Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Elite Fan

what accent did she have. :O
Old 12-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Loyal Fan

(1) Why isn't she booted? (2) Why her name?

(1) Why is "Sketch" still at Roundview College at the end of Skins s2? Why wasn't she been booted after it became evident to everyone that she had falsely and maliciously accused a teacher of molesting her sexually? And that she had given drugs to the female lead of a school play in order to steal her role? And that she had ruined that play by slapping the male lead, rather conspicuously off-script?

In the USA, this girl would be in a juvenile detention center so fast it would make one's head spin, and would stay there at least through the rest of the school year. Can one really get away with this sort of behavior in a state secondary school in England nowadays? Or is Sketch's continued presence at Roundview, like so much else in Skins ("first gen"), totally surreal, perhaps deliberately so?

(2) Why this character's uniquely odd name, "Sketch"? I've known Tonies and Effies and Maximilians and Michelles and Sydneys and Christophers and Cassandras and Jalandras, but never have I met, never have I even heard or read of, anyone named "Sketch." Have you? If not, might we safely assume that the name is deliberately symbolic or allusive? But of what, or to what?

It could be that a sketch is rough, unfinished, not polished. As applied to this girl, that would be an understatement.

Perhaps it's more that a sketch is an illustration. What, then, does this character illustrate? I rather think she's in the drama to keep Tony Stonem's flaws in perspective, to illustrate that kids can be a lot worse, can abuse sex and drugs and hurt people a lot worse, than Tony would ever have dreamed of doing.

Without Sketch, Tony (before-the-bus) would be morally the worst kid in the drama, wouldn't he? That's fine and dandy (to steal a phrase) during series 1, when Tony doesn't really deserve much sympathy from anyone, including viewers. But during series 2, when Tony is repenting and mending his ways, a character who makes it easier for everyone, including viewers, to forgive him, may be useful. So a hideously flawed character gets introduced in the second episode of series 2. At least, that's how I see this character's role.

Last edited by Finnegan; 12-26-2011 at 11:16 AM
Old 12-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Total Fan

From Urban dictionary

Quote:
Sketchy

1) someone or something that just isnt right.
3) something unsafe
4) someone or something that gives off a bad feeling
This could be another meaning of her name, I think it describes her character very well.

As for why she is still at Roundview I have no idea, at the very least she would've been expelled. What she did was far worse than what Chris ever did when he was expelled. However I think she remained there out of convenience and as you mentioned because Skins is very surreal. Maybe she was serving the purpose of reminding people that there are some worse than Tony, so she had to stick around.

Or prehaps it was due to the story with Maxxie, he couldn't escape her, after everything she did, and she never moved on.

Last edited by HP-Skins; 12-26-2011 at 03:03 PM
Old 12-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Total Fan

When I heard her name the first thing i thought was "Ah, perfect!" It sited her character so well. She was, indeed, very sketchy.

I think she got to stay because no one really wanted to delve in to the past situation. The play director probably didn't bother reporting it up, and since she was a minor they let it slide. As for what she did to Maxxie and Chelle, they obviously let those slide for as long as they stay away from her/ she stays away from them.

Whether we see each other next week, next month, never again, it doesn't matter. It's only time.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:02 AM
Loyal Fan

Lisa (HP-Skins),

Thanks for the Urban Dictionary reference, which plainly provides the core reference for the character's name. Much as I use that source (because English street-speak is more foreign to me than several foreign languages), I sometimes don't recognize even when I should be using it. "Sketchy" is a word I'm only dimly aware of having heard before; I'd forgotten it existed.

That said, I still suspect the chief dramatic purpose of the character is to foster sympathy for Tony be illustrating that there are worse flaws than his.

Thanks, too, for the assurance that, in reality, a 17-year-old girl in an English state school would at least be expelled for falsely and maliciously accusing a teacher of sexual molestation. I see from your profile that you're from the UK, so that's comforting. Perhaps I've been reading too much Theodore Dalrymple.

And from that, yes, I'd tentatively infer that Sketch's continued presence at Roundview after Osama: The musical is rather surreal.

By the way, that musical was so perfectly saccharinely hideous -- downright "sketchy." Just the sort of gentle cultural nudging that we Yanks need from time to time. Nice to see the Beeb still doing it well.

Last edited by Finnegan; 12-27-2011 at 05:14 AM
Old 12-27-2011, 05:13 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan (View Post)
illustrating that there are worse flaws than his.
Not to me. I hated Stonem and couldn't understand what his appeal was. Then again,i'm a person with an abrasive exterior manner who is actually a warm human being at heart. I feel many are the opposite,warm and inviting on the surface,but coldhearted and selfish,possibly even sociopathic within. :shrugs:

Dakota Blue Richards. MyBliss Interview.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Total Fan

I think even without Sketch's existence, Tony's character was sympathetic. At least for me, i loved Tony even during his season 1. He depicts a personality that in reality, draws the kind of audience Skins targeted: you love him or you hate him, you'd still watch his every move. He's captivating and evil--- a controlled danger that gives people a spike of thrill. But then his entire world turns around, and his world is minimized to the people that he cares about (which apparently existed because he didn't seem to care for anyone before). This is when we see what's within him, what he could have been if only his "alpha dog" persona was never there.

Sketch on the other hand... you can like or or not like her but as a character, I find her twistedly interesting. The lengths she took to get the unrealistic thing she wanted: to be with Maxxie. I found her story very enticing, because of her background. he was invisible, she never had that normal young life like the gang did. And for her it was so unfair that all she asked was this one thing, and she couldn't get it. And for that moment she decided she'll go any lengths to take it. There was no reasoning with her. Was she clinically insane? Or did she really just happen to be hypnotized by her teenage fantasies? It's up to the viewers to decide. But the pain in her eyes when Anwar and Maxxie took of was so raw. I doubt anyone else other than Aimee could have captured that as the portrayer.

Whether we see each other next week, next month, never again, it doesn't matter. It's only time.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:16 AM
Master Fan

Aimee was so good in Luther last season.I hope she will stay around on that show,it's one of my favourite.

Icon
Old 03-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Master Fan

Sketch!!

isn't that what kids say when they're doing bad **** and the police show up and er'body gotta run?

love this girl!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Addicted Fan

you're thinking of split
Old 03-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Master Fan

In Ireland we say sketch
Old 09-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Master Fan

I'm still pissed they never explored her relationship with her mom more tbh

Old 04-05-2015, 11:20 PM
Addicted Fan

*Bumpity*

Im a little bit slow, but I saw BBC's "Luther" I have finally got to see Sketch / Aimee on the show

I thought the actress looked kind of like Emily/ Kathryn Prescott more, only to my delight to learn that she was Sketch

Oh and FWIW, the cinematography is stunning on BBC's "Luther"

Old 04-06-2015, 08:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

She's beautiful!
Old 04-06-2015, 11:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Have you already seen her on the show?

Nice to know she got a new show. What it's about?