Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2018, 03:33 PM
Elite Fan

What went wrong with GMW anyway? I only saw a handful of episodes and didn't want to watch when I heard how they cut down the Shawn/Angela relationship/history.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:39 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

Yeah, they brought everyone else back with some dignity but Angela (which I saw coming back when it was airing) From what I remember, they had Angela say she was married but what was really bs was them saying Shawn was only with and loved Angela cause he wanted what Cory and Topanga had even though during BMW they both recognized they couldn't be them and were just going to be themselves. So they completely rewrote their history so they could rush him marrying Kathy, even though before and after they got quickie married, they never showed them together. GMW was so kiddy and I didn't like it much, doesn't even compare to BMW so I didn't mind when it got cancelled. It's not canon to me at all, I wish Shawn and Angela got a better ending.

Last edited by Butterfly85; 07-04-2018 at 08:49 PM
Old 07-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think they wanted to show that not everyone ends up with their high school sweetheart, even years down the line. It made sense for Cory and Topanga since the whole show was their love story. But not necessarily for Shawn and Angela.

I think they wanted to have Shawn be happy. So by marrying Maya's mother, it was pretty quick but it allowed him to be around. And keep it all in the family since Shawn was a honorary Matthews.

I loved seeing the new chapter, the knowledge that Cory and Topanga were still happy... and with children, and love the idea from "girl" point of view.

But the show should never have been on Disney. It should have been on Freeform. So they could do some of the stories they did on Boy Meets World but from a new generation point of view.

Oh well. I liked knowing that Cory and Topanga had their little family and were happy. I just wished to have seen more Riley's story.
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Old 07-04-2018, 08:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

Them having Shawn say that is BS. Were they really writing the same show we were watching? Shawn clearly loved Angela for Angela, hence when she left him when Topanga left Cory, he tried so hard to get her back. Unlike with all of his exes who he just went out with who he never had such a connection with. He could've had a "connection" like Cory and Topanga with any of those girls, but he had a true connection with Angela. You don't make up a connection like those two had. I call BS with what those writers did in GMW. I haven't even watched it but I know what happened and just no. B-freaking-S. Talk about screwed up retconning.

As far as I am concerned, GMW didn't happen. Cory and Topanga still have their kids and Cory is a teacher and Topanga a lawyer like she moved for. And Shawn and Angela found their way back to each other and got married and had their own cute little baby girl and boy. I always imagined they would have twins, one of each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper1975 (View Post)
I think they wanted to show that not everyone ends up with their high school sweetheart, even years down the line. It made sense for Cory and Topanga since the whole show was their love story. But not necessarily for Shawn and Angela.

I think they wanted to have Shawn be happy.
If that's what they wanted they could've easily done that without having Shawn say he loved Angela because he thought her was supposed to. That's BS and clearly shows that that isn't what the writers were going for at all. They just wanted Maya to have a dad figure so they screwed over Shawn and Angela to make it work out.

They had actually said they never saw Shawn being truly happy. I guess this works out because with out Angela, I highly doubt he'll ever be 100% happy. He was only put with Maya's mother so Maya could have a father.

Sorry this became a lot.... I just get heated over this so much.

{taek su mi sun}
Old 07-05-2018, 07:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper1975 (View Post)

I think they wanted to have Shawn be happy. So by marrying Maya's mother, it was pretty quick but it allowed him to be around. And keep it all in the family since Shawn was a honorary Matthews.

I loved seeing the new chapter, the knowledge that Cory and Topanga were still happy... and with children, and love the idea from "girl" point of view.

But the show should never have been on Disney. It should have been on Freeform. So they could do some of the stories they did on Boy Meets World but from a new generation point of view.

Oh well. I liked knowing that Cory and Topanga had their little family and were happy. I just wished to have seen more Riley's story.
I loved Girl Meets World too. I watched originally for the old cast, but quickly started caring about the new cast as well. I wished it hadn't gotten cancelled.
I am an original”
Old 07-05-2018, 08:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Now I feel like I'm the only one who wasn't upset over Shawn and Angela. I never took it as them rewriting BMW history. I was never a huge fan of them.

I liked him and Maya's mom. They were sweet.

April
Old 07-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk On You (View Post)
Now I feel like I'm the only one who wasn't upset over Shawn and Angela. I never took it as them rewriting BMW history. I was never a huge fan of them.

I liked him and Maya's mom. They were sweet.
You weren't the only one. While I liked Shawn and Angela, I liked Shawn and Katy too. I always feel in the minority as well.
I am an original”
Old 07-06-2018, 10:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I thought it made more sense for Shawn and Angela not to end up together. Yes they had something special and a real connect. They really did love each other. But sometimes no matter how much you love someone you grow apart. You want different things out of life, or your life just takes you in different directions. I believe Angela taught Shawn how to love.

April
Old 07-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

The beauty of us all having our own opinions is that we're able to agree to disagree. But I do get what you mean though.

{taek su mi sun}
Old 07-11-2018, 01:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I thought it made more sense for Shawn and Angela not to end up together. Yes they had something special and a real connect. They really did love each other. But sometimes no matter how much you love someone you grow apart. You want different things out of life, or your life just takes you in different directions. I believe Angela taught Shawn how to love.
I completely understand how you feel! I felt that way too. It's not that I did not love Shawn and Angela, because I did, I truly did, but I understand why they had them end up with other people.
I am an original”
Old 07-11-2018, 03:36 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

Personally, I could understand Shawn and Angela not ending up together. However, the way they wrote it was insulting and forced. Like I said, first they rewrote what happened on BMW by saying Shawn was only with Angela cause he wanted what Cory and Topanga had (and that was the main thing they instantly nipped in the butt on BMW when they first got together) Then they had him quickly marry some woman he only had one or two scenes with lmao. Might as well had him marry Angela, or at least build up their relationship before marrying them off. They could of did better but as usual, they crap on IR couples the most on TV. That was the problem.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:37 PM
Elite Fan

If they really wanted to go for something different, they could've just had Shawn remain single. Not everyone gets married and has a family and that's okay too. I liked Shawn/Angela but would've been okay with them not ending up together, it was left open ended on BMW. I just don't like that they had to diminish her importance to his life by what they did on GMW. From what I read here at least.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:32 PM
Moderator Support Team

Old 07-13-2018, 08:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Agreed. Given all Shawn's baggage from childhood. It made sense that while Angela was truly a love for Shawn, and maybe the one who got away. It made sense unlike Cory and Topanga, that they weren't able to make it work. In college, Shawn was in no place to settle down that young despite his love for Angela.

Angela also had issues while not as overt as Shawn's. Still... They split at the end of the show, and it made sense that in the years to come they didn't come together again.

Shawn enjoyed his life... on the road, doing his own thing. Staying close to the Matthews, and being a honorary Matthews. But not ready to settle down.

Of course by connecting Shawn to the Girl Meets World world, and Maya's mother... it made sense for the show... to keep him around. And yet tie him to the Maya who he had a connection to...

To me, it made sense Angela found a life for herself, and settled down with someone else.

Quote:
If they really wanted to go for something different, they could've just had Shawn remain single. Not everyone gets married and has a family and that's okay too. I liked Shawn/Angela but would've been okay with them not ending up together, it was left open ended on BMW. I just don't like that they had to diminish her importance to his life by what they did on GMW. From what I read here at least.
Truthfully I forget how they wrote Angela into GMW. I remember her meeting up with Shawn, but forget how they wrote it...

Well Shawn did stay single for a lot of years. It doesn't sound like he settle down with anyone, or anyone came close to getting his heart after Angela. So that meant Angela meant something to him.

I don't think he had a overwhelming love for Maya's mother Katy... like Cory and Topanga shared with each other, so many years later. I think both were in a place in life where the wanted to settle down, and found a companion in each other. Love, but not true love.

In some ways Angela might have been the soulmate but not the one who you always settle down with at the end.

Given Shawn's history. It was remarkable he did have something special with Angela, but they weren't in the place in their lives for it to ever lead to something like it did for Cory and Topanga.

I think he always wanted to be able to have what Cory had... But all his baggage just didn't allow it for the longest time, and that got in the way with Angela.

I don't think the show was discounting Angela in Shawn's life. But it made sense they just didn't have the ability to get over that hurdle to a final commitment.

What Cory and Topanga shared...was pretty rare.
True love began to flourish among the challenges
October 6, 1999 began a incredible journey - Max and Liz forever!
Old 07-13-2018, 04:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
What Cory and Topanga shared...was pretty rare.

Yes!

April
Closed Thread   Post New Thread