Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Master Fan

Yeah, it's always better when people use S1 to S4 clips to make cast videos
Old 07-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

From the Charles Rosin interview

Quote:
TDW: 90210 essentially started the primetime teen drama genre. What kind of challenges were you up against?

Rosin: Fox was all about edgy/raunchy guy-humor like “Married With Children” while 90210 was a show that not only celebrated girl-empowerment but had this wonderful character named Brenda Walsh [Shannen Doherty] who represented the notion that a teenager could be sexually active and not be a ****, but actually a role model. Unfortunately, my first set of network executives did not see the world as I did . Someday I will write a long article about the censorship that occurred after Brenda lost her virginity at the Spring Dance [ed. note: Episode 1.21, Spring Dance] to her boyfriend (who had been AIDS tested) because she was happy and not full of remorse.

TDW: When do you think 90210 crossed over that ‘initial hump’ and started achieving success?

Rosin: When the Gulf War started in February, 1991 the three networks (ABC, NBC, and CBS) suspended all commercial activity to cover the invasion. Fox didn’t have a news department back than (hard to believe; wish they didn’t have one now. ha!) so Fox broadcast whatever was on their schedule. The 90210 episodes that aired during this time included “BYOB” and “Slumber Party” [ed. note: Episodes 1.11 and 1.13]. By the time commercial activity started up again some three weeks later with the re-activation of the Nielsen ratings, our show was no longer a bottom feeder. The network took notice; gave us an extended order for season two with the understanding that we would be producing summer episodes — and we were off.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:00 PM
New Fan

My favorite television program of all time

Hello all,

I just wanted to swing by and introduce myself. I am a HUGE 90210 fan because of seasons 1 & 2 which I regard to be some of the best entertainment ever committed to screen.

I've heard criticism of my favourite show, of the actors being too old, and of the so called "over the top" story lines. But people who say these things just don't get the charm of Beverly Hills 90210.

It's that spark that the show has in those first 2 seasons. I have to say I love nearly every episode from these seasons and remember them as a child when they were on TV.

A lot of TV has come out since but nothing in my opinion can match the brilliance of the show. I obviously love it for sentimental value, that I was a child when the show was on so it's part of my life already.

I feel that great television like this doesn't get enough credit, particularly the performances, the way it is shot, the music, the characters, the way it is directed. The technical making of these episodes is impressive and better than even some of the greatest movies ever made.

The actors are seasoned pros and are mature enough to be able to handle some of the dramatic scenes. I particularly admire Jennie Garth who plays Kelly Taylor, for her performances not to mention the wardrobe / costume department for her outfits.

The show has a real heart to it, it gives me a warm feeling when i watch it. There is a real understanding of people brought fourth from the writers who write fresh imaginitive story lines which take care of big issues in a way which is simple and creative.

Few shows dare to be as big and brash, and give you as Alfred Hitchcock says a slice of cake. This is what makes it classic television. The characters are attractive to watch, and the show has kick to it.

This was the first time teenagers were given their own show, and so they had to prove constantly that they could pull it off, because back then in 1990 there were no teen shows at all, none which placed 16 year olds as the main focus of the show.

This meant that the show had to be well directed. Aaron Spelling knew what he was doing when he created the show, and he had values which are reflected through the show's story lines. He was bullied at school and had something happen to his legs as a result. A sensitive and caring man, he was an excellent television producer.

Then we have the impeccable casting. Even actors like ian Zeiring aren't talked about much, but Steve Sanders is such a fun character to watch on screen that he really carves out his own niche as being that character. All the characters are easy to distinguish in these first two seasons, with distinctive personalities.

But no matter how much I love the show, the people who didn't grow up in the 80s and 90s may not understand or have the same affection for it as I do. The show is a part of me the way certain bands or movies are, the way where I grew up was.

It's a part of the history of television, and a part of our culture.

I hope I am preaching to the converted and that people read this and add their own thoughts on what is to me the greatest show of all time.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Dedicated Fan

Hi

Not sure if this has been posted before but I found a Beverly Hills 90210 Christmas special

Beverly Hills 90210 A Christmas Special

I had never seen this one before! Looks like it's from Season 5.

So cute to see all the cast members talking about Christmas.

Tiffani & Brian do their Christmas shopping, Luke introduces us to the crew, Jennie makes cookies and says she just got married, Ian talks about his family, so sweet what he says about marriage and being from Jersey. Jason is directing the show, and Tori makes pretty boxes to give to sick kids.

Very interesting to see them all talk about the show from so long ago
Old 09-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Cool! I've seen this one before and it's posted on YouTube as individual parts for each cast member. But I've never seen this post before! Thanks for posting it!

It also has way better quality than the other ones.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for posting that!
I am an original”
Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Master Fan

So, my tv guide as his description of 90210:

The trendy, long-running drama about pretty kids with ugly problems.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Interesting description.
I am an original”
Old 10-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ugly problems? I'd prefer to say "normal problems"
Old 10-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Normal problems is about right, they went through fairly normal things that at the time weren't being shown on tv.
I am an original”
Old 10-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think the only show that was out before them that dealt with similar issues was the original Degrassi. But I think that was more of afterschool specials. But I don't even consider 90210 as a soap opera.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

No, I don't think it was a soap opera either. It got a bit soapy towards the end of the series, but I wouldn't call if a full fledged soap opera.
I am an original”
Old 10-02-2013, 01:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I love the description! Well, some of their problems were quite ugly and extraordinary. Although this was supposed to be a catchy description, not the realistic one.

I do think 90210 was a teen soap. By the end, it actually looked like any ordinary soap, as the characters got older and writers without ideas. Like Melrose Place or something. And S5 was crucial for that turn, I think, with introduction of Valerie as a scheming girl.

Brenda stands alone. Because she can.
Icon by oth. fan
Old 10-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I guess the reason why I don't consider it a soap opera is because I've only seen a few episodes of actual soap operas like All My Children, General Hospital, or the Young and the Restless and the feel of it is quite different. The directing and the lighting is different. Also, in soap operas, it seems like even the unexpected can happen. I know they brought Jack back to life in 90210 but if this was a soap opera, I think they would also try to bring Scott back to life. "The bullet missed; I'm not dead after all." But of course, the writers didn't want to bring Scott back to life.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Directing and lighting do not matter that much Soap opera is more about the structure, length, constant coming with the "new" SLs although the end of the show could have happened already, which includes a lot of recycling, all the characters changing a lot, hooking up with each other, having their lives radically changed even after they get some relatively stable closure etc. You're right that "everything could happen" in them. I got that feeling about 90210 circa S5. And especially in last seasons. Jack's resurrection you mentioned is a great example. The only reason they didn't do the same with Scott is because they did not want and though it would not attract new or satisfy old viewers. But it also was not a classic soap opera, that's true.

Brenda stands alone. Because she can.
Icon by oth. fan
Closed Thread   Post New Thread