Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 12:42 PM
Loyal Fan

Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime

I just finished this book recently and I really enjoyed it because it was different. The incident with the dog was definitely strange but the relationships between the characters and how they all (including the narrator) dealt with the narrator's autism and related to one another was really well done. Has anyone else read it?
summerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Master Fan

I started reading it a while ago. I thought it was interesting, but never finished it. I'm going to have to read it this summer for school though.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Dedicated Fan

I read last year. It's a pretty good book. I loved the characterization of Christopher, even if I always started blanking out when he started on about math.
Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:28 AM
Master Fan

I love this book one of my all time favorites. That list is pretty big though.

Icon by Periwinkles
froggiepopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Passionate Fan

Oh, I love this book. It´s quite the little jewel. I´ve recommenden it to friends several times already.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Absolute Fan

I love this book! One of my psych TAs recommended it and I'm so glad.

Veronica Mars, House, Gilmore Girls, and Bones fangirl
soulstarshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Loyal Fan

Colors - I agree about the math BUT, I like that it was there...it really made the character all the more complex and real.
summerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Passionate Fan

There´s this line in the book, (it´s on page 36 in my edition ) :Mr. Thompson was wearing a T-shirt which said 'BEER-Helping ugly people having sex for 2,000 years'"
I love this quote. Cracks me up everytime I read it.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Absolute Fan

LOL that's pretty good.

Veronica Mars, House, Gilmore Girls, and Bones fangirl
soulstarshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:57 AM
Master Fan

It was a really good book in my opinion. So bittersweet and poignant. Chirstiopher was so well-written; so heartbreakingly naive about the workings of the world and his view of the world was different from everyone else. I can't imagine what it's like to raise an autistic kid.

Yes, the maths stumped me. And I liked that quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Part-Time Fan

this book was excellent, the author made the character really believeable. i loved how at the end of the book was the maths problem appendix - although i was disgusted with myself, 2 years of maths b, maths c and physics and 1 year out i've forgotten it all. i really regret cramming, gets you great marks but in the long run you're still an idiot.

the book really made me look at autistic people in a new light, how they might be thinking. Esp the groaning thing, it really freaks me out and makes me really uncomfortable to be near a person lke that although i know logically...
Old 08-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Extreme Fan

I've been reading this in school, and it was a surprisingly good book. It managed to do what few stories can handle, by mixing a strong dose of Drama and Comedy. And Christopher was truly a sympathetic character that you couldn't help but feel for.

Vote Big Brother - Summer's Nothing Without It
ReachOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:55 PM
Master Fan

I love this book! I read it last year and awarded it the very rare Angela Seal of Approval. I'm so picky about my reading...definitely a harsh critic. I hate anything too sappy-sweet, but this one had the perfect amount of "touching"-ness to not make me feel moved but not annoyed. Also some very funny laugh-out-loud moments...I'd recommend it to anyone.
Angela12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Part-Time Fan

I read this sometime last year. I just didn't really like it. I remember feeling bored...

I'm thinking I'll re-read it though. Give it another chance. If I remember correctly, I was reading it during finals week. Probably not the best time for me...
Old 08-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Marie
I read this sometime last year. I just didn't really like it. I remember feeling bored...

I'm thinking I'll re-read it though. Give it another chance. If I remember correctly, I was reading it during finals week. Probably not the best time for me...
Finals week can make you hate anything. Although I've found that generally when I read a book and hated it the first time, even if I "give it another chance" and read it a second time, I end up just hating it even more.
Angela12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread