Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2021, 08:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

From what I have heard of the first one (have not read it...yet) that one is a good example.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:30 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It's very juvenile.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:33 PM
Master Fan

The top two do have very pretty covers And Alias Grace is not the most appealing one.

One of the books I'm reading right has a pretty underwhelming cover imo:

Maybe it's all the grey or the fact that it's a photo, something I don't really like as a cover. Hoping I'll enjoy the book the more than I enjoy the cover.

To add to the books where the cover is better than the story: For me Queenie is such a book. I didn't dislike it, but I found it too light and fluffy, while also trying to add in more serious themes, which didn't work for me. However I think the cover is very eyecatching:

Old 01-08-2021, 08:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

How far into the top book are you? I hope you end up liking it despite the (kinda depressing) cover.

Too bad about Queenie. It sounds like the book was trying to be everything and like it gave whiplash.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:57 AM
Master Fan

About a quarter of the way through. I'll let you know how it turns out!

I know Queenie is very well liked in general. I'm just not really a fan of books that deal with major issues and still have a 'chicklit' writing style. It wasn't bad though, but it sails through more serious subjects without really exploring them. I had a similar problem with the Tattooist of Auschwitz, which isn't fluffy obviously, but the story and writing are way too superficial for me, so I can't really emotionally connect.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I'll let you know how it turns out!

Quote:
I know Queenie is very well liked in general. I'm just not really a fan of books that deal with major issues and still have a 'chicklit' writing style. It wasn't bad though, but it sails through more serious subjects without really exploring them. I had a similar problem with the Tattooist of Auschwitz, which isn't fluffy obviously, but the story and writing are way too superficial for me, so I can't really emotionally connect.
Totally get where you're coming from.

I had the Tattooist of Auschwitz on my wishlist. I am 99% certain Richard Armitage does the narration of it, so I wonder if hearing his voice will elevate it. I think there are certain books where an audio performance saves it.

Have you ever not purchased a book because it had an ugly cover? I went to the bookstore today and was planning to get A Streetcar Named Desire because I love that play. But then I saw this was its cover and I put it back:

Should I just suck it up and buy this ugly cover version?
Old 01-09-2021, 08:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

Queenie does have a cool cover. Too bad the story disappointed you.

Quote:
I had the Tattooist of Auschwitz on my wishlist. I am 99% certain Richard Armitage does the narration of it, so I wonder if hearing his voice will elevate it. I think there are certain books where an audio performance saves it.
Richard does narrate it and though I have not listen to it yet, I think he will elevate the story.

Quote:
Should I just suck it up and buy this ugly cover version?
No. Hold out for the cover you want.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:46 AM
Master Fan

^ It happens. I can't like every book I read

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse (View Post)

Have you ever not purchased a book because it had an ugly cover? I went to the bookstore today and was planning to get A Streetcar Named Desire because I love that play. But then I saw this was its cover and I put it back.
I have definitely not bought a book because I hated the cover - although only when it's a book that has several editions and I know I prefer a different cover. I always try to buy my favourite cover, unless it's a lot more expensive. If it's a book I really want, but only has one cover which I dislike, I tend to still buy it.

With A Streetcar Named Desire you have your pick of different editions, so I also hold out for the one you really like.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Richard does narrate it and though I have not listen to it yet, I think he will elevate the story.
I did get Jane Austen Society when I saw he narrated. I have to still listen.

Quote:
No. Hold out for the cover you want.

Quote:
With A Streetcar Named Desire you have your pick of different editions, so I also hold out for the one you really like.

This is the cover I got when I was in high school

so I'd like to get this one. But I think I'd take anything that's not the stick figures.

Quote:
I can't like every book I read
Hopefully even if you don't love a book, you still get something out of it.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankatje (View Post)
^ It happens. I can't like every book I read
Does anyone follow any bloggers?

I follow a couple and one always posts 5 star reviews.
And I wonder why she likes every book.

Unless she is only posting the good ones and not bothering with the bad ones.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:48 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It could be that she only posts for books she likes. Have you noticed if she lists the books she's read for a year and if some books have reviews missing?

I feel like I tend to write reviews either for book that were just eh to me OR if I follow the author's work closely.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

If she did post a list (I don't remember) than I didn't compare.

I thought you wrote reviews for books you really disliked.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I thought you wrote reviews for books you really disliked.
Yea, they're the "eh" books
Old 01-13-2021, 02:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Sometimes it is easier to write a bad review than a gushing review.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Because I am bad a figuring out different ways of saying something is great. But I can always find different ways to speak about why something is bad.