Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Supreme Fan

May Book Club Nominations

Hello one and all,
It's that time of the month again. The first four nominations will be voted on. We have a list of past threads in the Card Catalog thread (which is a sticky at the top of the board) if you are curious about what books we've had in the past. Also, keep in mind that we don't do any books other than the first of the series. So if we've read book one of Vampire Academy (which we have) then you'll have to go over to the VA thread to talk about the other books (which you should) because we can't nominate them for book club Just a reminder and a shameless plug for boards for non-regs. So, let the nominations begin.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I am called Chapel . . .

For nearly six centuries I have roamed the night, a mortal man no longer. Would that I could undo the past -- when I entered the sanctuary of the Knights Templar to wrest from them the Holy Grail, only to discover the chalice I raised to my lips was not the sacred relic but a hellish cup of damnation. Now I shun the day and all things human, driven by an ungodly thirst. And yet...

Never have I known a maiden the like of Prudence Ryland, whose beauty and spirit awaken a heart I feared long cold and dead. But her young life is slipping away, and she also seeks the deliverance of the Grail -- unaware that the cost of her search could be her soul. I must help Prudence, for in six hundred years, no other woman has stirred my passions so. But dare I tender to my beloved that which she most desires -- the sensuous "gift" of forever that is both rapture and a curse: my immortal kiss?
Source
Old 04-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Obsessed Fan

I haven't read this yet, but I bought it because I was quite intrigued by the premise. I'm hoping to read it next once I'm done with the book I'm currently reading.

The Gargoyle
by Andrew Davidson

Quote:
An extraordinary debut novel of love that survives the fires of hell and transcends the boundaries of time.

The narrator of The Gargoyle is a very contemporary cynic, physically beautiful and sexually adept, who dwells in the moral vacuum that is modern life. As the book opens, he is driving along a dark road when he is distracted by what seems to be a flight of arrows. He crashes into a ravine and suffers horrible burns over much of his body. As he recovers in a burn ward, undergoing the tortures of the damned, he awaits the day when he can leave the hospital and commit carefully planned suicide—for he is now a monster in appearance as well as in soul.

A beautiful and compelling, but clearly unhinged, sculptress of gargoyles by the name of Marianne Engel appears at the foot of his bed and insists that they were once lovers in medieval Germany. In her telling, he was a badly injured mercenary and she was a nun and scribe in the famed monastery of Engelthal who nursed him back to health. As she spins their tale in Scheherazade fashion and relates equally mesmerizing stories of deathless love in Japan, Iceland, Italy, and England, he finds himself drawn back to life—and, finally, in love. He is released into Marianne's care and takes up residence in her huge stone house. But all is not well. For one thing, the pull of his past sins becomes ever more powerful as the morphine he is prescribed becomes ever more addictive. For another, Marianne receives word from God that she has only twenty-seven sculptures left to complete—and her time on earth will be finished.

Already an international literary sensation, The Gargoyle is an Inferno for our time. It will have you believing in the impossible.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I saw that book in the bookstore a bit ago the cover caught my attention
Old 04-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Both of those books sound really interesting.

I've not read this, but it sounded good:

Quote:
2008 Edgar Winning Novel Down River.

Everything that shaped him happened near that river….
Now its banks are filled with lies and greed, shame, and murder...

Starred Review. Hart surpasses his bestselling debut, The King of Lies (2006), with his richly atmospheric second novel, which offers a tighter plot, more adroit pacing and less angst. Five years earlier, Adam Chase was arrested for murder, largely on the basis of his stepmother's sworn testimony against him. He was acquitted, but nearly everyone, including his father, still thinks he did it, and Adam's deep bitterness has kept him away from home ever since. Now, at the request of a childhood friend, he's back in Salisbury, N.C., where all the old demons still reside and new troubles await. The almost Shakespearean snarl of family ties is complicated by a very modern struggle between economic progress and love for the land, between haves and have-nots. Throughout, Hart expertly weaves his main theme: that by their freedom of choice, humans are capable of betrayal but also of forgiveness and redemption. This book should settle once and for all the question of whether thrillers and mysteries can also be literature.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh all of these sound interesting
Old 04-21-2010, 06:35 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
I saw that book in the bookstore a bit ago the cover caught my attention
Yeah, the cover's intriguing, huh? I bought the paperback version though because it was cheaper.

Quote:
Oh all of these sound interesting
I agree! All of them sound interesting so far! Belle, your nomination sounds right up my alley. Sounds like a really great mystery/suspense.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

The paperback version is nice looking as well
Old 04-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Supreme Fan

All these books look really interesting...I'm going to have a hard time picking I think

We've got 3 nominations and will take 1 more before the voting begins!

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 04-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I've got my vote but the others seem interesting too
Old 04-22-2010, 03:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

The Hollow by Jessica Verday

Quote:
When Abbey's best friend, Kristen, vanishes at the bridge near Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, everyone else is all too quick to accept that Kristen is dead and rumors fly that her death was no accident. Abbey goes through the motions of mourning her best friend, but privately, she refuses to believe that Kristen is really gone. Then she meets Caspian, the gorgeous and mysterious boy who shows up out of nowhere at Kristen's funeral, and keeps reappearing in Abbey's life. Caspian clearly has secrets of his own, but he's the only person who makes Abbey feel normal again...but also special.

Just when Abbey starts to feel that she might survive all this, she learns a secret that makes her question everything she thought she knew about her best friend. How could Kristen have kept silent about so much? And could this secret have led to her death? As Abbey struggles to understand Kristen's betrayal, she uncovers a frightening truth that nearly unravels her -- one that will challenge her emerging love for Caspian, as well as her own sanity.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:49 AM
Supreme Fan

Alright, awesome. We have our four nominations. They are:
Be Mine Tonight by Kathryn Smith
The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
Down River by John Hart
The Hollow by Jessica Verday

Alright everyone. Let the voting begin.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Supreme Fan

I love this month's nominations because I haven't heard of any of them but they all look really interesting! Thanks to all of you who nominated books!

Onto the voting! I'm going to have to think about this...

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 04-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Your welcome

Be Mine Tonight - 1 vote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Obsessed Fan

I vote for The Gargoyle.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread