Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Absolute Fan

Books with gay characters

I searched 5 pages back and didn't see a thread about this. I'm looking for a book that has at least one of the main character being gay but not being the whole purpose of the story. Sort of like one of Ann-Marie MacDonald's books. If anyone has a suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer that the gay character is a woman but I wouldn't mind reading books with male gay characters either.

Thank you
Old 06-02-2005, 09:57 PM
Master Fan

hmm let me think about that for a while. I can think of some books with secondary characters but no main ones. Then again I'm exhausted I will post anything if I can think of it.

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

Here's a site I found with Gay/Lesbians teen books and such, I dont know if that is what you are looking for or not though.

Teen books
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:53 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

If you like horror and/or fantasy, most of Clive Barker's books have gay characters. The only one I can think of with a lesbian character is Galilee.
There's a lot of lesbian science fiction and fantasy by authors like Nicola Griffith, Kelley Eskridge, Melissa Scott, Gael Baudino, Elizabeth A. Lynn, Tanya Huff, Lyda Morehouse, etc.

Here's a few links:
http://lesbiansciencefiction.com/index.html
http://www.aestheticism.com/visitors...yaoi/index.htm
http://www.glbtfantasy.com/
http://www.lambdasf.org/lsf/books/recommend.html
http://trinityslash.com/proslash.html
http://www.mamohanraj.com/balist.html
http://slashynovels.hinton.dk/slashyauthor.php

Sorry I don't have many recommendations for more mainstream fiction. The only book I can think of is Dream Boy by Jim Grimsley, which I just read recently and I loved it. It's about gay teenage boys though.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Dedicated Fan

Maybe Wetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block?
Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:59 PM
Part-Time Fan

The book Maurice is fabulous! But it the main character's homosexuality is what the book is all about. It talks about what it was like to be gay in England in the 20th century I believe...maybe it was the 19th...The movie was really good too! It had Hugh Grant in it and he was fabulous in it...But the book is incredible!-especially for its time.
imfunnygal511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colors
Maybe Wetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block?
Oh yeah, and Baby Be-Bop too, which is my favorite of the Dangerous Angels books.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Master Fan

I loved Dangerous Angels. Here are some books with gay characters that I have read:

Annie on my Mind by Nancy Garden
Sanctuary: A Tale of Life in the Woods by Paul Monette
Oranges aren't the only Fruit by Jeanette Winterston

Icon by Periwinkles
froggiepopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:04 AM
Addicted Fan

My fav book series is the Rainbow series. Right now it only have 2 books but the fall their will be another. I cant wait

They are REALLY good.

I highly recommand(sp?) them to everyone

Angie
Buffy/Angel, Pacey/Joey, Max/Liz, Brian/Justin, Charlie/Claire, Nancy/Hartigan, Wolverine/Rogue, Erik/Christine, Jack/Elizabeth, Mason/George, Mal/Kaylee Chiana/John, Peter/Claire, Daniel/Betty, Doctor/Rose, Bill/Sookie, Riddick/Jack, House/Cameron, Belle/Rumpelstiltskin
ANGELforBUFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soz
Sorry I don't have many recommendations for more mainstream fiction. The only book I can think of is Dream Boy by Jim Grimsley, which I just read recently and I loved it. It's about gay teenage boys though.
Another good book by Grimsley is Comfort and Joy :

Amazon.com
Question: What could be more terrifying than bringing your significant other home for Christmas? Answer: Bringing home your significant other of the same sex. From the start, it's clear that Jim Grimsley's vision of the holidays holds as much darkness as it does light. Ford McKinney first lays eyes on Dan Crell when he's singing carols at the hospital where they both work, the mournful minor-key tones of "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" seeming to broadcast "the sadness of Christmas" in contrast to the lights and decorations around them. Their attraction is immediate, but the couple must face down several obstacles. For one thing, Dan is a hemophiliac who's HIV-positive. And Ford, a rich doctor from a prominent Savannah family, doesn't even think of himself as gay. That the two manage to meet, date, and fall in love is something of a miracle in itself--perhaps the only one that can sustain them through the season of miracles.

Comfort and Joy alternates scenes of Ford and Dan's courtship with their trip to North Carolina to meet Dan's family. Like any couple anywhere, they argue about money and their families; unlike some couples, they also argue about Dan's health and Ford's reluctance to kiss. In chronicling their history, however, Grimsley gets at something fundamental: the strange mixture of love and hate and anxiety at the bottom of every relationship, gay or straight. "You're really not as bright as I am and that's a problem," they both think, being "honest" with themselves, then wonder: "Why do men stay together?" The easy answer, of course, is that they love each other. The more complicated one is that, in living together, they've begun to dream the same dreams, breathe in rhythm, lay down "crevices" inside themselves in the shapes of each other. This, Dan thinks, is enough: "enough, without words, to keep them silent about the fact of their hates and their fears, their deep concerns about each other, and the certainty that one of them would die first and neither of them knew which one it would be."

The novel's prose is workmanlike at its best, but Grimsley's understanding of the human heart is deep and rich. His book refuses easy answers and stereotypes; for example, the mysterious trauma in Dan's childhood stays in the background, where it belongs. A lesser writer would have chosen to make its revelation the book's climax--the epiphany that explains Dan's character--but Grimsley knows that childhood pain is only one of many things that make us who we are. Such is the difference between fiction that seeks to tell us who we are and fiction that knows what a mystery we are at our core. Comfort and Joy is not just a book for gay readers: it's a book for everyone who's ever been in love, who's ever had a family, who's ever wanted to find some kind of refuge from the world

I´ve read it and it´s good.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Part-Time Fan

I know of some books that have gay characters. I dont know who the authors are but I know the titles.
The Rainbow High Series
Boy Meets Boy
Annie on my Mind by Nancy Garden
Am I Blue? edited by Marion Dane Bauer
Deliever Us From Evie

D: Stacey/Aubrey Jake/Melissa HP: Tom/Daniel
Jibertyshipper4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Master Fan

I read this one book with a two gay characters. It's called "Delicious" by Mark Haskell Smith.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Master Fan

The only ones I can think of that have gay or bisexual characters are the Laurel K Hamilton ones. But those are usually not at all main characters.
n e r b l e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:55 AM
Loyal Fan

The last time I wore a dress by Daphne Scholinsky.
This is a memoir by a girl who was put in a mental institution for various reasons, but the biggest reason is because she's gay (although it is never said in direct terms). The main plot doesn't revolve around her being gay though, it's more about her life, and what behaviors and actions landed her in an institution. It is a good read.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Addicted Fan

The first book I ever read with gay characters was a children's book my aunt gave me when I was in my early teens. It had no description on the back so I don't even know if she was truly aware of what it was about (something I've always wondered considering some of the views on homosexuality I've seen in family).

It was called 'Living in Secret. It's nowhere near the best book I've read but I thought it dealt with some of the reality of living with a gay parent (and questioning one's own sexuality) in a good way for pre-teens and those in their early teens. It does focus heavily on it, though.

I don't have a library card (*cough* hefty fine) and am limited in cash so I haven't really read too many published books dealing with gay characters. I certainly would be interested in doing so.