Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirubreezy (View Post)
A kiss for sweeps, particularly February sweeps which has an air-date on Thursday February 14, 2012. Nothin' particularly special about that day.

ETA : Sex is so endgame.
Seems like a perfectly good randomly selected day to me!

Old 12-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Obsessed Fan

And it might be COUGH a certain couples, COUGH date night on that day. Wow, I think I have a cold.

Sex is end game I have no doubts whatsoever.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Elite Fan

I for one would be EXTREMELY upset if the writer's didn't take advantage of having Valentine's Day on a Thursday this year. And I don't mean even JUST for Shamy. There had darn well better be a Valentine's Day episode! I mean, these things only come along every 6 years or so (factoring in Leap years)
Old 12-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Extreme Fan

Chloe, dear....I think you've come down with Shamycitis. Its a chronic illness you know.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:42 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyrani (View Post)
He dressed unlike him also for the date in 6x1. Maybe S/A had a date or something when Amy got sick and Sheldon found out when he went to her apartment to meet her.
Yep. I still think he looks quite hot and sweet there at the same time.
Maybe Amy would like him to dress like that more often, who knows. I would
Old 12-01-2012, 04:19 PM
New Fan

Here us good quality for next weeks episode: Mayim Bialik interview on the late late night show with Craig Ferguson - YouTube

It starts at :28
Old 12-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Obsessed Fan

I think we'd all like some Sheldon eye candy once in awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirubreezy (View Post)
Chloe, dear....I think you've come down with Shamycitis. Its a chronic illness you know.
Is there a cure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musickat18 (View Post)
I for one would be EXTREMELY upset if the writer's didn't take advantage of having Valentine's Day on a Thursday this year. And I don't mean even JUST for Shamy. There had darn well better be a Valentine's Day episode! I mean, these things only come along every 6 years or so (factoring in Leap years)
So would I. THEY HAVE TO!
Old 12-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbangsheldon (View Post)
Is there a cure?
No cure! And I agree about the Sheldon iCandy that's coming up. He looks amazing in that grey button down. How jealous of Amy can I be right now?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musickat18 (View Post)
I would also like them to take advantage of Valentine's Day. They haven't done anything with it in quite awhile. I'm usually not the sort who cares about them hitting particular milestones or holidays, because I really enjoy episodes that center on simple things, very every day things, such as a battle over a parking spot, rather than "special" episodes that center around a holiday or something. That said, TBBT has always been delightful with holiday episodes, such as the Christmas episodes or the one Valentine's episode that they did do a few seasons ago.

I wonder if Sheldon will try to take his "special gal" to go see a brutal murder, now that he has one. If I were Amy, and Sheldon was planning something for Valentine's Day, I would definitely brace myself for whatever was coming, as I would foresee either a brutal murder, something with trains, making bread, or something completely offbeat and unexpected in my near future.

In any case, I caught something from the family for Thanksgiving (can't wait to see what they give me for Christmas!), so I have been reading everyone's amazing posts, but I haven't had the energy to contribute and I don't think I have much of the energy now to go track down every quote and post that gave me shivers of delight to read. Nevertheless, I do want to note that the commentary and insight has been just amazing, as usual, and it's been a joy to read, and it all makes sense, and I completely agree. Don't stop, and please pass me some mixed nuts.

To recap what I DO remember:

I love the points, which I believe started with Mari, that Amy and Sheldon were acting as partners in crime, and Amy was standing behind Sheldon even if he was behaving irrationally. One thing I'd like to add to that point is that it bonds couples when they do things together that raise their um....I don't know the technical term, all the cotton in my sinuses is packed straight up into my brain....ah...blah. Um, but when couples do things together that are dangerous, or have the element of a thrill to them, it helps bond the couple as they go through this experience together. Something about the heightened emotions of doing something a little risqué together that brings a couple together on an even deeper level. So I love the fact that Amy and Sheldon shared this daring adventure, because being in partnership and getting their heart rate a little elevated, not to mention whatever Amy did in the back seat of her car, definitely would have brought them closer, and given them a feeling of going through things together, in unison, and made their trust and loyalty to one another even deeper.

Meg, who goes around blowing my mind, as usual, which is just one of the myriad reasons why I LOVE HER, gave us a really insightful analysis of just WHY THE HELL Sheldon was so protective of his parking spot. The idea that Sheldon actually holds onto, deep down, this idea of himself as a different sort of man than he currently is, just both breaks my heart and makes so much sense. It really broadens your understanding of him, and it also makes sense as to why he's in this relationship with Amy and why he's working so hard at it. It goes back to everything about the pilot, and Sheldon latching onto the comment about the "kind of man he wants to be," indicating that he has goals for himself, and a vision of himself that's evolved and different and better than the man he currently lives as. The idea that there's a man inside of Sheldon, a man he sees inside of himself and knows he hasn't quite made a reality yet, is such an exciting thought, because for the most part we're sold the idea that Sheldon hates change, doesn't want to change, and is very arrogant and thinks of himself as perfect just as he is. To have more proof, such as how well he knows a parking place at the university which is actually completely useless to him at present time, is more evidence that Sheldon still sees a different part of himself which he can "grow up into." We all know that Sheldon is very ambitious, and that he's set himself the goal of winning the Noble Prize one day. But is that his only ambition? Is that the only thing he ever dreams of or fantasizes about? I think we know it's not, but other than some of his fantasies based on science fiction, we don't know precisely what Sheldon fantasizes about as far as things which can actually be achieved in reality by him as a man.

It reminds me of the writers saying that Sheldon is capable of more than we know, even, sometimes, more than they know when they sit down to start writing something. I have to agree with them - I think that Sheldon's development, with going to college at age 11 and earning a PhD by age 16, meant that he grew up and matured as far as intellect and academics at an amazing and brilliant rate. However, when one thing becomes so dominant, you expect a sort of imbalance in another area, because if you are maximizing one thing, you must be minimizing something else, and with Sheldon that's been his emotional growth, and "growing up" as an adult who can drive, who can take himself to get his hair cut, who can go shopping for himself, who doesn't need Leonard and Penny to take care of him half the time, and who still requires his mother to be brought in when things go beyond what his friends can handle. It is very interesting to me that we have not seen Mrs. Cooper since she put Amy and Sheldon back together - ever since they decided to reaffirm their relationship and start dating, Sheldon hasn't made any messes or gone off the deep end in any respect where it's been necessary for Mary Cooper to come into town and fix him and set him back on the right course. While Sheldon has been facing down the hurdles of being in a romantic relationship, those hurdles are definitely maturing him in some respects.

Not to mention that Sheldon is actually doing things to take care of himself, emotionally, with his hacky sack playing. Instead of turning to Leonard, Penny, Amy, his mother, or creating some crisis to force people to take care of him while he deals with something emotional that he can't handle, he's pulling himself into private time and finding a way to cope with any overwhelming and difficult emotions on his own. Which is huge - so huge. Such amazing growth for him.

Which corresponds to what Lauren was talking about, where Sheldon didn't run away from Amy in the back seat of the car when she did something that, let's face it, would certainly have had him running for the hills in shock and confusion even a few months ago. I love the idea that Sheldon keeps making these "excuses" for Amy's behavior so he doesn't quite have to deal with the reality of what she's doing. She hasn't fully embraced Star Wars or some of the science fiction stuff he loves? Well, she's hopped up on teabags. She took the Star Trek: TNG from him? She's got to be hooked on it based on his delivery of the opening scenes at her door. She's showing him her bikini wax in the back seat of her car? Well, she must have inhaled some paint fumes. It indicates that he's a little in denial about some of her true motives, but I think it makes his brain comfortable with what he can get it around, so that he can explore things curiously and at his own pace, and not have to freak out. Whatever he's doing to make things work in this regard, I have no problem with him continuing to use it as long as he needs it, because while he's definitely growing up, I think there's still a lot he can't quite handle without hitting an intolerable level of his anxiety, no matter how much he's placing his trust in Amy, and allowing the release of that control to also release a certain amount of anxiety with it.

But this is how Sheldon is slowly growing - the more trust he can put in Amy, and the more control he gives her, the further down his anxiety levels go, and the more he's able to inch along forward.

Last edited by Lionne; 12-01-2012 at 06:06 PM
Old 12-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Dedicated Fan

Well, since Meg, Lio and LAUREN (who it's always nice to see when she comes around) already said everything, I guess I should just go home.

But I won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionne (View Post)
No cure! And I agree about the Sheldon iCandy that's coming up. He looks amazing in that grey button down. How jealous of Amy can I be right now?!
Fiiiiine. And, honestly, I'm such a Jim/Todd shipper I often can't call it up to crush on Jim, but that ensemble sent me over the edge.

Quote:
I would also like them to take advantage of Valentine's Day. They haven't done anything with it in quite awhile. I'm usually not the sort who cares about them hitting particular milestones or holidays, because I really enjoy episodes that center on simple things, very every day things, such as a battle over a parking spot, rather than "special" episodes that center around a holiday or something. That said, TBBT has always been delightful with holiday episodes, such as the Christmas episodes or the one Valentine's episode that they did do a few seasons ago.
Honestly, I need someone to jog my memory on the V-Day ep, but it would seem like a missed opportunity this year.

Quote:
I love the points, which I believe started with Mari, that Amy and Sheldon were acting as partners in crime, and Amy was standing behind Sheldon even if he was behaving irrationally. One thing I'd like to add to that point is that it bonds couples when they do things together that raise their um....I don't know the technical term, all the cotton in my sinuses is packed straight up into my brain....ah...blah. Um, but when couples do things together that are dangerous, or have the element of a thrill to them, it helps bond the couple as they go through this experience together. Something about the heightened emotions of doing something a little risqué together that brings a couple together on an even deeper level. So I love the fact that Amy and Sheldon shared this daring adventure, because being in partnership and getting their heart rate a little elevated, not to mention whatever Amy did in the back seat of her car, definitely would have brought them closer, and given them a feeling of going through things together, in unison, and made their trust and loyalty to one another even deeper.
Like I think Kiru said, there was an ease in which they played that scene. He didn't hand Amy the paint and stencils like she was doing him a favor, she was 100% in. It may seem like he was being presumptuous when he said "Leave your car here," and there is an argument for that, but he was utterly confident that she was committed to the mission. And she was, even when her car got towed, her anger was directed to Bernadette, not Sheldon.

Quote:
Meg, who goes around blowing my mind, as usual, which is just one of the myriad reasons why I LOVE HER, gave us a really insightful analysis of just WHY THE HELL Sheldon was so protective of his parking spot. The idea that Sheldon actually holds onto, deep down, this idea of himself as a different sort of man than he currently is, just both breaks my heart and makes so much sense. It really broadens your understanding of him, and it also makes sense as to why he's in this relationship with Amy and why he's working so hard at it. It goes back to everything about the pilot, and Sheldon latching onto the comment about the "kind of man he wants to be," indicating that he has goals for himself, and a vision of himself that's evolved and different and better than the man he currently lives as. The idea that there's a man inside of Sheldon, a man he sees inside of himself and knows he hasn't quite made a reality yet, is such an exciting thought, because for the most part we're sold the idea that Sheldon hates change, doesn't want to change, and is very arrogant and thinks of himself as perfect just as he is. To have more proof, such as how well he knows a parking place at the university which is actually completely useless to him at present time, is more evidence that Sheldon still sees a different part of himself which he can "grow up into." We all know that Sheldon is very ambitious, and that he's set himself the goal of winning the Noble Prize one day. But is that his only ambition? Is that the only thing he ever dreams of or fantasizes about? I think we know it's not, but other than some of his fantasies based on science fiction, we don't know precisely what Sheldon fantasizes about as far as things which can actually be achieved in reality by him as a man.
This is gold. Sheldon is not a very self-reflective person, so when he is pensive and reflective, its that much more poignant. And Amy makes him reassess and get honest about who he is. She that's deep under his skin.

Quote:
Which corresponds to what Lauren was talking about, where Sheldon didn't run away from Amy in the back seat of the car when she did something that, let's face it, would certainly have had him running for the hills in shock and confusion even a few months ago. I love the idea that Sheldon keeps making these "excuses" for Amy's behavior so he doesn't quite have to deal with the reality of what she's doing. She hasn't fully embraced Star Wars or some of the science fiction stuff he loves? Well, she's hopped up on teabags. She took the Star Trek: TNG from him? She's got to be hooked on it based on his delivery of the opening scenes at her door. She's showing him her bikini wax in the back seat of her car? Well, she must have inhaled some paint fumes. It indicates that he's a little in denial about some of her true motives, but I think it makes his brain comfortable with what he can get it around, so that he can explore things curiously and at his own pace, and not have to freak out. Whatever he's doing to make things work in this regard, I have no problem with him continuing to use it as long as he needs it, because while he's definitely growing up, I think there's still a lot he can't quite handle without hitting an intolerable level of his anxiety, no matter how much he's placing his trust in Amy, and allowing the release of that control to also release a certain amount of anxiety with it.
All very, very true. I think you said that TPTB are trying to tell us that the only way Amy and Sheldon aren't intimate is sexually (a perfect foil for Lenny) and that is the crux of it. Going back to my broken record theme, Amy really believes in Sheldon. While others say "he's asexual" she says, "when we do make love..." When Penny says "Do you think you can ever have marriage and all that with Sheldon?" she answers, "I'm on a four-year plan." When others say he's a whackadoodle who's one lab accident away from being a supervillian, she says "he's the best boyfriend" and "a genius." When other's say "Just do whatever he says, he's crazy," she says "You will apologize," "you will tell me something meaningful," "you will treat me better." She's openly proud of him, expects great things from him and (again) believes in him. And he responds to that belief in ways that shocks even him, and (as you all beautifully pointed out) he's shocked to find his feet aren't running. He's sticking around. And, instead of attributing this phenomena to his growing trust, intimacy and attraction to Amy, he attributes it to things he can wrap his mind around, "paint fumes," "hopped up on tea," etc...

Quote:
But this is how Sheldon is slowly growing - the more trust he can put in Amy, and the more control he gives her, the further down his anxiety levels go, and the more he's able to inch along forward.
And this, my dear, is why Shamy is a love story for the ages. Round up every corny cliche you ever did hear about love "saving" somebody, "redeeming" somebody, "maturing" somebody, etc... and APPLY THEM HERE! It warms the cockles of my heart (whatever they are).

Icon taken from Off Duty by ~MrsSpock

Last edited by xmarisolx; 12-01-2012 at 11:13 PM
Old 12-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Supreme Fan

Y'all need to be professional writers when you can have novel size posts like these.

☆Krys ☆
Old 12-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmarisolx (View Post)
All very, very true. I think you said that TPTB are trying to tell us that the only way Amy and Sheldon aren't intimate is sexually (a perfect foil for Lenny) and that is the crux of it. Going back to my broken record theme, Amy really believes in Sheldon. While others say "he's asexual" she says, "when we do make love..." When Penny says "Do you think you can ever have marriage and all that with Sheldon?" she answers, "I'm on a four-year plan." When others say he's a whackadoodle who's one lab accident away from being a supervillian, she says "he's the best boyfriend" and "a genius." When other's say "Just do whatever he says, he's crazy," she says "You will apologize," "you will tell me something meaningful," "you will treat me better." She's openly proud of him, expects great things from him and (again) believes in him.
A few weeks ago I said "Can I date Sheldon?" in regards to his very real effort to make Amy happy and become a better man. And to this I say "Any man would be beyond lucky to have a woman like Amy!" I tell you, underneath all the quirks, these two people are awesome, (shocker to anyone here I'm sure. ) and, more importantly, they are phenomenal as a couple. Simply Amazing! Gold stars to the both of them! And might I remind everyone that these are two are novices at relationships.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Addicted Fan

Momma Lio, Mari, Rae... Those were beautiful. What had me in tears is the fact that Amy does not put up with Sheldon the way his friends do. She treats him like a man, not a man-child but a man. He is her man, and she is (like what we've heard before) his woman. They bring out the best of each other for the benefit of them both. It's so sweet. *sniff*

Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Addicted Fan

Momma Lio, Mari, Rae... Those were beautiful. What had me in tears is the fact that Amy does not put up with Sheldon the way his friends do. She treats him like a man, not a man-child but a man. He is her man, and she is (like what we've heard before) his woman. They bring out the best of each other for the benefit of them both. It's so sweet. *sniff*

Old 12-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyanjel (View Post)

Totally agree! I can't even say more because they are perfect for each other.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:09 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Honestly, I need someone to jog my memory on the V-Day ep, but it would seem like a missed opportunity this year.
It must have been in season 3, because it's back from when Leonard and Penny were dating the first time around. Leonard was going to get to go see the Hadron Supercollider over Valentine's Day, and he was going to take Penny. However, apparently there was a clause in the Roommate Agreement that stated that Leonard was obligated to take Sheldon, and Sheldon fought with all of his muster to get to go.

Eventually, Sheldon managed to wear Penny down, and when she said she would talk to Leonard on Sheldon's behalf, our favorite wackadoodle gave her a hug. The morning that Leonard is supposed to go, Penny is sick. So he goes to tell Sheldon he can come - but Sheldon is also sick. Leonard ends up taking Raj, and Sheldon and Penny end up at home on the couch, sick.

Quote:
All very, very true. I think you said that TPTB are trying to tell us that the only way Amy and Sheldon aren't intimate is sexually (a perfect foil for Lenny) and that is the crux of it. Going back to my broken record theme, Amy really believes in Sheldon. While others say "he's asexual" she says, "when we do make love..." When Penny says "Do you think you can ever have marriage and all that with Sheldon?" she answers, "I'm on a four-year plan." When others say he's a whackadoodle who's one lab accident away from being a supervillian, she says "he's the best boyfriend" and "a genius." When other's say "Just do whatever he says, he's crazy," she says "You will apologize," "you will tell me something meaningful," "you will treat me better." She's openly proud of him, expects great things from him and (again) believes in him. And he responds to that belief in ways that shocks even him, and (as you all beautifully pointed out) he's shocked to find his feet aren't running. He's sticking around. And, instead of attributing this phenomena to his growing trust, intimacy and attraction to Amy, he attributes it to things he can wrap his mind around, "paint fumes," "hopped up on tea," etc...

And this, my dear, is why Shamy is a love story for the ages. Round up every corny cliche you ever did hear about love "saving" somebody, "redeeming" somebody, "maturing" somebody, etc... and APPLY THEM HERE! It warms the cockles of my heart (whatever they are).
All of that is completely swoon-worthy. I also like that Amy raises the bar for Sheldon, and she does so successfully. While Leonard and the others "knuckle under" for Sheldon, and they expressly went through a period of encouraging Penny to do so as well, Amy does not "knuckle under" for Sheldon. Ever.

She's the only person whom Sheldon doesn't try to railroad into doing so anymore - in a way because he simply can't and he's come to realize that. She doesn't give him that option, she expects him to operate at the level of being a grown up, and when she puts her foot down and demands he act at the level that's appropriate, he actually makes the decision to rise to meet her there time after time. He will give her a sincere apology, he will make a heart felt statement on their anniversary, he will hunt her down in the movie theater and ask her to be his girlfriend. No matter that when he does all of these things you can see the petulant child who is gritting his teeth to get the words out, and he literally has to force himself to rise to the occasion - but he does it for one reason and one reason only: to hold onto her.

It's not necessarily Amy who makes him act like a grown up, it's the depth of his feelings for her that he simply can't betray, even though a very powerful part of him would obviously prefer to do so. A part of him never wanted a girlfriend, and would never want to let the world know he cared that much, especially for a girl. However, when it came to the fact he was losing that girl, Sheldon's desire for her overcame his ego. Which means that the part of him which cares about her and wants to the relationship is more powerful than the part of him which is selfish and arrogant and egotistical, which I think is the part that makes me a little weak at the knees every time. We know precisely how egotistical Sheldon can be, he's like a towering pillar of demanding, selfish behavior. However, there's another side of him that's even stronger than that, a side more compelling than that narcissistic ego which he always projects outwardly, and whenever we see that side of him win the battle, that side which only Amy seems to bring out in him consistently, it's a thrill each and every time.

'Cause that's love, baby. You just can't deny it.