Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Elite Fan

This is a very interesting article in the Sunday Times

Hugh talks about privacy (or the lack of privacy he has), depression, being famous and his album. It's definitely worth reading

credit goes to hughbunnies @ LJ (Britgan & mj1985)

“The ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ~ Steve Jobs
Icon

- Andi
Old 03-20-2011, 04:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Awesome! Thanks for posting.

The worst thing in your life may just contain the seeds for the best things to begin to grow.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Fan Forum Star

Just read it. Thanks for posting, Andi.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Elite Fan

YW. It makes me feel very sorry for him, reading this article. I want to hug him

“The ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ~ Steve Jobs
Icon

- Andi
Old 03-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
It is not the fate you would expect of the star of arguably the most popular TV show in the world, but Hugh Laurie has got the blues.

The British performer, 51, is the highest paid actor on US television for his role as Dr Gregory House in the medical drama series House. But to prepare for the release of his debut album as a recording artist, he was due to appear in a small New Orleans venue earlier this week for his first ever gig, with a crack band behind him – featuring the likes of local legend Allen Toussaint.

Guests in the specially invited audience included his old acting partner Stephen Fry.

Laurie, star of British TV series including A Bit of Fry and Laurie and the PG Wodehouse adaptation Jeeves and Wooster, says he is a lifelong fan of the blues, ever since hearing I Can't Quit You Baby by Willie Dixon as a child. "I'm embarrassed to say I don't recall where I was when I heard that John Lennon had been assassinated," he said recently, "but I do remember where I was when I heard Muddy Waters had died. I was driving down the A1 from Lincolnshire and had this awful, selfish reaction: 'Now I'll never get to see him play live'."

To satisfy his musical ambitions, Laurie recorded an album at Ocean Way studios in Los Angeles in September 2010, covering songs such as St James Infirmary. Guests on the record, titled Let Them Talk, include pianist Dr John, blues singer Irma Thomas and Sir Tom Jones. Laurie sings lead vocals and plays the piano and guitar.

"In my imagination New Orleans just straight hummed with music, romance, joy, despair," he said. "Its rhythms got into my gawky English frame and, at times, made me so happy and sad, I just didn't know what to do with myself. I love this music as authentically as I know how."

The producer of the record, singer-songwriter Joe Henry, said: "I'm sincere when I say I think people will be stunned, not just at how much time he's devoted to his musical life but how interesting his take on the music is."

Laurie has previously played guitar in different episodes of House and guested as a pianist on Meat Loaf's's 2010 album Hang Cool Teddy Bear following an appearance from the US rock star on the TV show. He also appeared in the music videos for the Kate Bush single Experiment IV in 1986 and the 1992 single Walking on Broken Glass by Annie Lennox.

Other actors to have embarked on musical careers include Woody Allen, Bruce Willis and Kevin Costner, as well as Scarlett Johansson and Juliette Lewis.

In 2009 Steve Martin revealed his love of old-time country music and released the album The Crow: New Songs for the Five-String Banjo, featuring appearances from Dolly Parton and Earl Scruggs. It won the comedy actor the Grammy Award for Best Bluegrass Album.

Anticipating criticism of his new career, Hugh Laurie added in a statement to accompany the release of Let Them Talk: "I was not born in Alabama in the 1890s. I've never eaten grits, cropped a share, or ridden a boxcar. I am a white, middle-class Englishman, openly trespassing on the music and myth of the American south. If that weren't bad enough, I'm also an actor: one of those pampered ninnies who can't find his way through an airport without a babysitter."

The album is released on 9 May. Laurie is billed to close the Cheltenham Jazz festival in May and a London date will also be announced.

Hugh Laurie has recorded the first live performance of material from Let Them Talk exclusively for guardian.co.uk. Three songs from this session will be broadcast live on the site at 16.00 GMT on 23 March.
source

Icon

- Andi
Old 03-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

That picture! Hugh and his music is a beautiful paring!!

Quote:
"I'm sincere when I say I think people will be stunned, not just at how much time he's devoted to his musical life but how interesting his take on the music is."

Hey. we've been saying this about him FOREVER!!!

The worst thing in your life may just contain the seeds for the best things to begin to grow.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Elite Fan

I just posted a vid in the music thread, you can clearly see the passion he has for this music

Icon

- Andi
Old 03-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

It's always been there, you could even see it in the skits!

Old 03-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_doc (View Post)
YW. It makes me feel very sorry for him, reading this article. I want to hug him
I know. It's really sad to read some things he says in the interview. It's not the first time we do but it's still hard to accept he thinks that kind of things of himself.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Elite Fan

Yes I just want to hug him But it's a very open interview, I don#t think he has been that honest in a long time.
Also, it makes me feel bad to look at paparazzi pics

Icon

- Andi
Old 03-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

Ah the evil paparazzi If they just change how they go about getting their pictures it'd be much better for everyone.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, I hate it when they are in their face like that, or creepy like hiding behind a bush or something

Icon

- Andi
Old 03-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

no reason for that. Hopefully one day it'll get better for him

Old 03-25-2011, 11:22 PM
Elite Fan

I hope so too, I think in London it's better for him, it's time he goes home for the summer!

Icon

- Andi
Old 03-26-2011, 04:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

Oh yeah, then Stan should make an appearence