Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Vanessa Quotes #14 ~ because quotes about Vanessa from other people are just as good as quotes from her!

Fame/Industry:
  • "You can get caught up in the nonsense of it all, or you can live a focused life." [InStyle UK Cover interview, 2009]
  • "If there's something I really want, I go for it. Staying focused && knowing what I want is hopefully going to keep me on the right path."
  • "People love making up craziness. It's ridiculous."
  • “We went to the restaurant next door yesterday,” she said at her Manhattan hotel, “and I look across the street and see lenses. They waited in their cars the rest of the day, so I stayed in my room the rest of the day.” [New York Times, August 2009]
  • On her photo scandal: "It happened and it's stupid and it sucks, but it's a thing of the past. I've got to live up to my faults. It is what it is. I think as an honest person, you should always be truthful and try not to do bad things because then you won't have to admit to them. But you choose your own path." [InStyle UK Cover interview, 2009]
  • Ms. Hudgens’s relationship with Disney was strained two years ago when nude photos of her appeared online. A mention of it causes her visible pain: “It still hurts me to this day that someone would do that. But it’s the past, and I got over it, and I’m still working. So it hasn’t killed me.” [New York Times, 2009]
  • Does a lack of attention ever worry her?: "God, no, are you kidding? It makes me a happier person. I say, ‘Thank you, Lord, for blessing me today.’ ”
  • On her career before marriage/kids: "I haven't gotten to that place where my motherly instincts have kicked in yet. [laughs] I'm thinking about what movie I'm going to do next, what directors and actors I want to work with... There's nothing more I would rather do than play [a role like] Catherine Zeta-Jone['s] in Zorro."
  • "I like having my life private. I hate the whole see-and-be-seen feeling. I just hate knowing that people are looking at me."
  • On casting agents not knowing what to do with her ethnicity: "I was never anything enough. I missed so many roles because it was like, 'You're not Latina enough,' 'You're not Caucasian enough.' It was frustrating for so long. What the hell am I supposed to be?"
  • On the power of Disney: "Disney is an incredible machine. They really have it down and figured it out. There’s so much power with the channel. Kids will watch anything that’s on it. When these kids are put on these shows, the kids at home are living and breathing the channel, and they grow to love these people. It’s crazy."
  • Stance on title of 'role model': "It's not that I want to be a role model or that I'm striving to be one. I'll try to set a good example, and if people look up to that, then great - I'm glad. But I am just who I am, and that's all I'll ever be." [Seventeen Cover interview, Feb. 2008]
  • "It's just made things way more chaotic. I mean before I was so used to just sitting around at home. Just kind of doing absolutely nothing, looking for my next job. And now I wake up to paparazzi outside my house, following me everywhere I go and not really being able to go to the malls because all the girls will follow me and will not let me go anywhere. That's the crazy part. I'm very thankful for my fans though because with out them I would not be here." [2008]
  • "I get that people are interested, but I don't talk about my personal life for a reason. You don't see me butting into your personal life."
    [CosmoGirl Cover interview, August 2008]

Her Career/Roles:

Sucker Punch:

• On her decision to do Sucker Punch: "It's totally my Angelina Jolie part. People are either going to love me for doing it or hate me for doing it, but I'm very excited." [InStyle UK Cover interview, July 2009]
  • “I’m always known as ‘that girl who’s singing in that movie,’ you know?” she said. In “Sucker Punch,” she added happily, “I get to fight and shoot a lot of people.” [New York Times, August 2009]
  • "She's kind of a follower in the real world but once we go into the fight sequences she turns into an extreme badass," Hudgens says of her character. Together the girls have to complete a quest in order to earn their freedom.
  • "It's really interesting and extremely hard to put into words," says Hudgens. "But it’s basically six movies all put together in one and with different settings, and it takes place in the Fifties and it's super kick-ass. It's classy, it's empowering and it's very moving."

Beastly:
  • "It definitely is a step towards basically playing different things. This movie is pushing me as far as I've ever gone. I'm in love with the character. She's all over the place, but she's very strong. And the story. I love a good love story." [HitFix On-Set Visit, Aug. 2009]
    How the screenplay sold her: "I just thought it was magical. Every girl wants to be a princess and Beauty and the Beast is a classic tale of a princess and a prince. Just the fact that it was going to be told in a way that was modern and edgy and sexy, that was very appealing. It wasn't something that was too far away from my target audience, but it is, in a way, a step to building new fans. It does reach out to an older group. But I'm trying to take it slow and not do anything too drastic."
  • Turning it down had Zac Efron been cast as the Beast: ".. just because I feel we're growing up and we want to be able to differentiate ourselves as actors. Not that I don't want to do something with him eventually. But it's just - we did our thing together and we're just going to let that be for the moment."
  • Her character: "Honestly, the biggest challenge for me was playing awkward. I am a very confident person and my character gets herself in extremely awkward situations."
    [Montreal Gazette, August 2009]
    On the message of the film: "I think there's a great message in this film, ya know? Beauty isn't always as it seems to the eye - there's so much more, && I think we're really putting that out there in this movie."
  • Atmosphere on-set: ""I'm having a great time, we're having so much fun. I love Mary-Kate, she's so sweet. We've been having a really good time ya know? We're just starting off right now, but it's fun, we're creating all these characters that are very defined; so it's neat to be able to play like that with people who really like doin what they're doin."
  • On if she'll be singing: "No singing! Noo singing in this movie. Uh, mock-singing, just kind of a fun, blurt-out, but nothing planned or staged out [laughs]."
    [ET On-set Visit, June 20, 2009]
  • Despite the fact that the Beauty and the Beast story has been around, in one form or another, for hundreds of years, Hudgens admits that, initially, she thought it started with Disney’s 1991 animated feature. "I did, until I really looked into it," she says with a laugh. "And it fascinates me that people still have not caught onto [the message]…. Now more than ever kids are extremely fascinated with the Hollywood glamour and it's not how it is, but that's all that you see."

Bandslam:

• The draw of Sa5m/Bandslam: "Sa5m's a lot darker. She's very deadpan throughout the entire movie and not bubbly at all, so that automatically drew me in." [InStyle UK Cover interview, July 2009]
  • On who has the starring role: "I'd say Aly, I'd say she's the leading lady. I’m completely fine with the fact that I’m not the star of this movie. For me it doesn’t matter how big the part is, just as long as it’s a memorable character.”
  • "It was great. I feel like I only want to play characters that you get to see evolve, and you see Sa5m go on this journey. And I think it’s great for kids to see another person who’s so far off from the normal girl. It was awesome. My whole rock sequence at the end was — awesome.” [New York Times, August 2009]

HSM Series:

• On moving on from HSM: "It served a major purpose in my life. It gave me a high-school experience - the opportunity to make those friends and to have my first prom and graduation. It really was a blessing. The fact is, I'm 20 and your interests and tastes change. And I've matured a lot. I feel like High School Musical was my kid years and now I have to be an adult. I'm excited because I feel like I have a whole new plate to start with." [InStyle UK Cover interview, July 2009]

• Difficulty acting vs. music: "I think with acting its a bit more difficult. Ya know because you get stuck in a stereotype and you have to kind of fight your way out of it."
  • If she believes people underestimate her: "Yes. I definitely think so, which is why I wanted to do something different in my career && to prove to people I'm not just a pretty face. I am talented. I'm going to prove everyone wrong." [Seventeen Cover interview, 2008]
  • On her first payed job: "It was the Wizard of Oz and I remember I got paid 50 dollars. I played a muchkin. You gotta start somewhere." [RTHSM2, 2007]

Music:
  • If touring is lonely: "Not really. I have six backup dancers with me on tour and three of the girls are on my bus. It's so fun hanging out with the girls, feeding off each other's energy onstage as performers, and then going back to the bus, just being girls, hanging out, eating and watching movies." [2008]
  • "When you're acting, you're a character and you can hide behind that. Music is who you are right then and there - you can't hide. Right now, I don't know completely who I am, but I'm comfortable in my own skin." [CosmoGirl Cover interview, August 2008]
  • "I think it's just really fun to be on tour. The whole driving on the tour bus thing is really fun because me and my dancers are all friends and I'm with people who are really cool. Just being on the tour bus is like a school field trip. When you're on the school bus and you're heading there and everybody is just having a blast, singing songs and everything. And that's what we do on the bus.
  • "With music its different, you get to show who you are. Your not playing a different character so its really a piece of you."

Her Outlook on Life in general:
  • "I've grown so much as a person and as an actor over the past few years." [InStyle Makeover Cover interview, 2009]
  • "If people don't like me for whatever I do, for being me, then that's too bad. I don't want to change to be something that I'm not for other people to like me."
  • On looking younger than she is: "I think if my cheeks thinned out, I might look somewhat my age. I used to hate it [being petite in height], but I've learned that I can wear five-inch heels and still not be a giant, so now I love it."
  • I just feel like I missed out on life. High school is such a vital part of becoming who you are as an individual. That's why I'm so thankful for HSM, because I feel like it filled in that gap." [ALLURE, October 2009]
  • On ever considering moving in/buying a home with Zac: "I'm young, I should have my own place. I think that everybody should buy their own home on their own."
  • On plastic surgery: "I don't really believe in plastic surgery. I guess if you reeeally need it. That's with a ton of e's. It's better to age gracefully than to try to stay young." [Self Cover interview, 2009]
  • "I'm a very sensitive person, but I've always been able to get through [tough] things."
  • "I was always the girl who just didn't really care what other people thought. I tried to keep a positive outlook and generally I was a happy person. I'm having fun, life is good, and I'm happy. That's all that really matters to me."
  • "It's not that I want to be a role model or that I'm striving to be one. I'll try to set a good example && if people look up to that than great, I'm glad. But I'm just who I am && that's all I'll ever be" [Seventeen Cover interview, Feb. 2008]
  • "I let people do what they want and make their own decisions. If they're good, great. If they suck, too bad for them."
    [Radio interview: Toby 99.5, 2007]
  • "Nothing is real except the present. If you're worrying about the future, it's completely irrelevant because it hasn't happened yet. And the past — there’s no need to dwell on that, either." [Marie Claire Cover interview, Oct 2013]

Fashion:

People Style Editor Clarissa Cruz (People Magazine's Top 10 Best Dressed of 2009):

• "We just thought [Hudgens] was really cute. She goes from hippie chic to rocker chic; she adds some edge with fierce accessories to off set her outfits."
  • "Vanessa has great personal style. It's bohemian with an edge. She's adorable."
  • "Feel. Free. To have. Fun. I mean, my thing with fashion is just, taking chances, && if you don't take chances you'll never know - so just be crazy."
    [Bandslam Premiere, August 2009]
  • How her style's changed: "When I was younger I wasn't into fashion or taking big risks. Then I started paying attention to Nicole Richie and Mary-Kate Olsen and all their different looks. That inspired me. And also you learn about your body; it takes a while to know what looks good on you."
  • Most important lesson: "I've learned that short-short skirts are not the way to go. I went through that phase at 13, so I never need to go there again! I did my Hollister bell-bottom thing; then I couldn't live without my Frankie B. jeans, little ballet flats, and T-shirts. That was cute, fun and easy."
  • Dressing for herself, not a guy: "Well truthfully, I wear what I want. It's not about a guy, really - no disrespect - I'm just saying that I dress for myself. My style has evolved into something I'm proud of. Of course, I'm still changing and my style will too. That's the fun of fashion!"
  • Lip gloss, how many: "At least 100. They just accumulate! [Laughs] The color, the taste, the sheen - all of the different ones I have are just so cool. They're an instant look changer."
  • "I've grown more bold about taking risks and not worrying what people think"
    [InStyle Makeover Cover interview, 2009]
  • If I weren't acting... "I'd be in fashion. When I was young, I liked to go to fabric stores, buy material, and sew."
  • Fashion fixations... "Joie dresses and tops, fringed bags, and my tan Mike & Chris leather jacket."
  • Necessary extravagance... "Manicures and pedicures. My friends and I go to a place near my house that gives great massages too."
  • Signature scent... "Aquolina Pink Sugar. It's a really yummy, sweet smell."
  • Beauty must-haves... "Neutrogena's mascara and Neutrogena sunscreen with Helioplex. Also, I love the dark nail polishes from Chanel."
    [InStyle "On My Mind" Feature, August 2009]
  • "I'm an organised freak. I don't take pictures of my shoes, but all my shirts are organised by sleeve length and they're colour-coordinated."
    [InStyle UK cover interview, July 2009]
  • "I'm not content with just wearing a T-shirt and jeans everyday. I love fashion and I love playing with it."
  • Describing her style: Vanessa describes her style as alternating between "bohemian chic" and "rocker chic". "They all end in chic," she says, joking. "When I'm feeling sweet, I'll throw on the floral clothes. Every now and then, long skirts. Other days I'll go for dark colours. I am no label whore and for the most part, I dress for myself."
  • On stylist Deborah Waknin: "I've used her forever and I'm in love with her! She completely gets me, which is really hard, I think. I'm not very typical; I like my own thing."
  • On fashion inspirations MK & Ashley Olsen, Nicole Richie, && Kate Moss: "They take crazy chances and I love them for that." || "She does the whole bohemian thing so well." || "She does bohemian and rocker put together. So I feel like I'm in that area."
  • "Mostly, I just feel like my closet is my playground."
  • Not minding how cheap something is: "If something's cool and funky and I like it, it doesn't matter how much it costs."
  • "I have fun with fashion."
    [Glamour "Love That Dress" Feature, June 2008]
  • On her Oscar gown-choice: "My favorite. It's Marchesa and was originally a short dress with a shoulder strap. I like the form-fitting shape and the patent leather detail gives it an edge. I asked Georgina [Chapman, the designer] to put the tulle around it too. I'm very proud of this dress. I feel like I co-designed it."
  • "Wearing Marchesa to the Oscars was fun" [InStyle "On My Mind" Feature, August 2009]
  • On her 2009 MTV Movie Awards dress-choice: "Colour, yeah, I know. I usually don't do colour. I thought because I was tan I might as well go for orange. Does that make sense?"

Her Fans:
  • “It’s amazing. I’ve never had that obsession over anything where I started crying [on instant]. But it’s incredible. They [HSM fans] are the best fans.” [Newsweek, 2009]
  • "They say to Zac, 'Oh your beautiful girlfriend....' Then they look at me, and one of the girls is like, 'Can I just have a hug?' I'm like, 'OK.' You know, I'm a nice, naive person. I go in for a hug, and all of the sudden she's kissing my neck. Definitely the weirdest fan experience I have ever had." [ALLURE, October 2009]
  • Gabriella for Halloween: "Some girls came up to me and were like, 'I'm you!' [laughs]" [Glamour "Love That Dress" Feature, June 2008]
  • "It's amazing what kids can do, they shot us to number one." [Access Hollywood, 2007]

Relationships/Advice/Guys in general:
  • "Confidence is key. Sometimes, you need to look like you're confident even when you're not."
  • "I'm still young, and I have my girlfriends and I have my family. I think that it's definitely important to have balance. I think girls can be sucked into the relationship and give too much. They like to be so into their boyfriends, you know? And you can't do that, because you get too infatuated - and then you lose contact with your friends. It happens to a lot of girls." [Seventeen Cover interview, Feb. 2008]
  • How girls know they're ready to be physically closer to a guy: "You have to think it through, not just do something spur of the moment. So that after it happens, you won't regret it. I think girls can be infatuated with their boyfriends, and they have to remember that they come first."
  • Physical attributes she's a sucker for: "A good smile... && when someone has pretty eyes, you can't help but gaze into them. && a hot body of course!"
  • On getting a 'Free Pass': "One guy who I think is adorable but I would never imagine doing anything with because he's taken && I love who he's taken by is... David Beckham" [Cosmo's Fun Fearless Female, July 2008]
  • On whether or not she's had to fight other girls over a guy: "Gosh, actually, luckily no, but I will kick some ass." [Toby 99.5, 2007]

Childhood/Family:
  • On her mom Gina: “I love her to death. She’s the sweetest, happiest woman I’ve ever met, the most free-spirited, delightful person, and I aspire to be just like her. The older I get, the more I find myself like my mom. She just has the best outlook.” [ALLURE Cover interview, October 2009]
  • On how her parents felt about her being in the industry: "All the rejection is tough and discouraging. It's so dog-eat-dog, and who would want to subject their girl to that world? But it was just something that I loved so much. Man, I can't imagine myself away from the business." [InStyle UK Cover interview, July 2009]
  • "I went through my red lipstick stage at 10, caking on clown makeup. My mom really let me play, which in the long run has given me the confidence to experiment. Now I wear everything - reds, corals, nudes. I usually don't wear pink but I had fun trying on fuchsia for this shoot!" [InStyle Makeover Cover interview, 2009]
  • "I grew up doing musical theater, so singing, acting and dancing go hand in hand for me. I've always loved doing all three. Ever since I was young, I was doing everything I could to improve myself in all fields. I've been workin toward being an actress a little more. But, singing and dancing are such a big part of my life. I spent seven years completely dedicated to dancing, where it was all I did. My parents bought me unlimited dance lessons at my dance studio because I would spend all day there - to dance and learn as much as I could." [Asian Journal SF Magazine, October 24, 2008]
  • "I'm such a mutt that I don't know why I never questioned it. I never even realized my mom had an accent until two years ago. I was like, 'Oh my gosh, you do kind of talk Filipino-y!' [What made her question it] I was never Asian enough, Hispanic enough, white enough, anything enough [for casting agents]. "
  • "I would be dancing around the house all day long, to the point where my parents are just staring at me like, 'What is this child doing?'" [RTHSM2, 2007]

Friends/Friendship:
  • On KIT with friends: “We all have such hectic schedules that we’ll go from not seeing each other for months and when we do meet up again, we pick right back up where we started. I think it’s nice to have real friends like that. Girly nights are always fun — consisting of staying in, watching movies and grubbing out.” [Newsweek, 2009]
  • BFF... "Brittany Snow. Zac worked with her on Hairspray - we've been hanging out a lot."
  • Being a bad influence on Aly [Michalka] with shopping: "(Laughs) I am somewhat of a shopaholic! I think that when two girls are put together, one of them is bound to rub off on the other one, so that was me!"
  • If she considers herself a good friend: "Oh yeah. I won't flake out on you. && you can tell me a secret && it will never be repeated." [Cosmo Fun Fearless Female, July 2008]
  • "Corbin was actually teaching me how to box. So, some guys best beware." [Radio Interview: Toby 99.5, 2007]

Random:
  • "I love it in Montreal, so much. I've fallen in love with this place, I don't wanna leave. I've been watching fireworks, && there's a lot of concerts, && it's just a great atmosphere, there's.. I don't know if there's a better place to work than here in Montreal."
  • "I'm the giggliest person you'll ever meet. If somebody fell down the stairs, I'd laugh and pee in my pants before I'd ask if they were OK. It's really bad!"
    [Self Cover interview, 2009]
  • Happy I bought... "A Daughters of the Revolution dress at Fred Segal, sandals at Planet Blue valet parking at the Four Seasons Hotel, and a Pilates class pass."
  • In my bag... "My Balenciaga wallet, a beanie hat I took from my mom, hand sanitizer, lip gloss, iPhone headphones, and two pairs of sunglasses - Diesel and Ray-Ban aviators."
  • Craving... "Any sour candy: Lemonheads, Sour Skittles, Sour Patch Kids."
  • Jonesing for... The McCarthy salad at the Polo Lounge in L.A."
    [InStyle "On My Mind" Feature, August 2009]
  • "I just love chocolate and I can't give it up. I find myself eating it all the time, even when I don't want to be. It just appears in my mouth!" [Jan., 2009]
  • "I throw down when I want to! [laughs] No, I'm joking." [TRL, 2008]
  • "What's a senior trip?"
  • On what ethnicity she checks off on forms: "Both Pacific Islander and Caucasian. Wait, am I allowed to check two?"
    [CosmoGirl Cover interview, August 2008]
  • "Oh my God, [Vancouver is] so gorgeous," she says. "During the summer it was so lush and green." The Grouse Grind, a steep hiking trail going up Grouse Mountain, made for a good break. "I remember doing that and hating it and loving it at the same time, you know what I mean? Going up to the top when it was snowing was so beautiful. Me and my sister and my mom went up and made snowmen," Hudgens recalls.
  • "We found this amazing Victorian house that we shot in; that was [Kyle's] house that he was hidden away in," says Hudgens. "It had beautiful Victorian borders on the edges. It was just gorgeous. And then we also shot in this house [where] Leonardo DiCaprio shot Aviator, it was a beautiful countryside house, we spent about two days there."
  • "Oh my God, probably the best thing I’ve ever had," she says. "I would walk around old Montreal, the cobblestone streets and the French restaurants and the jazz. I was there during the jazz festival and I remember walking out on my balcony and hearing [sings] 'I just called, to say, I love you,' and I’m like, 'Oh my God, is that Stevie Wonder?' And sure enough just down the street on the massive screen he's swaying back and forth, singing a classic."
    --"I’m really good at keeping my head down," she says. "I really had a chance to walk around and do whatever. Me and Mary-Kate were walking around Old Montreal and I think she got recognized once and I didn’t even get recognized [laughs]."

Trying to guess the 'Myster Word of the Day' on the Ellen Degeneres Show [May 7, 2009]:
  • Ellen: Is there a lot of wildlife there [her new house]? Do you hear a lot of noises at night? Is it scary?
    V: I saw a deer
    E: You saw a deer
    V: Uh-huh
    E:Ooh they should be careful because what if there's something that could get 'em.
    V:Like a coy-o-te?
    E:Or something even more ferocious. I mean you'd probably have to live not in town, further out, but what would get it
    V: .. A bear?
    E: A bear would get it.
    V: Yeah it would
    E:Yeah you're right
    V: .. A hunter?
    E:That'd be terrible to have a hunter in the city. No an animal. A type of animal that would go after something like that
    V: .. Uhm, would this be like a forest animal
    E: Yeah it could be in the forest or something like that. Or you know, or, or... what if not only deer have to be careful... but younger men --
    V: [throws arms up] -- COUGAR!
  • Her Favorite Things [Protagonistas High School MSN Entrevista, 2007]:
  • Favorite Actress: "My favorite actress will always be Natalie Wood"
  • Favorite Movie: "Nightmare Before Christmas, I can watch it over, && over, && over && over again."
  • Favorite Singer: "Christina Aguilera"
  • Favorite Song: "Probably 'Happy Birthday,' cause you can never get sick of it."
  • Favorite Dessert: "Hot Cheetos"
  • Favorite Animal: "A Beluga Whale!"
  • Favorite Car: "My favorite car.. is probably a Porsche Carrera GT"

• "Actually, actually I have the funniest story. We were in a children’s hospital while we were on tour…and it was actually Mickey Mouse right next to us. And we totally got beat by Mickey Mouse. Everyone came to see Mickey Mouse and no one came over to see us. So finally I was just like, if you can’t beat them, join them."
  • "It was so random and it felt so real. My sister was marrying a cupcake. And then a cupcake shot up into the air and made cupcake babies and there was a whole bunch of them. My dad was like, 'This is a suitable husband for you.' So I married a cupcake, too! "
  • "I feel like Yoda [from Star Wars] sometimes."

Quotes about Vanessa:

Director Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen, Sucker Punch):
  • On claims she'd be naked in Sucker Punch: "Not naked," Snyder said. "I love that. I saw that on the Internet and I was like, really? That's news to me. No. But she is going to kick some butt in that movie, I will tell you that. Not naked butt, just normal."
  • On casting her in a high-action film despite no prior experience: "She rehearsed, she did the audition for the scene. I wasn’t sure at first – [the casting people] were like ‘Oh, Vanessa’s coming’ and I was ‘Oh, okay - that sounds cool’ but I didn’t know what to think.”

“Then I saw the tape and I literally went ‘Wow, she’s good,'” Snyder recalled. “She’s really good. Then I talked to her about what she’d have to do.” [MTV Movie Blog, June 2009]
  • On what you'll see from her: "You’re going to see her shooting machine guns, fighting, beating the sh-t out of people. It’ll allow her to stretch herself and do whatever she wants, and not be too exposed by the movie - but also, on the other hand, do things that people have never seen her do. She has a big part, but she’s not the center of the movie." [MTV Movie Blog, June 2009]
  • On being surprised by her physicality: "It’s funny - we sat her down for her physical evaluation, and she was really athletic. She’s a dancer, so all the choreography is gonna be fun for her." [MTV Movie Blog, June 2009]
  • Why she's right for the role: Snyder calls her a "triple threat" because she "understood immediately what I was trying to do with the movie and has the acting chops to pull it off; her dancing background gives her the physicality to be an action star; and let's face it, she is also beautiful." [InStyle UK Cover interview, 2009]

Director Daniel Barnz (Phoebe In Wonderland, Beastly):
  • "She has been really excited about showing other parts of her acting ability. She is, as a person, feisty and spirited and winning, and these are all characteristics the character has. She has this fiery inside that comes out when she's tested."

Director Todd Graff (Camp, Bandslam):
  • “She was gigantically famous from the ‘High School Musicals,’ but I hadn’t seen ‘High School Musical’ at the time, because I’m not a 12-year-old girl. So I said, ‘I’m more than happy to have her come in and audition if she’s willing to do that.’ And she was cool about it.”

Director/Choreographer Kenny Ortega (Dirty Dancing, Newsies, HSM Series, Michael Jackson's: This Is It, etc.):
  • "She's a beautiful young girl. For me, it must have been what it felt like to have Natalie Wood in front of your camera. She's so exquisite! Also, she's quite shy, gentle and sweet. She has a kind of fragility.
  • "When you're with Vanessa, you lower your voice and go slower. But then, she's a firecracker too. She has an extensive background in dance, so she's well-versed and has a lot of technique. She studied voice, too. She's not just one of those kids who sings pop music. I'd say she has grown and evolved the most as an actor, from the beginning of 'High School Musical' to where she is now. I'm proud of her. She has really come a long way!"
  • "She continues to amaze me in the way that she grows as an actress. This girl can dance. This girl can sing. This girl can act. She's funny, she's everything. She's a real leading lady."
  • "Vanessa has the most beautiful voice, && heart. Such a passionate young girl - as an actress && as a person."

Producer Susan Cartsonis (What Women Want, No Reservations, Beastly):
  • "She's kind of a ball of fire. She seemed most perfect for the part."

Choreographer/Dancer Charles "Chucky" Klapow (L.A. Sparks, L.A. Lakers, HSM Series, Michael Jackson's: This Is It, etc.):
  • "I'm lucky to have been able to spend the last few years watching her grow up and mature. She's an amazing and wonderful person. We both laugh a lot just like our Filipino families."
  • "Vanessa is the most naturally gifted in picking up the new moves."

Miscellaneous Outlets/Media/Reviews (Critics, Newspapers, Entertainment Shows, Blogs, etc.):
  • John Anderson (New York Times): "In an industry where talented people can evaporate because of attitude, Ms. Hudgens seems precociously grounded"
  • "Ms. Hudgens isn’t resting on any laurels. Or resting at all."
  • "Ms. Hudgens’s character, Sa5m (“The five is silent”), is an emo girl who speaks slowly because of a stutter, resembles Ally Sheedy in “The Breakfast Club” and is ostensibly the female lead, even if Ms. Hudgens argues to the contrary. [...] It’s clear from the start, however, that Ms. Hudgens is the movie’s loaded gun and is going to go off spectacularly. At this, she giggled."
  • Rob Nelson (Bandslam, Variety): "Never more than typical tween-pop, the band's cloying tunes -- alternately sung by Michalka and the charming Hudgens -- do improve as the film goes on, enough to lend a hint of plausibility to the proceedings. Hudgens' late-period turn at the mic is particularly well suited to a performance that builds in volume as Michalka's recedes."
  • Roger Ebert (Bandslam, Chicago Tribune): "... Vanessa Hudgens [is a] musician[s], which makes the rehearsal and performance segments convincing. They [Aly & V] also possess beauty and presence, and yet look plausible."
  • Lisa Schwarzbaum (Bandslam, EW): "Vanessa Hudgens expands her repertory by playing a sarcastic loner rather than the brainy popular girl she's made famous in High School Musical."
  • Roger Moore (Bandslam, Orlando Sentinel): "Hudgens, free from the plastic Disney packaging, is winsome and winning."
  • Andrew L. Urban (Bandslam, Urban Cinefile): "Hudgens has both the beauty and the brains to generate plenty of interest, a natural stillness that's star material and a heart melting smile. She becomes the centre of our interest and remains at the emotional core of the film throughout."
  • Cassam Looch (Bandslam, IndieLondon): "Hudgens and Michalka, as the two ladies in his life, do a great job, however, and Hudgens in particular shows that she is destined for bigger things… she’s probably one of the most promising young actresses in Hollywood at the moment and thankfully enhances those credentials by allowing Michalka to do most of the singing."
  • Blake French (Bandslam, AMC): "Hudgens, despite being the primary selling point of the film, knows when to hold back: She doesn't fight for attention or upstage her fellow actors."
  • Ty Burr (Bandslam, Boston Globe): "Sa5m is played by Vanessa Hudgens - yes, Princess Sparkle of the “HSM’’ franchise has gone over to the dark side. Sort of. Hudgens is likable as this diluted version of Ally Sheedy in “The Breakfast Club,’’ and you can tell she relishes not being the center of attention, but it’s only a matter of time before Sa5m ascends to her proper place in the movie’s scheme. Hudgens is, verily, the Ruby Keeler of her generation, which means she’s going to go out there and become a star whether it makes sense or not."
  • Karen Krizanovich (Bandslam, Radio Times): "What surprises is the believable dialogue and the freshness of the performers, such as Vanessa Hudgens."
  • Mark Adams (Bandslam, The Mirror): "Hudgens is perfect as the school loner and she exudes a depth and intensity that is not as evident in the more brassy, self-aware performance of Michalka"
  • Kimberley Jones (Bandslam, Austin Chronicle): "Both [kiss scenes] are fine – Hudgens, especially, shows spark in the more interesting role [...]"
  • Matthew Turner (Bandslam, View London): "Connell's a little dopey in the lead, but he has good chemistry with Hudgens, who gets to display some impressive comic timing and is allowed to be a lot sexier here than she was in the High School Musical movies."
  • Robbie Collins (Bandslam, News of the World): "But the chances of any of the cast carving out a decent showbiz career outside "The Trilogy" were slimmer than a Wildcats lead at the end of the third quarter. Well, colour this cynic surprised... with Bandslam, Vanessa's the first HSM star to break free properly from East High's clutches."
  • Lara Martin (Bandslam, Digital Spy): "The main revelation is Hudgens herself, who manages to outshine her castmates despite her measly screen time. Kooky, cute and genuinely funny, she proves that she can play the emo-chick just as well as the brain box, making this an immensely enjoyable, if predictable, ride."
  • Siobhan Synnot (Bandslam, News.Scotsman): "... it says something about the souped-up demands of modern high school stories that even the emo character is drop dead gorgeous"
  • David Waddington (Bandslam, N. Whales Pioneer): "Although she eases herself out of the cutesy, shiny HSM persona into that of off-beat Sa5m quite competently, she still outshines the rest of the cast [...] "
  • Jolene Mendez (Bandslam, Jo Review): "Vanessa Hudgens proved to be an extraordinary actress and singer."
  • Stephen Schaefer (Bandslam, Boston Herald): "One of the pleasures of “Bandslam” is its geeks vs. the world scenario. There is withdrawn, existential Sa5m (Hudgens, delightful in a change of pace) [...] "
  • Leslie Gornstein (Bandslam, E!): "But it's Vanessa Hudgens who steals the mic with a surprisingly subtle performance."
  • Grant Lauchlan (Bandslam, Daily Record): "The girl in question is Vanessa Hudgens but take it from me Bandslam is no High School Musical and Hudgens shouldn't worry about typecasting just yet. Here, she easily switches from saccharin-coated Disney chick to grungy cool indie girl, doing her career a lot of favours in the process."
  • George Pennacchio (Bandslam, ABC): "Vanessa Hudgens clearly and impressively shows us she's graduated from her "High School Musical" days."
  • Ruth McCann (Bandslam, Washington Post): "But the script's earnest intelligence and the actors' charm (Connell, Hudgens and Kudrow are especially fun to watch) make this film an entertaining ode to teenage joie de vivre."
  • Philip French (Bandslam, The Observer [Guardian - UK]): "The other is an acerbic brunette (Vanessa Hudgens), who looks like the young Thandie Newton and wisecracks like Dorothy Parker."
  • Sean Patrick (Bandslam, WOC News Talk): "Also strong is Hudgens in an unexpectedly small role. When I saw that one of the stars of High School Musical was in Bandslam I naturally assumed she would be the star. Hudgens however, melts right into this ensemble cast. Though the name Sa5m is a little precious, Hudgens does well to underplay the character quirks. And just wait till she gets on stage to deliver a rockin' version of Bread's "Everything I Own". Wow! Not kidding, great stuff."
  • Justin Matlock (Bandslam, Muswell Hill Journal): " [...] Vanessa Hudgens is charm wrapped in quirky fashion as the undiscovered singer Sa5m"
  • James Gordon (Bandslam, YuBlog): "Even Hudgens, who’s acting talent I would have put beside that of your average flee, is incredible in this weird, outsider role. If Zefron failed to escape Troy Bolton in 17 Again, Vanessa more than manages to escape the heels of Gabriella, and create a much more rounded character. [...] 100 minutes ago, I’d have never said something like this but I’m going to go there, and yes, I’m going to mean it: A movie with Vanessa Hudgens has just become one of my favourite movies this year."
  • Jesse Hasenger (Bandslam, The L Magazine): "Hudgens not only has more quiet presence here than in the High School Musical filmed product line, but sings better, too — it's as if she's had Disney's remote-control device removed from her nasal cavity."
  • Ben Lyons (Bandslam, At the Movies/E!'s Daily 10) "Congrats to Vanessa Hudgens for being in a really cool high-school movie, something a little bit different than we've seen from her in the past."
  • Dustin Putman (Bandslam, The Movie Boy): "As Sa5m, Vanessa Hudgens (2003's "Thirteen") is perhaps too attractive to believably play the outsider role, but she is very good all the same and shares an unforced chemistry with Connell."
  • Vanessa Freidman (Bandslam, LonelyPond): "I think Vanessa Hudgens is an excellent actress, nay, I will go so far as to say a MOVIE STAR [...] Vanessa Hudgens can dominate a scene seemingly effortlessly"
  • Dr. Rus (Bandslam, Frame by Frame): "As for the acting, Vanessa Anne Hudgens shows she can do more than just sing. This is a rather surprising character for her, considering her past performances in High School Musical."
  • Michael Dalton (Bandslam, Mod Move): "Sa5m, played with charm by the angelic High School Musical regular Vanessa Hudgens, delivers best amongst the young‘uns here particularly in the grand finale when she delivers a rollicking take on David Gates classic, Everything I Own."
  • Armond White (Bandslam reference, NY Press): "If Jennifer’s Body doesn’t easily slot into any previous horror movie’s moral template—not Cat People, Carrie nor Fatal Attraction—that’s only due to Cody’s own confusion and director Karyn (Girlfight) Kusama’s poor skills. They’re not knowledgeable enough to create comparable archetypes of sexual experience. Vanessa Hudgens and Alyson Michalka played more complex and affecting versions of these roles in Bandslam—and neither was embarrassed with the name Needy."
  • Gregory Ellwood (Beastly, HitFix): ".. to be honest, this writer has never been a big fan of the Hudgens. Sure, she's been cute and perky, but she'd always seemed like the weakest link of the entire "High School Musical" crew. And, let's be frank, releasing a single entitled "Sneakernight" won't endear you to many (of any age). But, over the next year or so, Hudgens might get the last laugh. [...]
  • And that brings us back to Hudgens. We'll save the intriguing details for the full report, but this day's scene showed that the 20-year-old is a pros pro with more range than most critics would give her credit for. So, perhaps Zack Snyder knows what he's up to casting her in "Sucker Punch."
  • Pete Hammond (Gimme Shelter): "Vanessa Hudgens is a complete revelation."

MAW Foundation

Karen Iglesias (president of Make-A-Wish Foundation of Southern Nevada):
[LIST][INDENT]"We were trying to work around Vanessa's schedule in an attempt to plan a visit, but she was filming and it was tough," Iglesias said. Then the foundation received a call from Wendy's doctor, who told granters that the little girl didn't have much time left.

"We knew now that she had probably only weeks to live," Iglesias said. "Which boosted her case to be a rush wish. She was deteriorating more every day, and our fear was that she would leave us before we could get something worked out with Vanessa's people."

According to Iglesias, when Hudgens got the call about meeting Wendy, she shut down filming on a project she was working on in New York and rushed to the sick girl's side.

"She dropped everything and came to Nevada," Iglesias said. "Celebrity wishes can be tricky because some celebrities are great, others aren't so great. But Vanessa, she really went above and beyond."

Mirna Godinez (Wendy's mother): [*]"She got this great, surprised look on her face," Godinez said. "It really was a dream come true for her." Godinez said that Hudgens spent more than an hour with the girl, singing to her, holding her and stroking her face.

"She was really incredible," Godinez said. "I will be forever grateful for the experience she gave my daughter." Wendy died May 24, surrounded by those who loved her most. Godinez said that while it is still hard to cope with the loss of her first-born child, she finds the memory of Wendy meeting Hudgens comforting.

"I can still see the look on her face when she saw Vanessa," she said. "It was her final wish. And to see it come true ... words can't describe the comfort that brings me. That we could do that for her."

Friends && Co-stars, etc.

Brittany Snow:
  • "One of my best friends is Vanessa Hudgens. And we probably hang out like, every day... They're [Z&V] the most amazing people in the world. I would do anything for them, yea. I love them, dearly."
  • “We like to go to the mall and just go to Bloomingdale’s and Macy’s. Or we go to Third Street or Fred Segal. We’ve done that a couple of times. Mostly we go to the mall though. Vanessa and I also go to piloxing a lot. One time, it was all us girls, but mostly it’s just me and Vanessa. I usually go two times a week.”
  • "I've known Vanessa Hudgens for awhile. [She's] crazy!"

Aly Michalka:
  • "I got to really know her, which was great, 'cause I don't really have that many girlfriends and she's a very sweet girl."
  • "Vanessa && I would hang out on the weekends && go shopping."
  • "We would take breaks during filming and go into Gaelan's trailer and play Rock Band. Also, Vanessa and I ended up going to get wigs one day while we were on set. She got a blonde wig and I got a brunette wig and we went out to dinner later that night and tried to fool some people. It was fun!"
  • Bubba Lewis: "Vanessa's got this welcoming personality and is very bubbly - she just makes you feel good!"
  • Alyson Reed: "She just glows, so sweet. Vanessa just has the internal twinkle in her eye. The poise that Vanessa shows at her young age is remarkable. She has her feet firmly on the ground."
  • Corbin Bleu: "One of the coolest things about Vanessa is she just knows how to have fun! She's really just one of the most fun, coolest girls you can hang out with."
    "Vanessa is going to have a music career; she is a great singer."
  • Question: If Vanessa weren't an actor, she would be...?
    Corbin Bleu: "A model."
    Zac Efron: "Good answer."
  • Joe Jonas: "She looked amazing, I kind of didn't wanna let go." [2007 TCAs]
    "Vanessa Hudgens everybody!" [Accepting the 'Choice Hottie' Awards, 2008 TCAs]
  • Gaelan Connell: "Todd Graff's [Bandslam director] tryna get this kissing scene done, Vanessa's like, ya know, 'C'mon Gaelan!' && I'm like, 'Oh ok, like you're into this? C'mon, hello?' && between takes I'm like, 'C'mon Gaelan [shakes hands awake] work with me!'"
  • Lucas Grabeel: "Vanessa's so sweet. She's uhm, she's very passionate, && ya know, she has a lot of fun."
  • E!: The Vanessa Hudgens haters have to stop. Seriously, why is there so much animosity toward the young High School Musical star?
    Charlie Saxton: "It's so totally uncool. It's like c'mon. Give me a break. She's such a sweet person, such a nice girl. She really doesn't deserve all the negativity that she's getting. [On keeping her commitment to attend the Bandslam premiere] She held her head high, was laughing and smiling, being her typical happy self. Good for her."
  • Mary-Kate Olsen: "Vanessa is just the nicest. && she's funny, && smart, && a great actress. She's amazing to watch."
  • Nicole Richie: "Me and VHud are besties."
  • Adam Shankman: "If you want to know what kind of people Zac and Vanessa are ... I turned around and Vanessa was taking out the garbage and Zac was doing the dishes. They have no entitlement issues, it's all for one and one for all. Nothing is taken for granted."
  • Zac Efron: "Working with Vanessa, it's really fun ya know? We really were friends pretty much from the moment we met, she's always been real easy to talk to."
  • Photographer Ben Watts: "Incredible subject. Very beautiful, blessed in the looks department; so you'd have to be a fool to mess this one up."

Previous Threads:
01. 02. 03. 04. 05. 06. 07. 08. 09. 10. 11. 12. 13.

Last edited by Less Than Perfect; 11-29-2013 at 03:36 AM
Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

thanks for opening
~ Vanessa Hudgens ~
Old 08-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for opening
Old 08-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Fan Forum Legend

No problem.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks Holds!

» Steve Rogers ♥ Natasha Romanoff
Old 08-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

You're welcome.

I've been trying to remember to add these quotes people have been saying about her in TFG but it's hard to remember to add them.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:22 AM
Fan Forum Hero

ah gosh, I completely forgot to do that thing for you I suck.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

hahah theres still time
~ Vanessa Hudgens ~
Old 08-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

It's easy to forget.

» Steve Rogers ♥ Natasha Romanoff
Old 08-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'll try and do it this weekend
Old 08-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

Sounds good
~ Vanessa Hudgens ~
Old 08-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Keep reminding me
Old 08-08-2013, 04:07 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Don't worry if you forget Mya.

I keep forgetting too and I was looking at it all earlier this week.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'll try and remember
Old 08-08-2013, 05:19 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It's all good. It's not like we haven't forgotten to add heaps of quotes. :lol;