Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Elite Fan

New episode...today! This is so cool, our very first episode discussion on the new board!

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ok I am going to comment more tomorrow when I am not so tired but I got to say, Helo at the beginning, in bed and then when he pulled away the sheets I was like "oohhh!" and then when I saw he wasn't naked I was like "awww shucks"

but ooh la laaa
Old 02-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrItAll (View Post)
and then when he pulled away the sheets I was like "oohhh!" and then when I saw he wasn't naked I was like "awww shucks"
I was "HOT DAMN Helo!"

I really liked that we had a Helo-centric episode. It really helps to build his character and reinforce what we already know about him- his morality.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Banned

It was good to see Helo take center stage in this episode. I myself doubted if Helo was right or now. Of course I also knew that Helo was right in questioning it. I was very happy that Adama apologized for not listening to him sooner. Helo has held on to something that most people have lost during this "war"

The return of mind set Baltar! Roslin is getting too close. It is my fear that she will think Baltar is a cylon and try to have them killed. With any hope she will learn the truth and we will get an answer to the question of why they both see each other. Also, maybe she will lock them up together as some sort of experiment. Wouldn't it be interesting if while they were together their counterparts also interacted with each other?

For a min there I thought Dee was going to die and we were going to lose the hottest woman on the show. I am so glad that I was wrong.

All of this still makes me believe that Tigh is a Cylon. He again proves how much he dislikes the Cylons. I think all of that is a ploy to try and stop us from seeing the truth!
Old 02-12-2007, 02:11 AM
Elite Fan

Sounds like a good ep for Helo fans.

Can't wait to see it.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Elite Fan

Being a huge Helo fan, I loved this one. I was sooooo happy that he punched Tigh. He showed great restraint not kicking him. I'd have punched him at least 3 or 4 times.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Master Fan

Oh, I can't believe I forgot about that punch! That was amazing. I really didn't see it coming so it was a great surprise and I was happy that it happened. It's good to know Kara isn't the only one who can get in a good punch.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow (View Post)
Being a huge Helo fan, I loved this one. I was sooooo happy that he punched Tigh. He showed great restraint not kicking him. I'd have punched him at least 3 or 4 times.
Alan that's about right

Well, I just got done watching the episode on my PC...and I enjoyed it very much.
Before I start, I should warn you, I'm a big fan of Helo, Sharon & Helo, all together, so this episode was like a "dream come true". I remember in S2, when Lee had his episode that most of you didn't like...Black Market, and Kara has an episode or two every season, even Rosilyn had Epiphanies, I mean it's only fair. It's been a long time coming for us to get either a Helo centric episode.

I would overall give "The Woman King" out of 5 's

The Good: Lots of Tahmoh, who btw, hits it out of the park. I think that maybe the best performance he's ever given on the show to date. I believe aside from the small Laura & Tom Zerek scene, where it's setting up Baltar's trial, Tahmoh was in pretty much every scene. I guess it also gives some rest to Jamie, Katie, Laura and Eddie, to not be so involved in every episode.

I enjoy watching the episodes that remind us of the "daily grind" on Galactica. It seems like some get too attatched to the space dog fights, the whole man vs. cylons and search for earth, that we forget the BSG crew are regular people. They have needs. They have refugees on board, there are real every day problems. So the realism of this show, is one of the things that keeps it grounded. I give the writer/s much credit for bringing us episodes like this one, to slow the show down a bit, and humanize our characters, flesh them out, give them the opportunity to shine. To me, Karl Agathon is the voice of reason, the voice of morality, of humanity, as far as the colonial officers go. Yes, I expect Bill Adama to be the leader, I expect Lee to do the right thing at least in his military duties!, but Helo does it right all the time. Yet he's not self righteous, as he was even doubting and questioning himself, in the brilliant scene with Grace, when he was having the nightmares.

I liked the little scene, where Racetrack was busting Helo's chops, as Lee and Kara and a few others were going out on CAP. It showed us how tight those characters are as a group, and the fact that we weren't going to be seeing much of Kara and Lee and they were actually doing something. So many shows caughs Smallville caughs don't do that when a character isn't in an episode much.

The fact that Helo was "demoted", or he felt that way is something I'm glad they addressed, although before it was jr. grade lt. ; then it became full lt. when he was doing the x/o functions in the CIC, and now they promoted him one rank above to captain. Basically he's promoted, but out of the CIC. I wonder how much did Tigh have to do with it

The plot was intriguing, great guest star casting again, Michael Rymer directed...and he's usually known for the bigger "event" episodes that he's done, but I'm glad he got to do a character driven episode, the cinematography was brilliant. I liked the camera movement, and the close ups of Tahmoh, Grace and the rest of the cast, it brings forth even more intensity and makes you feel like you are right there watching it live.

I loved, loved the scenes with Sharon and Karl, and baby Hera. Just seeing them together, caring about each other, fighting...the dialogue was excellent, esp. during their fight...and how sweet was Helo kissing baby Hera after her injection was administered by the racially motivated doc. The last scene as well was really a "happy moment"...with the whole Agathon family, I'll be hunting down that cap You don't get many happy endings on Galactica so I enjoy them and cherish them while they last

Grace and Tricia in their scene were fantastic, although Tricia didn't have a whole lot, it's kind of weird seeing Caprica Six in the cell where Sharon was for almost all of S2. I look forward to more Phantom Baltar in Six's mind for a change, it's a brilliant switch, and I loved it in "Download" S2. One of the best episodes of the show till date. Not surprised that Laura was watching and listening, and she maybe onto Six, seeing her act weird. If she sees Baltar do the same, and she has, I wonder if it'll make her think Baltar maybe a cylon?

BTW...what a great twist...phantom Baltar telling Caprica Six that she wants to be "human". Brilliant writting and delivery by James C.

The bar scene, were Dee, Lee, Helo, Racetrack and Tyrol were throwing the pyramid ball was a nice change of pace. I want more scenes like that, and Lee sticking up for Dee's people was good to see. Maybe he's turned the corner, although I noticed the look that Kara gave him when Lee/Dee kissed infront of her. Someone's not happy Loved the little comment racetrack said to the barkeep..."right now I'm picturing your face"

The scene where Adama, Saul and Cottell basically gained up on Helo was necessary and well done. I would have initially thought that Adama would have sided with Helo, but I was wrong. Still, the way he kept calm, when all he wanted to do was lash out...well he was calm, until Saul provoked him the hallway. So glad that Saul got punched, but he's a crazy old man, telling him to check his hand...does that hard a** military b-s really work? It kind of startled Helo a bit, but you can tell, that this isn't over. Saul has it in for Helo/Sharon. He did do the right thing, giving Helo the authority to arrest the racial doc at the end, but I have a feeling too, not that Saul is cylon, but that actually Ellen is.

What D'Anna said "I'm sorry I was so mean to you"...well there could have been plenty of chances for D'Anna to interact with Ellen on New Caprica. I guess if they ever bring back Kate Vernon, we'll know

One other awesome scene for me, was when Helo was trying to "revive"/"check up" on Dualla. How sweet was that, when he screamed out, b/c he really cares, and loves his crewmates. I mean think of what this crew has been through the last 2-3 years together? Of course you'll form close friendships and bonds, and you would do anything for each other. Helo showed us that, as he was willing to risk everything to save Dee's life.

The Bad: Not much here, overall a very strong episode, maybe to fans of Lee's or Kara's character this episode didn't do much, but every dog has it's day and it was Tahmoh's turn to shine as an actor.

The Ugly: Nothing to add in this category this week, oh the slow motion scene with people caughing the beginning was kind of gross, but undestandable why they included it.

Alex

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Master Fan

Not sure how I felt about the episode. While I love Helo, the set up seemed weird... oh, right there was no backstory other then what the previously told us. There had to be a better way to tell the story; I blame the writer(s). Also, I don't like that Helo is so golden. Yes, he does what he thinks is right... but that doesn't mean what he does is right or that it always turns out right. Gahh. Expand on his backstory, where he came from... how he became the man he is. Maybe how he and Kara became best friends. Gah, he didn't even get to spend much time with his daughter.

Also, not enough of the other characters. I don't recall if the other characters got pushed away for a singular characters episode or not, but I kept wondering where the other people were. LOVED Helo punching Tigh, more people need to hit him. Gaeta maybe.

Six/Baltar in the head was so great.

I also liked learning more about the other 11 planets. Caprica is nice, but it is also interesting to find out about the other 11 colonies and the customs/traditions etc. We only really now know some of 3 colonies (Caprica, Gemenon, Sagittaron), I hope they plan on expanding more on the other 9.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subject (View Post)
The return of mind set Baltar!

For a min there I thought Dee was going to die and we were going to lose the hottest woman on the show. I am so glad that I was wrong.
Now he looked good in that scene
I at Six kissing air

I was scared too!

Wow Alex... I am going to have to read that when I am more altert.

I love Helo and enjoyed the Helo centric eppy
Old 02-13-2007, 04:56 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Thought it was an ok episode, felt like a filler eppy to me

Good to see Helo and I did like the Helo/Sharon scenes , and like the confrontation between Helo and Tigh, although the last Tigh scene rocked. Balter in Six's head was cool
Old 02-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsmile (View Post)
Not sure how I felt about the episode. While I love Helo, the set up seemed weird... oh, right there was no backstory other then what the previously told us. There had to be a better way to tell the story; I blame the writer(s). Also, I don't like that Helo is so golden. Yes, he does what he thinks is right... but that doesn't mean what he does is right or that it always turns out right. Gahh. Expand on his backstory, where he came from... how he became the man he is. Maybe how he and Kara became best friends. Gah, he didn't even get to spend much time with his daughter.
I don't know that this episode portrayed Helo as golden. I mean, if he'd spent the whole episode raving about the doctor like a madman, and then been wrong, then how could his character have ever been taken seriously as an officer again? Plus, Helo has done some 'questionable' things because of what he thought was right. I mean, he killed a whole room full of Cylons because he didn't think that they should be used as biological warfare.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Elite Fan

Just in case, you people don't read the news thread you really should

Battlestar Renewed For Season 4

SCI FI Channel announced that it has renewed its Peabody-winning original series Battlestar Galactica, ordering 13 new episodes. Production will resume this summer in Vancouver, Canada, with an eye toward a January 2008 premiere.

The decision comes after the series' successful move to a new 10 p.m. timeslot on Sundays. Since moving, Battlestar Galactica's audience has grown over its third-season average by 8 percent in total viewers, by double digits in female viewers and by 19 percent in the show's target demographic of adults aged 18-49 and by 14 percent in adults 25-54. The Jan. 28 episode, "Taking a Break From All Your Worries," delivered 2.5 million total viewers and 1.6 million adults 18-49, the largest audience for any episode since the season-two premiere.

"We're thrilled to bring Battlestar back for another season," Mark Stern, SCI FI's executive vice president of programming, said in a statement. "This series has delivered on every level, from the writing to the acting to the production values. SCI FI is proud to be the home of the best show on television."

The series is from NBC Universal Television Studio and is executive-produced by Ronald D. Moore and David Eick. Its cast is led by Edward James Olmos, Mary McDonnell, Katee Sackhoff, Jamie Bamber, James Callis, Tricia Helfer and Grace Park. Battlestar recently returned with the second half of its third original season, immediately following SCI FI's newest original series, The Dresden Files.

"While we never had any doubt that SCI FI would get behind a fourth season of Battlestar, it's thrilling to finally make it official, and for Ron and I to continue using this great genre to investigate the darker corners of society, politics and humanity," executive producer David Eick said in a statement.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Addicted Fan

I loved it. We got some awesome scenes Helo/Athena and Helo and just about everyone else. I really enjoyed the entire thing...the shirtless Tahmoh parts didn't hurt any ;-)...but it was great to get further into this character's head. All the conflicts and things he can't back down from. Helo/Athena have their family, a routine and their a unit but they've got their problems and disagreements. The part(s) with Tigh (when he pushed Helo a little to hard and gets punched for his trouble and then when Tigh actually takes his side)

And yay on BSG's renewal :-)
Old 02-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

BSG is renewed! but a whole year for season 4
I'll be there.

I liked seeing the Agathon family unit, even when they were arguing.