Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2004, 04:21 AM
Addicted Fan

Funny you should mention getting drunk on cough lollies Danie, coz I am medicated up to my eyeballs at the moment, trying to beat the flu, and I swear I am 3 sheets to the wind already. This cough syrup I am using is strong stuff, and of course I don't read the dosage, just chug it down til I feel better....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

*stumbles out*
Old 06-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Extreme Fan

As I'm from a family of 'castiron' stomachs that can tollerate a HUGE amount of alcohol in one sitting, it was a tad hard to give up the beer...

Speaking of... here's something I received today: (this is good for you Sarz... )

I am passing this on to you because it has definitely worked for me...and as we start summer we all could use a little calm. By following the simple advice I read in an article, I have finally found inner peace. The article read: "The way to achieve inner peace is to finish all the things you've started"

So I looked around the house to see all the things I started and hadn't finished....and before leaving the house this morning I finished off a bottle of red wine, a bottle of white wine, the Bailey's, Kahlua and WildTurkey, the Prozac, some valium, some cheesecake,and a box of chocolates. You have no idea how freakin good I feel....

You may pass this on to those you feel are in need of Inner Peace

Old 06-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Passionate Fan

Danie: Inner Peace eh!!!

Of course The Bloke Doesn't Have Big Ears! And of course he has to make sure that we are aware of that fact. Guys, eh!

And answers to questions:

1. 16... I was a slow starter.
2. 16... I started several things about the same time. Also learned that when some one says that they have a bottle of home made peach wine that they lifted from their parents... that saying no probably would have been the better choice.
Note that after much trial and error I figured out that I can't hold my liquor. One drink and I am tipsy. Two drinks and I am drunk. Three drinks I am totally embarrassly completely plastered. Giggle. Have only had more the two drinks in an evening a handful of times over the last few decades.
3. 18... on my birthday of course. And of course with the wrong guy. Sigh.

As for art students some times being very stupid. Giggle. Yep... I also know about that whatever. Okay... I will admit that I did tap dance through several studios one time with a friend... while we were singing "I Got Talent I Got Rythym."

But sticking blu-tac on JB's head is totally WRONG!!! But there often is an artsy fartsy One Must Be Cool At All Costs whatever that goes down in art school. I used to get constantly harrassed because of my collection of sci fi novels. Giggle.

sarzy: Hope that you are feeling better sweetie.

The video and the pics of you as Rizzo are locked away??? BUT I WANT TO SEE THEM!

I am proud of you that you sang that song correctly. Artistic integrity is very important.

ML: Good that your move went well.
Thank you for posting the article on Ironing Board and the stuff about Chris Carmack. Interesting that he is a serious theatre guy. He does look much better looking when he isn't smiling.

I also love Camelot. And love the film The Lion In Winter.

Vicki: Thank you for sharing Myah's story about Jason seguing into Valley Boy Mode! Giggle! Yes... Jason can tell us to "Shut Up" any time that he wants to.

Podmom: My high school was so into classical music that not only were the musicals always Gilbert & Sullivan operettas... but the school also had a full orchestra complete with violins, woodwinds and brass, etc. So even if they had put on Bye Bye Birdie... I probably wouldn't have had a chance... because a lot of students had transferred from other school districts especially because of the music program. But I did get to sing madrigals and stuff like that in choir.

I have done kareoke a few times and it is great fun! Also spent a lot of my teenaged years sitting around various campfires singing folk songs. Even have a guitar... which I play very badly... but it's handy to have around for people who can play it.

And there must be pics out there of you as a Podgirl. You just need to find some copies of high school yearbooks or back issues of town newspapers and stuff like that. Lots of times libraries have back issues of newpapers on micro film... and I have a feeling that at least some pics of you in various parades and fashion shows made it into the newspaper.

LTL: I have never gone out with a Capricorn guy. But maybe I should have. Have dated a couple of Virgos, a Scorpio, a Taurus and at least one Pisces. But will freely admit that most of the guys who I have gone out with over the years have been about 5'-10" with a slim athletic build, definite bone structure in their faces and tend to have an air of poetic mystery about them. I am very consistant in my taste in men.

Maggie
Old 06-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Elite Fan

Oh girls.....what a time for me to be drowning in motherhood....this is an interesting thread .......Like I said on the Os the whole graduation thing and all the faldaral is taking up all the time I usually waste so comfortably here! SO carry on beautifully like you are....I read ALL your stuff....you lively girls

I hope you're feeling better Sarz ..you poor little lumpkin tell your mother she litterally worked you to death!

Oh I miss you guys!!.......Somehow..someway it's Kareokee with all of us!!!

I'm keeping an eye on the #s ....I'll try to make sure I at least do that

ML,Maggie,Sarz,Dannie,Jero,Vicki and all the usual missing suspects!
Old 06-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Addicted Fan

I. am. dying.

I am the worst sick person in the history of sick people. My mother has worked me to bone and now see what's happened? I have the flu. The really good kind, with the snot and the headache and the dizziness etc. *helfhearted* Woooh....

The good news is I have given it to several work mates and 2 of my best friends. Lucky buggers.

You are all what keeps me going, being sick and stuck at home is so boring, (Oprah is on repeats and Dr. Phil keeps telling me to 'Get Real'.) so this Board is my one tru source of entertainment!

Thank Jason for JOFs!

*staggers off to die in the corner*
Old 06-09-2004, 05:57 AM
Master Fan

Poddy Maggie reminded me that you mentioned wanting to do karaoke in NYC - Me too! Couldn't find anybody to do it though. Next time, girl, we will go out and sing!

Sorry RLS is keeping you away, but graduation is a pretty big milestone. Congrats to your graduate!

G-d willing, I will have a graduation of my own next May - MLette finishing college. Woo!

Maggie Gilbert & Sullivan is cool. My school didn't put that on, but I went to some productions they staged at M.I.T. (Trivia for the day: Groucho Marx was a fanatical fan of Gilbert & Sullivan.)

I did a lot of choir stuff - chapel choir (for money, on Sundays), chorus, and an acapella group too. I joined a Jewish music chorus before MLette came along, did that for a year or so, but haven't done much with music since. I need to get back to it! LA LA LA! I would like to serenade Mr. B!

My poor little sick sarzy! :silver_hand: - Get well soon! MLette came down with a rotten cold last week also and has been snorking and snuffling and using up boxes of tissues.

Well - so much for the quiet new office! They are having a noisy meeting in the conference room nearby this morning, and workmen are on the roof outside my window, installing ventilation ductwork, hammering on metal, drilling into my wall, etc! LOL! Oh well - at least they are relatively cute and wearing shirts with the sleeves cut off. Poor guys, it's due to be 95 today! Not a day to be on the roof. It was 50 yesterday morning! This weather yoyoing up and down could kill a person (or make Sarzy ill!)

Cough lollys - you guys in Oz have the cutest names for everything!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-09-2004, 09:20 PM
Extreme Fan

ML, so what would you call 'cough lollies'? There must be a term for them in the US, but I find you guys call things by their brand name... it took me forever to figure out what 'xerox' was! It's photocoping here, plain and simple! Mind you I grew up with a 'Hoover' aka vacuum cleaner! Go figure.

Maggie, you're so NOT slow! Trust me! And yes, blu-tacing JB's head was only the start of it... my whole class was turning 18 and I was the old fart of 21... those few years seemed like generations at the end of my degree.

Poddy, I've missed you... I need my Leo co-hort at all times!

Sarz... you are such a caring friend! I love sharing the common colds and flu... you know that sharing is caring... Just eat more Tim Tams and you'll be right!

LTL, hey honey!!!
Old 06-10-2004, 05:55 AM
Master Fan

If cough lollies are the little round candies you suck on when you have a cold or sore throat, we call them 'cough drops.' (Lollies usually come on a stick, as in lollypops, in the US. Sore throat stuff on a stick sounds like an excellent new product, though! LOL! ). Yes, Hoover made quite an impact on the UK, people say "I'm going to hoover the carpets" or whatever. giggle. Well, we also usually call tissues 'Kleenex' no matter what brand it actually is. And in some parts of the South, they call every kind of soda 'Coke' no matter what they serve you, which I would find very confusing! The variety of names of what people call soda is fascinating - soda, tonic, pop. Also names for those long sandwiches - subs, grinders, hoagies (Pennsylvania), Italian sandwiches (Maine) - I'm sure there are more! LOL! I love love love words and language and regional expressions! Although I wonder with all the TV and the chain restaurants, etc, those things are dying out?

LOL, that concludes Mrs Language Person's lecture for this morning!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Extreme Fan

OK... Australian English

Barbie - not the doll, but a barbeque
Tinny - a boat or a can of beer
Mate - someone you like, not someone you 'mate' with
Icypole - non-icecream on a stick
Lolly - anything that you suck on, like your candy
Bum - not a street person, but your bottom
Footy - Australian Football, Rugby League (unless you live in Melbourne, then it's just rugby)
Tea - your dinner or the drink
Bloke - male
Sheila - female

I can think of any more at the moment as I'm pressed for time (I'm leaving the state in a while)!

Tissues are tissues here, vacuum cleaners and vacuum cleaners! But Coke is Coke and Pepsi is Pepsi!

Strange hey? Don't even get me started on the English terms that I use at home as Mum is a pom!

See ya JOFs on Sunday!
Old 06-10-2004, 09:09 PM
Passionate Fan

Podmom: Hi sweetie!

I am carrying on as per your instructions!

Congratulations to your Graduate!

And of course we expect a full report of the Graduation Faldaral as soon as said faldaral settles down.

We are definitely going to have to do some Kareoke the next time that we get together.

sarzy: [[[[HUGS]]]]

Hope that you feel better soon sweetie.

Are we going to have to send Dr Behr around to your place to give you a thorough check up?

ML: As a Canadian... I call a soda a "soft drink." Call a Coke a Coke and a Pepsi a Pepsi. And a sub and sub. But call a janitor a caretaker. Kleenex is kleenex though and a xerox is a copy. That calling stuff by brand names whatever also happens in French. In Quebec type French a camera isn't an "appareil de photo" but a kodak.

Danie: Have a great time on your vacation!

And well some times I am slow. And some times I am fast. Giggle. A sort of ex-not-quite-boyfriend-type-guy once described me as having two speeds.... fast and stop.

And sounds like we should have switched art schools. I was constantly getting flack for being the youngest person in the class. When I graduated the professors were actually concerned that I was "too young" to get a BFA(Hons) at age 21... and informed me that I was the youngest person for several decades to get the degree and that the average age of graduates was apparently 26. Yep... they kept statistics. They kept on saying that I would know more about art if I was more mature. And I kept on saying... "but I can paint." I actually had one prof tell me that the main fault with my work was that painting was "too facile" for me. Which made me go.... HUHHHH!!!

But also will admit that I was a brat. Giggle. Used to do 6'-0" x 4'-0" paintings that mainly consisted of blue dots. With some red and pink dots thrown in for contrast value. And when asked what the paintings meant... would reply that they were about blue dots.

And I also got flack because of my looks. First day that I walked into a painting studio, the prof loudly declared: "Who let the f**king debutante in here?" To sounds of laughter from the other students. But to give him credit... after a couple of weeks he announced to the whole class that "the f**king debutant can paint."

I figure that probably one of the main things that I learned while in art school was how to deal with bs... between the group crits and the profs having different agendas and the various infighting between different factions of the faculty and the cliquey stuff that went down amongst the students. But not withstanding the high bs factor... I still had a great time in art school. Especially going for coffee. Which was one of my main areas of expertise. Also was quite good at playing poker.

And I have to repeat! Blu-tacking JB's head was totally WRONG! Artistic type people should want to draw Jason, or have him model for a painting, or take some photographs of him.

It would be lovely to have Jason pose for a drawing... even a sketch... because his face is so expressive and I just love the way light plays over his bone structure. And then there are his eyes.

Maggie
Old 06-11-2004, 01:09 AM
Addicted Fan

Oh I'm freeeeeee, freeeeee falllliiinnnnnnnn!!!!

I'm high as a kite on cough lolly/drop thingies, feelin no pain, my taste buds have gone on permanent hiatus and at last the rivers of snot have dried up--Woooooooohhhhhhh!

On the downside, I have developed a reaction to the penicillin I'm on, and broken out in big red itchy HIVES! Very attractive I can tell you!

Anyhoo, we've hit the grand old age of 250 posts, so I'm closing this sucker down, my lovelies!

Thanks and to all for your kind get well soonies!

See ya'll on the new thread!