Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Obsessed Fan

Ian McEwan #1: Author of Atonement, On Chesil Beach, and more!

Any other Ian McEwan fans out there? He's one of my favorite authors. So far, I've read 5 books from him: The Cement Garden, The Comfort of Strangers, Enduring Love, Atonement, and On Chesil Beach. I'd love to discuss any/all of his books, and get recommendations on others that I haven't read!

Rukia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Loyal Fan

Thank you for the thread, Rukia.
I'm gonna read In Between the Sheets next.. because my father already own it But I really wanna read The Cement Garden as well.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:26 AM
Supreme Fan

I own Atonement but I haven't read it yet. I ended up seeing the movie and that was rather depressing. I still want to read the book, though, because I've heard he's a great writer. On Chesil Beach also looked interesting

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Gabriela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyAn (View Post)
Thank you for the thread, Rukia.
I'm gonna read In Between the Sheets next.. because my father already own it But I really wanna read The Cement Garden as well.
No problem, Anne! I'm glad you're getting into Ian McEwan. He's great in that you never know what to expect from him.

Ooh, I haven't read In Between the Sheets yet... it's a collection of short stories, I believe. It's one of his very, very early work. Just to let you know, I've been warned that his early short stories like In Between the Sheets and First Love, Last Rites, are very dark, disturbing, and perverse. I'm still interested in reading them though, so let me know how it goes!

You should definitely read The Cement Garden! It's a pretty short read, but boy, does it boggle your mind. It's a bit disturbing (mind you, it's also one of McEwan's earlier works), but quite intriguing. I'll be interested to see how you like it.

And to continue our discussion on On Chesil Beach, spoilers just in case:
Spoiler:

And more spoilers just in case:
Spoiler:
I'm interested to read what you have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriela (View Post)
I own Atonement but I haven't read it yet. I ended up seeing the movie and that was rather depressing. I still want to read the book, though, because I've heard he's a great writer. On Chesil Beach also looked interesting
Atonement was quite good, but it's probably like the Time Traveler's Wife in which it kinda takes time to really get into it. It wasn't a quick read for me at all, but it was worth it. I liked the movie as well. I thought it stayed quite true to the book.

You should definitely read Atonement and also On Chesil Beach! On Chesil Beach is a much, much shorter read, but I cannot recommend it enough!

Old 08-11-2009, 05:38 AM
Loyal Fan

Spoiler:

... what did you think?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Spoiler:

... what did you think?
Spoiler:

Old 08-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukia (View Post)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 08-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Old 08-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Loyal Fan

Spoiler:
Old 08-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Obsessed Fan

Your reasons are very valid and make sense, but I still sympathize more with Florence than Edward. I think Ian McEwan makes it intentionally hard to choose either Florence or Edward. It's not that straightforward, which I like. Thanks for discussing this with me. That's why I wanted this book for the book club this month -- I thought it made for good discussion. Anyway, let me know if you read any of his other works!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Fan

I've only read 'Atonement' and 'On Chesil Beach' so far but I loved both books and will definitely pick up more books of him when I have time.

Spoiler:
Old 10-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Supreme Fan

I bought Atonement ages ago but I made the mistake of seeing the movie first, and that really turned me off of reading the book I just wasn't a fan of the movie, although I'm guessing the book is better than the movie...

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Gabriela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Fan

I saw the movie first too. I loved the movie and that did turn me a little off cuz I thought that I'd stop appreciating the movie after reading the book since books tend to be better than movies.
And now after having read it I have to say that I love the movie even more cuz it captures the atmosphere of the book so well. It's really the best book to movie adaptation I've seen so far.

You really should give it a try. It's so well written and moving. And if you didn't like the end of the movie
Spoiler:
Old 11-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Obsessed Fan

Hmmm, if you already don't like the movie, Gabriela, I'm not sure if you'll like the book, to be honest. What did you not like about the movie? I'd still recommend you reading Atonement, but I liked both the book and the movie, so that's a bit biased, I think.

Agreed, April, the movie was one of the best adaptations! It's a hard book to adapt to screen, and I think Joe Wright translated it well.

April,
Spoiler:

You should definitely check out McEwan's other works! I have to warn you though, his earlier works are much, much different than Atonement and On Chesil Beach. They can be dark and downright disturbing, but I still enjoyed them.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I've wanted to read Atonement cause of the movie I'm odd with liking to books befor seeing their movie version
crash landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread