Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casandra

I think I've just gottan completely jaded by these constant repeat winners over and over again. Kim and Tony have what, 9 Emmy's between them? I just don't feel like they are the primo of daytime those many times. JMO though.
I gotta disagree about Kim Zimmer. There is a reason why she keeps getting Emmys and why she won over Susan Flannery this year. She submitted scenes where you wanted to smack Reva yet at the same time, understood where she was coming from. That woman is a phenomenal actress and GL had better work their a--es off to keep her around.

David Lago's win was definitely memorable. I keep hearing how shocked the people in showbiz who were so sure that Tom Pelphrey was going to take it were when Lago was announced the winner. What made it even worse was his "Catch Me If You Can" speech about the mice...he just sounded so smug and bitter..and happy to rub it in Y&R execs' faces that even though he got fired, he still won the Emmy. I'm pretty sure most people were thinking WTF at that moment. I can see where the guy was coming from but sometimes, it's better to show some class.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:56 AM
Loyal Fan

The thing about Kim Zimmer's win though, is that aside from the fact that she deserved it, even though she has 4 she really hasn't been "winning" all the time. She's been nominated for the past 4 or 5 years but the last time Kim won the award was in 1990. She left the for at least 4 or 5 years in the 90's and since she'd been back on GL this was her first win. If anything Flannery is the one who's been winning for the last three years and Erika Slezak also STILL has more than either Susan Flannery or Kim Zimmer. So I'm really confused by the "always winning" because Kim won this year, considering it has been 16 years since her last win.

As for Lago's speech it was just pathetic. The guy was bitter and angry (and I still HAVE NO clue why he won that award) and just made an incredible a*s of himself. Didn't matter because he was still fired and without a job and as witnessed by the previous post, many still don't care enough to even remember him.

I used to watch GH but got sick of the tired-redundant mob crap so whether or not they deserve it, I'm still pi*sed they won. Although seriously I saw all the episodes submitted by the shows and I really do honestly think Y&R deserved the award. Then again I thought Natalia Livingstone sucks and didn't deserve that Emmy last year and I'm still trying to figure out who they bribe to get Scott Clifton nominated (incidentally he's probably wondering the same thing, since he basically admitted in an interview that his character did nothing the past year). Seriously in all, I just think this year's show was WAY better than last year's travesty. All the acting awards were well-deserved.

"There is nothing as tragic as being alive and not enjoying life." J. Meyer
turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Absolute Fan

See, I'm of the side who think that just because an actor has won an Emmy several times, it doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to win more in the future. That's just not fair! So what if both Tony and Kim have won numerous Emmy's between them. They earned it and they deserve it. A lot of people seem to think that they're just winning because they've won in the past and that they shouldn't be nominated anymore. That's just crazy to me. If an actor/actress is good enough to be nominated however many times then more power to them! And the thing about Tony Geary is that the man can do anything! Action, drama, comedy, romance...you name it and he can do it! I mean, God, did you see his Emmy reel this year? Holy crap the man had me in sobs!

To me, the Lead Actor and Lead Actress categories are meant for those veterans. And nothing against Kelly Monaco, but I realllly do not see how the woman made it into Lead Actress. She's been in the soap world for what, 5 years? And she gets nominated over Nancy Lee Graun? There's something up with that. To me, she hasn't earned that Lead Actress title yet. Supporting? Maybe, but not Lead. And even if Nancy didn't have a spectacular year (which she soooo did), there are numerous other actresses on GH that I would have picked over Kelly Monaco who deserve that title over her! Uh, Jane Elliot for starters? And if they would give Leslie Charlston a decent freakin' storyline she'd rock the house as well! I just think the whole nomination process of this is a joke.

And while I'm no huge fan of Emily/Natalia, the year that she won I think she deserved it. Wasn't that the year of Emily's rape if I'm not mistaken?

twoods - Yeah, I read about the whole late night situation with Natalia's dress a little while ago. But still, the way I heard it, it was because Natalia wanted something different the night before and Becky had to pull an all-nighter to make it, but that may not be true because I've heard several other things. All I know is that if it was because Natalia wanted something different the night before the event, that would just be wrong.
TrishaLyn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Elite Fan

I don't really understand the 'earned' stuff.

It's not about tenure, age, or how long you've been in a medium; it's about the role you're playing. If you're getting lead airtime, if you're playing a lead character, you should be submitting and, if your reel is deemed good enough, nominated in the lead category.

GH has basically solidified the Sam, Carly, and Emily characters as leads (at least airtime-wise) and realizing that, Kelly, instead of submitting as supporting and taking the opportunity away from someone like the pre-nommed Becky, stepped up and submitted in lead. Her reel showed a lot of variety (all of which she nailed very, very well, IMO) and the committee liked it enough for her to get in, but not enough for her to win.

I don't see the problem, outside of maybe someone just not liking her acting and not thinking her work deserved recognition. Which is more than completely fine -- it still doesn't, however, make the actual process a joke.
-Bianca- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Loyal Fan

I didn't really have a problem with Kelly being nominated, but I just don't think that someone being able to cry all the time makes them worthy of winning. I honestly think Kelly's a good actress, great even, but lead actress-Emmy worthy? Not so much.

I mean, look at Jennifer Ferrin. She had a top storyline on ATWT where she was a lead and she was only nominated for supporting. But all she did was cry as well. Jennifer Landon was nominated and was in the same storyline and I thought she was so much more deserving of her Emmy than Jennifer would have been.

And like I said, I don't think it's fair at all to say that just because someone has four or five Emmys means they should "let" others win them. If they deserve them, as Kim and Tony most definitely did, then yeah, I think it's wonderful that they were honoured. Same with Erika and Susan. I don't think it matters how many times someone wins.

Erin Silver|Jessica Stroup
Icon: Jessica-Stroup.net
onepapergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread