Passionate Fan

Interesting!

Thanks a lot for the article wickedrum!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzed (View Post)
Feeling the same way Wendy! (deja vu )
Seriously, I really like this character so far - she's brought a very interesting dimension to the new series. Also very interesting to see how relatively absent Harry's been these last few episodes except for saying Dex should leave Deb alone..

Harry doesn't seem to act as a moral guide so much anymore at the moment, he's more there for survival instincts it seems, both for Dex as well as Deb. Now obviously Dex discarded the code last series so it's interesting to see this character that seems to walk the fine line between where Dex was at at the end of S7 and before, i.e. the code but without the 'moral' restriction or judgement - at least she clearly stated this herself a couple of times which is what got her into trouble..

I find it interesting because indeed I remember Harry mentioning the 'don't get caught' rule from early on - yet he and Dex did form their own moral blend of it as well.
I definitely think Vogel has her own agenda, and she clearly has many preconceived notions of Dex. Some may be spot on but many clearly aren't. Not sure if she's simplified her idea of 'serial killers' as a type to a degree to keep her distance from them, not empathize, not feel involved. She's clearly stating feeling very involved with Dex from day one due to the process in which she helped develop the code.. Yet is it really Dex she knows or just her glorified notion of him as a 'perfect' serial killer..??

Somehow her notions kind of have a slight air of superiority, almost like the 'übermensch', in a way. 'We need people like you' etc but in a very rationalized way. She does however also simplify and romantisize it to a degree that will pose a threat - to her and likely to Deb and Dex, sooner rather than later I think.

Still, I really like/am intrigued by the character and all the contradictions inside her as well as in what she evokes. Very well done so far to Charlotte, for being the embodiment of this!
We often have similar thoughts with this show

I'm wondering if Vogel will start to believe that she got Dexter wrong. After all she never met him until now and went along with her own thoughts on how serial killers and psychopaths behave. She's never known one to love others the way Dexter does for his son and for Debra. Is Dexter's love selfish? She believes Deb's love is selfless, but his isn't the case. At the end of last season Dexter gave up and told Debra to shoot him. Was he serious in this moment, was it a selfless act of love on his part to let Deb end it all, or was it a ploy, knowing that Deb wouldn't be able to kill him?

I too think Vogel brings a very interesting story arc to the season and I'm looking forward to how it all plays out.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PheonixofKobol (View Post)
We often have similar thoughts with this show

I'm wondering if Vogel will start to believe that she got Dexter wrong. After all she never met him until now and went along with her own thoughts on how serial killers and psychopaths behave. She's never known one to love others the way Dexter does for his son and for Debra.
True. She's definitely recognized and mentioned the 'discrepancies' so no doubt she picked up on them. The question is, will she keep seeing them as 'irregularities' as Dex grew up differently from any other psychopath/serial killer she's known so far..? In other words, to where does the code extend in her opinion and of course the eternal nature/nurture debate among scientists especially of the social sciences..

I think she's fought this more than she should have, objectively. She's definitely far more involved than any 'objectively studying' scientist would be - not just because of their past but probably more interestingly and to the point, the contradictions she is now seeing in Dex she didn't anticipate in spite of the (Moral?? Though that seemed to be Harry's notion more than hers really...) code...

It's this using yet also studying thing that is pushing things to the edge really especially with Deb being so fragile and Dex being un-hinged because of it too. A very dangerous and explosive mix.. Very interesting though too.

Quote:
Is Dexter's love selfish? She believes Deb's love is selfless, but his isn't the case. At the end of last season Dexter gave up and told Debra to shoot him. Was he serious in this moment, was it a selfless act of love on his part to let Deb end it all, or was it a ploy, knowing that Deb wouldn't be able to kill him?

I too think Vogel brings a very interesting story arc to the season and I'm looking forward to how it all plays out.
Well I guess that brings us to one of life's fundamental questions.. Is there such a thing as unselfish (or unconditional?) love..?
I don't think there is.. Even in family relations we always expect to be loved in return and if need be, the result of it i.e. that person not turning against us, understanding us regardless of our flaws.. Now yes, ok, that might be a bit harder in case your brother is a serial killer.. But ironically of course Dex never really anticipated this in Deb because it is so far from his reality, his world, his emotions... In a way they are closer now than ever before in terms of facts, yet worlds apart in terms of emotions and understanding each other.. They definitely still relate though on a level that is way more basic than this, and might work through the other stuff though to be honest it's hard to see how at the moment, and yes Deb's always been this way so how could she turn her back on this completely really?...

I'm very intrigued to see what will happen next for sure and what part Vogel will have in it.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

she's still creepy, but she might just turn out to be this sad old woman who would do anything for her son. I wouldnt blame her for that.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Obsessed Fan

What did you think about Vogel's influence in season 8?

She became another important person to Dexter, yet another one be was unable to save. Was Vogel wasted on the show at the end, should she have played a bigger part, or ger character go in a different direction?
Old 10-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I never liked her, so I didn't mind her going early
Old 10-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Addicted Fan

^ Who likes aging? Nobody does!
Old 10-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Obsessed Fan

Hehe aint that the truth. I wouldn't have even recognised her
Old 10-16-2013, 01:26 PM