Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 05:54 AM
Loyal Fan

Unusual book-related habits.

Over the years that I have been reading, I've realised that I have some pretty unusual habits when it comes to books and reading.

I always have to have at least one book waiting to be read as soon as I finish the one I'm reading. I would hate to finish a book and be in the mood to start another one, but have no book there ready to begin.

Sometimes when I'm reading, I like to flick through the pages I've already read with my fingers.

I always take a whole heap of books away with my when I go on holidays. More than I'll ever get to read on the holiday, just in case.

Whenever I go away on holiday, I take "Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban" with me. I don't know why. It's sort of like a comfort book, and since I don't like changes to my routine, I like reading it when I'm away because it reminds me of home.

Does anyone else have any unusual habits?

Reading Is Awesome!
Michael: Why me?
Mia: Because you saw me when I was invisible.
Stars_And_Sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Supreme Fan

I always read multiple books. During school I'll have one that I read at school, one that I read at home during the day, one I read at home at night, books for school...I think my maximum number was nine books at a time.

Whenever I travel somewhere I always take a book about another country. Like when I went to Europe the first time two years ago I took The Bourne Identity. It was cool for me to drive through the streets of a big city and come up with spy stories in my head. It was a lot of fun. I plan on doing that when I go to Ireland this summer as well.

I will normally flip through at some point to a middle page when I'm reading the begining of the book and will read a page or two right in the middle. I never read the end of the book, but for some reason I'll read the middle two or three pages.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Passionate Fan

In high school, I always had a book that I was reading at home and a book that I was reading in school. Since I'm in college now I can't really do that, but I usually read 2 books at a time.

I never, ever use bookmarks. I don't know why, but I never have. I don't even bend back page corners (oh, the horror!) I always end up flipping through the book trying to find the first unfamiliar page. This is strange, because I own, like, 6 cool bookmarks...
Gardenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Moderator Support Team

Before I go on a trip, I'd borrow a couple of books from the library. I'd read the first few pages of each to determine which ones are treasures and which ones are crap. Then, I'd bring 1 or 2 of the good ones on the trip. It's better to know for sure that the book I'm bringing to read on a trip is a good book instead of finding out it's crap while on the trip. Cuz then it'd be too late.
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:34 PM
New Fan

hi all! newbie here!
i can not read more than one literature book at one time , but when it comes to other subjects i prefer having 4 or 5 different sources. Oh and my bookmarks have to be related to the book i read. i even made one, cause i couldn't find anyone matching! and after my final exams (first of July) i intend to make bookmarks for my hollyday books. finaly, the most disturbing thing is that i can not enjoy a book i do not own.
sorry for mistakes but english is not my first language!
Old 06-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Moderator Support Team

A newbie! *squeezes newbie*

I have a bookmark thing too but I wouldn't make my own. I just like it to sorta match the book. For example, when reading Harry Potter, I'd use the bookmark where a troll is dressed up as a wizard holding a wand.
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Master Fan

I used to own bookmarks but I'd never used them. I use whatever is handy but I never dog ear pages.

I used to, when I was seriously involved in a book or was going to do some serious reading, take off my glasses and lie in bed and read.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

I like to save the receipts inside the book and sometimes even use the receipt as a bookmark. I like to know when I bought the book. But if the writting fades away I just through it out.

I hate, hate leaving off in the middle of a chapter. I have to read till the end of a chapter to feel complete.

I need a day or two before I start a new book because I feel I still have to digest the last one, even if I didn't like it very much. I have a fear if I read a new book to soon after finishing one then I'll get the stories confused, even if the story/genre are totally different. Only if it is a series, then I can start the next one right away.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Quest
hi all! newbie here!
i can not read more than one literature book at one time , but when it comes to other subjects i prefer having 4 or 5 different sources. Oh and my bookmarks have to be related to the book i read. i even made one, cause i couldn't find anyone matching! and after my final exams (first of July) i intend to make bookmarks for my hollyday books. finaly, the most disturbing thing is that i can not enjoy a book i do not own.
sorry for mistakes but english is not my first language!
I do the same thing. I have to buy a book to really enjoy it. It's more special to me to know that I'm the first one to read the words. I did get a few more books out of the library at my school because I worked there for a period every other day, but most of them were the newer books. I hate reading tattered books unless I'm the one that made them that way. You should see my copy of The Outsiders.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

Some great habits, here.

I hate leaving off in the middle of a chapter, too, BehrItAll

little_Quest Welcome, welcome.... That's actually cool about the bookmarks
Old 06-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Master Fan

Strange to hear that some of you only like books that you own, because I hate new books. Stiff and non musty.

Im addicted to the smell of dust and rotting pages. I love it when the pages are yellow and brittle so that I have to turn the pages carefully. I especially love it when classics are in this form, because then it helps the illusion of ye olden days.

I must always have something to eat when Ive settled down for a good long read. And since my position of choice when reading is on my belly on my bed, I get my books pretty dirty and food stained. Many times with chocolate. So I have two copies (most of the time bought used) of all my favourite comfort books. One to present to friends and loan, and the dirty one I keep for myself.
Amaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 02:58 AM
Addicted Fan

My favourite place to read is in the sun. ...Obviously can't read in the sun all the time (lol), but during the day, if I'm at home and reading, I'll either sit outside or near a window. I can't read long at night in bed...and the whole 'reading by the fire' thing doesn't work for me. I like reading in bright areas...lol
xallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 05:23 AM
LMS
Part-Time Fan

I always have to finish a book. Not matter how bad or boring I find a book, once I read the first couple of chapters, I have to finish it. If I find the book particularly tedious, I will read a bit, leave it for a month, and then read a bit more, but I will finish them.

I hate annotating books even school books. I cringe when I see people using highlighters or pens in their books. If I have to underline or write something in the book, I always use pencil.

I don't have a problem with reading used books, probably because I can't afford (with the amount of books I devour) to buy new books. However, I do love to get books when they are new. And I can't stand it when people damage their books. Even books that I have had for ages, that I have re-read a million times are in good condition

~If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you. Winnie-the-Pooh
LMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Master Fan

I also take a whole bunch of books with me when I go on vacation as well.

Icon by Periwinkles
froggiepopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:42 AM
New Fan

hi back!
currently i am studying for my test in microeconomics and sadly i don't have time to read st else.
another (bad) habbit of mine is that i have to analyse every clue or culture reference etc. oh and sometimes i fall in love with books only looking the editions. Seriously, i have problem ;-)
Reply   Post New Thread