Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Obsessed Fan

Has anyone ever discouraged you from reading?

I ask this question because it happened to me once when I was 7 years old. I was at the school library and I was trying to check out Wayside School is Falling Down by Louis Sachar, which is not even a very difficult book. But I hadn't even gotten it off the book rack when the assistant librarian basically told me, "Those books are too hard for you. You have to go back to those shelves over there." Back then, I didn't really care because I could always go to the public library and they wouldn't mind, but years later her comment still stuck with me and it bothered me. I don't think she should've said it. It's one thing if the books were inappropriate, but it was an elementary school. All of the books were harmless.

Anyway, I was just wondering if something like this has ever happened to anyone else? Or whether you think it's okay for librarians to make judgments like that?

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
Old 09-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Master Fan

Well i was born with some learning difficulites and so i used to get "thats too hard for you" all the time. It was hard when some of my family members used to tell me that. But now i read harder stuff them and i can't help but pull out whatever i'm reading in front of them.

Visit my Book Blog "Little Corner of the World" HERE
Old 09-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

You go Jedisakora

I can't ever remember anyone telling me I couldn't read a book because it wasn't my reading level.

That was wrong of the librarian to say that. How does she/he know that a child isn't ahead of their reading level?
Old 09-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Master Fan

This is a great discussion!!

My ex-boyfriend use to hate it when I would read. He and his family thought I spend too much time and money on reading. The funny thing is that I really gave up reading most things when I lived with him. hee if he could see the amount of books I read now!

I decided then and there that I would never be with someone who tried to keep me from reading. It is my passion and a part of me!

As for people telling you something is to hard for you.. how dare they! They should be glad you are willing to challenge yourself! I wish more people would.

I remember once when I was working at a bookstore this lady wanted to know if Stephen King was ok for her high school son. I was just shocked that she was so concerned. She should of just been glad that her son likes to read! I think you should encourage your kids to read. Not be so picky about what they read. If you are worried about the violence.. why not read the book too and then discuss the violence with your children?

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Old 09-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Master Fan

I know about parents not letting you read stuff. When the Harry Potter series came out, my mother wouldn't let me read it because she called it Satan worship So when i was babysitting for some kids, i read the first one, so then she had to let me read the rest.

Visit my Book Blog "Little Corner of the World" HERE
Old 09-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
If you are worried about the violence.. why not read the book too and then discuss the violence with your children?
I agree. That's an awesome idea.
I have a bunch of books that i am going to pass down to my future kids and also I'll re-read them and discuss it with them.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Supreme Fan

I had a math teacher that told me to stop reading, of course, it was during his class, so I guess he's not at fault. Other than that, I don't really remember a time when I was discouraged from reading. My parents always read to me, my grandmother too, and I've always had a book close by since I was about three.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Master Fan

My teachers use to be shocked because I would come in with a new book almost every day in high school since I use to read a book a day.

My mom who is a teacher had a principal tell her not to read well she was over seeing study hall. she didn't get that at all. It is a good example to show a teacher reading. After after all the students were suppose to be studying or reading.

In study hall 9 times out of 10 I just read a book for fun.

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Old 09-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k46
In study hall 9 times out of 10 I just read a book for fun.
I used to always bring a book to study hall too, in case I didn't have any homework or didn't feel like doing it. Then I got annoyed when everyone around me was always complaining about how bored they were.

I'm glad you guys agree with me about the librarian. I thought maybe I was overreacting.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
Old 09-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Master Fan

I could already read when I started primary school, and the class teacher hated it because she was to start teaching the rest of the class how that year. About four years later on in the same school, the head teacher phoned my parents to complain that I was reading a grown-up biography instead of a book 'more suited to a nine year old' and was shocked when my dad got me to give her my response to it to show that I had actually understood. I've always hated being told what I can't do!
Old 09-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Addicted Fan

I had a high reading level so they were always trying to make me read harder and harder books. But I didn't WANT to. Just because a kid CAN read on a college level doesn't mean she has college-level interests. Seems like no matter what you want to read, there's someone standing there telling you not to, doesn't it?
Old 09-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Loyal Fan

In fifth grade my ENGLISH teacher told me I was the only student she has ever had that read too much. ...but like TheAngel that was probably because I was reading in her class ...
Old 09-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Total Fan

Thankfully, no. I've always been encouraged to read, and I like to take every opportunity I can. Of course, sometimes my pleasure reading interferes with the reading I have to for school.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sejmann
In fifth grade my ENGLISH teacher told me I was the only student she has ever had that read too much. ...but like TheAngel that was probably because I was reading in her class ...
I thought the teacher should be happy about my reading. It kept me from bursting into laughter when he was attempting to teach. Normally, teachers were pretty understanding though.As long as I stayed quiet and didn't totally annoy them with my books they were cool about it. I've never had a book taken away from me by a teacher. I can't really remember any other times I've gotten in trouble for reading. I almost did at church. I was reading The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan and I thought this old, craggy guy was going to beat me down because it wasn't a Bible.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jo*
I could already read when I started primary school, and the class teacher hated it because she was to start teaching the rest of the class how that year. About four years later on in the same school, the head teacher phoned my parents to complain that I was reading a grown-up biography instead of a book 'more suited to a nine year old' and was shocked when my dad got me to give her my response to it to show that I had actually understood. I've always hated being told what I can't do!
I'm glad you showed her As long as you understand the book, are enjoying it and the subject is suitable the teacher shouldn't have complained.

I never had study hall in school. Sure wish I did though. I would have read too.

I actually remember being encouraged to read in grade school. My 4th grade teacher would read to us and I remember she would even give out books for students to keep. I still have the ones she gave me. We would also order from Scholasitc Book Club and have book fairs. i miss those days.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread