Old 12-14-2022, 08:58 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Criminal Minds

Episode Discussion - 16x05: "Oedipus Wrecks" [Streams December 15, 2022]

16x05:
"Oedipus Wrecks"

Synopsis
A surprising connection forces Deputy Director Bailey to ask the BAU to take a case involving young D.C. socialites who are bitten by a sadistic UnSub. But when the case turns political, the BAU finds themselves in the crosshairs from a high-powered senator. The team is led to a second shipping container that’s rigged to blow.

Promo

Promotional Photos

Written By: Jayne Archer
Directed By: Sharat Raju

Last edited by jls2971; 12-16-2022 at 06:20 AM
jls2971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 03:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Dam you cliffhanger next episode is January 12 Explosions agents in danger contact lost .. JJ /Luke Sitting senators son is involved .. sharp teeth .
Old 12-17-2022, 08:34 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Criminal Minds

Pretty good episode.

Good and suspenseful cliffhanger, but let's be real, we know they aren't killing JJ and Luke. At most, they'll probably be injured, but unless they do a time jump between episodes 6 and 7, I can't imagine either them being seriously injured. Unless of course, they need a sidelined agent to make it harder for them to solve the case. In that case, that might be interesting, especially since JJ and Luke are the main "go in the field and take out the unsubs" agents.

Although Luke and JJ will most likely end up not dying, I mostly liked how the ending was done. I thought having the team watch was a nice touch. They watched everything unfold and could only watch in horror as their friends found a bomb and tried to run only to lose connection with them not knowing what happened. They're left wondering if they made it out okay, but also fearing the worst because the connection would probably only go out if something happened and we saw that they were just making it to the stairs when the connection was lost. I felt so bad for Prentiss. You could see she was distraught and desperately trying to get Luke and JJ to answer her, probably not wanting to believe something happened to them. Rossi and Tara's reactions were good too as they seemed to be in shock. Garcia looked very sad but I didn't find her "oh no" super believable. I feel like she would have been a bit more upset than a casual "oh no" with the possibility of her friends being blown up.

Kind of surprised Luke and JJ didn't immediately suspect it was a bomb when it started making sounds and lit up and had wires on it.

I'm curious what they'll do with Deputy Director Bailey after this. I really hope he doesn't throw the BAU under the bus because of what happened with Luke and JJ. They probably had him be in the end scene watching everything unfold for a reason though. It seemed like he was trying to lighten up on them a bit, especially since Prentiss asked if he had any directions, and he said no and seemed to just be watching what they were going to do while letting them have full control. I'm hoping he won't go against the BAU and will help them out. His call to let the senator's son go got the senator killed, so if he tries to throw Prentiss and the BAU under the bus, they could use that against him. But maybe since they helped him with this case and knew of his connection to the case, he'll try to help them now, and should their actions for the end of the episode come under attack he'll have their backs and either defend them or say everything was his call.

Liked how Rossi immediately sensed Bailey had a connection to the case and Prentiss profiled him when she questioned him.

Liked Prentiss interrogating Benjamin by pretending to be his mom. Bailey's face when was fixing her hair and undoing her buttons on her shirt was funny

Luckily Will does not have cancer. Unless he was lying about that. But since they made a point about being completely honest and straightforward with each other, I think that unfortunately the cliffhanger ending will cause issues with them. I hope not though. I'm sure they'll disagree but come to terms with each other. I feel like JJ could technically play it off as the "I love you" was a way of saying she was going into danger and since she only got his voicemail she didn't want to say too much since she wasn't actually directly talking to him. I just really hope this doesn't cause too much drama with them though.

I'll be a bit disappointed if Luke and JJ managed to get out unscathed, but won't be too surprised if they end up making it out in time and the connection was lost because of signals or wiring or whatever. Or it ends up not even being a bomb but something else and the connection was just lost because of signals and technical stuff. But since there was the whole side story with JJ and Will, I could see JJ being injured in some way so that they have more drama for JJ and Will. If there was a bomb that did go off, Luke should be injured too since he was closer to the bomb and was behind JJ. And Luke has never really been too physically injured. He walked away pretty much injured from the car crash caused by Scratch. Would be interesting to see Luke sidelined a bit since it hasn't really happened before.

I like Tyler and wonder what they will end up doing with him. I've seen theories that he may join the team or be a possible love interest for Garcia.
jls2971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread