Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2013, 06:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The Cirlce (OT): Where Technology Meets Funology!

Banner by: Ria (Pickle-weasel!)

Our mascot, Duckery.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

All right, gals, since we're on the topic of DVRs -- and teaching me the wonders of them -- can your record shows on TV while you're watching something else on the same television? <--- The vital questions. And do you have to record shows on the TV you're going to watch the recorded shows on?

Last edited by MistyMountainHop; 03-20-2015 at 11:19 AM
Old 12-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
All right, gals, since we're on the topic of DVRs -- and teaching me the wonders of them -- can your record shows on TV while you're watching something else on the same television? <--- The vital questions. And do you have to record shows on the TV you're going to watch the recorded shows on? <--- Not so vital.
Some DVRs work differently and you can record more shows at a time and so on, but here is what mine does. You can record 1 show and then still watch 1 other show while that records. Or you can record two shows at once but then you can't watch anything on that TV live. But if you're recording two shows, you can watch something that you have already previously recorded on your DVR. As for the other question, I can only watch the shows I recorded on the TV I recorded them on, but that's because I only have 1 DVR box and actually only one digital cable box as well. But I have heard of other DVRS where you can watch them on all your TVs if you have that kind of set up.

I forgot about the marathons though! I love that you can just tell the DVR to tape all the episodes of a certain show, regardless of channel and you'll have them. It's seriously the best thing.
Ria
Old 12-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Master Fan

On the newer ones you can, but some of the old ones don't do that. For example, I just recently got my DVR upgraded. On my old one if I was recording a show on a TV, I couldn't watch anything else except shows I had already recorded.

On my new device, I can record up to six shows/movies at once (it's usually four but I pay extra for more receivers because I have more than four TVs). And if I'm recording something on the TV I'm watching, I can kind of watch live TV through another TV in the house. So if I'm watching TV in my living room, for instance, and I decide to record something, but I want to watch something else on live TV, I can just change the channel and watch whatever through another receiver that isn't currently recording anything. But if something is recording on all the TVs in the house, then I'm in the same situation as before. And I'd either have to stop a recording in order to watch live TV or watch whatever has already been recorded on the DVR.

DVRs are pretty awesome, but I'm going to have to remember to do what Colleen said and set it for 5 mins instead of 3 mins. Because that really is annoying. It's like "back in the day" when I would get so mad because I was listening to the radio and the DJ/host would cut in and start talking before a song was completely over. It was like, "What the hell? I was still listening to that!".
I don't know if that still happens though, I only listen to satellite radio now. But, that's how I feel when the DVR cuts off my shows.

Last edited by MistyMountainHop; 03-20-2015 at 11:20 AM
Old 12-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Fan Forum Star

On my DVR, I can record up to two shows at the same time, while still watching something else. Each cable provider is different though. I have my settings to automatically record 5 min after the shows so I catch the whole show.
I am an original”
Old 12-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Lots of good information from all of you. Thank you!

Old 12-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

Glad to have helped Lisa.
I am an original”
Old 12-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Master Fan

Maybe I'll blow the dust off my books and take a look at the programs I have in the morning. I had a bad night, so I could use a distraction or I'll keep thinking about it all day long.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Passionate Fan

I still have my VCR but I haven't used it in years. I love my DVR, is the greatest thing ever. I can keep all my recordings organized and watch them when I have time. That's cool that you still use your VCR Lisa. If it still works for you then I don't see why you would need a DVR, especially if you have to pay for it. But you're the first person I know who still uses a VCR.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyak0807 (View Post)
Maybe I'll blow the dust off my books and take a look at the programs I have in the morning. I had a bad night, so I could use a distraction or I'll keep thinking about it all day long.
Maybe you could make some J/H art!

Last edited by MistyMountainHop; 03-20-2015 at 11:21 AM
Old 12-29-2013, 06:59 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
Maybe you could make some J/H art!
Yeah, right. 'Cause that's gonna happen. Do you know how terrible that would look? I can't even draw well on paper. I have a friend who is very good at drawing. I drew picture kind of as a joke once. I swear she must have laughed at me for a whole hour straight because it was so pathetic. I wasn't really trying, but I don't think it would've came out any better if I had been. So that won't be happening anytime soon.

But I did do a few exercises for Dreamweaver today. I'm still not feeling too confident about it, but I'll keep trying. Maybe I can design something really nice. Because I really would like to get my website started up again. Maybe that can be one of my goals for next year. and I'm not giving you the finger Lisa.

That reminds me. I should get my New Year's resolutions list ready so I can disappointment myself like always.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Part-Time Fan

Wow, your friend actually laughed at you? Not much of a friend.

I know AMAZING artists and not once have they laughed at my poor attempts at art. In fact, they're encouraging.

Man, I really wish Firefly was still on the air. Been marathoning it and the film and some fics for the past few weeks. I'm *this* close to writing my own Firefly fic, which would be bad. >_<
Old 12-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromeknickers (View Post)
Wow, your friend actually laughed at you? Not much of a friend.
I didn't mean it like that. She wasn't laughing to be mean. Everyone I showed that particular picture to laughed at it. It was joke, I was laughing as well. I drew it in order to make people laugh, it was a silly drawing. She would not have laughed if I was serious and thought the picture was actually good. She's a good friend of mine so we joke with one another like that sometimes. I'm not even close to serious about becoming an artist, that's not really my passion but thanks for the kind words.

If I ever decide to change careers and want to go the artist route, I know I have someone to encourage me.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah, right. 'Cause that's gonna happen. Do you know how terrible that would look? I can't even draw well on paper. I have a friend who is very good at drawing. I drew picture kind of as a joke once. I swear she must have laughed at me for a whole hour straight because it was so pathetic. I wasn't really trying, but I don't think it would've came out any better if I had been. So that won't be happening anytime soon.
So no J/H manips from you, eh? That's the moral of the story?

Quote:
But I did do a few exercises for Dreamweaver today. I'm still not feeling too confident about it, but I'll keep trying. Maybe I can design something really nice. Because I really would like to get my website started up again. Maybe that can be one of my goals for next year.
Ooh, I hope you can get your website up and running again. I know a site that might be helpful in that endeavor. They sell affordable web-authoring products that makes these things a lot easier, including shopping carts and such: HTML Editor, Website & Web Design Software | CoffeeCup Software

Quote:
and I'm not giving you the finger Lisa.

Quote:
That reminds me. I should get my New Year's resolutions list ready so I can disappointment myself like always.
Aw, man! Resolutions ... I don't really do that. I more try to set a general intention for the year.

Quote:
I know AMAZING artists and not once have they laughed at my poor attempts at art. In fact, they're encouraging.
"Poor attempts". You sell yourself short, my friend. You are a very good artist, imo.

Quote:
Man, I really wish Firefly was still on the air. Been marathoning it and the film and some fics for the past few weeks. I'm *this* close to writing my own Firefly fic, which would be bad. >_<
A few places for you to share your Firefly love: http://www.fanforum.com/f410/nathan-...edon-63095689/ and http://www.fanforum.com/f410/mal-ina...apon-63095673/
Old 12-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Part-Time Fan

Nathan is great. *sighs* I'm a bigger fan of River & Jayne than Mal & Inara, for fanfiction anyway. The best couple on the show, though, was Wash and Zoe. <3

Gah... someone forbid me from writing Firefly fanfiction! Or threaten me like River would.