Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2016, 01:46 PM
Elite Fan

The Cheesecake Factory (OT) #74: Because X-Philes are excited about the return of The X-Files

Old 01-26-2016, 01:55 PM
Master Fan

thanks for opening - and yes we are

~Susanne ~
Old 01-26-2016, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Fan

Tftnt!
Old 01-26-2016, 02:10 PM
Master Fan

TFTNT! I'm enjoying the title, even though I don't particularly care about the X-Files.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:19 PM
Master Fan

TFTNT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical Elf (View Post)
TFTNT! I'm enjoying the title, even though I don't particularly care about the X-Files.
Same for me
I remember when the series was first aired, everybody was talking about it and it was everywhere, but I hadn't watched it. And I have to admit, I still didn't do it
~Laurence~
Old 01-26-2016, 02:36 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsgood (View Post)
TFTNT

Same for me
I remember when the series was first aired, everybody was talking about it and it was everywhere, but I hadn't watched it. And I have to admit, I still didn't do it
Yeah, there was a huge buzz about it, but it was ages before I actually watched it to see what all the fuss was about. It was alright, but I never really got into it.

Good to see everyone here so excited about it, though.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT! I approve of the OP.

I just started watching The X Files three months ago or so...the reason I started was because obviously I'm so involved in fandom, and my degree is in history. So considering this show did so much for fandom and shipping and establishing internet concepts that are so normalized to us today, I felt like I wasn't living up to my degree and one of my biggest passions having not seen it. That may be a very weird reason to start a show, but that's me.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:43 PM
Elite Fan

I literally learned just today that the term "Shipping" originated with the X-Files.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Fan

I wonder who came up with the term though
Old 01-26-2016, 04:03 PM
Elite Fan

From TXF Board:

Heidi said this:
Quote:
A lot of people believe the term started with two factions of X-Files fans - The Shippers, who believed Mulder and Scully were destined to be romantically involved, and the NoRomos, fans who were completely against any romantic relationship between the two.
And then Susanne linked to the wikipedia page that had this to say:
Quote:
The actual term "shipping" was originated in the mid-1990s by internet fans of the TV show The X-Files, who believed the two main characters, Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, should be or were engaged in a romantic relationship. They called themselves "relationshippers," at first; then R'shipper, 'shipper, and finally just shipper.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:04 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyBerry (View Post)
I wonder who came up with the term though
The X files fandom was the first fandom who met online and they created the whole wording

Quote:
The actual term "shipping" was originated in the mid-1990s by internet fans of the TV show The X-Files, who believed the two main characters, Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, should be or were engaged in a romantic relationship. They called themselves "relationshippers," at first; then R'shipper, 'shipper, and finally just shipper.

Source

Heidi can probably tell you more about it because if I remember correctly she was a member of the first Usenet groups.

Edit
lol, Rae posted the same

~Susanne ~
Old 01-26-2016, 04:05 PM
Elite Fan

Haha! Jinx Susanne!
Old 01-26-2016, 04:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT!

Usenet - those were the days! Y'all are making me feel ancient.

By the time I got into the fandom, which was Season 5, the term Shipper was pretty well established. So was slash - although that goes even further back to the original Star Trek, and fanzines that were published on mimeograph machines or Xerox copiers and sold in dealer rooms at Sci-Fi conventions.

We also pretty much had the first shipper wars - mostly between the shippers and the no-romos. There were sites that were pretty much restricted to just one or the other, although the group I belonged to managed to mix without coming to blows. There were some X-Philes that were big supporters of ships other than M&S. Mulder/Krycek was a big slash ship, and a lot of folks liked the idea of M&M - Mulder/Marita (Marita Covarrubias).

~Heidi
Old 01-26-2016, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Fan

Oh wow! Behold the power of internet fans
Old 01-26-2016, 04:38 PM
Elite Fan

Mulder/Krycek

I actually just recently explained both the noun(s) and verb forms of "Ship" to a friend.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread