Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2017, 09:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I always forget how long it is. But when I watch it it doesn't seem that long.

I think another reason why the movie is so heartbreaking because it did sink like that and so many people lost their lives.

Afterwards a documentary popped up about it so I watch some of that. It was interesting. A guy searched for reasons why they didn't spot the iceberg sooner and reasons why the ship that was so close to them didn't come to their aid. Apparently there's such a thing as a water mirage when cold and hot air meets. Makes ships look different in a distance always makes the horizon look higher than it is. I don't remember all the scientific elements but basically said because of that it was almost impossible to see the iceberg until it was too late.

Sad part is there's been comments and people saying that if Titanic had hit the iceberg head on it would of damage the ship but it wouldn't of sank.

April
Drunk On You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:05 PM
Elite Fan

I think the writers did well of getting us invested in the sinking through Rose. We saw the tragedy through her eyes. James Cameron did well of showing us how that loss impacted the real people involved. And so, so sad how it was all because of human arrogance.

There were warnings about icebergs but they ignored them. Captain Smith was pressured to get there quickly which was a tragic mistake. I think he did the best he knew to do at the time but hindsight is always 20/20.

Quote:
I always got the impression that Rose's mom pretty much made Rose get engage to Cal? I always wonder though, it's revealed that Rose and her mom have no money that her father left them with no penny (always wonder what happened with him). So why did Cal want to marry Rose? Was it her family name? Or just that she was a pretty upper class woman.
For sure. There were several scenes that indicated that Rose was forced into the engagement. Cal probably wanted to marry her because of the family name, that was important in that time period and his family had enough money as it was. I think he was also attracted to her but couldn't ever really get what he wanted: her heart. The scene in her room where he asked her to open up his heart to him told us that much. I think that's why he reacted so badly when he found out she was with Jack behind his back. She was giving her heart to someone she barely knew and he had never gotten close to it. I think he loved her in his own way but it was a selfish kind of love.
rossfangirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That and much to the time period he thought of her as a possession that he owned.

April
Old 08-04-2017, 04:27 PM
Elite Fan

That's true as well. Ruth treated Rose the same way, as something to be bargained instead of a child who was drowning in the life she was being forced to lead.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

WTF I posted a huge review of this when i rewatched it and now i cant find it? Where the heck did i post it at?
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Was it on this thread? Or maybe did you post it on the thread that has the list of the rewatches?

I know sometimes when I try to post something especially trying to send PMs it "deletes" all the text and just sends blank.

April
Old 08-06-2017, 03:36 PM
Elite Fan

Aww that's really too bad.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

It was this thread because I remember reading other peoples posts. What a bummer! It was a long review too because I was posting as I watched the film. I'm super bummed.

its possible i copied the whole post (because I write them out in notes and then transfer them over sometimes) and then hit paste but didnt actually hit enter. How frustrating.

Anyways, I loved watching the movie again, I think I'd only seen it a few times back when it originally was released. I probably wont ever watch it again in my life. Maybe once more. But it just stays fresh in my mind and tbh this time around it was 100x sadder. I just kept thinking about the REAL people. And the ship scenes at the end are really sad.

But it's an amazing movie. So well done. There were so many little things I loved that i wrote about but now I am forgetting. One thing I loved was that Jack was teaching Rose the loogie thing and then she ended up spitting one at Cal to get away at the end, that was great.

I loved Jack, obviously. And Rose grew on me as the movie went on, I was so happy when she decided to go back and save Jack, what a BAMF! I was really happy when they managed to get out of it. Their love story was def. the best part of the film and the ending was cute. Even though he died, he really helped Rose grow into herself and become a better/stronger person and i like that it ended with a scene of them meeting at the stairs.

(Still depressing though, why couldnt he have survived? )

It also saddens me that the boats didnt return to the people in the water and pick others up, but I do understand their fear of the survivors tipping the boat or the ship pulling them under, so I get why they dint go back. They should have been filled to begin with though. So upsetting.

I also enjoyed the humor in the movie. There were some great funny moments and the way they set the whole film up was great, you really got to know the characters well.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Elite Fan

Sorry for the dp
Old 08-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Elite Fan

^ Aww yeah that always gets to me as well. I think James did really well at conveying the real sense of loss that people experienced after the Titanic sank. He used Rose to get the audience there. It's hard for me to watch the second half of the movie for that reason but it's also the best part of the movie.

And we know why Jack didn't/couldn't survive. Rose didn't get a happy ending with Jack like hundreds of survivors who had the same thing happen to them. Of course it's sad but the movie wouldn't have the same feeling if he had survived. You would expect him to since he's a survivor but it turns out Rose was stronger than she realized. I like how that relationship affected her whole life and helped her break free of a life she never wanted to begin with.

And yes they should've been filled to start with. There weren't enough of them as it was which makes it even sadder.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

What does everyone think about the fan theory that Jack never existed that it was all in her head? It makes some convincing points but I tend to ignore the theory.

I know the main two points of it is what Rose says at the end that Jack only exists now in her mind. Which if you think about it no one else would of remember Jack. Majority of the travelers died. Plus Jack didn't have any family.

The other one was the men saying there was no record of Jack Dawson on the Titanic and Rose even said that there wouldn't be and then she said the above statement. Of course there wouldn't be a record of him on the boat. He won the ticket in a poker hand so the ticket would of been in some one else's name.

April
Old 08-13-2017, 02:37 PM
Elite Fan

^ Never heard that theory before but it negates a lot of what happened in the movie. Like you said, there wouldn't be a record of him because the ticket wasn't in his name. And from the genealogy my mom is working on, it's hard to find records of people in that time period. Sometimes they didn't use their full names and misspelled things, etc.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes my mom is working on hers and once you get back a few great grandparents it's very hard to find ancestors or even tell if it's the same ones.

April
Old 08-15-2017, 04:19 PM
Elite Fan

He was also poor so it would be harder to find a record of him.

[x]
Old 08-15-2017, 09:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That too. And seems like he was a traveler. He didn't just stay in one place. So records would be hard to find.

April
Reply   Post New Thread