Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Part-Time Fan

dont know if anyone has heard of it but we were issued it in AP american history, its called Ordinary Americans. Its basicly a collection of primary sources (accounts of people who were there). I loved it, even though it was a text book and "accidentally" didnt return it.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderroswellfan
I have purchased 1776 by David Mc Cullough. My last two books I read were "Castles of Steel" and "Ddreadnought", by Robert Massie.

Also. I enjoy anything on the U.S. Civil War or WWII.

Anybody a member of some good book clubs they care to share?
Have you read 1776 yet? It sounds really good.

I really like reading stuff about WWII. I am looking for some good Civil War books too

singergirl no I haven't heard of that but I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is rare I think to find a text book that people really enjoy. But I had some in high school that were good Or maybe I just find history too interesting

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Part-Time Fan

I just finished a great book.. it's called Pirates! and it's about a girl and her black slave who ran away from home and became pirates..
--_Jirsha_-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by --_Jirsha_--
I just finished a great book.. it's called Pirates! and it's about a girl and her black slave who ran away from home and became pirates..
Is it fiction or nonfiction?

Old 07-31-2005, 01:15 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k46
Is it fiction or nonfiction?
a little of both sides some things really happened but other things are just made up by the writer
Old 08-02-2005, 07:20 PM
Master Fan

ahh ok so historical fiction Well I'm glad you liked the book do you know the name of the author?

Old 08-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Part-Time Fan

yeah sure, but I don't know if you've ever heard about her
her name is Celia Rees I believe
Old 08-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Master Fan

I haven't but I'm always looking for good suggestions I keep a list of authors to check out when I go to the book store.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:52 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k46
I haven't but I'm always looking for good suggestions I keep a list of authors to check out when I go to the book store.
yeah, I always do that too! they hate me already in our local bookstore... I always have the weirdest questions about titles and writers... whaha.. they're almost afraid of me like last time.. I asked for this book they never heard of, I believe it was called 24/7 (in dutch it was something like Doodshow) they looked at me like I was from mars or something, so the next week I came to pick up my book and they said : "you're only 15 years old, this is a book for adults, you are supposed to play outside and have fun!" and I was like dude, let me read! I love Books!

so yesterday I went to the bookstore again I found out that "the Alamo" was sold out! I think they do that on purpose so now I'm waiting for a new load of books hopefully the Alamo too!
Old 08-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

One that I suggest is "Into the West" by Max McCoy. The characters in this story are fiction but the events surrounding it are as accurate as can be. It talks about the battle of the Alamo, the battle at the Little Bighorn, and the worst of them all- the massacre at Wounded Knee. What I love about this book is that it is told from a Native American's point of view as well as a white man's point of view (I mean no offense to any of you of Anglo desent).

If you look at it, a majority of history is spoken and seen from the point of view of the white man. Not much is told from the Native or Hispanic P.O.V. In "Into the West" we are able to see what the Natives, such as the Lakota, thought about the white man suddenly coming in and taking whatever they wanted; destroying the land and transitioning the Natives into the white man.

This kind of things hit close to home because I am of Native American descent. So it saddened me when the Natives got slaughtered like animals at Wounded Knee as well as the general killings that went on.

I definately recommend this book to those who are interested in it.
Emma♥Neal
Ron_Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Master Fan

--_Jirsha_-- that is funny! hee

SWJaggy thank you for the suggestion!

Old 09-23-2005, 07:59 AM
Obsessed Fan

As a Political Science major with a History minor, I read a lot of history books (non-fiction) but nothing quite does it for me like a good historical novel (fiction).
fallfromgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Master Fan

I just picked up "Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World" by Jack Weatherford. I've read some of his articles in the past and this looked good Has anyone here read it?

Old 09-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Master Fan

I've just started reading Masquerade: The Life and Times of Deborah Sampson, Continental Soldier for my women's history class. It's so interesting!
girl in a cardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Elite Fan

Time to revive this thread!

Lately I've been reading a bunch of early 20th century history--biographies of Bloomsbury notables; books about the sinking of the Lusitania, the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire, Shackleton's doomed Polar expedittion, and (more than anything else) the 1924 Everest Expedition.

Lots and lots of interesting stuff going on in the first 25 years of the last century.

Visit Picture Confessions #2...it's all about secrets!
Lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread