Elite Fan

Love that!
Old 05-24-2022, 04:07 PM
Master Fan

Reread Diary of Anne Frank with kids
Old 05-28-2022, 11:02 PM
Elite Fan

Ah - i've not read it for years.

Have you been to the house in Amsterdam?
Old 05-29-2022, 04:51 PM
Master Fan

I have not, but we did do the virtual reality tour
Old 05-31-2022, 04:34 AM
Elite Fan

Ah that's cool...

I am in a real reading funk! Any light, unlifting books to recommend?
Old 06-05-2022, 02:36 PM
Master Fan

Nothing yet……
I just reread God’s Debris…..a thought experiment
Old 06-07-2022, 05:29 PM
Elite Fan

I read Ann Franks Diary when I was her age.... traumatizing but so painfully wonderful....thank goodness it was preserved. I don't think I would be able to go through their hiding place podad has been there though. He had a work thing in Amsterdam and went to see it. When I was in Germany I was the only one in the tour group that didn't go into the concentration camp. I Knew it would haunt me forever.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:34 PM
Master Fan

My older daughter wants to read 30 books this summer! First day today and she’s half way through first book
Old 06-12-2022, 05:18 AM
Elite Fan

Oh that's impressive - good luck to her JJ!

Reading a book called Breathless about a group climbing a mountain and there's someone seemingly trying to kill someone....or is the person just hallunicating due to altitude etc...it's a fun read!

Podmom i've never been to a concentration but I do want to (you know what I mean).
Old 06-19-2022, 12:44 PM
Master Fan

My daughter is five books down!!! I’ve only read one …I just finished reading The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Old 07-07-2022, 08:22 PM
Master Fan

JJ your daughter is a reading champ! 'Hitchiker's Guide' is such a fun book.

I had a friend who visited a concentration camp and she bought me/sent me a souvenir! I was totally creeped out/sort of offended, although I know she meant well by it.

Mr ML and I would have gone to Amsterdam (and the Anne Frank House) on that big transatlantic cruise we signed up for, for July 2019, that got cancelled by Covid. Now I doubt if we'll go anywhere..

I'm reading the second 'Auntie Poldi' story, written by a German-Sicilian man, Mario Giordano. I guess he's a big writer in Germany, but this series about his fictional German aunt going to live in Sicily (an Auntie Mame type big character and amateur detective) was such a hit, it was translated into English and a big seller. He's written 3 or 4 stories so far. It's very quirky and has made me laugh in spots.

I did get some 'serious' (non cozy mystery) books - short stories by Zora Neale Hurston, and a book by the psychiatrist Oliver Sachs who wrote 'The Man who Mistook His Wife for a Hat' but it's essays about stuff, his last book before he passed away.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 07-08-2022, 06:18 AM
Master Fan

Those books sound interesting Myrnalynne !!

Update on my older daughter…..she’s up to 14 books!!, We even asked the librarian in our local library for suggestions for her age since she was running out of things to read…..(how do you run out of books? I am a Sci fi lover and she does not like Sci fi so I needed someone with mysteries and crime expertise to point out what was appropriate for an 11 year old )

BTW I didn’t know a concentration camp would have souvenirs??? Very odd in any case….
Old 07-14-2022, 04:33 PM
Master Fan

Wow, JJ your daughter is cruising along with the books. I have no idea what people are reading at 11. I read all the James Bond books when I was a bit too young to read them - I remember being very shocked at some parts (I think Bond undid some woman's bikini top... ahem). Mr ML gets these scifi/fantasy books that are like 6-inches thick and just zooms through them so fast.

I'm trying Alexander McCall Smith's new series about a Swedish detective (Ulf Varg) in a special division for 'sensitive crimes.' I finished the first book, and have the second one. I don't think I'll love it like his African Lady Detective books, but these are definitely something different. Like Mme Ramotswe, there is a lot of pondering and thinking about things, and companions who say humorous/annoying things (oh, and a few crimes/mysteries).

I didn't like his series about the Scottish woman who edited a philosophy magazine; thought I might, as I was working on a medical magazine at the time, but I didn't like what happened (or didn't happen) in some of those stories.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 07-21-2022, 06:35 PM
Master Fan

That is impressive Mr ML can zoom though the thick books! I always get stuck in the real thick ones…
I’d love to start reading the Wheel of Time books…..maybe someday I’ll have time….
Closed Thread   Post New Thread