in an interracial romance and a person that was in a same sex romance seem likely to get together to form the most boring straight coupling in Glee's history.

It isn't as if they are all out degaying the show. I know that. But the reality is that it appears the queer characters will all be staying single for awhile (with the exception of the queer character who will enter a straight romance) while we focus on straight romances. I have to wonder if this is on purpose. It just seems way too straight focused. I feel like we are back in season 1 of Glee (where I sat there annoyed that Kurt was the only character who got no romance while it was all straight romances).

And the love triangle, in particular, really makes me feel contempt. Because it seems the height of cynical. As if the writers think they can plug in two hot guys (and tired archetypes at that), give them each some traits to register empathy, not even worry about the acting, and know that a significant segment of the audience will be going I want Ryder with Marley and another segment will be going I want Jake with Marley. It's like choosing between two pieces of driftwood. There is nothing there. I think the show should value it's audience more than that. It used to.
I feel like they won't even touch the argument of Unique and romance.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Part-Time Fan

I don't know...Ryder and Unique would be so much like Samcedes pt 2. I'm on the fence about whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.

And I agree that they probably won't bother with giving Unique a romantic storyline at all.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I don't know...Ryder and Unique would be so much like Samcedes pt 2. I'm on the fence about whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.

And I agree that they probably won't bother with giving Unique a romantic storyline at all.
Ryder and Unique? Nah.

I prefer Ryder with Marley
Old 11-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Ryder and Unique? Nah.

I prefer Ryder with Marley
Ryder/Unique would never happen anyway. Lol

If we're discussing the current quadrangle, personally prefer Marley with Jake. Or Kitty with Jake. Actually, I don't really care. Baby Puck is just my favorite noob.

PLOT TWIST: Unique and Joe. It starts with UST and Joe, being as sheltered as he is, really just doesn't know what to do with Unique. And Unique can't believe she likes a guy that looks like a hippie. So many opportunities for humor there.

I'm off to take my crazy rantings to the UC thread now.

Last edited by quakenbake; 11-24-2012 at 10:37 AM
Old 11-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:

If we're discussing the current quadrangle, personally prefer Marley with Jake. Or Kitty with Jake. Actually, I don't really care. Baby Puck is just my favorite noob.
While clearly I have no desire to see either Jake or Ryder on my screen, the Ryder/Marley situation is particularly galling. You can see the writers going lets do Rachel/Finn all over again and watch the Finn/Rachel fans who like Finn/Rachel more for being archetypes instead of fleshed out characters eat it up. This is what I mean about cynicism. I hoped Glee was above this.

How can Glee, this shortly into the series, be this creatively bankrupt? Heck, Degrassi has been on for years and yet they are able to introduce original feeling romances on a regular basis. They seem interested in challenging their audience instead of pandering. Even the latest love quadrangle is focused more on the friendship between the two girls. If one compares how they show the Tori/Maya relationship there to the Kitty/Marley one here, the difference is staggering.

And this Tina thing has me roiled. You have these two new guys and neither would look Tina's way. They couldn't have her figure into a romance. Are we supposed to believe a one minute scene between her and Mike is indicative of taking her seriously. It seems more like a proactive excuse. As if the thought is, we don't have to give Tina screentime. We will have her break up with Mike but have a scene where her and Mike still seem interested in each other. Then when people go why isn't Tina with someone we can go she is still hung up on Mike. Just ridiculous.

Quote:
There would be a massive breakdown from some fans. Ryder is such a blatant archetype that he is designed for audiences to fill in the character (he will be the hot, caring jock who falls in love with the outcast). So to have that automatic fill in rejected - priceless. But yep. The show doesn't have what it takes to go there.

Last edited by Inesal; 11-24-2012 at 10:52 AM
Old 11-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
If we're discussing the current quadrangle, personally prefer Marley with Jake. Or Kitty with Jake. Actually, I don't really care. Baby Puck is just my favorite noob
I'm kinda enjoying the field at the moment. I don't mind any combination too much, I've a slightly preference for Ryder/Marley but it could change.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inesal (View Post)
And this Tina thing has me roiled. You have these two new guys and neither would look Tina's way. They couldn't have her figure into a romance. Are we supposed to believe a one minute scene between her and Mike is indicative of taking her seriously. It seems more like a proactive excuse. As if the thought is, we don't have to give Tina screentime. We will have her break up with Mike but have a scene where her and Mike still seem interested in each other. Then when people go why isn't Tina with someone we can go she is still hung up on Mike. Just ridiculous.
If Tina is actually still hung up on Mike, I want to see a 3-4 episode arc devoted to how much she misses him and her related "depression". For example, how she can't even enjoy Twilight anymore. She should then talk about how she dressed as Asian Persuasion just to feel closer to him. I want her to threaten to leave the Glee club because ~feelings then have everyone sing her a song for her to feel better.

I'm working on a list of songs to be included as her angsty solos but Unbreak My Heart is currently number one if only because Its All Coming Back to Me Now was already done. Maybe I Still Believe or Always Be My Baby by Mariah Carey. At least one of said songs should end mid-performance in hideous weeping.

In case this wasn't obvious, all of the above is massive sarcasm and probably kind of rude. I do think Tina would kill those songs though.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
If Tina is actually still hung up on Mike, I want to see a 3-4 episode arc devoted to how much she misses him and her related "depression". For example, how she can't even enjoy Twilight anymore. She should then talk about how she dressed as Asian Persuasion just to feel closer to him. I want her to threaten to leave the Glee club because ~feelings then have everyone sing her a song for her to feel better.
The problem is that Tike has always been a background relationship. They first got together off screen, they broke up off screen and they made up in 30 seconds during a play. She'd never get that type of treatment.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
The problem is that Tike has always been a background relationship. They first got together off screen, they broke up off screen and they made up in 30 seconds during a play. She'd never get that type of treatment.
Yes. Exactly. This is why I'm being bitter and sarcastic.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:

I'm working on a list of songs to be included as her angsty solos but Unbreak My Heart is currently number one if only because Its All Coming Back to Me Now was already done. Maybe I Still Believe or Always Be My Baby by Mariah Carey. At least one of said songs should end mid-performance in hideous weeping.

In case this wasn't obvious, all of the above is massive sarcasm and probably kind of rude. I do think Tina would kill those songs though.
Poor Tina. What would be interesting if she was moping in the first 3 minutes and Finn* realized what would be best is to sing songs to her. Then we never see Tina in the rest of the episode. You have everyone supposedly singing songs to her but she is not shown. Like Ryder sings a song to Tina but the reaction shots are of Marley looking on lovingly and Jake glowering. Then they have Jake sing to Tina and the reaction shots are of Marley looking on lovingly and Ryder glowering. Then Blaine sings to her and they cut to Blaine's receiving a text from Kurt saying leave me alone. Throw in somebackground shots of Sugar/Artie and Sam/Brittany.

*Topping it off is Finn, in a moment that completely breaks from any semblance of continuity, tells Tina he is concerned because Tina was his second.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Part-Time Fan

I don't know whether to laugh or cry because that's so much more likely to happen than mine. This is why I've made Glee a drinking game. Every time it makes me sad I take a swig. I used to take shots, but my liver was not a fan.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yes. Exactly. This is why I'm being bitter and sarcastic.
On this show there A romances, B romances and C romances, nothing we can do about it.