Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Master Fan

August FF Book Club VOTING

Hello everyone! It is that time again To vote for which book you would like to read and discuss for the month of August Please feel free to nominate a book you feel would be a good read. Voting will be open for 2 weeks.

Remember that July's book is Conf. of an Ugly Stepsister so hopefully you guys all have that on your reading list. For those of you unsure about the book let me just tell you I found it to be one of the most enjoyable reads I've had in a long time. The main charcter is now near the top of my list of favorite all time characters.

Some books I would suggest: (I would be happy talking about either of them so I'll vote later..)

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling (comes out July 16th)

Quote:
FROM THE PUBLISHER
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling, the sixth book in the bestselling series, has been scheduled for release on July 16, 2005 in the United States, Britain, Canada and Australia.

In making the joint announcement, Barbara Marcus, President of Scholastic Children's Books in the United States, and Nigel Newton, Chief Executive of Bloomsbury Publishing in Britain, said, "We are delighted to announce the publication date. J.K. Rowling has written a brilliant story that will dazzle her fans in a marvelous book that takes the series to yet greater heights. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince delivers all the excitement and wonder of her bestselling previous Harry Potter novels."

In the fifth and most recent book, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, the last chapter, titled "The Second War Begins," started:
'In a brief statement Friday night, Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge confirmed that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has returned to this country and is active once more.

"It is with great regret that I must confirm that the wizard styling himself Lord - well, you know who I mean - is alive among us again," said Fudge.'
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince takes up the story of Harry Potter's sixth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry at this point in the midst of the storm of this battle of good and evil.

The author has already said that the Half-Blood Prince is neither Harry nor Voldemort. And most importantly, the opening chapter of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince has been brewing in J.K. Rowling's mind for 13 years.

Life of Pi by Yann�*Martel
From B&N online:
Quote:
Life of Pi is a masterful and utterly original novel that is at once the story of a young castaway who faces immeasurable hardships on the high seas, and a meditation on religion, faith, art and life that is as witty as it is profound. Using the threads of all of our best stories, Yann Martel has woven a glorious spiritual adventure that makes us question what it means to be alive, and to believe.
Growing up in Pondicherry, India, Piscine Molitor Patel -- known as Pi -- has a rich life. Bookish by nature, young Pi acquires a broad knowledge of not only the great religious texts but of all literature, and has a great curiosity about how the world works. His family runs the local zoo, and he spends many of his days among goats, hippos, swans, and bears, developing his own theories about the nature of animals and how human nature conforms to it. Pi’s family life is quite happy, even though his brother picks on him and his parents aren’t quite sure how to accept his decision to simultaneously embrace and practise three religions -- Christianity, Hinduism, and Islam.
But despite the lush and nurturing variety of Pi’s world, there are broad political changes afoot in India, and when Pi is sixteen his parents decide that the family needs to escape to a better life. Choosing to move to Canada, they close the zoo, pack their belongings, and board a Japanese cargo ship called the Tsimtsum. Travelling with them are many of their animals, bound for zoos in North America. However, they have only just begun their journey when the ship sinks, taking the dreams of the Patel family down with it. Only Pi survives, cast adrift in a lifeboat with the unlikeliest oftravelling companions: a zebra, an orang-utan, a hyena, and a 450-pound Royal Bengal tiger named Richard Parker.
Thus begins Pi Patel’s epic, 227-day voyage across the Pacific, and the powerful story of faith and survival at the heart of Life of Pi. Worn and scared, oscillating between hope and despair, Pi is witness to the playing out of the food chain, quite aware of his new position within it. When only the tiger is left of the seafaring menagerie, Pi realizes that his survival depends on his ability to assert his own will, and sets upon a grand and ordered scheme to keep from being Richard Parker’s next meal.
As the days pass, Pi fights both boredom and terror by throwing himself into the practical details of surviving on the open sea -- catching fish, collecting rain water, protecting himself from the sun -- all the while ensuring that the tiger is also kept alive, and knows that Pi is the key to his survival. The castaways face gruelling pain in their brushes with starvation, illness, and the storms that lash the small boat, but there is also the solace of beauty: the rainbow hues of a dorado’s death-throes, the peaceful eye of a looming whale, the shimmering blues of the ocean’s swells. Hope is fleeting, however, and despite adapting his religious practices to his daily routine, Pi feels the constant, pressing weight of despair. It is during the most hopeless and gruelling days of his voyage that Pi whittles to the core of his beliefs, casts off his own assumptions, and faces his underlying terrors head-on.
As Yann Martel has said in one interview, “The theme of this novel can be summarized in three lines. Life is a story. You can choose your story. And a story with an imaginative overlay is the better story.” And for Martel, the greatest imaginative overlay is religion. “God is a shorthand for anything that is beyond the material -- any greater pattern of meaning.” In Life of Pi, the question of stories, and of what stories to believe, is front and centre from the beginning, when the author tells us how he was led to Pi Patel and to this novel: in an Indian coffee house, a gentleman told him, “I have a story that will make you believe in God.” And as this novel comes to its brilliant conclusion, Pi shows us that the story with the imaginative overlay is also the story that contains the most truth.

Author Biography: Yann Martel was born in Spain in 1963 of peripatetic Canadian parents. He grew up in Alaska, British Columbia, Costa Rica, France, Ontario and Mexico, and has continued travelling as an adult, spending time in Iran, Turkey and India. Martel refers to his travels as, “seeing the same play on a whole lot of different stages.”
After studying philosophy at Trent University and while doing various odd jobs -- tree planting, dishwashing, working as a security guard -- he began to write. In addition to Life of Pi, Martel is the prize-winning author of The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios, a collection of short stories, and of Self, a novel, both published internationally. Yann has been living from his writing since the age of 27. He divides his time between yoga, writing and volunteering in a palliative care unit. Yann Martel lives in Montreal.
Again as always please post a book you would like to read or vote on one of the books already suggested! PM myself or Soz with questions or concerns.

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Old 06-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Master Fan

My vote goes for Harry Potter.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:08 PM
Master Fan

Well I'm not a fan of HP. Just never got into them. And I own Life of Pi so I guess my vote goes to Life of Pi.
I made my icon.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Master Fan

Harry Potter 1
Life of Pi 1

Old 06-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Master Fan

HP6, definitely.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Absolute Fan

Harry Potter for sure!
Old 06-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Moderator Support Team

The chance of me finishing Life of Pi by August is way more likely than finishing HP 6 so I vote Life of Pi.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Master Fan

Harry Potter 3
Life of Pi 2

Old 06-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Half-Blood Prince since I'll be reading it anyway and I'm kind of getting behind with the various book discussions I'm doing here and elsewhere.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:33 PM
Master Fan

Harry Potter 4
Life of Pi 2

Old 06-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Absolute Fan

Harry Potter! I have Life of Pi but I just can't get into it.

Veronica Mars, House, Gilmore Girls, and Bones fangirl
Old 06-15-2005, 01:01 AM
Passionate Fan

Harry Potter because I'll be reading it anyways!

I really didn't care for Life of Pi...

"I'm okay with being unimpressive. I sleep better."
When there's nothing let to burn you must set yourself on fire.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:59 AM
Master Fan

Harry Potter 6
Life of Pi 2

Old 06-16-2005, 10:16 PM
Loyal Fan

What is Life of Pi?

My vote goes for HP 6 even though I dont really read any books

Ben: This is something no one's ever heard about, and no one's ever seen before. This is hell on earth. -NOTLD
-John-
Old 06-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Master Fan

Well I just finished Life of Pi today very good read! About this boy who is stuck on a life boat with a tiger. Is better then I'm making it sound So I'm going to vote for Life of Pi

John you will have to read all the books in order to be up to speed for the discussion in Aug

HBP 7
Life of Pi 3

Closed Thread   Post New Thread