Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013, 02:13 AM
Elite Fan

Zac Quotes #8 ~ "Some work despite the absence of fame. I have that now, that sense I'll keep working no matter what."

Zac Efron Quotes Thread #8

Fame/the Industry

These days, everyone is just waiting for me to **** up. I’m not gonna give anyone the satisfaction of that." (Details Magazine 2008)

"You always have to remember that bullies want to bring you down because you have something that they admire. Also, when you get made fun of-when people point out your weaknesses, it’s an opportunity for you to rise above."

"It’s been great. I grew up so far removed from this industry and so far away from L.A. I just fell in love with theater, and after being so focused on school my whole life and musical theater, specifically, being my creative outlet, I can’t believe that it has turned into something more than that. I’m grateful and thankful and amazed at how it’s all turned out. I’m still on the craziest ride of my life."

"I love the discussions online. They can pick out things in the movie that you’d never dreamed people would find out. I don’t go that often. I try not to because it can either give you a big head or tear you down."

"At first it was mostly kids who recognized me, […] The past 8 months it's completely turned around. It's been moms and dads.”

“Leonardo DiCaprio is someone whose career path I would love to emulate. The problem is there's not enough scripts about giant boats sinking that are immersed in a
love story. I can't find that script. I'm thinking of writing Titanic 2."

"You have to do your best every time, but after each audition you have to forget about it. You always have to be looking forward and not look back.”

"I'm not different at all then I've ever been. I don't know what changed." (BTS of HSM3 2008)

“A fan sent me a letter and a $10 bill. It's a short letter--all she said was, "Hey, since it's harder for you to go out these days without getting photographed, here $10 for a pizza." I was like, "Aww, she sent me money for a pizza so I could eat at home!" (Details Magazine 2008)

“Honestly, if the worst these people can say about me is that I'm gay, then I think I'll be fine. I can handle it.”

“I'll never try to put on a fake image. I'm just Zac.”

“I think if you're fame-hungry, go out to a nightclub and get drunk...why do that? I don't understand how some people would want fame so bad that they'd go out and get negative attention to earn it.”

“From day one, I got addicted to being on stage and getting the applause and laughter.”

"I'm still treading that fine line between celebrity and actor. I've learned it's going to be a difficult ride and it's going to be hard work. I'm trying to stay resolute here and try and just have fun."

"I would love to just sit down and talk with Leonardo DiCaprio and Johnny Depp and pick their brains about their early careers. They do it because they love it, not because they enjoy being famous. You have to have good foresight and be really careful. If you don't adapt and learn at a very young age, you can really mess up."

"Right now I couldn't be happier or more grateful that they take the time to show up and support this film in particular. It's an important one for me."

"The kind of work that I want to do and a lot of actors, good actors anyway, is constantly looking for a new challenge, a new character to play. A way to stretch and to grow and to switch it up constantly and that's really what Daniel did with Equus. He was ready for that, he was hungry for that,"

"Everything I've done in the past has felt very safe and it was great for awhile, but now I'm looking for a place to take chances. I want to play with things."

“There are a lot of young fans — they’re beautiful and they’re amazing — but it’s the moms that get absolutely crazy. There was one, I was at this signing and there were stairs you had to walk up and everyone was coming one at a time. There was this mom that was in a wheelchair and her daughter came up and got an autograph. And the mom was like, ‘I want one too,’ so she stands right up from the wheelchair and walks right up on stage. I was like, ‘Of course, you can have whatever you want.’ I signed like ten things for her and she walked back down, sat back in her wheelchair and rolled away.”

"I have a younger brother, Dylan. There have been a couple of times where I've been out with him and someone has said a couple of words to him that were not nice, and I've had words back. Bullying is one thing I hate in human nature. Personally if I had to deal with it, it never got to a situation where it could be considered bullying because I would find some clever way around it. I tend to make a joke. I defer everything with laughter. Even when it's blatantly disrespectful, I would just laugh it off, to avoid all confrontation, and I still use that on a daily basis."

"It's common sense. If you're gonna be drunk with your friends, don't do it at the Chateau Marmont and hook up with some famous chick. It's not rocket science." - GQ, 2009

"I'm always bobbing and weaving through through alleyways trying to get to meetings, scouting out and looking outside doors and running around like Jason Bourne. I've always loved secret agent movies, whether it be James Bond or Bourne Identity. Now I'm kind of living it." - EW, 2008

"I most admire Matt Damon, I just saw 'Rounders' and it just reminds me, Matt Damon is someone who I want to be. . . . I just want to make his smart choices."

A few months ago Efron was spotted sitting alongside Leonardo DiCaprio at a Los Angeles Lakers game."It was a complete fluke we sat next to each other, but it turned out to be the best thing that happened to me," he says. "Leo, for me, was the first time I ever recognized fame. I was in fifth grade when he was literally on every magazine cover for Titanic and all the girls had these Tigerbeat magazines and I'd say, 'Dude, what's so great about that kid?' I was jealous.I mean, you couldn't help but hate the guy. And now, to some degree, I've made it and I'm going through the same thing. But it was hard to talk to Leo that night because you're at a game and there's a million photographers and you're just trying to enjoy the game. He said a couple of small things but he suggested we talk outside of the game which I plan to take him up on. But it was a pretty weird encounter to meet this person whom I'd grown up hating, to now just completely loving his body of work. I mean, its pretty miraculous for him to have gone from that position to doing all the incredibly diverse films he does today. That's the kind of career I would like for myself."

We’re talking about Leonardo DiCaprio. They sat next to each other at a Lakers game not long ago. Floor seats.DiCaprio talked with his hand over his mouth, like a wiseguy trying to foil FBI lip-readers; Efron took his lead, covered his own mouth. They set up a lunch. He doesn’t want to get specific about how the lunch went, but when we ask if he got tips from DiCaprio about flipping his teen-idol stock, Efron says no, not really.“I thought I was gonna ask him questions,” Efron says. “He ended up asking me questions, and in that, he told me a lot. He said, ‘There’s one way that you can really **** this all up. Just do heroin.If you steer clear of that—the other obstacles you’ll be able to navigate.’ And that makes sense, dude.”

"[My parents], they're both pessimists. They'll give it to you real. They don't blow you up with excess confidence. I didn't grow up thinking I was the greatest kid in the world. And they completely believed that there was a one-in-a-billion chance I would ever be successful. And that was ingrained in the back of my head: I will fail. I'm going to fail. They managed my expectations. I was always prepared to fail. So it was kind of confusing when things started to work out." - GQ 2009

"I never half-ass anything. And every time I do, it always comes back to haunt me. Whatever I'm focused on is what I will succeed at. When I was in school, I told
myself I'd get good grades, and I got great grades. And when I started doing this - you learn. You can't help but recognize what the people that are better than you do. Every film is a challenge. You have to acquire new skills. You have to put your ass out there." - GQ 2009

“You know, I haven’t given an interview in ages... I feel ready to go. It’s good, because my perspective on everything changes on almost a daily basis.” He pauses and takes of his Ray-Bans, setting them on the table and tousling his tousled hair still further. “I take this stuff very seriously. It’s important to me.” ~ Nylon Magazine 09

“The face on the lunchbox and ***** – you can’t share that with your friends. You start talking about that, you start thinking about that at all, and it takes you out of reality. It’s never been real to me. None of it. I don’t buy into it. You can’t.”~ Nylon Magazine 09

“I’m not the next Tom Cruise, because there will never be another. I don’t want to go and copy Top Gun. Instead, I want to have the passion and dedication to accomplish what he accomplished. That said, hopefully, someday, somebody’ll say, ‘That kid’s the next Zac Efron.’” ~ Nylon Magazine 09

“I think it's all relative. I think you're kind of meant to do what you're meant to do. I don't think it (good looks) necessarily hurts or helps more than the other. It's me. I can't change it. I don't think about it, to be honest.” ~ Zac Efron 'almost too good looking' to land plum movie role

"I know why I started. And it's about creativity. Everything else is extraneous."

“I think I’m just smarter... I definitely am having fun, I’m living in LA, I’m 22, and I’m definitely living it up. But there’s a way to do it safely, privately, and just, I think, a lot less often than some of these people do.” (on life in LA - The Bert Show, Atlanta, July 13 2010 )

“That’s what happens to a lot of people, it’s not that they’re attention seeking they don’t ask for it, it’s just they’re caught my surprise. IT happens to me every day, on a daily basis, you didn’t see the guy in a gilly suit in the bushes.” (on the paparazzi - The Bert Show, Atlanta, July 13 2010 )

“When I was just coming into it... I didn’t know how to handle it, I had this sort of philosophy, live your life, keep doing what you do, who cares that they’re taking pictures and you can’t let that slow you down... I very very quickly learned that actually wasn’t working for me, there was a little bit too much.” (on paparazzi - Star 94, Atlanta, July 15 2010)

“Thank you so much everybody. I just want to say what an honor it is to be nominated with my contemporaries under 25, many who are friends that I love and respect very much. That’s a huge honor… Making movies right now is so crazy. There are all these ups and downs and you don’t know where you’re headed, but I say the best thing about it is the feeling of connection that I get from the fans…from you guys. That’s what this moment means to me. It is sublime.” (2011, People’s Choice Awards)

"Stop talking! I'm hanging out with my fans." (A random pap vid on the set of New Years’ Eve)

"My philosophy was that I would rather take a slow, hard route and try to make this transition with some integrity." (London Free Press, 2012

"I think if you play your cards right and do the work you can find a role that will separate you from your past.” (USA Today, 2012)

"I had a specific goal that I set to achieve which was, 'How do I get from where I was at professionally and sort of move on to more mature roles in a graceful way, without cashing in and keep my integrity?' " says Efron. "I feel like I've done that. This movie kind of marks that for me." (USA Today, 2012)

‘I was seeing so much of my face everywhere that I started to hate that guy,’ he admits. ‘It was over-saturation. And “heart-throb” isn’t tangible. When you earn that title... at best, it’s what? A fleeting thing. It all used to make me sad. I couldn’t handle it.’ (London Evening Standard, 2012)

‘You’ve got to be sleek, make smart, fast moves, hide and be discreet like a ninja.’ (London Evening Standard, 2012)

"I was afraid if I tried something else, I might not be accepted." He reflects, "And part of you feels like you're doing an injustice to the people who have been so loyal." (Marie Claire, 2012)

"The hardest thing was learning to be a professional even before I knew how to be a human being. My friends were in college having a raucous time, and suddenly there was this manufactured version of myself out there." (Marie Claire, 2012)

"Around the time Charlie St. Cloud came out, I was confused. I wasn't here for money; I didn't need any more of it. I wasn't here for fame; I wasn't enjoying it. I was here for art." (Blackbook, 2012)

"As a man watching Zac Efron, I don't necessarily like me yet. So how can I like Zac Efron? Maybe, if that guy shook things up, did what I didn't expect him to do, if he wasn't afraid to be a dick, if he wasn't afraid to fall on his face, if he hung around long enough and did the grunt work, one day I might respect him." (Blackbook, 2012)

“There are certain things fame has taught me,” he said. “To really appreciate my family, my fans. It’s the most important thing in the world, my fans. That’s why it’s so nice to be able to come out here and meet you guys. You’re the only good thing about fame—all of you. You put a smile on my face every time I see you.” (Penshoppe Fan Con – 2012)

“I’ve grown up. I’ve matured in a lot of ways but I still stick to my core values and my beliefs that I’ve had since the beginning, which is to be a good person first, work hard second and have fun third, in that order. That’s sort of my motto.” (Penshoppe Fan Con – 2012)

When asked how he wants to be remembered, he said, “Just that I was a good guy to be around.
I’ve never really been afraid of failing because I always made sure I picked roles that helped me evolve as an actor. There has to be a sense of progression. But I would never want to compromise. I am more afraid to compromise than I am of failing.” (Penshoppe Fan Con – 2012)

On High School Musical: “But here’s the one thing about High School Musical, that a lot of people forget or don’t realize. It affected a lot of people, its resonance, culturally, was massive … and at the same time, it was in every sense of it, the luckiest break in the world. The wrong thing to do—and that’s what all these interviews now are trying to get me to say— is to turn on it, to like sh– on it, call it crap. But that’s insane. There are hundreds of people who began doing one thing when they were younger, who go on to develop and refine and shape their vision, as they get older, and other concerns—like fame, or money, take a back seat to other ones.” (Flaunt Interview – 2013)

“Fame is inherently uncomfortable. But I want it to be fun. It’s just something that you have to navigate carefully. There’s a way to do it with grace.” (Elle Magazine – 2013)

"I know I've been lucky. But it's what you do with that luck afterwards that really defines whether you stick around." (Zac, Backstage Magazine – 2012)

His Movies/Roles

"We shot High School Musical in eight weeks. I spent longer rehearsing for Hairspray than filming High School Musical. Basically playing down his future in the show, claiming that it isn’t important, and his modesty will, in his opinion surely, lead him to bigger and better things."

"Wow...ehm...thank you very much for the award. I can't believe I was actually nominated for this. It's crazy. Ehm, the other nominees; congratulations, you all had breakthrough performances this year, so thank you for those. Thanks very much. Ehm, really quickly...I guess I'd like to thank Toby Emmerick and all my friends at New Line. Thank you to the incredible cast and crew. Nikki Blonsky, thank you very much. [Nikki: I love you, Zaccy]. *chuckles* Thank you. I'd also like to thank Adam Shankman for being crazy enough to actually give me the role of Link Larkin, it's a big risk. Thank you very much. And ehm...yeah, that's it. Thanks MTV, thank you to the fans, without you guys I wouldn't break through anything. So thank you!!! (MTV Movie Awards 2008)

“Musicals are very different from other films. And as an actor, when you’re preparing for one, you train an entirely different skill set altogether. And as an audience member, I know the feeling I have when I leave a musical is unrivaled by any other type of film. I love watching things blow up, but it doesn’t really excite me -- and I can’t sing that on the way home. So, musicals are cool. They’re unique, and I’m glad that we’re doing more of them.”

“Being known for musicals is a great thing.”

"I'm the last person to think a kiss is going to corrupt any child. Kissing is a great thing."

"You can't really look at it as kissing in front of cameras, cause then it would just be weird.. ya know, you gotta make it as real as possible - for the character. Uhh.. && I felt like in HSM3, we earned it -smirks && starts blushing- ya know, we kinda deserved it. Senior year! You're allowed to kiss ya know?"

"I've gotten as far as the fifth or sixth callback on movies, but it is more than I could imagine to get the role in a film like this," Efron said. (About Hairspray)

"I've always been singing. Since day one. I started doing musical theater and you have to sing in musical theater and so that's where I got most of my training."

"Dude, I love the musical trend right now. It’s a dream project (about Hairspray). I feel like it’s a whole different skill set you get to prepare for a film. Like doing theater and that’s where I fell in love with entertaining, in musical theater. So, I’m always up for a good musical. Yeah."

"I think it’s impossible to bring up musicals without talking about the young generation. They’re definitely much more aware of musicals than previous generations. It’s great to be affiliated with feel-good movies, specifically musicals, that are making kids aware about music. Music was a huge part of my development - I watched every single animated Disney movie a hundred time over. I thought Cinderella was the coolest thing ever! Then for a while it was Power Rangers and Transformers, but I know those musicals meant so much to me when I was younger. And that’s the reason I can make musicals today with a straight face. They had a profound effect on me when I was young, and the idea that we are sharing that feeling with kids is surreal and very cool."

"I know I'll always be open to doing musicals. It's liberating. And not everyone else can do it. So there's an element of pride there too."

“Adam Shankman, who directed me in Hairspray, came up with the idea and he asked me about it. I was intimidated at first – I didn’t know what to think. I was scared to play a 37-year-old guy who’s pretending to be a 17-year-old because it was confusing. I couldn’t even wrap my own mind around it. It wasn’t just another high school romance.”

"You have to refrain. But I have to say, by the end, after doing it for a couple weeks of rehearsal, I feel pretty close to a Jedi master. I'm trying to be like Luke Skywalker. I was already a huge fan, I've always wanted to do a light-sabre fight, but what opportunity in life am I ever going to actually have to fight on screen with a light-sabre? Don't mess with me when I have my light-sabre."

“But when it actually happened, when we actually started filming, the closer I got to Leslie the easier it was. It felt very natural. I think I definitely have a crush on Leslie. She’s very sweet, very pretty and her personality shines.”

“At this point, they haven’t really talked to us yet, but I know that it’s an idea that they’re developing, and it sounds like fun…it sounds like a good idea.”~on HS2

"I've been a huge fan of Entourage for a long time. They do a lot of stuff that happens on a daily basis."

goes up to stage, collects surfboard, hugs Corbin, kisses and hugs Ashley, goes to microphone, runs hand through hair* "This is uh... this is very special to me guys, this is a huge honour. Um, thank you. Thank you so much to Warner Brothers for making this movie, thanks to Adam Shankman and Jen Gipgott for believing in me and putting me in this film; thank you Burr Steers for directing this movie. And uh, man, thank you you guys, I can't believe it. *Crowd cheers* The other nominees in this cateogry, you guys, I mean, I study you, this is like a dream come true to be in your club, thank you. And also I think I finally had a rock star moment. It took me twenty years but I finally did it. Thank you very much. And to all you guys, to all the rock stars out there - don't be afraid, seize the moment. Thank you all, have a good night, peace." ~2009 TCA Acceptance Speech

"I’m truly ready right now. I can’t wait, dude. I’m going to do something—something cool. Something people aren’t necessarily expecting.” - GQ, 2009

There came a day when Efron had to choose whether to finish Hairspray or go to college (he'd been accepted to USC and UCLA). Of course, he chose to finishing filming. "I still haven't lived it down", he says. "I'm gonna have to go sooner or later." ~Nylon Magazine 09

“There are three films in total, and I tell him that last night I watched them all, back-to-back. “Oh God, you must be hungover!” Efron says, laughing. ~Nylon Magazine 09

“That was how I felt, and I wanted to share that with the world: you don’t have to live inside the box,” Efron says. “Growing up and hearing that and believing that is the reason that I got here. That’s what High School Musical is about. And man, you should see the faces on the kids. It’s priceless, and I don’t look down on, or think badly about, those films. I have no regrets at all. I’m extremely proud of those movies, and will be forever.” ~Nylon Magazine 09

"As an actor I'm constantly looking for ways to branch out and try different things... you know, without it seeming arbitrary or not really being motivated, and this (MAOW) was the perfect project for me." ~CBS Washington Interview

"I like my pants pretty low on my waist -- I invest in nice boxers, you know? [laughs] It was the most fascinating feeling in the world to wear my pants buttoned at the belly button for the entire run of the film (MAOW)." ~ IFC Interview, November 2009

"That's what this movie (MAOW) is all about. Its a love letter to the theater."

“There’s no master plan,” he says. “I’m very strict about what scripts I want to read and so I suppose in that sense there’s some direction, but I would never stick to one type of film or anything like that. I’m very proud of the High School Musical films, and one day I might go back to that sort of film. At the moment I want to try new things, take on roles that present a challenge. But I never rule out doing another musical, or any kind of film as long as it’s interesting to me.”

Efron told USA Weekend last fall that he hopes his role in "Me and Orson Welles" puts him on the path to being the best actor he can be. "I'm definitely not the best actor in the world at this point," he said. "But hopefully, with time and effort and smart decisions, that will change."

“I think that working with Disney and doing those projects was the best possible project to this whole industry we have here.” (on High School Musical - NBC Philadelphia22 Interview, July 12 2010)

“The opportunity to play different characters, the people I don’t get to be in my life, but to experience things vicariously through these people is fun.” (Sonoran Living, July 15 2010)

“In terms of agility and strength I think it is important to stay fit for work; the kind of characters that I eventually want to be playing are the type of guys that get out into the world and do stuff, they’re not couch potatoes like I am.” (Q102 Philadelphia Interview, July 12 2010)

Q. You did the films "17 Again" and "Me and Orson Welles," and now you’re starting your own production company. Have you quit singing?
A. Right now, there are other adventures to have. I’m not ditching [singing]. I’m not embarrassed about it at all. I loved "High School Musical" and"Hairspray." They’re very close to my heart -- and the projects that made me fall in love with [this job]. As my taste in film evolves, though, I watch a certain director’s work and I can’t help but say, “Gosh, man, I want to be in one of these stories.” They’re meaningful for a different reason.

Q: And the erotic scenes with Taylor Schilling?*
A: "Well, since I am a virgin was in fact a challenge .. Joke, but part of me hates that scene because all the sets are very nervous. But with Taylor were at ease and eventually became one of my favorite scenes in the movie, because I did not have to memorize lines... " (A translated Italian interview)

“It was time to step out of my comfort zone,” Efron says. “I think each time in life that you confront your fears, you actually grow up a little bit." (The Jakarta Globe, 2012)

"My goal is to be in some really unforgettable movies. The kind that I watch that make me think for a few hours afterwards, or for a day; the ones that change your perspective.” (LATF The Magazine, 2012)

"As much as I love everything I've done, this is a new frontier for me," "It's incredibly fulfilling. It's a dream. Hopefully, I can keep doing things like this." "I don't think I was supposed to feel comfortable," "It's like life. This character is supposed to be learning the ways of the world, and that can be very uncomfortable. But it’s also exciting." (On The Paperboy, People.com Cannes Interview, 2012)

"It was everything you dreamed of." "She was such a lovely person. I pinched myself every day, especially after doing love scenes with Nicole Kidman. It was the highlight of my life." (Radar Online, 2012)

“I stand here with two roads in front of me,” he said, “One of them being the easy path – money – and the other one towards playing more interesting roles that I don’t have all the answers to. It seems like the choice I respect more. I really enjoy working on the type of film Ramin set out to make here. This is what I want to be doing – I’m hungry for it.” (AAP Promo, Venice Film Festival, 2012)

"Initially, I wondered if my character would even wear underwear at all. But that would’ve been a very different movie." (Advocate, 2012)

"All he required of me was that I be fearless, and that’s something I’m really working on right now in my career." (Advocate, 2012)

"It’s always interesting to delve into unexplored territory, and that (playing a gay character) would be a new avenue for me. I definitely wouldn’t be afraid." (Advocate, 2012)

“Zac was marvelous. He was pure and hungry and eager to please and anxious to deliver the performance that he did. I’m really proud of what he did. I think it’s his best work. Tell those little old ladies that were screaming in the theater to go watch The Lucky One. They’ll enjoy that.” (Lee Daniels – 2012)

"I didn't want him for the movie," "I just thought he was corny." "He auditioned and he was great," Daniels said. "He gave me his soul and I was like, 'Wow.'" (Lee Daniels – 2012)

About the jelly fish scene- "If you could have watched Zac's face," Daniels recounted, "He's supposed to be passed out and [while Kidman is urinating] he's just got this smile on his face. I'm like, 'Zac, pretend like you're dead!' And he's just got this crazy smile on his face. The whole thing's crazy." (Lee Daniels – 2012)

“I think the universe plays it exactly as it’s supposed to. I couldn’t be prouder of each of the actors in the film. They serviced Pete’s characters magnificently.” (Lee Daniels – 2012)

"I was so scared for Zac because he came from another world. Zac's a Disney boy. It wasn't really about the acting, as I thought I could get the actor out of him, but whether he had it in him to work in the environment that I create that ultimately makes the magic on the screen." (Lee Daniels – 2012)

"Continuing to distance himself from his origins as a pretty-boy teen idol, he (Efron) brings an intense, brooding stillness to the screen here, simmering with the frustrations of small-town entrapment," (The Hollywood Reporter's David Rooney - 2012)

"Every actor in this movie... they have a great body of work, all of them individually. In this movie they all went to places that I've never seen before. I was very, very inspired by that and just honored to be a part of it. I couldn't believe that I, of all people, was allowed to be amongst these guys." (Zac on The Paperboy cast - 2012)

"I might not be the greatest actor, but I walk in to every project willing to work hard. There are a lot of people who slide on talent their whole lives; they're just naturally gifted. I've never considered myself one of those people. I enjoy outworking the opposition." (Zac, Backstage Magazine – 2012)

"It's crucial for me to be finding roles that I don't necessarily have the answers to. I'm proud to say I was courageous enough to step into a part I didn't fully understand and followed by director blindly." (Zac, Backstage Magazine – 2012)

"The theme of the movie (AAP) is get big or get out. That's sort of the way I describe how a lot of people in Hollywood approach their careers - take the bigger movie for more money that people will see. Take the franchise, the part in your wheelhouse. But that's not my goal. Instead of get big or get out, my goal is to get good and stay." (Backstage Magazine – 2012)

"I think what makes this movie special is that each and every relationship and every part of this story is very real. It goes to the darkest place and then through that comes to some of the lightest, happiest places you’ve ever seen, but everything is grounded in the real crazy way that things are." (Zac on TPB to Wywiad do Filmu POKUSA – 2012)

"I sorta came in (to Paperboy) a blank slate, I’ve only done a few things and am still learning what it means to be an actor, and this cast was challenging me on all different sides, in all different ways." (Wywiad do Filmu POKUSA – 2012)

"It was definitely something different for me but I felt him, I felt this guy. It think he kind of represents our generation now, in a big way, but yeah it's kind of hard to play a rebellious son against Dennis cause I just wanted to high five him the whole time," (AAP - SXSW Film Festival – 2013)

“I think I appreciated Dean’s struggle and what he was going through,” Zac explained about his character in the movie . “He’s trying to divert from the pack. I believe that that’s our generation. I identified with it, I agreed with it.” (AAP - SXSW Film Festival – 2013)

On being asked about music, “But is music something you see yourself returning to in the future?” Zac replied, “Maybe. Music will always be a part of my life and my career to a certain extent and in a certain way. I would love, for instance, to do more Broadway, I’d love to do a musical on Broadway, I would love to do a musical movie .” (Penshoppe Fan Con – 2012)

Zac on the jelly fish scene with Nicole Kidman, "I was so excited to do it actually; you can kind of like, gauge how your career is going in certain moments, there's different chapters I think. As I mature, this was the pinnacle of my career so far - being peed on by an Oscar winner!" (Jimmy Kimmel – 2012)

Relationships/Women

"I think specifically relationships, it’s sacred ground. That’s something that needs to be between two people. Everyone else can get their noses out."

"I like when a girl knows what she looks like and dresses to accentuate those features."

"I think it’s fine for girls to ask boys out. I actually prefer it."

"I usually spend Valentines Day with my friends. But if I did have a girlfriend, I’d bring her flowers and candy."

"I like my peanut butter like I like my women.. chunky."

“You graduated last year! I love older women.. because of their experience.. academically, that is.” (Room Raiders 2005)

"Older women appreciate my eyes." (People Magazine 2007)

"I love girls who are happy and healthy with curves…What it comes down to, as cliché and as cheesy as it sounds, when a guy gets to seriously know a girl, the things
that he likes are much deeper, beyond the surface…The hard part is getting to know someone first. It's like there's some prerequisite with looks that should be abolished." (Boston Globe 2007)

“A girl can tell I like her when I blush or start telling bad jokes.”

“There's probably one instance I can think of when singing to a girl worked for me I've tried. As for dancing, you can't really go up to a girl and bust into a cool dance move.”

“I don't know if I believe in love at first sight, but of course I believe in two people having chemistry right away. A girl should be really easy to talk to. When I lose track of time because we've been talking, I think that's really fun.”

(when asked about his on-screen chemistry with Vanessa Hudgens in HSM) “At callbacks, it was a mix-and-match session. We were stuck together through the entire process. But at the time, we didn't know if it was chemistry or just they didn't like us or what was going on. I guess we noticed it from the beginning. I still don't know what it is...I think it's just...I don't know...she's fun.”

“You never know with teenage girls. It's funny. But they're always, most of the time they're pretty respectful, and I love 'em. I'm very grateful.“

"Don't try to swallow the person you're kissing by opening your mouth so wide! I've never experienced a washing-machine kiss, but I've heard about them. When girls rotate their tongues around your mouth like a washing-machine, that's not a good idea."

"Go easy and take your time. Be respectful of the other person and don't just get on in there and grope all over the place. My favorite kisses happen when I've taken it nice and slow."

Ben: We have a very special correspondent, she's 7 years old, for the Daily 10. Her name's Ashley Lipton...
Zac: Okay, cool
Ben: She wanted to know, you and your "lady friend," was it love at first sight?
Zac: Uhhhh...you know, I think in that environment, and what we were doing at that time in our lives, probably...I think it most definitely was.
Ben: Wow!
Zac: Yeah
Ben: And now that you guys are not wor...
Zac: I would never answer that for anybody except Ashley. That's for Ashley.
Ben: Ashley thank you for you help with doing my job.
Zac: Ashley good question. There you go!

E!: Are you romantic? Do you think it is really possible to love the first love for all your life?
Zac: I think that’s a positive thing to believe in, yeah. I’m optimistic.

Interviewer[/b]: “You can’t have a Zac Efron movie without romance, I’m sorry, you just can’t.” (Sonoran Living, July 15 2010)

"Bathe in pussy?" he repeats. "Yeah, everyone tells me that. I think a lot of guys would enjoy that. But I'm not really like that."
"Believe me," he says. "I rack my brain thinking, 'Why am I not out there playing the field?' One of my buddies was like, 'You have no idea what's going on right now. You're peaking on Ecstasy and you're watching TV.' But it's not in my heart." (Details, 2010)

"They want you to believe it, and they hope they'll influence you to break up by making you seem insane for being in it. And then you'll play the field, and then they can write about you a ****load, make **** up, and speculate about everything. Right now they know exactly what's going on and it's not very interesting and there's no money to be made on it. It's exactly how it should be. It's real." (Details, 2010)

Q: “What makes someone marriage material?”
A: “A sense of ambition and a sense of freedom, which is a careful mix. You have to balance those two. I haven't exactly found it yet.” (Men's Health, 2012)

"She's always giving me tips like that," he says. "My mom is the No. 1 person who has taught me to be courteous towards women, to always be respectful and polite to them, and to always lead with your heart." (People, 2012)

"I don't know where I am right now," He sighs, flopping back on the sofa. "I'm just focusing on the work. I can't go out looking - it never feels quite natural." (re. Dating, Marie Claire, 2012)

"Dating's kinda hard. I think dinner, or something like that, a forced awkward intimate situation is very strange, especially for me, for some reason." (Zac on Ellen talking about dating – 2012)

Friends

"Ashley's gotten more beautiful... but then again, so has Corbin." (GMA 2007)

Magazines I subscribe to: "M&F, GQ, Cargo and Pop Star- only cuz they have good posters of Jesse... JK DUDE!"

Amanda Bynes and I have become close since filming Hairspray. It's so weird because I grew up watching her.”

"She's one of my best friends and it's so unfortunate what happened to Nikki (Blonsky). And, um, I think everyone knows her pretty well...at this point...So I think everything's going to work out for the best."

"I'm so proud of them...I can't believe it....Its like my family up there."~ SAG Awards interview about CCA win for Best Cast Ensemble for Hairspray

“When the movie ends, you realize it's the start of a much bigger relationship, especially with Nikki [Blonsky] and Brittany [Snow]. We're very good friends."

Life Story: Who did you get closest to on the set? Who really became your friend?
Zac: It's tough, because I got to know all the cast in their own individual ways. I definitely had a great vibe with Nikki; I think she's an amazing girl and I think we'll be friends for years to come after doing this film together. Elijah as well - Elijah is just so much fun to be around and he's just a cool, cool guy. Everybody has their unique attributes they bring to the movie and also, you know, as people. So it was fun just getting to know everyone and what they are really like.

MTV: So you want to work with Vanessa again? Do you guys say like 'someday you wanna do it again?'
Zac: Sure. I mean I hope so - I think it's always great getting to work with your best friend!

Hearing DiCaprio was going to be honored as one of GQ’s Men of the Year, Efron showed up at the party. “He was the only reason I went,” he admits. “I thought maybe I’d get to shake his hand. No one had seen Leo, and I was walking out and he walked right by. I was all, ‘Oh, hey!’ And he turned around and right there I had the ‘in,’ and I was like, ‘I just want to shake your hand, dude, I’m a big fan….I’d love to sit down and talk with you sometime.’ And he goes, ‘Right on.’A few nights later, I was at a Lakers game and I texted him, and he said he was coming. And this guy in a ball cap and coat with the collar up sits next to me.We talked the whole game, and he was just everything I thought he would be: smart, levelheaded, charming, hilarious. You know, the older-brother vibe.” Efron shakes his head. “That sounds so cheesy.”

His Childhood

"In sixth grade, my basketball team made it to the league championships. In double overtime, with three seconds left, I rebounded the ball and passed it, to the wrong team! They scored at the buzzer and we lost the game. To this day, I still have nightmares!"

“I guess I just wasn't a kid who was worried about cool. I was like "Pop in Cinderella!"

Nikki Blonsky: “Nowhere. I learned I was not a dancer before Hairspray. So all the dancing you see in the movie, I just shook what my mama gave me.”
Zac : “My mama didn’t give me anything, so I just shook what I had.”

"I wish I could say I see my little brother more. We used to fight all the time but now that I don't see him very often I cherish the time I have with him."

"Dylan made me reach into a dark scary hole to look for a golf ball he accidentally threw in. When I put my hand down there, he screamed, "SNAAAAAAKE" at the top of his lungs. I almost passed out." [I](Zac Efron – the unauthorized biography)

"[My mom] was at Woodstock. She lived an exciting life. She still hasn't divulged all the details." - GQ, 2009

Efron isn’t embarrassed about High School Musical, by the way. He says if he had it all to do over again, he’d do another one for free. He does get embarrassed, though, when he starts explaining what it was like when acting finally did get in the way of his schoolwork, when he found himself torn between his ambitions as a performer and the life of a normal high school kid. “I was really ****ing confused,” he says. “This is so stupid, but it was kinda like…”
Say it!
“It was kinda like High School Musical.” - GQ, 2009

“It all started with music,” he says. “I was constantly singing. I would hear things on the radio and just be able to spit them out instantly, with perfect memorization and tone. It wasn’t like I took pride in it; there was no effort. My parents were like, ‘Shut up. Please stop singing. It’s annoying.’” ~ Nylon Magazine 09

"I grew up in the public school system and basically went today to attest to the fact of how valuable the arts have been in my education; and the synergy with which they work with, of course, science and literature and English... and mathematics of course."."~ CBS News in Washington DC Interview

“I wake up every day and cherish the fact that I was raised in a completely normal middle class lifestyle... the values and the life lessons that I learned are the ones that keep me grounded today.” (The Bert Show, Atlanta, July 13 2010)

"The first time I got on stage, I was really young, but I'll never forget the feeling it gave me -- that gratification," says Zac Efron in his segment. "The key to discovering your dreams in the first place is creativity."

I wouldn't call myself hot. I looked about 10 years old until the summer of my junior year of high school.

“My dad was a pretty intense dude, who used to actually spend time with me in the backyard, you know, playing catch, and we both knew that I was short, I was a small. But I was athletic, and I always felt like I was smarter than everyone, even the adults in the room, but my size held me back. So I just got better than everyone else, by working at it. I would throw the ball harder and faster than everyone—go harder—because I was smaller.” (Flaunt Interview – 2013)

Zac on Life

“Woo!” yells Efron, pumping the air with his right fist. “This is what it’s all about, isn’t it? This is living!”~ Nylon Magazine 09

"I admire anyone who has devoted their lives to public service," Efron said.

“I'm doing the same things as my friends in college — working, studying, trying to have fun whenever possible but usually getting pulled back into work. It's really normal for the most part, other than having to talk about how it's normal.”
~ Time Magazine interview, November 2009

"I can leave my apartment, walk around, I feel like I got my life back. I've never seen so much sidewalk before! It's beautiful!".

“I have to be productive; I like to be working on something, reading a script. It’s easier for me to sleep at night when I know I’ve gotten something accomplished during the day.” (Arizona Midday, July 15 2010)

“I think also for me it’s just a moment to myself. I can control everything that goes on, and I just sort of forget about everything, forget about press and radio and interviews and that kind of stuff... it’s kind of like an escape.” (About going to the gym - Q102 Philadelphia Interview, July 12 2010)

“Especially when I was younger, I felt like I had things figured out. If I followed the rules, if I work hard, if I put in the extra ten percent that nobody else puts in; if you follow your game plan then you will succeed. That is not the case life throws a wrench into your plan every once in a while, throws you a twist or a turn.” (Blacktree Media, July 17 2010)

“I believe in destiny. I believe destiny opens doors for you, but it's up to you to walk through them.” (@ZacEfron Twitter chat)

“Every choice that you make should be challenging and should be scary in a certain way, that’s how this is for me.” (AAP Promo, Venice Film Festival, 2012)

Random

"I’m very competitive by nature. And I like to be the underdog. It’s the best way to win. To come from behind and win is a great feeling!"

"I wake up every morning and make myself breakfast. I do the dishes and the laundry, and clean up the place."

JoJo (KIIS): You guys are nominated for 52 awards, right?
Zac: Yeah, 52...or 4. (TCA’s 2006 Red Carpet)

(talking to a koala in Australia) "Would you believe that this guy was as small as a jellybean when he was born?... - what flavor were you?" (the HSM cast in Australia 2006)

"Wow, you ladies can sit on me whenever you want" (The View 2007)

"Can I hold it?" (Jimmy Kimmel 2007)

“I don't know, my family does it a lot. You tend to get some free things that are somewhat useless in this business and I'd like to give those to my little brother. The deal was, on eBay we split it 50/50...I've seen none of that."

“Dude, just bounce. Doesn't matter what the heck you do.” (BTS of Hairspray)

Nikki: Queen Latifah has been my idol ever since I was a little girl.
Zac: Me too.

“I'm a guy, but I'm not afraid to cry. Not all of the time. But when I'm watching a movie, I'll sometimes shed a tear, especially Moulin Rouge.”

"If I splurge on anything, it's cologne. I love smelling good."

What's your hidden talent?
"I can blow bubbles with my spit." (Zac Efron – the unauthorized biography)

“Working out is my biggest hobby. It's my Zen hour. I just zone out.”

“I don’t make it long without my mom coming and cooking me a good meal or doing my laundry.”

"It would be a pretty ballsy move" ~ rumors on being in Equus.

"Note to self: Surprise Corbin on our date."

"On the dance floor I'm all about the same two step wid a little twist, in the words of Fifty Cent."

"The first time I did it, they weren't going to let me in. The guy at the gate was like, 'What are you gonna do for me?' He's like, 'I got kids.' And I was like, 'Well, I got a poster in the trunk!' It's smart to keep some swag in the trunk, just in case."

"The trick to secret texting is all about positioning," he says lowering his iPhone to just below the top of the table in his Beverly Hills hotel suite. From this position, he stares directly into my eyes while, hidden from view, his fingers move furiously, writing and sending a text at the same time. "Look!" he says triumphantly, sliding his phone across the table moments later. "And barely any spelling mistakes!"

Matt Perry: I don't understand this one. It says Chunk or Sloth?
Zac: "Hey you guys" (in Sloth's voice)
Matt: I don't understand the answer (Zac laughs) or the question.
Zac: Its a reference to Goonies.

"I miss the sidewalk! *laughs*" - Radio One, London, England

“What are the words to Michael Jackson’s Free Willy theme song again?” he asks... Efron hums the tune for the song (“Will You Be There?”) trying to recall them, then sings a few lines, pitch perfectly and without the slightest trace of self-consciousness: “Carry me, like you’re my brother/Love me like a mother/Will you be there?” He laughs. “Love that movie!”

(when asked about the title of Best Male Chest in People Magazine) “*deadpans* "It’s an intensely competitive category to win. I had to petition, I had to get like a thousand signatures. I was like door to door like, please please, will you sign this?” ~The View, November 2009

“I've never told anyone this before. This is a hair scoop. Shower before you go to bed, and then sleep on your wet hair. Towel-dry it. In the morning, it's all messed up naturally. If you have that messed-up thing going when you wake up, it's more willing to stay that way. That's Zac's hair tip.” ~ Time Magazine interview, November 2009

(cuts himself off mid sentence and holds up pen) "- I'm sorry, I still have a Sharpie. Sorry. It's like, glued to my hand these days, a Sharpie. I always have one in like, some weird pocket... the problem is if you're carrying a Sharpie then it's kinda weird, it's like you expect it (to be asked for an autograph). People always go. 'that's weird, you have a Sharpie?'; it's like '*sigh* sorry'... and I always steal them from people too! This is not my Sharpie, I stole this from somebody." ~TV3

(Interviewer from Latino Review reading a review about Zac in MAOW from IMDB)
Interviewer: watching Efron act is like he's trying to make women orgasm in every scene."
Zac: *in shock/laughs* "What can I say? How did they know?" (laughs)

Cinematical: What kind of film haven't you worked on yet, that you'd love to work on in the future?

Christian McKay:
High School Musical, for me.
Zac Efron: [Laughing] An "adult" film.....
...Zac Efron: I'd love to try every genre at some point.
Christian McKay: Especially adult films?
Zac Efron: [Laughing] Don't take that seriously.

“Dude, it’s just sleep man, you gotta sleep on it right... honesty it’s like, the messier it gets, the more it seems people talk about it.” (on his hair, The Bert Show, Atlanta, July 13 2010 )

"I went backpacking over Memorial Day weekend and I just got the worst poison oak, bro," he says. "It was my first time getting it. Dude, it's, like, everywhere. Everywhere. I can't even begin to show you, 'cause you'll get so grossed out. I look like a zombie from Dawn of the Dead." (Details, 2010)

"Oh...my...God," Efron says with a gasp. "It's like the best...orgasm...ever! And I just keep coming!" [Efron and I are in the Soho House bathroom after a pee, and he's lingering at the sink, letting the water pour over his diseased wrists.] (Details, 2010)

”If I could be any type of shoe, I'd probably be a tap shoe. So I could just annoy all the other shoes.... && people.”

”It has to get hard before you can leave”

Interviewer: Have you ever said this ‘Get ready for the Zac Attack?’
Zac: I have
Interviewer: Okay, who have you said it too?
Zac: Uhh this isn’t radio appropriate.

Jimmy Kimmel: It seems like a sad film, is it sad?
Zac Efron: Well you have to go sad places to wind up happy, I think.
JK: Like strip clubs?

“This is how it all ends.” (Punk'd, 2012)

“You just pinch and slide.” (Australian interview, demonstrating bra technique, 2012)

I notice a tattoo on his right hand, running along the base of his thumb: YOLO. ‘You Only Live Once,’ he explains. ‘I woke up with it!’ (London Evening Standard, 2012)

"A fan bit me.” (Re. His hand injury during British TLO promo, 2012)

*Zac holding up shirt that says 'We only hooked up once'* - "I hope this doesn't shrink too much." (Ellen, The Lorax Promo, 2012)

"In France they don't want autographs or pictures, they just want kisses. It's a nice place to be." (Graham Norton, 2009)

“Animals are dope!” (Blackbook, 2012)

On the Blackbook shoot: "It was all very expensive stuff, and they pooped all over it!" About the snake, "It kept coming at my face... I think he was mad because I wasn't wearing any socks." Jimmy asked, "Did you explain to the animal that your face is a national treasure and that you could not risk it in this way?" Zac’s reply "I did, he did not care." (Zac on Jimmy Kimmel – 2012)

Ellen: "You are like what they call a triple threat, but I think there's more threats to you."
Zac: "Every day is a new experience, I take it as it comes." (Zac on Ellen – 2012)

Quotes about Zac

Lucas Grabeel: "Did you ever think you'd have a "Try Me" button next to you?"

John Waters: "He will be one of those teen idols who, with fair ease, will move on to good adult roles and have a good career."

Jimmy Kimmel: "So, how are you celebrating the 'Summer of Zac'?" (Jimmy Kimmel 2007)

Nikki Blonsky:

“And then of course watching all the other actors work. I mean I probably learned the most by talking to this guy -points to Zac- and working with him.-Zac blushes- I mean he’s, he’s incredible. Just the way he works and the way he handles himself. He’s such a professional. So I truly…he’s an inspiration.”

Zac: “Am I in John’s seat? I think I’m in John’s seat. Am I?” -laughs-
Nikki: “Stop it! No, you’re in Zac’s seat.”
Zac: “Aw, Nikki.” -hugs her-

“Well, I’ll tell you basically my favorite part about Zac is the world is in love with Zac. They see him for, you know, his outer beauty. I know him for the inner beauty and it’s four times as beautiful.”

"I love him with every inch of my body and soul. He's stayed in touch and he has been so supportive through everything that I've gone through in my life; he is one of the best, best influences and people that I can ask to have in my life."

"Zac was one of the first ones to reach out to me…just hearing Zac’s voice sometimes…just…that’s always just the key, everything’s going to be okay. He’s just that signature person in my life that reassures me that life will go on and that we’ll see each other soon."

James Tupper (M&OW co-star): "We'd come out of the theatre after shooting and there's a crowd of 25 school girls screaming [...] It's like knowing a Beatle."

Leslie Mann (17 Again co-star): "My daughter, Maude, who’s 10, is in love with Zac Efron. And I just did a movie with him called 17 Again, where he plays a grown man in a 17-year-old’s body. He plays my husband. So, we got to kiss, which was very exciting for Maude. When I got home from work after doing the kissing scene, she ran up to me and licked my face because she wanted to taste Zac Efron’s spit."

Gary March (Entertainment President of Disney Channel): "He radiates this sense of attainability--as if anyone who meets him can be his friend."

Monique Coleman: "That's not something you learn in acting class. That's something you're born with. He also has a way of wooing the women by including them. By making every single girl feel like they could be his girlfriend. "

Vanessa Hudgens:

Interviewer: There's like 500 million people that have seen High School Musical 1 and 2 and out of those 500 million are a big majority of young girls totally in love with your boyfriend. How does that feel?
Vanessa: (laughs) What girl isn't in love with Zac? He's a great guy. He's awesome and he's great at what he does.

Ellen: His eyes are blue or brown? I forgot...

Vanessa: BLUE. Blue-blue.

Elijah Kelley: (on what it's like working with Zac) "It was the worst. He was a diva. Just kidding! He was the most down-to-earth dude ever. He’s my boy. I don’t really like befriend a lot of people, but he’s one who was like really genuine and down-to-earth. He recognizes real people and real friendships, so we really had a good time. We were like Ebony & Ivory 2008!"

Adam Shankman:

"As far as Link is concerned, my sister kicked the crap out of me for dismissing Zac Efron from HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL. I thought he was too Disney and didn't really understand what was so special about him besides the fact that he has the most beautiful eyes on the planet and a smile that has broken the hearts of millions. So I brought him back in to see if I could work with him after she screamed at me for about an hour about how if I didn't cast him, I would be costing the movie millions of dollars and realized that's exactly what the problem was. His smile was too broad and a little too Disney-like, so once I told him to stop smiling and read it again with a little smoke in his voice, arch his eyebrow and give me a wink when he met me; I suddenly knew I had found my Link. It was perfect. I can't wait to chop off that hair, dye it black and give him an Elvis "do". It will be like Sampson loosing his strength for a second, but then he'll recover at tenfold."

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo (if Michelangelo did anime)."

"...He does have something, truly the "It Factor" that is so high wattage. I personally don’t get it, because he is like my younger brother. He changes energy in a room when he walks in. People react differently. [My sister's] daughter, 4-year-old daughter literally melts, can’t be in the same room with him or her eyes start to turn weird. I have never seen anything like it in my life. And it’s not because she has a weird daughter. I have seen mothers do the same thing."

Kenny Ortega: "He has the talent and he has the magic. He works so hard. He's also got great looks, physical beauty, charisma. He's everybody's friend. He's a regular guy, he's grounded, he's grounded, he's real, he's considerate and generous and loving and fun. You can see he's a candidate for greatness."

Jeremy Piven: "He actually is a total sweetheart, and he was awesome, and now he’s going to become a client of Ari Gold."

Brittany Snow: "Zac Efron is one of my closest guy friends."

Chace Crawford: "I know Zac and we're actually friends," says Crawford. He's gotta make the best choice for his career at this point and I have to make the best for mine and luckily it worked out for both of us."

Claire Danes:

"I couldn't help being reminded of the time I had spent with another gifted idol, Leonardo DiCaprio, about a decade before. I saw the simmering ardor of the teenage masses turn into unbridled hysteria after Titanic was released. But this was even more intense. The difference, I realized, was that Zac is not only an actor but also a musician, a bona fide song-and-dance man. We ladies are defenseless against such a combination...But I suppose we all know that Zac, 21, is a song-and-dance man. What is less known — and what I had the privilege of learning firsthand — is that he is a performer capable of great subtlety and vulnerability...Zac met these demands with focus, humility and enthusiasm — and the result is breathtaking. It seems Zac is not only an entertainer but also an artist. He is going make us swoon for many years to come. ~ her written article for Zac in "Time's Most Influential People of 2008"

"Zac is incredible which is widely recognised by many people now."~ CBS News in Washington DC Interview

Richard Linklater:

..."Zac is fantastic. He worked really hard. I know it's always boring when people say how great everyone is they work with, but Zac's the real deal and he's going to have a really long career, because he's meant to be here."
So he's not just a song and dance man?
"He's too talented, he's too much a natural. I've never met anyone less conflicted about performing. He's just born to do what he's doing. And he's really smart, and he works hard. He has a good family. I'd say his foundation is such that he's not going to be a **** up and sabotage himself."

“I remember when I met him, Zac asked me, ‘Have you seen High School Musical?’” says Linklater. “And I said I hadn’t, and he smiled and said, ‘Well that’s good, or we might not be sitting here.’ But I don’t think that’s true... I knew right off the bat, OK, this guy is the real deal. This guy is going to have a long career.”

Some of your fans have wondered how it was that Zac Efron was cast as the lead?
Anyone who says that hasn't seen the movie. As soon as they see the movie, they never ask that again. I have no preconceptions about my actors. His performance was not surprising to me. I have a good track record with casting over the long haul. Would I cast someone who wasn't perfect for my film? He didn't get the film financed, the American industry didn't want to have anything to do with this movie-even with Zac. It's a really demanding part. He could have disappeared (next to Welles' character.) But he is a movie star. He goes toe to toe with Orson. I had to get someone who wouldn't become wallpaper. I had a meeting with him and ten seconds in I knew I had my guy.

"Zac is a leading man. To have a guy who could really go toe-to-toe with the biggest personality of the 20th century, you needed a leading man who had that charisma, and that's Zac. He really has that. The camera loves him. He has a strong presence. He's smart. Orson underestimates him and then realizes, "This kid is a step ahead of me." That's how Zac is. If you ever underestimate him, you realize that he's really two steps ahead of you. Don't play poker with him."

"Selfishly, I just want the best actor who can pull that part off. I can’t imagine anyone else. That’s a touchy part; [Efron’s character, Richard] could have disappeared. When you have these big personalities, the person who’s eyes you’re seeing it through has a tendency to become wallpaper. They can be real background. So I needed a leading man who could go toe-to-toe with Welles. It’s kind of funny when you see Welles say “Don’t worry about it, Junior,” like, oh, this little ****er is getting away with something here, in a big way. So game on. It’s fun to see Zac maneuver through all that, and that’s who he is. I always say if you underestimate Zac, you will realize quickly that he’s actually two steps ahead of you. He’s a poker player. He was apparently taking everyone’s money. The cast and crew who thought they were such good poker players, Zac comes in as the kid, “So really, is this how you do it?” And oh no, he’s really good. He just beat you. That is very telling about him. But I just think he’s really talented, you know? He’s a song and dance man. He’s kind of a throw back. He would be a great ‘30s, ’40s [star]. He works well in a period film. I first saw him in Hairspray, and I thought what he did there was pretty incredible. Some guys got it. It’s going to be interesting to see his career, because he’s got that physicality. I think he could be an action star. He could do a lot of things. [/INDENT][/LIST]
Seth Green: My celebrity crush: Zac Efron

Rob Pattinson:

"But he's all the opposite of what I thought he would be. He's so honest and down to earth."

"He was a really cool guy. That was one of the first times I’d ever been star-struck, but just because his face is so specific, it’s kind of surreal."

Christian McKay: "I don't like the fact that people want to pigeonhole somebody at the age of 22. Actors serve their apprenticeship, and to do that with such grace and humility in front a billion fans screaming at your every move and the world's press is an incredible achievement. And he's that kind of guy. He's humble, he's got his feet on the ground. And I, for one, am looking at all the wonderful performances he's going to give in the future."

PW: So for all the fans out there who never will, what does it feel like to squeeze Zac Efron's ass?[*]Nicole: I can describe it exactly: two large, firm grapefruits. It is the tightest little butt I have ever seen in my life. I was shocked because he's a slight guy -- but he is in shape! It was a nice deal; two solid grapefruits. All other booties pale in comparison!

TMZ: Zac Efron ... Is a Badass!

Bulgilicious Zac Efron on set of his new movie ~ohlalamag.com

The Guardian: "Face to face, Efron is more superhero than human. His skin glows like butterscotch. His highlights must have been applied by angels."

Interviewer: Believe nothing about Zac Efron, it's all *******
Zac: Amen. (At the CCA’s)

Amanda Crew:

“It was such a pleasant surprise meeting him to know that none of his fame has gone to his head; and he’s so down to earth and humble and genuine and present and he just immediately puts you at ease. And so pretty soon you forget that you’re talking with ‘Zac Efron’ and he’s just another guy.” (Trailer Addict)

“If there was any way for you to meet him and not know who he was, you would not know that he’s had the success he has.” (Access Hollywood)

Details 2010:

Efron's also aware that although there are scores of young girls who will, for the moment, buy tickets for any project he does regardless of its quality, there are at least as many guys, like my thirtysomething movie-junkie friend, who had a hard time accepting Efron in arguably the best movie he's made, Richard Linklater's Me and Orson Welles, because they found themselves wanting to "punch his pretty ****ing face in."

From atop the cliff, Efron determined that if he jumped too far out, he'd crash against the jagged rocks on the far edge of the pool. Maybe he also saw, down there on the rocks, the desiccated dreams of all the "real deal" actors who never panned out.

Zac Efron is not cool, and this pronouncement is neither an insult nor a revelation to him. His lack of cool has nothing to do with the fact that, as a preadolescent, he lived for community theater or that he tried to get away with wearing a fedora to school at 15. Cool is effortlessness. Efron is all effort.

17: Since you are more open, you’ve obviously been through a tough time with Justin’s fans. Do you remember being younger, and being a fan with a crush?
Selena Gomez: Are you kidding me? I’m still thinking Zac Efron’s my husband.

Thomas Lennon: "Even if you think he's good looking...he's more good looking when you're around him." - Thomas Lennon, re: Zac Efron.

Scott Hicks: ""I wanted to be a part of that transformation for him because he's clearly somebody who has a colossal future," Scott Hicks continued”

Denise Di Novia (TLO Producer: "Zac has tremendous goodness in his heart and he has a lot of integrity. This guy does not have a mean bone in his body... I wanted an actor who radiated that goodness. When I met Zac, I thought gee, that’s what he’s like." (Fido Magazine, 2012)

Ramin Bahrani:

“(Zac will...) Follow in the footsteps of great actors like Johnny Depp or Tom Cruise, who started one way and pushed themselves to another.” (Indie Wire, 2012)

As for Bahrani, “It took me about 10 seconds to know this is the perfect person for the part. Zac’s from a small town, very much John Steinbeck country. He didn’t know the darker side of the character and wanted to risk move to something new. Only by risking you can gain.” (Indie Wire, 2012)

Blackbook: "Zac Efron is the point in which the sine waves of beauty, moving through time and generations, meet; thereby increasing the pulse of beauty exponentially." (Blackbook, 2012)

Candy Mag “Nothing about him comes across as contrived, or insincere, or smoke and mirrors Hollywood-y. There is a grace, too, in the way he speaks to people, relates to his multitudes of fans, and handles hiself in public.” (Candy, 2012)

Dennis Quaid

"He’s such a great actor. He’s such a down-to-earth guy and he’s really got all the tools in the toolbox...He dedicated himself [to this film] and I think he made me better." – (Dennis Quaid – 2013)

New York Daily News critic: About CSC, “Somehow, Efron rises above the sentimentality, creating an undeniably likable portrayal of a young man in turmoil. Those who haven’t seen him since he graduated from ‘High School Musical’ may not believe it, but this former tween idol is the saving grace in a movie that needs all the miracles it can muster.”

A.O. Scott, New York Times – 2012: “Macy Gray and Mr. Efron’s scenes together — sometimes playful, sometimes awkward, sometimes painful — provide a few moments when ‘The Paperboy’ feels anchored in, and curious about, an actual social reality.”

Exclusive Media co-chairmen Nigel Sinclair and Guy East – 2012: “Zac Efron continues to impress us with his recent shift into more dramatic roles which showcase his exceptional acting skills.”

Penshoppe brand director – 2012: “Zac Efron perfectly embodies the Penshoppe person. He is energetic, stylish, fun, talented and an achiever, someone you can proudly introduce to your friends and family! He’s also a bona fide A-lister, which is a great reason for him to lead our stellar campaign.”

Recommended Links

Links to scans/interviews in major mags (i.e. GQ, Interview, Details etc)

When discussing quotes

If you're particularly impressed/amused by a quote from Zac, one of his colleagues or friends; don't hesitate to drop off the quote here!

Please also provide a source: this does not mean that you read it at "EHS" - it means the original source! This allows us to keep record of where these awesome quotes come from and credit in the OP.

Quotes can be funny, poignant, random, inspirational - anything that particularly stands out.

Previous Threads
#1: Because he says some awesome stuff
#2: "I'm still on the craziest ride of my life."
#3: "I think I've finally had a rockstar moment, it took me twenty years, but I finally did it..."
#4 - Because it's hard to keep up with all these winsome quotes but we're not complaining!
#5: I'm growing up under a magnifying glass; but I just try to rise above and live my life."
Z Quotes 6 ~ "I wanted to be a part of that transformation... he's clearly somebody who has a colossal future." - Hicks
#7 ~ “Nothing about him comes across as contrived, or insincere, or smoke and mirrors Hollywood-y."

"Don't follow your dreams, chase them"

Last edited by Define Obsession; 06-05-2013 at 02:15 PM
Old 05-19-2013, 02:24 AM
Master Fan

TFTNT! ..so many quotes! Feel like it'd take days to read them all!

“when your happiness is someone else's happiness, that is love” ~ LDR
Old 05-19-2013, 02:34 AM
Elite Fan

You're right. I think I will come here the next time I want to change my signature. I actually almost NEVER come in here because its a bit overwhelming.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:10 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks Cheryl!

We need a big OP update, not much from 2013 in there.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:12 AM
Master Fan

Know what you mean Cheryl -- so much stuff on stuff type of thing.

Quote:
"I love girls who are happy and healthy with curves…What it comes down to, as cliché and as cheesy as it sounds, when a guy gets to seriously know a girl, the things that he likes are much deeper, beyond the surface…The hard part is getting to know someone first. It's like there's some prerequisite with looks that should be abolished." (Boston Globe 2007)
This one!

Oh, & I have to say I really like this title.. reminds me of something similar one of my favourite actors, Morgan Freeman, said on the subject once.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Master Fan

this is one of my favorite threads. I love reading all the comments, especially what Zac says

icon by Shey
Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiacs (View Post)
Know what you mean Cheryl -- so much stuff on stuff type of thing.

This one!

Oh, & I have to say I really like this title.. reminds me of something similar one of my favourite actors, Morgan Freeman, said on the subject once.
I love your favorite actor. He is from my home state and he embraces it, which I love

Old 05-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Master Fan

I think Morgan Freemon is one of the greats. I hope he gets to work with Zac.
I love this quote about Zac and blockbusters...why he's not taking them.
Zac talks about blockbusters:
Canary Wharf Magazine March 2013
“There are so many stories out there, I got offered a lot of stuff after *Musical’. I did get offered franchises but that was the last thing I wanted".

“I know I’ve made a lot of people angry with my decisions, but they're my decisions ultimately.” “I’ve made conscious decisions to focus on scripts that no one thought I’d go for. And it’s nice to get the kudos for it now because before, my agent and my manager thought I was insane. I got a lot of flak after refusing some really big offers”

http://issuu.com/runwildmedia/docs/cw_march_13_issuu
from EHS wildcats.

There’s an expand-or-die, get big-or-get out philosophy amongst actors. It seems there’s a lot of people pushing towards the more commercial roles. That’s where the money is, so a lot of people go that route. It seems easier in many ways. I think for me, the more interesting choice seemed to get good and to stay, rather than to get big and get out.»

Edited at 2013-05-18 06:35 am (UTC)

icon by Shey

Last edited by KateB; 05-19-2013 at 12:27 PM
Old 05-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for opening Cheryl

Shelle
Old 05-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Master Fan

there are so many quotes, aand I love them all, but it's getting hard to find one for a specific movie or time. Maybe someday we could sort them into smaller subheadings like Zac quotes, early years, or director quotes, interview quotes, friends, like we have now, but maybe divide it so we can find early quotes, vs current sutff? If you think this is something to consider, I'd help sort out the ones I can by age or directors?

icon by Shey
Old 05-20-2013, 01:35 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for posting Those quotes Kate. This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateB (View Post)
"...I got a lot of flak after refusing some really big offers”
stood out a bit to me. I'm so happy that he always seems to have had the confidence to just go his own way no matter what other ppl might've wanted him to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacFanForever (View Post)
I love your favorite actor. He is from my home state and he embraces it, which I love
That's part of what makes him so awesome to me too. Although I have to confess my all-time fave actor is Denzel. That's a strong man & love how when the media thought he'd been with his wife too long he just squashed them.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiacs (View Post)
Thanks for posting Those quotes Kate. This:

stood out a bit to me. I'm so happy that he always seems to have had the confidence to just go his own way no matter what other ppl might've wanted him to do.
This is what I love about him, he has his plan and he is sticking to it, it goes along with the quote of him saying that if the fame all dried up tomorrow he would still continuing acting just for the love of the job

Shelle
Old 05-20-2013, 03:39 AM
Master Fan

Which is a good true indication he genuinely loves what he's doing.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for posting some more quotes, Kate
Old 05-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Master Fan

this is already listed, but I think it's hillarious that in July, 2010 Zac described himself as a couch potato!!
“In terms of agility and strength I think it is important to stay fit for work; the kind of characters that I eventually want to be playing are the type of guys that get out into the world and do stuff, they’re not couch potatoes like I am.”

icon by Shey