Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-21-2013, 03:25 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Candy (Spring Breakers S&S) #12 ~ Because now that the trailer is out, we wish we'd have "Spring Break forever"

Welcome To The
Spring Breakers
Spoilers & Speculation Thread

Cast
Vanessa Hudgens - Candy
Selena Gomez - Faith
Ashley Benson - Brit
Rachel Korine - Cotty
Heather Morris
James Franco

Harmony Korine - Director

Brit, Candy, Cotty, and Faith have been best friends since grade school. They live together in a boring college dorm and are hungry for adventure.
All they have to do is save enough money for spring break to get their shot at having some real fun. A serendipitous encounter with rapper "Alien"
promises to provide the girls with all the thrill and excitement they could hope for. With the encouragement of their new friend, it soon becomes unclear
how far the girls are willing to go to experience a spring break they will never forget.

Four sexy college girls plan to fund their spring break getaway by burglarizing a fast food shack. But that’s only the beginning. During a night of partying, the girls hit a roadblock when they are arrested on drug charges. Hung over and clad only in bikinis, the girls appear before a judge but are bailed out unexpectedly by Alien (James Franco), an infamous local thug who takes them under his wing and leads them on the wildest spring break trip in history. Rough on the outside but with a soft spot inside, Alien wins over the hearts of the young spring breakers, and leads them on a spring break they never could have imagined.

----------------

xxx

-------------

Upcoming events:

1/31 - Premiere magazine special
1/31 - 2/2 - Göteborg Film Festival
2/18 - Paris Premiere
2/18 - Le Grande Journal Appearace
2/19 - Berlin Premiere
2/21 - Madrid Premiere
3/10 - SXSW Premiere and Party (Second Screening, 3/14)
3/11 - SXSW Conference
3/15 - LA & NYC Release
3/22 - US Nationwide Release

Quote:
PROGRAMMER'S NOTE

The overly bright sunshine begins to hurt your eyes. The semi-nude bodies grind in a tequila-fuelled haze. A waft of violence floats through the atmosphere until it dominates the scene, aware of its hold on everything and everyone. You feel all-powerful and totally alone. This is spring break in Florida, captured through the transformative lens of Harmony Korine’s imagination.

Korine’s impressive canon of films poetically chronicles the minor heroics and self-aggran-dizing intensity of marginalians, unseen, ignored and dismissed by a willfully ignorant world. In Spring Breakers, his attention turns to four female co-eds (Ashley Benson, Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens and Rachel Korine) in an unnamed college town. Desperate to hit the beach, but flat broke, they rob a coffee shop with fake weapons, steal a car, head south and start to party hard. Their fun gets rudely interrupted when the cops bust into their apartment and find things young girls should not be enjoying. Locked up with no bail money, they despair until a local petty gangster (James Franco) springs them. Two of the girls stay with him as his entourage and, ultimately, his hitmen; while the other two drop out, exhausted, disoriented and longing to experience that rush of freedom one more time.

Spring Breakers is Korine’s first film since Mister Lonely to feature professional actors. He challenges his impressive young cast in unexpected ways, with long, seemingly improvised takes and a demand for shifting tones of sweetness and menace.

The film lands on the more narratively linear end of Korine’s career and has moments that recall each of his previous films, especially the virtuosic tableaux of Gummo and the agonizing desperation of Mister Lonely. But Spring Breakers also brings a few new tricks to the table, including remarkable shifts in mood and a breathtaking cinematographic confidence; there are signature moments of montage in this film that will influence generations to come.

Harmony Korine thinks in pictures that no one else could even dream up.

Noah Cowan

Quote:
Spring Breakers: interview with Vanessa Hudgens

Vanessa, were you familiar with Harmony Korine’s work before you were cast in Spring Breakers?

I feel like I knew a little bit. Harmony worked with one of my manager’s other clients on Kids, and that was one of my dad’s favorite movies. When this came along, he was really excited. I think James Franco was already attached, and then I read the script and I’m such a big fan of his. I’m a real believer in putting things out in the universe, and eventually if you want it bad enough it all happens. For months I was saying, I want to work with James Franco over and over again, and when this came up, I thought “We need to make this happen!”

Were the other actresses attached to the project at that point?

No. There was no one else attached. We were just figuring out the characters. I was like, I’m really just excited about the project and don’t care which character I play. Then he made me read for Candy and the next time he had me come in again and do a few reads with a few girls.

You needed to find the perfect partners in crime for your part. The relationships in the movie are such strong bonds girlfriends who have been best friends since childhood. It is such an amazing connection that females have, it’s unlike anything else. In order to show it on film, we needed to establish a connection. At that point I heard about Ashley Benson, who came on board as well. I actually used to go to acting class with Ashley, when I was 15 or 16. We were in the same class but our paths in life had been completely different. We never really got to know each other at all. And it’s so funny now, coming back to that and being able to dig into each other’s past. It’s a small world.

Do you remember what you thought the first time you read the script, the feelings it triggered? It’s not the kind of movie that we would expect you to be part of…

Recently, I’ve been doing a few projects that are way darker and deeper and heavier. Reading these situations in the movie where our characters go wild that harsh, hard element was something that I really liked. I felt like I would be a little bit in my element, like I’ve had a taste of it. It’s so much fun and I wanted more of it. And Candy seems like the one who even though she’s bad-ass and tough and hard, she still has that sweet fun side underneath it all, this bubbling little girl, just so excited about everything, and I feel like that’s partly who I am. Under this deep, dark and heavy character, inside of myself, I’m just jumping for joy at the fun that I’m having.

How did you prepare for this role?

It starts, honestly, just reading the script. One of the first things we did was to get close to the girls right away, because we wanted to build an amazing bond and relationship, and create a sense that we had known each other for years. And then go further past that, of course, and study girls who are just hard and rough and tough and who are in this other drug-like world. It really is a completely different world, their headspaces are so different. They’re just living in the moment.

How do you think the character got to the point where she gets arrested? What kind of background do you think she is from?

I think our characters just do whatever they need to do to get what they want. As women, they know that they’re hot and empowered, and they know that if they’re tough enough and they act like they know what they’re doing then people will believe them. Together as a crew, they know they can conquer the world and get whatever they want. And the only way they know how to get to spring break is to rob a bank.

(...)

The wardrobe and costumes seem to be such an important aspect of the movie. Were you involved in the creation of them?
Heidi Bivens had an amazing idea about how she wanted it to look. It’s really like pop art. All our costumes are so bright and really in-your-face, a lot of fun graphics that contradict the way that we act, which is such a funny spin on things because we are getting ****ed up and are wearing Hello Kitty. It’s a funny spin on how youth nowadays can be doing things that are really crazy, and at the same time having interests that are so pure. It’s such a present mindframe, I feel, just not thinking about the future. This is how our characters are. They just don’t think about the future, they are just doing what they feel is right. Their interests are all over the place.

(...)

In the movie you have a love scene with him. Do you think your character fell in love with him?

For sure! It’s probably not the purest of places, but it’s this tainted idea of what love and fame and fortune is. The characters are so wrapped up with the idea of being the biggest and the baddest and the hardest. He really supports it and motivates us to be the hardest and baddest we can be. Probably like a first love.

Drug induced, and it’s all about sex, and money, and bitches, and hoes, it’s love and it’s tough and it’s hard. That’s what our characters are about.

So what’s your favorite scene so far?

I don’t know. It’s all been such a crazy whirlwind blur that everything is kind of falling together in this mad, wild, dream-like state. I think that the part I enjoyed most is the robberies, where we get to be tough, fun girls living in the moment. Robbing that restaurant was pretty amazing, because it felt so real, because we did it from the beginning to the end. Ashley and I felt so hyped up, we were on such an adrenaline high. I literally rolled into the car and was just staring at the stars in the sky after all this madness. I was suddenly seeing such a serenity and connection to the universe, I was so in awe, my mind was blown. It was a moment I will never forget. This movie is so fun, it’s so crazy, it’s so vivid and alive, so in your face and juicy. I can’t wait to see it.

Spring Breakers: interview with Vanessa Hudgens�|�The Upcoming

Supporters
hollywood1985
Zac Efron's # 1 fan
vlbarnett
CHAD_Major
Full Hearts
Zanessa91
Less Than Perfect
go sox
Pini
Elif_ZV
minixoxmya
obthavariable
JustღBreathe
breakingfree88
misskristen
lovestonedx3
CarolineS
breathe you in
coinoperated_girl
Something Special
Kalaniakea
Mia_Montez
cookie~monster
Amaranthe
George_93
Thunderstorm
Lizzie♥Z&V
five items
BabiiVFanForeva
taysgurl

Future Thread Titles
I think [Selena and Vanessa are] great, terrific, awesome.
I thought [Selena and Vanessa would] be perfect. They’re exactly who I wanted.
"There are signature moments of montage in this film that will influence generations to come."
"Spring Breakers also brings a few new tricks to the table, including remarkable shifts in mood and a breathtaking cinematographic confidence."
"Spring Breakers screening has the longest line in Venice this year."
"Spring Breakers is brilliant! Edgy, refreshing, a thriller fantasy with a twist!"
"Spring Breakers gaudy, woozy, compelling; wildest film in competition."
"Vanessa Hudgens, in particular, steals the show: the former good girl from High School Musical plays darkest and most insane."
"Spring Breakers is visually ravishing."
"The cinematography is superb and the performances from the actors outstanding."
"The performances by the four BFFs are outstanding and very courageous."
HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to Harmony Korrine & the amazing cast of #SpringBreakers. I LOVED IT. A new classic. - Eli Roth
"I do think that Spring Breakers will make millions on DVD and is likely to cause aneurysms and heart attacks at the MPAA screening."
"Spring Breakers was absolutely ridiculous and absurd but it's also Harmony Korine's best movie since Julien Donkey-boy."
"Spring Breakers successfully rips party/youth culture a new one."
While we're on the subject of celebs making art, props to Franco, Hudgens and Gomez for owning the skeeze of Spring Breakers.
"Most films are "arty" in a bad way, ie boring. Spring Breakers is arty in a good way, exploitative and paced like a bullet."
"It even manages to make something out of Hudgens, who heads to the basement of her usually vacuous screen persona, lifts a trap door, and descends even further into a nihilistic, ****-it, charismatic kind of place. She may be the real deal, ya'll."
"She has VASTLY improved! Everyone is talking about her performance."
"Solid performances from everyone, but it's V, Ashley, and James movie. Absolute ****ing scene stealers."
"Truly, this is a career-defining role for Vanessa Hudgens."

Previous Threads
.01 .02 .03 .04 .05
.06 .07 .08 .09 .10

Last edited by Less Than Perfect; 02-15-2013 at 01:32 AM
Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 AM
Loyal Fan

TFTNT Holden!

I still everytime I see the TIFF pic in the OP of them from the back and see the Selena/V/Ashley butt grabbing.
"They were the youngest team to win Olympic gold, they have two world titles and a body of work which pushed the boundaries of ice dancing, but what we'll remember most is how we felt when we watched them skate." - NBC Commentator on Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir <3

Deb | icon by Elif_ZV
Old 01-21-2013, 03:37 AM
Fan Forum Legend

No probs Deb! Thanks for the title!

Now I can't stop laughing over it!

Not sure if other people are still getting it, but as soon as I figure out which picture it is creating the malware issue I'll update it and hopefully it'll go away.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the new thread
~ Vanessa Hudgens ~
Old 01-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Moderator Support Team

Okay I've officially watched the trailer like 20 times now. I'm already obsessed for this movie. I seriously can't wait to see this; it looks freaking amazing.
S T A R D U S T
Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

tftnt!

soo HOT!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Moderator Support Team

^ Damn Vanessa.
S T A R D U S T
Old 01-22-2013, 03:05 AM
Extreme Fan

Thanks for the new thread

I don't if I have said this, but last week's most watched trailer at the swedish movie site Moviezine.se was the trailer for "Spring Breakers".
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Extreme Fan

Cant stop watching the trailer. Vanessa looks hot. Can't wait to see her and Ashley!

Paul Wesley & Phoebe Tonkin Thread http://www.fanforum.com/f354/paul-ph...mour-63134195/
~Ashley~
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Master Fan

better and better and better
Old 01-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Cant wait to see what else we're gonna get!
~ Vanessa Hudgens ~
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks Holds!

It's so fastpaced but I love it!

» Steve Rogers ♥ Natasha Romanoff
Old 01-23-2013, 12:23 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Former Disney princesses Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens behave badly - very badly - in the very first trailer for Harmony Korine's sure-to-be-controversial new film "Spring Breakers."

"Pretend like it's a video game," one of the jailbait hotties urges as she and her friends prepare to rob a restaurant (with the noble goal of financing a trip to Florida). Intentional or not, it's a timely bit of dialogue in this post-Newtown age.

The rest of the trailer indulges heartily in images of young women dancing in bikinis, young women shooting machine guns in bikinis, young women drinking and doing drugs in bikinis, and young women basically engaging in every other type of sordid activity you could possibly imagine (in bikinis).

Along for the ride is a cornrowed small-time criminal played by James Franco, who bails the girls out of jail in order to, you know, exploit them - an accusation many will almost certainly level at the filmmakers themselves.

If this hadn't been written and directed by Harmony Korine (who scripted Larry Clark's "Kids" before helming such envelope-pushing films as "Gummo" and "Trash Humpers"), all the flashy, titillating imagery on offer would've most likely been utilized in service of a sordid (and ultimately empty) cautionary tale, but underneath the Skrillex-led soundtrack and tanned nubile bodies on display I suspect the long-time provocateur has a whole lot more on his mind here.

My grade for the trailer: A+.
Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens come fully loaded in Spring Breakers trailer: Watch
Old 01-23-2013, 03:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

Me likey!!!

The part where they discribe the trailer cracks me up all the 'in bikinis'
~ Vanessa Hudgens ~
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thats awesome