Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2021, 12:17 PM
New Fan

What demographic do ABC soap operas attract?

I am not into soap opera nor do I know people who watch "soap opera" but I am curious.

I heard back in the early 2010s shows on ABC like "Once Upon A Time" had viewerships past 10 million viewers in America alone.

I was under the impression that the average viewer of an ABC show are people from the suburbs in their 30s that thought HBO was too "graphic" for them. Is that just a preconceived notion or is there some truth to that?

Back in 2015 there was this show called "Astronaut Wives Club".

There is this show on Apple TV called "For All Mankind" and like the astronaut wives club it included a lot of "soap opera".

But unlike the Astronaut Wives Club it also included a lot of exciting space sequences.

And not just men but women joining in the great adventure. This is an alternate history where the Russians manage to land on the Moon first.

Not only that but they also land the first woman on the Moon causing NASA to recruit women astronauts much earlier than our timeline.

The Astronaut Wives Club premiered in 2015 on ABC to more than 5 million US viewers and dropped to little below 4 million by it's last episode but later in 2015 Syfy aired it's brand new big budget space opera "The Expanse" that only got a little more than 1 million viewers.

Would something like Apple TV's "For All Mankind" appeal to a wider audience than "The Expanse" since it did not have any overly weird sci fi concepts?

Would it be possible for a soap opera to attract some male viewers by including action and adventure or would that alienate the female demographic?

What would the female demographic think of the female characters joining in on the adventure?

It would have tied perfectly with the release of "The Martian".
CmdrShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread