Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2010, 05:34 AM
Supreme Fan

June Book Club Nominations

Yay, I'm actually getting here in time this time around
So, anyway, it's that time of the month again where we nominate our favorite books and then vote for the book of the month. So, we'll take the first four nominations and to cut down on a series' monopoly, we only read the first book in a series, so, for example, if we've already read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, we can't nominate any of the others and you'll have to go to the book's thread to talk about the rest of the series. There is a list of books that have been nominated in the past here at the Card Catalog Thread so you can make sure not to nominate books we've already read.

So, like I said, first four nominations will get it. Good luck everyone.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Supreme Fan

Wow, I can't believe it's already the end of May! That came up quick! Thanks for starting this Angel

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 05-21-2010, 05:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Want to nomination Eclipse cause of the new movie this month but can't cause its the 3rd in the series, so...Twilight in its place

Quote:
Isabella "Bella" Swan moves from sunny Phoenix, Arizona to rainy Forks, Washington to live with her father, Charlie, while her mother, Renée, travels with her new husband, Phil Dwyer, a minor league baseball player. Bella attracts much attention at her new school and is quickly befriended by several students. Much to her dismay, several boys compete for shy Bella's attention.

Bella becomes determined to find out how Edward saved her life, and constantly pesters him with questions. After a family friend, Jacob Black, tells her the local tribal legends, Bella concludes that Edward and his family are vampires who drink animal blood rather than human. Edward confesses that he initially avoided Bella because the scent of her blood was too desirable to him. Over time, Edward and Bella fall in love.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Passionate Fan

I just found this book and it looks pretty good.

Product Description
Quote:
Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world . . . and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find dead birds her cat left for her. But now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.

Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer . . . and becoming his prey herself.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Gorgeous cover and the summary seems cool
Old 05-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Loyal Fan

I hope newbies are allowed to put forward nominations. If not just ignore this and let it be stricken from the record

Quote:
A fairy tale like no other with fencing, fighting, torture, poison, true love, hate, revenge, giants, hunters, bad men, good men, beautifulest ladies, snakes, spiders, beasts, chases, escapes, lies, truths, passion and miracles.
I couldn't find a better blurb, but I think thats just because a two paragraph blurb cannot do justice to the story you find within the pages of 'The Princess Bride'
Jess

Last edited by Imaginary_Vanity; 05-22-2010 at 06:25 AM
Old 05-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Supreme Fan

Of course newbies are allowed to nominate books. Welcome to the board
Old 05-22-2010, 05:42 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Great book Princess Bride I read it years ago but love the movie more
Old 05-22-2010, 05:52 AM
Supreme Fan

Alright, we have three nominations, we just need one more and then we'll start voting.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:33 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkative One (View Post)
Great book Princess Bride I read it years ago but love the movie more
I actually think I like the book more, simply because of Goldman's narration throughout . But there is no movie quite like the Princess Bride, after reading the book I loved it even more because they didn't differ too much from the book, always a plus to me .
Jess
Old 05-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Its a plus for me too they pretty much kept to the book
Old 05-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Obsessed Fan

I nominate Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. It's one of the books up next for me to read. Still need to finish this month's book club though.

Quote:
Jacob Jankowski says: "I am ninety. Or ninety-three. One or the other." At the beginning of Water for Elephants, he is living out his days in a nursing home, hating every second of it. His life wasn't always like this, however, because Jacob ran away and joined the circus when he was twenty-one. It wasn't a romantic, carefree decision, to be sure. His parents were killed in an auto accident one week before he was to sit for his veterinary medicine exams at Cornell. He buried his parents, learned that they left him nothing because they had mortgaged everything to pay his tuition, returned to school, went to the exams, and didn't write a single word. He walked out without completing the test and wound up on a circus train. The circus he joins, in Depression-era America, is second-rate at best. With Ringling Brothers as the standard, Benzini Brothers is far down the scale and pale by comparison.

Water for Elephants is the story of Jacob's life with this circus. Sara Gruen spares no detail in chronicling the squalid, filthy, brutish circumstances in which he finds himself. The animals are mangy, underfed or fed rotten food, and abused. Jacob, once it becomes known that he has veterinary skills, is put in charge of the "menagerie" and all its ills. Uncle Al, the circus impresario, is a self-serving, venal creep who slaps people around because he can. August, the animal trainer, is a certified paranoid schizophrenic whose occasional flights into madness and brutality often have Jacob as their object. Jacob is the only person in the book who has a handle on a moral compass and as his reward he spends most of the novel beaten, broken, concussed, bleeding, swollen and hungover. He is the self-appointed Protector of the Downtrodden, and... he falls in love with Marlena, crazy August's wife. Not his best idea.

The most interesting aspect of the book is all the circus lore that Gruen has so carefully researched. She has all the right vocabulary: grifters, roustabouts, workers, cooch tent, rubes, First of May, what the band plays when there's trouble, Jamaican ginger paralysis, life on a circus train, set-up and take-down, being run out of town by the "revenooers" or the cops, and losing all your hooch. There is one glorious passage about Marlena and Rosie, the bull elephant, that truly evokes the magic a circus can create. It is easy to see Marlena's and Rosie's pink sequins under the Big Top and to imagine their perfect choreography as they perform unbelievable stunts. The crowd loves it--and so will the reader. The ending is absolutely ludicrous and really quite lovely. --Valerie Ryan

Old 05-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Obsessed Fan

The book and movie are both great in their own ways. I seem to recall them cutting some hilarious scenes from the book for the movie, but in the movie Princess Buttercup is less of an airhead than she is in the book, I think.

The Body Finder sounds interesting.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
Old 05-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Supreme Fan

Alright, awesome, we have our four. The nominees are:
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Start voting, everyone.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend