Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Master Fan

Lindy Taylor (Beastly S&S) #42 ~ Beastly is now being released 2 weeks earlier!? We have no problem with that!

Most people considered Kyle to be the perfect boy with the perfect life. He was tall, blonde, rich, and handsome and was dating the most popular girl in school. He had the potential to be smart but was too concerned with his looks and popularity to concern himself with anything else. But when he asks an ugly girl in school to the Prom as a joke, his life changes forever. In Beastly, 16-year-old Kyle Kingsbury angers a witchy girl in his class and is surprised when she turns him into a beast. He must find true love in two years to break the spell... and unfortunately, MySpace doesn't work. When a robber stumbles into his garden Kyle offers him a deal; he won't report him to the police if the robber brings Kyle his daughter. According to the author's note in the back of the book, Flinn researched many versions of the Beauty and the Beast story in writing her book. Many of these are playfully alluded to in portions of the book, particularly the chat room transcripts in which the character of Kyle talks to other teens who have been transformed into creatures.

Novel by Alex Flinn
Accomplishments:
  • ALA Quick Pick for Reluctant Young Adult Readers
  • VOYA Editor’s Choice
  • IRA/CBC Young Adults’ Choice
  • New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age
  • Texas Lone Star Reading List

Settings:
  • Manhattan – Kyle’s apartment where he lives with his dad Rob
  • SoHo – Sloane is shopping there when Kyle calls her/Kyle mentions it’s where a classmates throws the hottest parties
  • Brownsville – mentioned as Linda’s new school
  • Countryside on the outskirts of town – Adrian takes Linda there to see real snow
  • The Plaza – where Tuttle has their dance
  • Subway trains/stations
  • Strawberry Fields - Linda mentions going there to read after school

Film directed by Daniel Barnz
Produced by CBS Films

Backstage - ETOnline - SciFi Wire - Variety - The Wall Street Journal - The Hollywood Reporter
"It’s called Beastly, and it’s very interesting, it’s different, and it’s very sweet – it’s a great love story"
- Vanessa {Extra}

"As we head back to Alex's hotel, he talks about his next project, a film called Beastly: 'Its my first big Hollywood job,' he says proudly. 'I play a man who's obsessed with his own beauty, so its perfect casting.'"
- Alex {You Magazine}

"I might be doing a film called Beastly, it’s an Alex Flinn book and it’d be with Vanessa Hudgens. She’s really talented. She’s yet to prove herself so far because she’s only been in musicals but she’s got the film Bandslam which is about to come out, and Sucker Punch and now she’s got Beastly too, which is cool. Will I be tempted to steal her off Zac [Efron]? No! she’s a beautiful girl but I wouldn’t steal her off her boyfriend! My kind of girl... maybe Natalie Portman, or Winona Ryder."
- Alex {link}

CBS Films has tapped Mary-Kate Olsen and Alex Pettyfer to star alongside Vanessa Hudgens in teen romancer "Beastly," with Susan Cartsonis producing via her Storefront Films shingle.
- Variety

Up next for Mr. Harris: He plans to shoot an independent film with actress Amy Sedaris, “The Best and the Brightest,” and then head to Montreal to work on “Beastly,” a modern take on “Beauty and the Beast” featuring Vanessa Hudgens of “High School Musical.”
- Wall Street Journal

In "Beastly," a modern retelling of "Beauty and the Beast," Harris is playing a blind tutor who helps and bonds with a teen (Alex Pettyfer) who is shellshocked from being turned into a hideous young man. Vanessa Hudgens and Mary-Kate Olsen also star in the adaptation of the Alex Finn novel, being directed by Daniel Barnz. The movie is in preproduction in Montreal.
- THR

Peter Krause has joined Mary-Kate Olsen, Alex Pettyfer and Vanessa Hudgens in "Beastly," the CBS Films adaptation of the Alex Flinn fantasy novel. Shooting is under way in Montreal.
- Variety

Beastly Teaser trailer || November 20, 2009

Beastly teaser trailer: November 20, 2009

"This is a serious romance and it definitely takes some dark turns which I think is good, because I don't think audiences just want fluff," Barnz says. "I was very inspired by 'Say Anything.' I thought there was this kind of rawness and visceral qualities of those years. Being 18 and 19 and what those years are like. So, I wanted to translate that into this film as well."

Producer Susan Cartonis is no stranger to quality female skewing flicks having championed hits such as "Where the Heart Is" and "What Women Want."

"I would call it an epic romance that is first for a young audience, but then spreads out for everybody including people my age," Cartonis says. "it doesn't condescend to the audience as the best romantic movies don't and that's what I feel most proud of it. I feel like Daniel has told a story that first and foremost is a love story, a story about transformation that has an epic feel about it."
- HitFix

"She has been really excited about showing other parts of her acting ability," said Barnz. "She is, as a person, feisty and spirited and winning, and these are all characteristics the character has. She has this fiery inside that comes out when she's tested."

Producer Susan Cartsonis - best known for producing the Mel Gibson vehicle What Women Want - said Hudgens was a natural for the role.

"She's kind of a ball of fire," said Cartsonis. "She seemed most perfect for the part."
- Canada.com

"I know Vanessa Hudgens doesn't look the way I described Lindy in the book, but she is the same person too. I was in New York two weeks ago, and I got to see about a 10-minute clip of the movie, the party scene where Kyle (as in the book) fights with Sloane, talks to Lindy, and snubs Kendra, then the scene back at his apartment with Kendra. Vanessa Hudgens comes off very smart, and sweet and self-deprecating as Lindy in the scene, and she was definitely in sharp contrast to Sloane, Trey, Kyle, and the other snotty kids at the school. This was the most important thing to me, that Lindy would be a normal, middle class, smart girl, and she nailed it. I really enjoyed her in Bandslam, and I look forward to seeing her in the whole movie."
- Alex Flinn {link}

Videos & Media

one two three

Mycoke.com: Exclusive Feature || February 24, 2010

Place: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Principal photography: June 13 - August 18, 2009 [Source]
Expected Release date: March 4, 2011
Beastly - Worldwide Release Dates

Supporters:
Fearlessღ (Jill)
yagirlbee925 (Bee)
Less Than Perfect (Holden)
Jordyn1234567 (Jordyn)
justletmebreathe (Carol)
amble (Amber)
vivizanessafan (Vivi)
CHAD_Major (Marilyn)
nyychick2 (Molly)
Rachael_Sue (Rachael)
bestwriter101 (Izzy)
LiLKC (Kirstie)
PelMel (Mel)
liv3inlov3 (Alexia)
kikkokalabud (Kiko)
chay (Chay)
cookie~monster (Erin)
misskristen (Kristen)
Miss Fate (Gladys)
coveredinrain (Em)
heat. (Heather)
kebarrera (Kaitlyn)
baby.love (Sam)
M-Chel (Chel)
zanessafan<3 (Kate)
bokayjunkie (Nikka)
ssonfire (Steph)
kat1estone (Kate)
pluckedfromoblivion (Arlene)
riia (Riia)
rambeezy (Riley)
blackgreywhite (Kat/ani!Kat)
tyubi (Tugba)
ღButterfly Kiss (Meltem)
bettybaby (Betty)
WhereverYouAre_ (Tamy)
liv_91 (Liv)
missbecks (Becky)
j_acidburn (Jan)
Release_Meღ (Lucy)
Sophia0310 (Sophia)
-.mel.mel.- (Melissa)
*-LaLis-* (Lais)
jo"zanessa" (Jo)
Fly_high (Naomi)
Lee.
honeyitsyoursx3 (Sherri)
dalia03 (Dalia)
dreamingoutloud (Tay)
rosysummy
*~Sophia~* (Sophia)
meg25 (Meg)
hollywood1985 (Esther)
Zac Efron's # 1 fan (Bradley)
gigi0315 (Gigi)
jojo1507<3 ZV (Julia)
naomikathryn. (Naomi)
Ellie Cameron (Kasey)
scabbyabby (Abby)
Whitney86 (Whitney)
Andryya
zanessa32
Thunderstorm (Tamara)
CarolineS (Caroline)
obsessedwithagron (Nadia)
sunnycouger (Marianne)
Mia_Montez
Future Titles:
Because Alex has "beautiful woman" to play against.
Because they're saving Alex as the 'Beast' as a surprise for Vanessa
"We've been having a really good time, we're just starting off right now, but it's fun."
"It's really become such a nice set to be on, && everyone is so friendly"
"It's a very young-vibe, && we're all having a lot of fun."
"I've fallen in love with this place - I don't want to leave."
"It's just a great atmosphere, I don't know if there's a better place to film than here in Montreal."
"..word from the set is that everything has been running smoothly.
"It definitely is a step towards basically playing different things"
"She has been really excited about showing other parts of her acting ability"
"She has this fiery inside that comes out when she's tested."
"She's kind of a ball of fire," said Cartsonis. She seemed most perfect for the part."
".. my character gets herself in extremely awkward situations."
"What can I say? I'm substance over style."
"This was the most important thing to me, that Lindy would be a normal, middle class, smart girl, and she nailed it."
"I was only familiar with Vanessa Hudgens from HSM, but between what I watched a few weeks ago, and also, getting to see her in action on the set, I can tell she's a real pro."
".. between what I watched a few weeks ago, & also, getting to see her in action on the set, I can tell she's a real pro."
"You must think about her. See who she really is"
"Lindy's coming... I need smart things to say" "Good luck with that"
"Pretty gruesome huh?" "I've seen worse"
"I'm not trying to buy her" "You are, and she'll hate that"
"Working on Beastly was incredible. We had so much fun"

Previous Threads
01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Reminder that we can not use production stills from the movie as icons. You can post them in this thread, but in this thread only.

Kristen // icon

Last edited by misskristen; 01-14-2011 at 12:48 PM
Old 01-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for opening, Kristen!!!!

This is amazing!!!!....and Vanessa will be able to promote both movies properly.....wooohooo!!!!!...I'm so happy right now!!!

and according to SARA from TH...these are the movies Beastly will be competing now

1- The Adjustment Bureau : Matt Damon and Emily Blunt
2- Apollo 18
3- Rango : Johnny Depp
4- Take Me Home Tonight : Topher Grace and Anna Faris
Old 01-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Elite Fan

I have not problem with it

&& those other movies don't seem too bad... they all appeal to different demographics
Marilyn
Old 01-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for opening Kristen! Guess you can change the release date in the OP now.

I was hoping we'd be getting a new movie poster, and then I released the poster says "March 2011."

But it's a good thing that V will be able to promote this movie properly too!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Master Fan

I'm so excited
So happy that V will be able to promote both movies now
Old 01-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Alex Pettyfer and Vanessa Hudgens' 'Beastly' gets another new release date

Once upon at time, CBS Films went into production on the second picture in their short history, "Beastly." The modern day take on the classic "Beauty and the Beast" fable featured relatively unknown British actor Alex Pettyfer and "High School Musical" franchise star Vanessa Hudgens. That was way back in the summer of 2009. In fact, HitFix had a chance to visit the set and see what director Daniel Barnz ("Phoebe in Wonderland") was up to at the time. Originally, "Beastly" had a release date in July 2010. Then it got pushed to March 18, 2011 and now it's moved once again, to March 4, 2011. But, according to CBS Films, that's good news.

The fledgling CBS Division has released two other films since "Beastly" began shooting, "The Back-Up Plan" and "Faster," and is poised to open "The Mechanic" on Jan. 28. The initial delay in "Beastly's" opening was to try and capitalize on Pettyfer's growing starpower after February's "I Am Number Four" (which shot this past summer) and Hudgens' more adult work in Zack Snyder's "Sucker Punch." The latter will end up debuting after "Beastly" still, on March 26, but recent test screenings have given CBS Films hope the romantic drama could be their surprise success. The studio is also hoping it can get a bigger gross debuting against "The Adjustment Bureau," "Rango" and "Take Me Home Tonight" rather than facing the second weekend of Catherine Hardwicke's "Red Riding Hood" (March 11) which is targeting the same teenage girl demo. Then again, at a budget of just $18 million, hitting the profitability mark shouldn't be too difficult to pull off, should it?

"Beastly" is now slated to open nationwide on March 4, 2011.
Alex Pettyfer and Vanessa Hudgens Beastly gets another new release date - HitFix.com
Old 01-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the new thread and the news.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
CBS Films has moved Vanessa Hudgens-Alex Pettyfer vehicle "Beastly" forward two weeks to March 4 to give the romancer more time to play before the summer tentpoles open.
The studio had no comment but a source with knowledge of the situation said a recent test screening had generated positive response among the target audience of young females.
Pettyfer stars as a cursed New York teen in the modern spin on "Beauty and the Beast," with Hudgens as his love interest. "Beastly" had originally been set for release last July 30 but was pushed back to this year to help give the pic a higher profile and attract more licensees.

The March 4 slot's occupied by Paramount's animated "Rango," Universal's thriller "The Adjustment Bureau" and Realtivity's comdey-drama "Take Me Home Tonight." March 18 openers include Lionsgate's drama "The Lincoln Lawyer," Uni's comedy "Paul" and Relativity's suspenser "Limitless."
CBS moves up 'Beastly' release - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety
Old 01-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's positive. Let's hope they kick up the promo into high gear now.

Molly.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Master Fan

I have to admit that I got irritated the first time I read that they're changing the playdate AGAIN. I mean, this fickle and indecisive behaviour has got to stop!!!

But then I read your opinions, and I'm a bit enlightened and agree, that all things considered, this move is all for the better
Old 01-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Loyal Fan

I really like the NEW RELEASE DATE! It got me so EXCITED!

Now I understand why on the LATEST trailer, they didn't show the date it's going to be released (March 18) and in the COMMERCIALS too. They always say in theaters "this MARCH."

I guess CBS were discussing a new release date BEHIND THE SCENES.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the new thread Kristen!

Soo excited that it'll be released earlier now! Lets just cross our fingers that this is the last time they change the date!

PS. Wasn't this film going to come out on the same day as The Adjustment Bureau last July? Ironic they've both got the same release again.

» Steve Rogers ♥ Natasha Romanoff
Old 01-14-2011, 02:41 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It was actually, Glads! That's weird that it's happened like that.

MG I was annoyed with the date change too. But at least this time the date change is in an okay time span, and they don't have to change the posters and commercials and whatnot.

The new date simply means that they have to work a bit faster to promote the movie. I think V will be glad about having more time.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It was. And I kinda thought AB looked interesting too. Beastly wins though.

I think the major competition will be Rango, cause well kids movies have been doing well in the box office lately. We'll have to see what promotion works out though.

Hopefully CBS kicks it up, cause I wouldn't mind seeing Beastly promos all over tv.

Molly.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Haha love the title!

So what does it mean for the other countries? Will it be 2 weeks earlier for those too?

Vanessa | Tumblr | Meltem