Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm pretty sure Sp will be in SNL on march 17.

DEREK: "And just for the record? I am your knight in shining whatever."
Old 03-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_of_Hearts (View Post)
I'm pretty sure Sp will be in SNL on march 17.
Thank you for the reminder!! we're all very excited! Can't wait!
Old 03-14-2007, 04:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Some more news:

Quote:
Carrie Underwood is returning to live TV later this month as the musical guest on "Saturday Night Live." Underwood will perform on the March 24 episode, hosted by Super Bowl MVP Peyton Manning, while Snow Patrol will play on Saturday's show, hosted by Julia Louis-Dreyfus. ...
Quote:

On June 12th, Warner Bros. Records in the United States, in conjunction with Amnesty International USA (AIUSA), will release "Instant Karma: The Campaign to Save Darfur" -- a CD of more than 20 iconic songs by John Lennon recorded by an array of best-selling artists, including Green Day, R.E.M., Christina Aguilera, Jack Johnson, and Snow Patrol, as well as Corinne Bailey Rae, Regina Spektor, The Postal Service, and many more. Additional singles from various artists will be released in the weeks leading up to June 12th. Proceeds will support Amnesty International, the world's largest grassroots human rights organization, and its campaign to focus attention and mobilize activism around the urgent catastrophe in Darfur, Sudan, and other human rights crises.

Supported by Yoko Ono, who has generously donated all music publishing royalties, the CD -- part of AI's global music activism project "Make Some Noise" -- aims to harness the power of Lennon's solo songbook to inspire a new generation of activists to stand up for human rights.

"Music has a special power to incite social change, and the songs of John Lennon inspire people to fight for justice and strive for peace like no other artist," says Larry Cox, executive director of Amnesty International USA (AIUSA). "With Yoko Ono's extraordinary gift, Amnesty International hopes to move the world closer to John's vision of global peace and justice. Almost 20 years ago, artists from around the world ignited awareness about human rights via Amnesty International's 'Human Rights Now!' tour. With 'Instant Karma: The Campaign to Save Darfur,' Amnesty International hopes to unleash a second wave of awareness coupled with activism at a time when it is so desperately needed."

"It's wonderful that, through this campaign, music that is so familiar to many people of my era will now be embraced by a whole new generation," says Yoko Ono. "John's music set out to inspire change, and in standing up for human rights, we really can make the world a better place."

The first single from the album will be a cover of "#9 Dream," from Lennon's 1974 album "Walls and Bridges," recorded by R.E.M. As forefathers of the alternative-rock movement, the Athens, Georgia, Grammy-winners have a long history of combining music and activism, having been involved with a host of political and humanitarian causes, both local and global, over the years. The recording of "#9 Dream" was recorded last September after the four original members of R.E.M. -- vocalist Michael Stipe, guitarist Peter Buck, bassist Mike Mills, and drummer Bill Berry -- were inducted into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. With Berry back on drums for this one recording, it marks the first time the four have been in the studio together since Berry retired from the band in 1997. The song will be delivered to radio on March 12th -- the same day R.E.M. is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It will be made available for sale as a digital download the following day.

Immediately following the March 12th release of the album's first single, Amnesty International USA will convene a series of events in its long-term advocacy on Darfur. More than 3,000 AIUSA groups will take part in AIUSA's ninth annual National Week of Student Action March 23rd - 30th. Additionally, the organization will convene: rallies and protests on March 30th outside the Chinese embassy in Washington, DC, and at the consulates nationwide, in an effort to pressure the Chinese government to use its considerable influence with the Sudanese government to admit U.N. peacekeepers; a national call-in week to Congress April 2nd - 6th; and lobbying meetings in Congressional districts across the country conducted by AIUSA-organized delegations April 9th - 13th.

"Instant Karma: The Campaign to Save Darfur" arrives nearly 20 years after AI's hugely successful worldwide "Human Rights Now!" Tour that celebrated the 40th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and introduced the idea of basic human rights protection to millions of people worldwide. The 1988 tour saw musicians including Bruce Springsteen, Sting, Peter Gabriel, Tracy Chapman, and Youssou N'Dour join together in a series of live performances. Hundreds of thousands of people filled stadiums and crowded into fields for concerts from South America to Eastern Europe and from Africa to Asia.

For more information about "Instant Karma: The Campaign to Save Darfur," the "Make Some Noise" project, and Amnesty International, please visit InstantKarma.org in the U.S. or Make Some Noise - Download music in support of Amnesty International outside the U.S.

AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL USA - INSTANT KARMA

Make Some Noise - Download music in support of Amnesty International

The Official Warner Bros. Records Website

Source: "Instant Karma: The Campaign to Save Darfur" -- Featuring More Than 20 John Lennon Songs Recorded by Green Day, R.E.M., Christina Aguilera, Jack Johnson and More -- to Be Released June 12th on Warner Bros. Records: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
Old 03-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Master Fan

Thanks so much for the news. It's great that SP will be a part of the CD.

icon credit: miss-rebel86
Old 03-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thank you for the news, Karen. I admire how SP care about, and do something for, important causes like this one.

icon: Spike it up
Old 03-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's wonderful to hear, good on the boys.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

No problem guys Anytime

Quote:
Snow Patrol

The boys from Snow Patrol have come a long way from the days when they posed as members of the band Belle & Sebastian to infiltrate the student union club at the Glasgow School of Art. In fact, the indie darlings (from Glasgow by way of Dundee) are big fat stars — and they have prime time television to thank for that.

The quintet has been a phenom across the pond since the release of Final Straw in 2003. In fact, the band has been around in some form since the mid-Nineties, and has produced four LPs, all lauded by critics. But worldwide domination only came after they started landing catchy tunes on various American medical dramas. First it was "Chasing Cars" on Grey's Anatomy. Then the folks at ER used "Open Your Eyes" for their season finale. Not to be outdone, the producers of the new Irish mafia soap opera The Black Donnellys use the same song on their pilot. The net result is that you basically can't escape Snow Patrol if you own a television, which is why the band's most recent disc, Eyes Open, has gone multinational and multiplatinum.

The band gets tagged as Coldplay imitators, and it's true that singer Gary Lightbody tends toward lush melodies and melancholy lyrics. But the band's arrangements are not quite so grandiose and far more surprising. After spending a year opening for U2, the members of Snow Patrol are glad to be headlining some American gigs of their own. The hope is that a few of the local fans might even know the words to the songs not on TV.

Miami - Music - Snow Patrol - miaminewtimes.com

Old 03-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Total Fan

Thanx for the article, Karen.

Although I've never really heard of SP being Coldplay imitators.

To me, they seem very different, alone Gary's voice and his lyrics...

Old 03-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

I can't really relate Coldplay and Snow Patrol either.. Their sound is different, because I'm not that much a fan of Coldplay and I truly love SP! If they were that much alike, I should love Coldplay as well

and no prob btw!

Old 03-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thank you for this article, Karen.

I like this line :

Quote:
you basically can't escape Snow Patrol if you own a television
I agree, Coldplay and Snow Patrol aren't that similar...for example, I saw part of a Coldplay concert on TV, and it was nothing like the SP concert I attended...I much prefer SP, too.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Total Fan

I definitely agree. SP and coldplay aren't alike at all. I do like Coldplay, but SP is much better
A storm approaches. It's still over the horizon, but there is lightening in the air. Are either of them aware of the gathering turbulence? Can they feel that crackle of electricity in the wind, or are they aware of only the power they generate between themselves?
Everything Happens Eventually
Old 03-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Master Fan

thanks for the news guys.. i love those write ups!

Don't forget, for those that get it, SNL Saturday!! SNOW PATROL!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the article, Karen

I have to say one could compare Coldplay and SP on first thought, but once you listen to more than one song it's obvious that they don't have that much in common.

It's so awesome to hear their songs on all kinds of shows - Grey's, The Black Donnellys, ER, Cold Case - way to go
Old 03-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love that so many shows are using their songs!

I believe OTH also used some of their songs, and Cassie mentioned that now Smallville has used "You Could Be Happy" on this week's episode.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:43 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for the article, Karen.

I like Coldplay but I'm a bigger SP fan.

icon credit: miss-rebel86