Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Elite Fan

Hello, Goodbye (3.04) Episode Discussion Thread

Episode Description
Coach Taylor and Smash say goodbye. Tyra begins dating Cash while Julie comforts Matt during hard family times.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:53 PM
MST Manager

I'll top this for you guys.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks, Ha for the thread and Nikki for topping it s

Aw, that is Smash's last episode

Smoak & Arrow
Sally | | |
Poupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

New episode!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Smash's last episode, so sad
Old 02-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

Gaius's commentary on the episode.

Quote:
'Friday Night Lights': Gaius Charles blogs last night's show!

Feb 7, 2009, 01:00 AM | by Gaius Charles

Categories: 'Friday Night Lights', Television

Smashwilliams3_lOver the last three seasons, there are few times that I can remember where I was and what I was doing the first time I read an episode of Friday Night Lights. The ones I can remember are somewhat random: Episode 104, "Who's your Daddy," August 7, 2006 (these dates are approximate so don't get all "Smoking Gun" on me). I was sitting in my car, outside a coffee shop in Austin and blasting my AC as I battled a 100-plus degree wave (welcome to Texas). Episode 201: "Last Days of Summer," July 16, 2007. I was lounging in my hotel room at the Beverly Hilton in L.A. (trying to resist the mini bar), and getting ready for NBC's TCA convention later that evening.

But I'll never forget where I was when I read episode 304, "Hello, Goodbye." August 5th 2008. I remember coming home after getting some grub on another record hot day, which by now I had actually gotten used to. As I came up the stairs, I saw a package on my doorstep watching me, waiting for me...though I had also been waiting on it.

It was pretty easy to fall back into the rhythm of filming the show. I quickly reacquainted myself with the sights and sounds of Austin/Dillion and our outstanding cast and crew...but it was all of course all bittersweet. For as early as July, the announcement had been made that "the Smash" would only be around for a limited engagement. So from the beginning of season 3, there was always a lovingly sentimental vibe that trailed me on set.

Now the only question was, how would it occur? Jason Katims, our brilliant head writer, had given me some bullet points as to the overall arc of the four episodes, but he was keeping the details air tight. Now here's a little TV production "inside baseball." The crew of the show always gets a production draft of any given script ahead of the actors. And if you got a friend on the other side of the line, they'll keep you informed in the gap as to what's coming down the pipe. We had already started shooting episodes 1 and 2 of the new season and my sources were telling me I should be getting episode 3 any day.

As I picked up the package in my doorstep that night, I found that not only did I get episode 3, but I also got the long awaited, much anticipated episode 4 -- the final chapter in Brian's saga. I remember literally sitting on the edge of my seat reading those episodes into the wee hours of the night. I flew through episode 3, but when I picked up 4 I remember pausing for a moment -- wondering if I should read it now or save it for the morning. I decided to go ahead and push the plunger, reading each page on that episode unusually carefully. I was like a kid reading his favorite bedtime story to himself for the first time -- who instinctively knew the plot and characters but savoring each letter on the page. And then I saw the last words of the script "Goodbye Smash Williams." I stared at those words for a long time, and then all I could whisper was "Amen."

As the next few weeks played out, I was hit with some genuine flashbacks from high school. Did you ever mull over that corny subtext at the end of a school year or just before graduation? "This is the last time I'm gonna use my locker." "This is the last time I'm gonna eat lunch in the cafeteria." "This is the last time I'm gonna see my friends together." Well, those moments started to take their place, but for most part there was no sign of sappiness.

Shooting the last scene at the Williams' house stands out in my mind. I remember laughing it up with my TV family -- Corrina Williams (played by the incomparable Liz Mikel, a legend to the fans) and my two sisters (Brittany "Nieko" Mann and Whitney McCauley) -- as we recapped all the anecdotes and bloopers that took place while bringing our family's journey to life.

In fact, it really didn't hit me at all until I filmed my final scene with Kyle Chandler. Of course, it didn't hurt that we filmed it on my final day on set and it was the last setup of the night. I remember sitting in my trailer, trying figure out: What exactly should I play? How much should I play it? All that "actor stuff" that goes out the window when you realize life has given you everything needed to capture the truth of those vulnerable moments.

Ever since the show premiered on Direct TV last year, I have tried to find the words to sum up how I've felt about having the opportunity to portray Smash Williams. And now that it has premiered on NBC, I find myself stumped once again. Blessed, honored, grateful, humbled, that's a start. In fact, the only tough thing about having to say goodbye to the show (at least as a regular) is having to say goodbye over and over again, lol. But maybe that's just a sign that my experience as Smash will live on in the heart and minds of us all for a very, very long time. So where was I when I ended my run as a series regular on Friday Night Lights? Only at the beginning....

Oh yeah, one more thing, "Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. CAN'T LOSE!!"
'Friday Night Lights': Gaius Charles blogs last night's show! | PopWatch Blog | EW.com

Smoak & Arrow
Sally | | |
Poupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread