Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Fan Forum Star

I don't have time to watch it now, but thanks for posting! I'll check it out later!

» Steve Rogers ♥ Natasha Romanoff
Old 12-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Fate (View Post)
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc505/Writ3r103/Animations/Wildcats%20Misc/tumblr_ljf2sjjsKM1qfqsmso1_500.gif
Wow this girl was really Kicking some Butt loved this movie all the way.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
2011 year-end wrap-up part I - The Underrated.

This is the first of several year-end wrap essays detailing the year in film. First up, here are ten films that qualify as 'underrated'. Some of them are good, if not great films, that were unfairly maligned. Others were mediocrities that nonetheless did not deserve the level of scorn which they received and/or had content that was worth pointing out and praising within the flawed final product. As always, they are in alphabetical order, with one special mention at the end for the 'most underrated film of 2011'. I'm sure anyone who has been reading me this year can guess which film that is...

And the most underrated film of the year...

Sucker Punch (review, essay, essay)
Flawed and compromised as it is, Zack Snyder's angry feminist action fantasy is a brutally critical look at how culture (especially geek culture) accepts wanton misogyny against half the planet as a matter of course. It dares to ask whether it is even possible to have empowered females in action/fantasy films, since the very image of attractive women doing action is so often judged as titillating whether it is or not. The sheer willingness of so many critics to ignore the painfully obvious subtext and focus not on the movie itself but arguably the way in which it was advertised showed a shocking lack of even token effort on the part of the very people who are supposed to dissect cinema and/or look below the surface. It is the very thing we say we want in our blockbuster films - Imaginative and original fantasies that offer real ideas and potent criticisms of social norms while also containing a flurry of jaw-popping cinematic eye-candy. Hell, even if you don't want to give Snyder credit for the subtext, he has given us three of the best action sequences of the year, all edited for maximum clarity and larger-than-life opulence. Sucker Punch is what we say we want, and the fact that we so brutally and thoughtlessly rejected it sends a dangerous message to those who would add a little nutrition to our cinematic candy corn.

And that's a wrap. What were your picks for the year's most underrated films, and what are your thoughts on my personal choices? Next up, the 'overrated' list, where I basically tell you why movies you thought were great were actually not that great if not outright terrible. Yes, it's a somewhat arbitrary task, but so be it.
Mendelson's Memos: 2011 year-end wrap-up part I - The Underrated.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for that link!

UGHH, could not agree more! Seriously it's depressing knowing how this film was just swept under the run by SO many!

Old 12-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It really is.

I'm glad that guy can appreciate it!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Master Fan

Yeah, it's definitely fitting to be called an underrated movie. The only other movie I see as being truly underrated in the fullest form is "Meet Joe Black." At least SP will have its place among hard-core fans, and it'll always be viewed, whether in a good way or bad way, as Zack Snyder's personal opus, but MJB does not get a tiny amount of the respect it deserves, not even from Brad Pitt. I really love that movie so much, and I truly believe it's one of the best of all time, and it being called anything less is not giving it its proper credit in my opinion.

So some of my cousins - who were already at our house for a Christmas brunch and dinner - wanted to give me the Christmas present of finally watching "Sucker Punch" for the first time and watching it with me. And these are all cousins from only one of my uncles. They're all older with spouses or fiances, so it was a large group, and since my sister was also watching, it was an even number of men and women. So I go through the trouble of moving the HDTV from a bedroom to the living room, and I set up the surround speakers and the Blu-ray player all nice and right, and I play it so we can all watch it together. Halfway through, half of them were asleep, there were quite a few interruptions with people entering and leaving the living room, a couple phones went off, and not one of the cousins understood the movie. Even without their lack of attention, I seriously doubt they have the right kind of brain for that kind of movie. Meanwhile, me and my sister are crying by the end, and only one person, who's not even family but is about to become an in-law, said that she actually understood that there was a lot of symbolism to it. All I could think about the whole thing was, "Way to make me feel like an anomaly to the family I'd already felt that enough, and now it's been driven home "

They're lucky I haven't bought "The Tree of Life" yet, or I would've shown that to them right after just to punish them and make them feel dumber

"Sucker Punch" is the love of my life and "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" is the reason I live
Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

That sucks OB! I hate when there are so many distractions and people not paying proper attention, especially for a film I'm uber in love with. But you tried; maybe some will watch it again one day and get a better understanding of it.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, let's hope so...

The movie was one of the most searched in Yahoo Movies this year! At least it has that to be proud of. It beat out other supposedly more popular movies, like Captain America and Pirates 4. So even if it's got a polarizing reputation, at least it got searched and talked about a lot...

2011 Year in Review: Most Searched for Films - Photo Gallery on Yahoo! Movies

And in a different list of better or worse reputation, it was one of the most pirated movies of the year

'Fast Five,' 'Hangover II' Among Most-Pirated Movies in 2011 - Yahoo! Movies

"Sucker Punch" is the love of my life and "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" is the reason I live
Old 12-29-2011, 04:36 AM
Fan Forum Legend

At least it means people are watching it?

Hopefully buying it at some stage too.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's great, thanks for the links!

Hurray for HP Part II being #1!

Old 12-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Elite Fan

Awesome Thanks for the Links and the news.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Old 12-31-2011, 06:36 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Than Perfect (View Post)
At least it means people are watching it?

Hopefully buying it at some stage too.
Yeah, you're right about that.

The only movies I dare watch online are the Oscar-nominated ones that I don't get to see in theaters.

I don't think Blondie would have broken down if she hadn't been the one Blue threatened earlier

Old 12-31-2011, 07:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Blondie did get threatened a lot more than the others did. And more physically too.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Master Fan

Great tumblr for GIFs

sucker punch gifs